Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's the deal. About a year ago I bought my first webOS device, the Palm Pixi. I loved the form factor and webOS in general. I knew after reading reviews that I was buying somewhat of an underpowered phone that had issues, but I was willing to compromise because of the form factor. I figured the next-generation of webOs phones would fix the performance issues. But after reading Joshua Topolsky's review at I'm convinced that the lag may actually be due to the software and not the hardware. This is a huge deal. These bugs should be fixed by now, especially considering how long they have been making us wait for new devices. Mark my words now, when the Pre 3 an Touchpad are released they'll both have these same performance issues even with the high end processors.
    I don't have any problem with any such lag and didn't even on my Pre Plus (much less my current Pre 2).
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    You decided to make this your first post?

I think that we'll have to see how webOS preforms. It's been a long time but mergers slow things down. TouchPad will have to be snappy. They can update the Veer to 3.0 to get it snappy in the future but yes, speedier is a better experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpritchard View Post
    Mark my words now, when the Pre 3 an Touchpad are released they'll both have these same performance issues even with the high end processors.
    No, I won't mark your words now because, in case you didn't know, TouchPad will release with WebOS 3.0, which is re-written from the ground up. I also have to believe that Pre 3 will also be released with WebOS 3.0.

How can you be so confident in the future TouchPad and Pre 3 performance issues when they're not even close to release yet?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    You decided to make this your first post?
    That bad? I still like the Veer, I'm just let down with the performance especially after my Pixi experience.
    Last edited by jkpritchard; 05/09/2011 at 08:14 PM.
    The OP should install UberKernel and and enjoy some overclocking.
    I watched Josh's review also. I don't have lag issues like that on my Pixi+. Honestly, his swipes to delete the emails seemed a little careless. I also wonder if the amount of mail in his inbox might be contributing to the issue. It was a fairly large amount.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The OP should install UberKernel and and enjoy some overclocking.
    The fact that you have to install homebrew(which your average consumer won't do) to get the Veer to perform properly is a bad sign. And again, this looks like a SOFTWARE issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    How can you be so confident in the future TouchPad and Pre 3 performance issues when they're not even close to release yet?
    How do I know? Because everything Palm(and now HP) have done up to this point has been a total joke. WebOS is awesome, we agree on that point. But they need a serious reality check if they want to be competitive(i.e. gain market share) in this market. You can't refresh webOS and still have issues as simple as a laggy e-mail client.
    Last edited by jkpritchard; 05/09/2011 at 08:16 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I watched Josh's review also. I don't have lag issues like that on my Pixi+. Honestly, his swipes to delete the emails seemed a little careless. I also wonder if the amount of mail in his inbox might be contributing to the issue. It was a fairly large amount.
    I've had your mentality for a while now. I keep making excuses to forgive Palm and HP. But I'm at a point now where I'm growing impatient. Also, have you used Gmail before? It stores a massive amount of emails, so that type of inbox is the norm now. HP should adjust. Maybe not make it sync immediately would fix the problem. But HP has to be smart to think of that, right?
    Last edited by jkpritchard; 05/09/2011 at 08:16 PM.
    How do I know? Because everything Palm(and now HP) have done up to this point has been a total joke.
    HP hasn't done anything yet. The software they have been working on this whole time isn't even on the Veer. 2.0 was made by Palm, and patched by HP... 3.0 is HP's rendition of WebOS.

I seriously think everyone should wait to pass judgement on HP until 3.0 is released.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

11.    #11  
    HP hasn't done anything yet. The software they have been working on this whole time isn't even on the Veer. 2.0 was made by Palm, and patched by HP... 3.0 is HP's rendition of WebOS.
    It has HP branding on it doesn't it? Call it HP, Palm, HPalm, whatever. The average consumer(who HP is now targeting) doesn't care about the merger drama, they just want a phone that performs. And the bottom line here is this brand new, next gen webOS device has performance issues...STILL!
    I must ask you, jkpritchard, have you used the Veer? Have you experienced these performance issues, firsthand? I'm just curious because I find it hard to believe that there are major performance problems with the Veer.

13.    #13  
    I must ask you, jkpritchard, have you used the Veer? Have you experienced these performance issues, firsthand?
    Nope, haven't used the Veer, but isn't that video evidence enough? I'll play with it in the AT&T store just like I did with the Pixi before I bought it. But the email issue Josh had in that video is IDENTICAL to the issue I have with my Pixi.

Trust me, I want to like the Veer as badly as anyone else. I'll probably still buy it, but I'm just getting fed up with webOS performance that isn't consistent. Especially considering the competition.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    ok, he had 380+ emails in his Gmail TRASH folder, he was using a search to filter them (so there were likely more emails than that in the folder) AND he was pawing the screen with his thumb like a spaz trying to swipe the emails away. i would hardly liken that situation to "performance issues". Did you watch the webOSRoundup video where they forced the Veer to give a TMC error with 30+ applications loaded? it didn't even start to lag until he had close to 30 open INCLUDING three PDK games.

i understand Josh is unhappy with the Veer being released before the TouchPad and Pre3. I get that he's not happy with the direction HP is going currently with webOS. Personally I feel his review of the Veer was overly harsh. He honed in on one thing he considers a problem glitch and exaggerated it's severity. I've watched a BUNCH of videos of the Veer in action and haven't noticed anything that would indicate that the device is even close to being as bad as Josh claims it is.

I will find out for myself this coming Sunday when I purchase a Veer and try it myself
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Nope, haven't used the Veer, but isn't that video evidence enough? I'll play with it in the AT&T store just like I did with the Pixi before I bought it. But the email issue Josh had in that video is IDENTICAL to the issue I have with my Pixi.

Trust me, I want to like the Veer as badly as anyone else. I'll probably still buy it, but I'm just getting fed up with webOS performance that isn't consistent. Especially considering the competition.
    I don't know man, I watched all the videos of the Veer's performance on WOR and couldn't see any performance issues like you mentioning.
    But somebody who around here for just a month and now posting I wonder about your motives.
    NNJ
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Did you watch the webOSRoundup video where they forced the Veer to give a TMC error with 30+ applications loaded?
    Yup, I watched that video. It's great to know that I can open 30+ apps(who does that anyway?) but can't delete multiple e-mails without them disappearing. Like I said, I have this issue on my Pixi and it just sucks to see it on this new device too. Also, something else in that video that is interesting is when Josh mentions that the phone won't sleep(right after the email issue part). I have THAT issue with my Pixi as well. Are you seeing a trend here?
    Yeah, I'm seeing a trend of WebOS hate from a new member, on a WebOS forum mind you.

WebOS 3.0 is going to have ability to select multiple emails and delete them.

Who opens 30+ apps? I might not get to 30, but god damn it's pretty dang sweet to be able to open as many as I want, usually 15 or more, when I want to, on demand, without EVER worrying about lag switching between apps or in apps.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I don't know man, I watched all the videos of the Veer's performance on WOR and couldn't see any performance issues like you mentioning.
    But somebody who around here for just a month and now posting I wonder about your motives.
    Before I bought my Pixi and was playing with it in the store I didn't notice much of the performance issues that the reviews mentioned. But after using it for nearly a year, I'm well aware of them. Also, I've been reading precentral for almost two years now. This is my first thread and it was out of pure frustration for a company that has such a good product, but such horrible execution.

Look, I'm a webOS believer. I want the Veer, Pre 3 and Touchpad to all succeed. I'm just taking a step back here and trying to look at these issues from an unbiased eye.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Yup, I watched that video. It's great to know that I can open 30+ apps(who does that anyway?) but can't delete multiple e-mails without them disappearing. Like I said, I have this issue on my Pixi and it just sucks to see it on this new device too. Also, something else in that video that is interesting is when Josh mentions that the phone won't sleep(right after the email issue part). I have THAT issue with my Pixi as well. Are you seeing a trend here?
    I've never experienced that issue on my Pre- or my Pre2. I've always deleted emails normally. In fact, I had installed the "confirm delete" patch that shows the delete button for each message after you swipe them away and I didn't have issues with that either. So I'm not seeing a trend.. honestly I've never even heard of this issue before.
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, I'm seeing a trend of WebOS hate from a new member, on a WebOS forum mind you.
    People, I own a Pixi. I've been watching webOS since the 2009 CES reveal. See, this is the problem. I voice my opinion and concern with valid points, and since it's somewhat negative, my motives get questioned. You need to be able to see flaws in an OS to make it better and more competitive. That's all I'm doing here.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast