Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    To solve the riddle, I bought an ipod touch g4 so I have apps. I use the mobile hot spot on my Pre Plus to go online. I use my phone like a phone and my ipod as an app toy.
    Very simple solution.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Some links. I paraphrased the articles:

pcworld.com
    From October: 39% of smartphone owners regularly download apps. Half haven't downloaded one in the past month. Average apps is 14, with most being downloaded during the initial "app download honeymoon." 43% don't plan to download any more apps. 46% bought their phone just because they wanted "the latest gadget."

Deloitte survey
    From September: 18% cited apps as reason for phone decision. Most cited size, camera, quality, keyboard, and price. Only 65% have downloaded an app.

Forrester Research
    From last week: This site references a Forrester Research study that says only 1/3rd of smartphone users download apps at least once a month.
    Amazon has given for free more paid Android apps than I can find to buy on webOS...

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post

For me, my phone is simply that, a phone. To receive, make and do some extra's. At the end of the day, it's really all I need.
    You know this is an interesting point.

Back 'in the day', when I first ditched a land line (maybe 8 years ago?) I had an unlimited plan. I figured I spent so much time on the phone for work and personal, AND without a home phone, it only made sense.

I noticed over the years, esp when I began having access to texting and then, to email, on my phone, that my phone usage began to decline.

I racheted back from my sweet unlimited deal to 1200 min/mo. Then I rolled back to 950 min/mo.

Then 750.

Today, I am on 450 minutes per month. And you know what? I NEVER max out.

Instead of calling someone to say "I'll be there in ten minutes" (a 10 second call for which I'd get dinged 60 seconds) I text them - or better yet, I texted them before I even got on the road, with my ETA.

Instead of calling my SO to tell him my flight number, I emailed it on the fly.

So for me, "a phone being a phone first and foremost" just doesn't exist anymore.

The only time I actually TALK on my phone is 1) at work, and 2) on the weekends, usually on bluetooth while I am working in the yard, to my long distance family. That's it.

The rest of the time, it seems like its a conveyer for info that is short, to the point or setting up a F2F.

I get that this is not everyone's experience, and certainly if I traveled more frequently for work, it would be a different story, but even when I do, I just sync to a computer for much of that instant communication.
    If it was all about the apps, iPhone would never have gotten off the ground, starting as it did without a single third-party app and only getting the first ones alongside the 3G - especially not if you consider that Windows Mobile and Palm had hundreds of thousands of apps available at the time.

Back then, the argument was that it's all about the user experience. I still follow that argument, especially when I see that none of my smartphone-using friends (a few webOS guys and gals, a bunch of Android people and a whole slew of iPhoners) have more than 15 apps on their phones and that my Pre has the most apps far and wide at 40-something. Long-tail app numbers are an ePhallus to wave around. Who cares that Android has 10.000 fart apps and soundboards, 15.000 apps that do nothing but replicate a single website's content 1:1, and 20.000 different apps all doing the same 20 tasks?

Certain individual apps themselves are a different story entirely, and webOS is missing a few really big names that people are in fact looking for. Shazam comes to mind, and so does Whatsapp. Complaining about the lack of such big-name apps makes sense. Complaining that webOS doesn't have 200.000 apps when other people are already complaining that webOS has too many trash apps doesn't make any sense, especially not when you realize that Android's and iPhone's app numbers are predominantly made up by such trash apps. And that isn't even mentioning the fact that, unless they've recently changed something, one app available in 10 languages counts as 10 apps in Appleland, or that a lot of the most popular Android apps are task managers, different launchers, and so on - stuff we call patches.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post

pcworld.com
    From October: 39% of smartphone owners regularly download apps. Half haven't downloaded one in the past month. Average apps is 14, with most being downloaded during the initial "app download honeymoon." 43% don't plan to download any more apps. 46% bought their phone just because they wanted "the latest gadget."

Deloitte survey
    From September: 18% cited apps as reason for phone decision. Most cited size, camera, quality, keyboard, and price. Only 65% have downloaded an app.

Forrester Research
    From last week: This site references a Forrester Research study that says only 1/3rd of smartphone users download apps at least once a month.

Very interesting things, I wouldn't expect these numbers. This means that probably there is hope for webOS.

I'm somewhere in the middle in this discussion. I don't give a damn about having the ability to choose among thousands of apps. However I want a few dozens good working apps in my OS and currently not everything is available in webOS.
    HP/Palm should get to their wagon all these great guys who make patches and apps for Preware in order to improve webOS and should also try to get some "big names" app to have webOS versions. I mean apps that are very famous like maybe some GPS apps, WhatsApp, Shazam, a real Messenger app, better Facebook etc.

HP/Palm is not able to have instantly millions of apps. First you make a good product (and as I like my Pre 2 and hope that Pre 3 will be even better) and give it basic functionality.
    Give it good synergy, good calendars, a good browser, word processor (where are Documents to Go) and these "big name" apps that every OS has. So that at least you don't have millions of apps but you have a good foundation and full functionality. Then you advertise the hell out of it (a company like HP has the resources for that) because after all webOS is a great OS and you will get more users. Users that will know that will have a great OS and will do most of the things they want.
    THEN will be the time where the apps will become thousands and thousands (with developers seeing an OS standing on its feet) and even the "app-crazy" users will come.
    For me this is the working order of things.

I'm not very optimistic, although I'm enjoying my Pre 2. I just wish I could do 10 more things and I believe that many users are like me. HP/Palm should try to make webOS do more things with a few more needed apps. This is the first step for them, I just hope they understand it.

And lastly, please please stop the madness with the geo-restrictions in App Store. Most of the guys here are from the US, but for us who don't have full access to the Store this thing is a huge disadvantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post

pcworld.com

Deloitte survey

Forrester Research
    Maybe all the people surveyed are webos users LOL.

Google: Android app downloads. 4.5 billion, which was also mentioned by Google in yesterday's keynote. If that's true, would you attribute that to just a few fans?

For all those who say apps are not that big a deal, you only need a few, the built in apps are just fine, wait until webos has parity. It's about choice. The built in app does not do all you want? Download another. Often the paid apps provide more and better functionality then stock apps. I can tell by some of the comments that some posters have no idea what's out there.

When the webos catalog is chuggin' full of apps a day, there will be so much activity here talking about the latest and greatest that no one will be thinking about their stock apps.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/11/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

Google: Android app downloads. 4.5 billion, which was also mentioned by Google in yesterday's keynote. If that's true, would you attribute that to just a few fans?

For all those who say apps are not that big a deal, you only need a few, the built in apps are just fine, wait until webos has parity. It's about choice. The built in app does not do all you want? Download another. Often the paid apps provide more and better functionality then stock apps. I can tell by some of the comments that some posters have no idea what's out there.

When the webos catalog is chuggin' full of apps a day, there will be so much activity here talking about the latest and greatest that no one will be thinking about their stock apps.
    That's kind of what I gather.

Many here have never experienced what's available on the iPhone and/or Android. There are so many creative things available on those platforms that makes one stop and think "seriously, this IS much more than just a phone"; I've had family members – that had the same mentality as many here – come to me after getting a new smartphone and tell me how much of their life has changed because of this new device.

My cousin and his wife recently upgraded to VZW iPhone's from a BlackBerry and Android device; he has been going nuts with the apps. It seems like every day I am receiving a request to join some new network he's discovered that is iOS exclusive. It's also better connected us. We never talked on the phone, just occasional text's, Facebook and email. Now, we use an app called Voxer on a daily basis; in place of txt's we send each other quick walkie-talkie like messages. We play games on the phone over multiplayer (super stick golf is awesome!) and share moments of our lives through Path that we wouldn't share on Facebook (like child photos, etc.)

It's more than just apps, for some, it's a way of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    You know this is an interesting point.

Back 'in the day', when I first ditched a land line (maybe 8 years ago?) I had an unlimited plan. I figured I spent so much time on the phone for work and personal, AND without a home phone, it only made sense.

I noticed over the years, esp when I began having access to texting and then, to email, on my phone, that my phone usage began to decline.

I racheted back from my sweet unlimited deal to 1200 min/mo. Then I rolled back to 950 min/mo.

Then 750.

Today, I am on 450 minutes per month. And you know what? I NEVER max out.

Instead of calling someone to say "I'll be there in ten minutes" (a 10 second call for which I'd get dinged 60 seconds) I text them - or better yet, I texted them before I even got on the road, with my ETA.

Instead of calling my SO to tell him my flight number, I emailed it on the fly.

So for me, "a phone being a phone first and foremost" just doesn't exist anymore.

The only time I actually TALK on my phone is 1) at work, and 2) on the weekends, usually on bluetooth while I am working in the yard, to my long distance family. That's it.

The rest of the time, it seems like its a conveyer for info that is short, to the point or setting up a F2F.

I get that this is not everyone's experience, and certainly if I traveled more frequently for work, it would be a different story, but even when I do, I just sync to a computer for much of that instant communication.
    Yeah...I've never been a phone-talker. My wife uses about 95% of the time on our bill. If I could get a Sprint plan with Any-Mobile, Any-Time and LESS than 1500 minutes I would since she mostly calls mobile numbers anyway.

Heck, I've even moved the phone app off the quick launcher since it's less important to me than messaging and email.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Actually I've had other smartphones and I've been using various OS since the ol' good WM6. For me it's quality over quantity.

The ability to choose from 4-5 similar apps can exist without having a million apps available. Android is at one end and webOS is at the other end. I'm sure I could live with something in between if webOS became more popular.

Most of the things you describe in your last paragraph barkerja can be done without the need of a gazzilion secret iOS network apps etc.
    So, what apps do you use every day?
    What do you wish your Pre could do that it can't?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhyers View Post
    So, what apps do you use every day?
    What do you wish your Pre could do that it can't?
    Is the question for me or the OP ?

When I bought my Pre+ I was expecting to get full Document Editing (Word & Excel) and that is a deal breaker for me. My 1995 Cassiopeia E100 had it, and it's rediculous that the Pre doesn't.

I also bought the phone (VZW Pre+) believing that GPS would work, and it doesn't.

Edit: The pdf viewer is barely usable and needs improvement.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Edit docs, better PDF support, play multiple video formats, better msn messenger apps current offering are terrible and overpriced
    Add to the former Shazam, a good GPS navigation program, a good agenda-calendar app and the ability to sync my data to my PC and I'd be more satisfied than I am now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

Google: Android app downloads. 4.5 billion
    Including app updates, failed downloads and subsequent re-attempts, internal testing of the Android Market ("What happens to our phone if you try to install 100 apps at the same time? What happens to our server if 1000 phones try it at the same time? How can we find out?"), users trying out different ROMs and having to download all of their apps every time (remember that Android isn't as versatile as webOS and essentially requires a full OS reinstall for situations in which we'd just install and uninstall a patch) as well as the outliers with 200 apps on their phone - remember that the statistics aren't saying that such people do not exist, they're just saying they're few and far between.

I maintain that the average user doesn't care for having many apps. The average user only cares for those apps that give her access to any given functionality she cares for... and those apps form a very small subset of the X00.000 apps found in the Apple App Store and Google Android Market.

Or, of course, they only polled webOS and Bada users. Believe what you will as it's still a mostly free country, but eh...
    Hi all,

I'd like to chime in as well...

a number of recent polls show that MOST people load their phone up with apps and never use more than 3 or more! Yes I want there to me more apps we all do! However, we are growing at a nice clip.

BTW HP has claimed they were going to load the TouchPad with a great deal of native apps since the TP will in a sense be a new platform being that it will be webOS 3.xx!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Including app updates, failed downloads and subsequent re-attempts, internal testing of the Android Market ("What happens to our phone if you try to install 100 apps at the same time? What happens to our server if 1000 phones try it at the same time? How can we find out?"), users trying out different ROMs and having to download all of their apps every time (remember that Android isn't as versatile as webOS and essentially requires a full OS reinstall for situations in which we'd just install and uninstall a patch) as well as the outliers with 200 apps on their phone - remember that the statistics aren't saying that such people do not exist, they're just saying they're few and far between.

I maintain that the average user doesn't care for having many apps. The average user only cares for those apps that give her access to any given functionality she cares for... and those apps form a very small subset of the X00.000 apps found in the Apple App Store and Google Android Market.

Or, of course, they only polled webOS and Bada users. Believe what you will as it's still a mostly free country, but eh...
    I guess you did not notice the LOL at end, so to be clear, I was joking about only webos users polled.

I respect your right to maintain whatever thought you wish. Fortunately the world doesn't always conform to individual thought.
    Long live apps stores, multiple variation of apps, billions of downloads and freedom of choice. All platforms that can't adapt will die, and that goes for iOS and android too.
    Just because you think an app stinks, doesn't mean everyone else does. I would rather have a selection then not (low quality or not).
    My wife finally broke down and got an iphone for Christmas. She said she didn't want apps and probably would use them. But guess what, she does. Many of the ones she like are not on WebOS tho. So a variety is important. I still use my Pre because the Operating system is just so much better. I am hoping as the Pre 3 comes out so will more apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Just because you think an app stinks, doesn't mean everyone else does. I would rather have a selection then not (low quality or not).
    My wife finally broke down and got an iphone for Christmas. She said she didn't want apps and probably would use them. But guess what, she does. Many of the ones she like are not on WebOS tho. So a variety is important. I still use my Pre because the Operating system is just so much better. I am hoping as the Pre 3 comes out so will more apps.
    When HP puts out their quality hardware, devs will make apps. Right now there is nothing to inspire them. HP will do a relaunch to spark up the interest.

The apps will flow like spice in Dune
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast