Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    I want an app that reads those funny looking barcode things.
    I haven't used it but the app catalog has "QR deCODEr" for free.
    3rd party apps are a great option to have and the amount even more important for most consumers. I for one am more excited to see how the talented Homebrew community supports the Touchpad and webOS 3.0

I have an ipad2 for my tablet right now. I have 5 apps downloaded, but surprising these apps are to help support things that iOS should be able to do out of the box. I had to use Xcode just to enable what Apple calls their multitasking gestures. This is my first iOS device and I am very disappointed with the OS. I can honestly say a fat app catalogue is not going to change the fact that I need to pay $9.99 a month to view an apple optimized version of Hulu or have to go though iTunes to get new update versions of the OS and the proprietary dock connecters. No USB drop and drag here. The end user experience for me is just not enjoyable with too many steps to take to perform simple tasks.
    I really like the direction HP is taking right now. More cloud integration and wireless communication between devices on the webOS platform.
    The one thing I can say about the iPad 2 is that the metals and materials used are far above what I think anyone will be able to match. Their products are beautiful and very solid. The demand is so high Apple is able to keep their price points low. Hopefully HP can be able to hit the sweet spot on pricing of their upcoming products. Regardless I will be buying the TP and pre3. I am addicted to this stuff.
    It's not all about apps, but one big part is. Pre sales started more than good, but it declined due lots of complaints and problems not in relation with apps. Lack of apps is something that is killing platform on long run and makes it unattractive, and that is state in which is WebOS now.
    I agree that IOS and Android app stores are flooded with junk, but beside junk, users can find many great things ether.
    I'm using now GalaxyS and I have great speed and apps I needed badly all this time - doc editor, rdp client, iGO maps with voice directions for whole Europe, music player with EQ settings, digital headphone amplifier, calendar and weather widgets, option to set privileged contacts which can ring when I put phone in silent mode. If I had that few apps on WebOS I wouldn't go over the fence. More important, without similar apps on WebOS I will never go back.
    To revive app support for WebOS HP should first clear mess with app catalog. Second, HP should try to recruit some of top IOS and Android devs to join, you know - straight approach. No one will hang up call from HP, and at least devs will consider, if app migration process is not too time consuming.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Yeah, phone/tablet sales should attract attention of developers. Goes back to what I said earlier - hopefully HP doesn't take the lazy way out and pray that good sales will magically deliver apps.

IMHO, HP needs a solid game plan to get the word out and attract developers' attention. Not just commercials or gimmicks but solid action to build those relationships and provide motivation to deliver WebOS apps. It would be nice to have some insight on what they're doing.

Heck, I just upgraded to Firefox 4.0 and noticed their mobile browser that's out for Android called Spark. The Mozilla website says "We currently have no plans to develop Firefox for the Palm Pre/webOS platform". That's a shame.

It's been good reading different points of view. It's refreshing to see others have the same concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Yeah, phone/tablet sales should attract attention of developers. Goes back to what I said earlier - hopefully HP doesn't take the lazy way out and pray that good sales will magically deliver apps.

IMHO, HP needs a solid game plan to get the word out and attract developers' attention. Not just commercials or gimmicks but solid action to build those relationships and provide motivation to deliver WebOS apps. It would be nice to have some insight on what they're doing.

Heck, I just upgraded to Firefox 4.0 and noticed their mobile browser that's out for Android called Spark. The Mozilla website says "We currently have no plans to develop Firefox for the Palm Pre/webOS platform". That's a shame.

It's been good reading different points of view. It's refreshing to see others have the same concerns.
    Hi all,

HP has maintained that they would leverage their corporate accounts to sell TouchPads. In other words, they would cut very lucrative deals on computer equipment, software etc, things other than webOS products if they would agree to use TouchPads & webOS smartphones for their corporate needs. They also said that they would have webOS apps written for these clients.

If I'm not mistaken I posted an article about HP having apps written for corp clients about a week ago.

The more they are able to do this, the more call there will be for apps for all webOS products.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If enterprise wants to embrace a little known non-windows platform, they would embrace the google chromebooks for $28 a month, not webos.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HP has maintained that they would leverage their corporate accounts to sell TouchPads. In other words, they would cut very lucrative deals on computer equipment, software etc, things other than webOS products if they would agree to use TouchPads & webOS smartphones for their corporate needs. They also said that they would have webOS apps written for these clients.

The more they are able to do this, the more call there will be for apps for all webOS products.
    This falls into the realm of a gimmick to me. Lots of "ifs" and "maybes" in this approach. This is more of a ploy to sell more WebOS hardware, not to provide valuable apps for the general public.

Please don't take this personally, I understand you're trying to be positive and support HP. But where's something concrete that shows what HP has planned to address the point of the thread? Until they open up and share details with the public, this is all speculation.

Look back at all the examples people have given about apps which are not on WebOS. This plan to provide equipment won't convince these developers mentioned earlier on to reconsider releasing versions for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    This is more of a ploy to sell more WebOS hardware, not to provide valuable apps for the general public.
    Hi.

Don't you think HP is smart enough to have figured that out for themselves?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Don't you think HP is smart enough to have figured that out for themselves?
    Yep... that goes right to the main concern I've been saying all along. Hoping that HP doesn't take the lazy way out by praying hardware sales magically delivers good apps. I'm not going to bother repeating what's already been said multiple times.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpreplus View Post
    To solve the riddle, I bought an ipod touch g4 so I have apps. I use the mobile hot spot on my Pre Plus to go online. I use my phone like a phone and my ipod as an app toy.
    Very simple solution.
    I wound up in a similar circumstance, only with a Dell Streak, which is by the way a simply incredible device. I long ago realized the limited growth potential for my Pre Plus. I have found that apps extended the usefulness of your device. I didn't take long to extend the Pre Plus to its fullest potential.

With the Android device, I now have a very good GPS navigation system with offline built in easily upgradeable maps. Easy free wireless file transfer. Several excellent music apps. Several browsers to choose from. Things like Netflix and Audible. As customizable as webOS is, Android is even more customizable.

My Pre is still a workhorse, just in a different way. Mobile Hotspot, phone,
    sms machine and quite frankly, from a user interface perspective. webOS is just superior. I do anticipate upgrading next year possibly to the Pre 3 which I find appealing. April 2012 is a long way off in the mobile space. Here's hoping HP can raise webOS to where it deserves to be.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345