Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    desperately seeking the void to be filled between the calendar app on pre and the treo, how about letting me send meeting invites??

also ignore a call with text, again, puzzling it is still not available.

i can give or take more fart apps, slicing fruit, or angry birds. great time wasters but not why i bought the phone and bought into the palm platform so long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    When HP puts out their quality hardware, devs will make apps. Right now there is nothing to inspire them. HP will do a relaunch to spark up the interest.

The apps will flow like spice in Dune
    Hardware alone doesn't lure developers, a market share does.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Hardware alone doesn't lure developers, a market share does.
    We shall see. Fortunately, I'm enjoying ios, will jump on an Opal if the "cards" are right, pun intended
    I feel like "good" apps are the key. Numbers mean nothing; Android reports are almost lies, as they include so much more than just apps (wallpapers, ringtones, etc., none of which are "apps").

I have a DROID Incredible right now as my main phone (waiting on the Pre 3). I literally have three apps installed, and I don't like any of them. Those are Tweetdeck (the only usable Twitter client, imho), Facebook, and Engadget. That's it; three apps out of the hundreds of thousands that are available. Why? Because I don't like to use any of the others. They just aren't good enough.

iOS is different, because it has the numbers and the quality. webOS is similar, in that it captures much of the quality. The numbers aren't there, though, which is the problem you are conveying. Go try to find a Twitter client that matches Carbon on Android, and you'll search forever. Try the same on iOS, and you'll find TweetBot, Twitterrific, etc.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iralevine View Post
    also ignore a call with text, again, puzzling it is still not available.
    What does "ignore a call with text" mean? I'm just curious about that feature.
    HP doesn't need tons of apps out the gate. What it does need are the key apps that are already extremely popular on other platforms. Those big names will bring the consumers in, and once the consumers are in, smaller developers will come and then you will get your app count explosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    What does "ignore a call with text" mean? I'm just curious about that feature.
    Calls that come in and you don't answer will be sent a pre determined text message of your choosing, like "I'm in a meeting, will call you back after 10:00."
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If it was all about the apps, iPhone would never have gotten off the ground, starting as it did without a single third-party app and only getting the first ones alongside the 3G - especially not if you consider that Windows Mobile and Palm had hundreds of thousands of apps available at the time...
    Your statement is a bit over-simplified. iPhone was successful initially because it was able to piggy-back on the success of the iPod. iPods were/are the music player of choice. They had a HUGE market. The iPhone (initially) allowed users to take their music library, and store, along with them on their phone; two devices in one. Games and other apps followed shortly there after.

While I agree that most apps are useless, perception is reality for the general public. So, having more apps (no matter their usefulness) is better. Like it or not, HP and WebOS face a very long uphill battle. I, for one, hope they do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I would imagine that most smartphone platforms would consider it off-limits for 3rd party app to intercept a call or to even automatically send a text message. That would probably be rife for some kind of malicious intent.
    What you believe a third party is involved?
    This is the main reason I'm not on webOS too. As much as I love webOS more than iOS, I'm going to stick with the iPhone 4. When my upgrade is up next year, I'll see what HP's doing. Hopefully by then we'll see more "super apps" on webOS.
    Here is a "super-app" that Pre and TP need. Netflix just released an Android app that works great on my Evo. I can watch anything on the Netflix stream that I could at home for no additional charge over what we already pay.

As one that would love to come back to WebOS, if something competitive ever comes to sprint, this is the kind of thing I would want to have and that that will draw the public. Numbers of apps will draw some people, no doubt, but HP is not going to be able to compete that way, so they need things like this to get people to sign on.
    Hi all,

HP has maintained all along that if needed they would write apps for webOS, pay to have others ported and even hire employees into the webOS division or section to make sure that the app total grows.

It is working b/c these days on an almost daily basis we see articles on this site talking about new apps added to webOS.

This is from last Friday May 06th to today Thursday May 12. Keep in mind these are the ones that were mention in articles here on Precentral for all I know there are even more.

This week alone, the following were added:

SmashWords
    Google docs added editing
    Exhibition: Photo Slideshow
    WhitePages
    Mode Switcher
    •Motocross Challenge
    •NDrive got more releases to cover North America and parts of Europe, .
    •Kookaroo Roku Remote
    •Splashtop Remote Desktop

Not bad considering most of the smartphone industry wrote us off last year.

One other point to ponder: HP has stated a number of times that there would be a great deal of native apps on the TouchPad, since webOS 3.xx would be brand new. That will bring the numbers up as well.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

HP has maintained all along that if needed they would write apps for webOS, pay to have others ported and even hire employees into the webOS division or section to make sure that the app total grows.

It is working b/c these days on an almost daily basis we see articles on this site talking about new apps added to webOS.

This is from last Friday May 06th to today Thursday May 12. Keep in mind these are the ones that were mention in articles here on Precentral for all I know there are even more.

This week alone, the following were added:

SmashWords
    Google docs added editing
    Exhibition: Photo Slideshow
    WhitePages
    Mode Switcher
    •Motocross Challenge
    •NDrive got more releases to cover North America and parts of Europe, .
    •Kookaroo Roku Remote
    •Splashtop Remote Desktop

Not bad considering most of the smartphone industry wrote us off last year.

One other point to ponder: HP has stated a number of times that there would be a great deal of native apps on the TouchPad, since webOS 3.xx would be brand new. That will bring the numbers up as well.
    That is fine and dandy, but HP can't do this alone. It seems like all of the creative-type's develop for iOS, so for me it's not only what's available in the app store today, but also what I'm most likely going to be blown away by tomorrow.

It's every week that I open up the iOS app store and just amazed by some of the things people create. This isn't Apple's doings but ordinary, creative developers with a passion.
    I think a lot of devs are waiting to see how the Touchpad and other devices are not only received, but how well they are pushed (and supported) by HP and the carriers. If the devices take off... devs would be crazy not to get in fast and early. Unless you have a product like Rovio, you would have a better chance at standing out and selling apps in a smaller crowd than blending in and getting lost in a catalog like the larger players. Granted, if webOS takes off the catalog may get to be that big... but I'd think it would be good to take a chance and get in sooner than later. /2cents
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That is fine and dandy, but HP can't do this alone. It seems like all of the creative-type's develop for iOS, so for me it's not only what's available in the app store today, but also what I'm most likely going to be blown away by tomorrow.

It's every week that I open up the iOS app store and just amazed by some of the things people create. This isn't Apple's doings but ordinary, creative developers with a passion.
    Hi,

I WOULDN'T write HP & webOS off.... HP has plenty of very, very deep pockets. In addition, look at all of the great people we have in the Home Brew section. Keep in mind that the Home Brewers will be very busy will all of the new features of webOS 2.xx & webOS 3.xx.

You described some of the app creators for Apple as: creative developers with a passion. Perhaps you should thumb thru the Home Brew section, b/c that is a perfect description of all of them.....and/or meet some of them albeit here online.

Furthermore, what makes you think HP hasn't approached some of the people that write apps for Apple...after all they are free to write for any platform they wish and HP has lots of $ to spend.

HP isn't run by a bunch of dopes. Trust me they know that unless we get the app totals up, people will not buy webOS smartphones. The public pays attention to total number of apps...which is foolish since survey after survey shows that people load their smartphone up with apps and never use more than 3 to 5....

Furthermore, from what my friends who have an Iphone tell me that a great deal of the apps for iOS are junk such as: imitation of bodily noises...we sure can live without having tons of those....who buys stuff like that 12 year old boys perhaps??? ...(I know there are some of them for webOS, however, I understand there are way too many of such apps for the Iphone).

Before the year is out, HP will be offering a number of things that Apple doesn't and perhaps can't.

1. smartphones in multiple sizes: IE: Pre2, Veer & Pre3 ALL with KEYBOARDS!
    2. TouchPad, I expect there will be a number of models sold.
    3. Only webOS allows for true and total multi tasking.
    4. instant transfer of data to phone from Pad and vice versa.
    5 Magnetic induction charging AKA Touchstone.
    6. I'm sure that before the year is out, HP will roll out at least one model but I think at least two keyboard-less smartphones AKA slab phones.

One other thing about 2 months ago, HP was awarded a HUGE contract from the US Army, to design a handheld, (the word smartphone wasn't used, however one can deduce that will be part of it & (that of course does other classified things as well), it will have a fold up or roll up screen.

Palm has a number of patents for Roll up screens and HP has a number of patents for fold up screens. Both are now possible with OLCD's. Only a fool would think that technology won't make it to HP's line of smartphones....In addition HP is getting paid for research and design for these, as opposed to spending HP's money to develop it....so that is better for us. Also keep in mind that the Men & Woman who will be using this device will end up using some form of webOS...that will also help attract customers to webOS.

Please don't bury webOS and/or dismiss HP, webOS, loyal Palm fans, (I have been a palm user for almost 10 years), app creators and last but certainly NOT LEAST the team of Home Brewers.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Having deep pockets only goes so far. Microsoft has super deep pockets and windows mobile is more well known and used then webos and even with all that advertising and deep pockets they cant get off the ground. Even after they made the OS more user friendly.why . the apps , what little they have stink. if they had some good apps they would have been more successful. Apps will determine if the Pre3 is a success or not. No one is going to buy it for the OS. Well outside the folks here who are a small minority. This is where I think the touchpad comes in. I think the pre 3 will be a huge bomb BUT i think the touchpad will be a success and as folks use that and developers make apps for it the next webos phone will be a hit as people will want webos with all the apps that came from a successful tablet. I think the tablet is the key to webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Having deep pockets only goes so far. Microsoft has super deep pockets and windows mobile is more well known and used then webos and even with all that advertising and deep pockets they cant get off the ground. Even after they made the OS more user friendly.why . the apps , what little they have stink. if they had some good apps they would have been more successful. Apps will determine if the Pre3 is a success or not. No one is going to buy it for the OS. Well outside the folks here who are a small minority. This is where I think the touchpad comes in. I think the pre 3 will be a huge bomb BUT i think the touchpad will be a success and as folks use that and developers make apps for it the next webos phone will be a hit as people will want webos with all the apps that came from a successful tablet. I think the tablet is the key to webos.
    Hi,
    Putting it bluntly...the rumor that webOS, the Veer & Pre3 is dead is greatly exaggerated!

Take care,

Jay
    I want an app that reads those funny looking barcode things.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The best hope for the platforms other than iOS and Android are the development platforms that can generate apps that are compatible with the others. These will be useful for niche apps that non-technology companies like banks and merchants to "get an app out there".

However, these will work kind of like web apps where the experience is sluggish and generic. They won't take advantage of any of the latest capabilities of the device such as voice recognition and augmented reality. It's not the best option for most developers because a native app will always be more compelling for the user.

In short, 3rd to 5th tier platforms will have apps but they will rarely be the best apps nor the newest apps.
    Hi,

The Veer hasn't official went on sale, the Pre3 is still a few weeks or months away and so is the TouchPad...let's not bury them just yet....

I still think that HP's size, clout and money will get apps written. Don't you think that Ruby ET AL haven't thought about the fact that high quality apps are needed?

Take care,

Jay
    Microsoft said that devlopers would support them and they didnt exactly. You can get app developers to do anything until you show you have a large enough customer base. Again thats key and again I think the key is the tablet . WEBOS will live and die by the tablet in my opinion. No one is saying the veer and pre 3 are dead . they cant be dead . they not even here yet. webos is pretty much on life support with the plug falling out . the Tablet will save webos in my opinion and in turn will have good selling webos phones with good apps in a few years. Android and Iphone are king now . but nothing last forever. 5 years it could be webos or something else we havent seen yet.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/13/2011 at 01:48 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast