Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    People can dismiss Topolsky if they want but his concerns reflect those of a lot of outsiders who are interested in webOS but are afraid to pull the trigger because they are already heavily invested in other platforms like Android and iOS.
    This point is spot on. I'm glad some readers here are willing to look at my argument from a non webOS user perspective.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpritchard View Post
    This point is spot on. I'm glad some readers here are willing to look at my argument from a non webOS user perspective.
    I thought you said you were a webOS user?

But think of it this way: My signature shows the two phones I have and use. I've never held, much less used a webOS device. All I know about webOS is what I have been reading and videos since it was launched in 2009. I've used extensively phones with the other OSs. Every time I use a phone I cringe when I think of how sweeter webOS would be for me. So my user perspective is a non webOS perspective. But I believe I can recognise a good thing when I see it. Unfotunately, my location (I'm in Guyana, South America), and my finances have prohibited me (so far) from having a webOS phone. But then, the 650 only died late last year, and I got a Pro now only a few months old, so not really needful right now.
    Point is, I know what the other phone manufacturers have to offer, and I was positively scared last year when I heard Palm got bought over, because I thought I would never experience a new phone with webOS!
    Thankfully HP is now providing those opportunities for me, and for the other 'webOS lovers', like Josh supposedly is.
    This thread was started that you're a webOS user for 2 years, however you only joined last month, and chose to post this week after the Veer is announced, and look at the title. We haven't seen the Veer ourselves to have a cuss down about 'lag'. ALL the reviewers so far, except ONE, who has not shown proof of it in a video, are wowed by the performance of the tiny phone.
    Yet you (you just mentioned you're a non webOS user), and lots of others, most of whom openly claim to be competitors supporters, come here to webOS land to bash the first (second in my opinion, because the Pre2 is an excellent device, but HP seems to want everybody to forget that) phone HP has released since buying over Palm.
    Why?
    Edit - bashing quite unfairly too!
    NNJ
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I thought you said you were a webOS user?
    Dude, I own and use a Pixi. I'm saying that you need to be able to take a step back from the OS for what it is instead of being blinded by the loyalty one has for a brand.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Dude, I own and use a Pixi. I'm saying that you need to be able to take a step back from the OS for what it is instead of being blinded by the loyalty one has for a brand.
    Loyalty for the brand possibly because of the joy I've had over the years to be using excellent products of theirs? Palm OS, WM6 on the Pro? Beautiful experiences? Now seeing, but wishing for the experience of webOS loveliness? Because the same set of excellent people (now under HP) continue to provide the possibility? Loyalty for the brand because they don't go sub-par? That's a bad thing?
    NNJ
    Hey! Wait a moment!!

Serious that everything is about the "lag" deleting mails? C'mon, people!! Is not serious!!

When I delete my mails (I have 11 accounts, including POP, IMAP and Exchange), I have the lag, but do you know why? Because is instantly synced with the servers. I delete in my PrPrPrť $Plus$ $and$ $in$ $the$ $same$ $moment$ $the$ $same$ $mails$ $are$ $erased$ $from$ $my$ $webmails$ &$amp$; $my$ $Pr$ť $2$!

But... when I'm using offline, I delete the mails and I have NO LAG, and the device sync automatically ALL ACCOUNTS when I conect to Internet.

Sorry if someone disagree, but I see no problem here... it's normal if do you sync many with thousands mails accounts full time...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Here's the deal. About a year ago I bought my first webOS device, the Palm Pixi. I loved the form factor and webOS in general. I knew after reading reviews that I was buying somewhat of an underpowered phone that had issues, but I was willing to compromise because of the form factor. I figured the next-generation of webOs phones would fix the performance issues. But after reading Joshua Topolsky's review at I'm convinced that the lag may actually be due to the software and not the hardware. This is a huge deal. These bugs should be fixed by now, especially considering how long they have been making us wait for new devices. Mark my words now, when the Pre 3 an Touchpad are released they'll both have these same performance issues even with the high end processors.

I think it's hard to base the future of webOS software on a low powererd entry lever phone that is reviewed by "some" who don't know the ins and outs of the OS.

Best bet is to wait until we see the final OS reviews on both the pre3 and TP.

And as far as Homebrew goes, well thatís what makes webOS and this community so darn fun! I don't care about HUGE market share. As long as webOS devices are profitable enough to stay competitive. This will allow for continued growth within the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    You decided to make this your first post?

I think that we'll have to see how webOS preforms. It's been a long time but mergers slow things down. TouchPad will have to be snappy. They can update the Veer to 3.0 to get it snappy in the future but yes, speedier is a better experience.
    I'm crossing my fingers on that. I tried the Xoom and Playbook at a store and both felt sluggish/choppy. Angry Birds on the xoom was very laggy. Playbook surprised me at how easy it is to operate from a webOS perspective
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Based on what I saw of the pre 2 it doesn't look much faster than an oc pre. Even the cnet review stated the phone can be sluggish.
    1) Getting your tech news from CNet is kind of like getting your sports news from the WSJ. IMO, CNet is a dinosaur that no longer deserves its good reputation. Their video reviews, in particular, are a joke.

2) You really need to handle a Pre2 to know how it feels. It's worlds beyond the Pre-, overclocked or not.
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    ok, he had 380+ emails in his Gmail TRASH folder, he was using a search to filter them (so there were likely more emails than that in the folder) AND he was pawing the screen with his thumb like a spaz trying to swipe the emails away. i would hardly liken that situation to "performance issues". Did you watch the webOSRoundup video where they forced the Veer to give a TMC error with 30+ applications loaded? it didn't even start to lag until he had close to 30 open INCLUDING three PDK games.
    WOW! I gotta say, as someone with a Pre Minus, I'm really excited at the potential of opening ONE app without a TMC error!
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    No, I won't mark your words now because, in case you didn't know, TouchPad will release with WebOS 3.0, which is re-written from the ground up. I also have to believe that Pre 3 will also be released with WebOS 3.0.

How can you be so confident in the future TouchPad and Pre 3 performance issues when they're not even close to release yet?
    Re-written from the ground up sounds like "oh we didnt do a good job the first time, so were gonna start over and try again"...Why not just do it right the first time? Thats what is putting them so far behind.
    Last edited by cnote1287; 05/11/2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Re-written from the ground up sounds like "oh we didnt do a good job the first time, so were gonna start over and try again"...Why not just do it right the first time? Thats what is putting them so far behind.
    Well, read the forum archives from the last two years and you can enjoy that conversation a billion times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    That would make sense....

......but it doesn't. -.-

c'mon, man! Palm wrote 1.4.5, Palm wrote 2.0, HP patched 2.1, HP re-writing everything for 3.0... I guess you can say it's the 'Palm' division, but it's for a greater purpose, to remove the redundancy of Mojo, to make writing apps easier, to make them faster... you can say they didn't get the framework right the first time and I would agree with that, but they would never know until they tried! That's such a pathetic argument, I can't believe I'm even responding.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm suffering with serious lag on my Palm Pre, to the point of the touch screen wont recognise the phone app area in the bottom left corner and some of they keys on the keyboard wont work or perform a different operation when typing a message or email. Angry birds Rio sometimes just goes into zoom mode with one finger instead of using two, sometimes pausing the game may sort this. I think that angry brids rio really isnt totally compatible with a plam pre and is filling up memory or cache and the phone then struggle to dump it. I have only noticed the lag since started playing Rio.

It gets so bad that you can see as if I'm tapping on the screen with the white rings but I'm not touching the phone

Is their anything I can do, has anyone else suffered the same issues. I have 6.6GB free space on the phone so cant see this being the issue.

I am enjoying screenstate 500/1000 kernal so I dont think its a speed issue and like I said earlier all seemed fine until Rio.
    Last edited by m13kyf; 05/13/2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: additional info
    WebOs is internet dependent..in my opinion when I'm on WiFi I have no lag..spotty connection a little lag
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234