Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

We now have 7909 apps in total, (here in the USA). That is up just under 50% in 9 months & just over 10% increase in just 60 days!

I have maintained all along that with HP's money and HP providing tech support for porting of existing apps to the webOS platform, as well as, new tools for simplifying porting, we will continue to see a large growth in apps.

I expect this trend to increase b/c I expect that the TouchPad will have a great deal of native apps. These apps I am sure will be made backward compatible for webOS below 3.xx.

We also have to keep in mind that hasn't been any info from HP how many apps will be available for the TouchPad when it is introduced, (after all, I would think that native apps will need to be available for downloading should you have a problem with your TouchPad). I expect that Precentral will have to add an additional category for TouchPad apps.

App Catalog Gallery 6726
    Home brew App Gallery 581
    Web Dist. Gallery 377
    Beta Apps Gallery 225
    Total number of apps 7909 as of May 07, 2011

My last two app totals are as follows:

App total was 5312 as of 08/21/2010
    App total was 7132 as of 03/04/2011

There was an increase of 777 apps in just the last 2 months! That's more than a 10% increase in only 60 days!

Take care,

Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 05/07/2011 at 01:36 AM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing a separation of 1.x apps and 2.x apps.. a native way to filter them..

..this goes for App Catalog AND Preware.

Anyways, I knew the total was up from before. People were saying '5,700' and I was thinking, no way. Thanks Jay.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing a separation of 1.x apps and 2.x apps.. a native way to filter them..

..this goes for App Catalog AND Preware.

Anyways, I knew the total was up from before. People were saying '5,700' and I was thinking, no way. Thanks Jay.
    HI,

That's a great idea! Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    and still no document editing...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    and still no document editing...
    You must mean "No Microsoft Office document editing", because there are several document editing programs.

But hey, Google Docs now supports document editing in webOS

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Wow, and all for an OS with no new users, and no new phones/devices yet.

When the Pre 3 and touchPad launch is when I anticipate the app count to reallly begin to climb - it will all depend on thier market success.

Thanks, Jay.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Wow, and all for an OS with no new users, and no new phones/devices yet.

When the Pre 3 and touchPad launch is when I anticipate the app count to reallly begin to climb - it will all depend on thier market success.

Thanks, Jay.
    Hi,

Actually if I'm not mistaken the market share of webOS has dropped and yet the totals of the apps has grown quite nicely. The app count will likely grow quickly for quite a while...after all HP has repeatedly stated that they if need be, they will pay to have apps created so that the totals are large enough for the talking heads and the consumer to take notice.

That translates to the fact that HP will have to flood the marketplace with a ton of apps for quite a while until the customer wakes up and says let's look at HP/Palm webOS.

HP's people knows this is a huge gamble for them....at this point I would assume they have spent far more than the $1.2 billion to buy Palm for webOS, (I would think they spent and/or have budgeted in the next year or so to spend another billion on webOS and the many products that will be using webOS). They have funded the development and production of the Pre2, Pre3, Veer & TouchPad....not to mention the rumored slab phone to be announced later in the year. Plus they have not made it a secret that they will be porting webOS to a myriad of consumer products such as printers, desktop and laptop computers...they more than anyone knows that the way to get webOS from being a very minor niche product is to get the app totals up enough, so that webOS isn't easily dismissed.

Since the TouchPad will need to have apps created for it that are ready for the larger screen format and can take advantage of the far more powerful processors of the TouchPad, I expect they will have a great deal of native apps or HP along with their partners will release a large number of apps right out of the gate.

That also gives all of us a job, to be the cheerleaders for webOS & HP.

Take care,

Jay
    you guys are way more optimistic than I am about the number of apps coming...I have not bought an app in a long time...I initiated last year's buy an app day on june 6th, and bought a ton of apps then...since then, other than angry birds, complete browser (waste of time), and donations to webosinternals, I haven't spent much in terms of apps or devs. Well I bought lexicomp because of the disappointment with epocrates...Not because I don't want too (hopefully we will have another "buy an app day"), but really, there haven't been too many new apps worth buying lately.

the optimism you guys have is the only thing keeping me optimistic!!! I seriously don't understand why hp is keeping secret what big apps are coming to webos, as all other platforms have them. They wanna keep devices and carriers and release dates a secret, fine, but why keep apps that are coming be a secret? Just doesn't make sense...
  9.    #9  
    Hi,

1. what you are saying is what most typical smartphone users say...they can't wait to get their hands on apps & ...most users rarely ever use most of the apps that they have!!!!

The flip side of that comment is that most people say they stay with a particular platform b/c of the amount of apps (as well as ease of use of the OS).

2. It isn't a matter of being optimistic it is a matter of fact. The fact is that there are almost 50% more apps then there were 8 months ago.

3. That trend will continues unless HP wants to write off at least $ 2 billion as well as billions more that we have no idea about. After all, hundreds upon hundreds of millions of $ have been spent over and above the $1.2 for the buyout of Palm.

4. I'm not surprised that HP is keeping apps under wraps, (sorry about that), for the Touchpad, however, why does Apple sue people for leaking before a product comes out??? HP has chosen to keep most of the info about the TouchPad, the Pre3, the possible release of a slab phone as well as upcoming apps secret....

5. HP isn't in the same position that Apple is in. Apple rolled out the Ipad without hardly any apps in place for it or much in the way of native apps. HP is in a do or die position within the handheld area....either HP rolls out a lot of apps directly or with partners or it will not just have thrown out billions of $, the stockholders would more than likely not just want a new CEO, (once again), they would also want a few other heads to be mounted on the wall along side of Leo's.

6. HP could well lose it's dominate position in computing if this doesn't succeed...

Therefore, it is not just optimism on my and many other's behalf it also is practicality!

Take care,

Jay
    that's weird. my app catalog says we have only 5687 apps. I haven't seen an app worth downloading in more then one year now. regardless not even 8000 after all this time is horrible. Especially when Windows phone 7 has almost double that. Truly a sad sad state when it comes to app support. people say quality over quantity but i haven't seen any quality in a long long time. The stuff that's released are novelty stuff mostly. The sort of stuff i want.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    that's weird. my app catalog says we have only 5687 apps. I haven't seen an app worth downloading in more then one year now. regardless not even 8000 after all this time is horrible. Especially when Windows phone 7 has almost double that. Truly a sad sad state when it comes to app support. people say quality over quantity but i haven't seen any quality in a long long time. The stuff that's released are novelty stuff mostly. The sort of stuff i want.
    NDrive turn by turn GPS
    Desktop Widgets
    Spotify
    Multiple Sound Recorders
    Multiple Mp3 Players
    Universe Browser
    Complete Browser
    Angry Birds Rio
    OfferEye

Yeah just complete garbage apps coming out lately
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    NDrive turn by turn GPS
    Desktop Widgets
    Spotify
    Multiple Sound Recorders
    Multiple Mp3 Players
    Universe Browser
    Complete Browser
    Angry Birds Rio
    OfferEye

I believe he (like alot of us) is still on 1.4.5....meaning we dont see any of the new apps coming out....making this phone semi stagnent.....and with no upgrade path on sprint, we are kinda being forced to go elsewhere if we dont wanna leave sprint...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    once more, i just canīt forget when HP mentioned there were thousands of apps from their engineers coming soon to the catalog
    []
    The numbers need to start to move a lot more than 10% every 2 months. When the base number is low even a small number of new apps is a nice percentage. 777 apps in 2 months is around 15 per day excluding weekends. On the Windows Phone 7 side during the same period they added nearly 7,000 apps growing from 9,000 to over 16,000 now. I know people can make comments about quality etc, but when there are that many more apps coming in every day there is a good chance that some of them will be of value.

I'm not putting down what's been happening here as it's great to seem some forward movement after feeling that things were kind of stagnant - especially with the lack of new hardware, but this does show that more action is needed. I hope HP does what they need to do to make it happen.
    Last edited by gerrymad; 05/08/2011 at 03:42 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Truly a sad sad state when it comes to app support. people say quality over quantity but i haven't seen any quality in a long long time. The stuff that's released are novelty stuff mostly. The sort of stuff i want.
    Hi, I'm sure we could go thru all of the platform's list of apps and find a lot of crap. However, we have gone up almost 50% with so far only a phone that was due to be released before the buyout was even proposed (Pre2).

We still don't have the Veer released yet although that will be happening within weeks. The Pre3, a slab smartphone and the TouchPad are still down the road.

There is always a lag time for these things, many firms walked away from webOS or never wrote for webOS b/c of the tenuous financial position Palm was in.

It is different for all the other platforms, b/c they had a firm behind them that was well funded and they weren't on the verge of shutting down.

Even with Nokia, granted they dumped their platform for windows, which also explains why there are so many apps being written now for two firms not just windows.

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Numerically, if your app store doesn't have an app count into the 6 digits then bloggers will trash you. So RIM, Microsoft and HP will continue to suffer.

HP is doing exactly the same as RIM for the big apps --- RIM made the "official" Facebook app for the Playbook.

Numerically half of iphone's and android apps are games --- often dinky little games.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Numerically, if your app store doesn't have an app count into the 6 digits then bloggers will trash you. So RIM, Microsoft and HP will continue to suffer.

HP is doing exactly the same as RIM for the big apps --- RIM made the "official" Facebook app for the Playbook.

Numerically half of iphone's and android apps are games --- often dinky little games.
    Hi,

Thank you and well stated!

Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Only half?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I believe he (like alot of us) is still on 1.4.5....meaning we dont see any of the new apps coming out
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    NDrive turn by turn GPS
    Desktop Widgets
    Spotify
    Multiple Sound Recorders
    Multiple Mp3 Players
    Universe Browser
    Complete Browser
    Angry Birds Rio
    OfferEye

I don't see that. But the stuff you mentioned isn't special. i care about espn and hbo an chase and starbucks. i got a browser. I don't know what these browsers are. what mp3 players? Regardless, I already got Music player remix and i barely use that. Angry birds? Yeah that got old after the first one. And i don't play games on my phone anyways. How about some apps that people have been requesting for almost 2 years like Mint.com. I'd be more interested in Amplitube. Or the NFL draft app. But we didn't get an NFL draft app. The draft came and went. Sorry man. That stuff you list holds no interest to me. I can't begrudge someone else if they like it. That's great. People should get what fits their wants. It just doesn't fit what i want or expected. Another thing. I don't think Spotify works where i live.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    However, we have gone up almost 50% with so far only a phone that was due to be released before the buyout was even proposed (Pre2).
    i don't see it. my official catalog still says 5K+ going on 6K. the app gallery says 6727. ok but i don't see em. and what's there is underwhelming. Pokeman? Really? The sort of apps released for webos just don't measure up to what i expected. I don't care much about numbers i care about specific apps or companies. I just don't see apps im interested or things i'd like to use coming to webos.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 05/08/2011 at 06:48 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I believe he (like alot of us) is still on 1.4.5....meaning we dont see any of the new apps coming out....making this phone semi stagnent.....and with no upgrade path on sprint, we are kinda being forced to go elsewhere if we dont wanna leave sprint...

Hi,

Keep in mind that I still have my Centro, my contract ended the middle of last October....The Pre2 was just about to come out when my contract ended. The Pre2 seemed too much like the Pre & PP to bother with, especially since logically speaking there would be a slew of new smartphones when the buyout was competed. As soon as the Pre3 is up for sale I will get one ASAP!

I assume that by 1.4.5 you mean webOS 1.4.5.

Since I don't yet have webOS I'm not looking at apps that will work only with webOS 1.xx or web 2.xx. I am looking at the total figures that are on the app section of this website.

On Palm's site don't you have to tell the site which version of webOS your using? Is it the same on this site, (I wouldn't know since I have never told any site which version of webOS I am using, since I am still using PalmOS) Therefore your telling the site to limit the search for apps based on the fact that you are using webOS 1.4.5...I am looking at the totals of all apps, not just ones that are designed to work for a specific build of webOS.

I also know that not all of the apps are available in all countries. I am going on the figures for the four types of apps listed on this site, basing my info as some on who lives in the USA, (I live in Central Florida).

Therefore the figures that I added up are:

App Catalog Gallery 6726
    Home brew App Gallery 581
    Web Dist. Gallery 377
    Beta Apps Gallery 225
    Total number of apps 7909 as of May 07, 2011

yes

I don't see that. But the stuff you mentioned isn't special. i care about espn and hbo an chase and starbucks. i got a browser. I don't know what these browsers are. what mp3 players? Regardless, I already got Music player remix and i barely use that. Angry birds? Yeah that got old after the first one. And i don't play games on my phone anyways. How about some apps that people have been requesting for almost 2 years like Mint.com. I'd be more interested in Amplitube. Or the NFL draft app. But we didn't get an NFL draft app. The draft came and went. Sorry man. That stuff you list holds no interest to me. I can't begrudge someone else if they like it. That's great. People should get what fits their wants. It just doesn't fit what i want or expected. Another thing. I don't think Spotify works where i live.

I don't see it. my official catalog still says 5K+ going on 6K. the app gallery says 6727. ok but i don't see em. and what's there is underwhelming. Pokeman? Really? The sort of apps released for webos just don't measure up to what i expected. I don't care much about numbers i care about specific apps or companies. I just don't see apps im interested or things i'd like to use coming to webos.
    I don't follow must sports so I could care less about ESPN apps, etc, however I know other people do. You also have to keep in mind that many apps for other platforms are little nothings like Pizza Hut or Suntrust bank, etc....they get counted in other platform's apps, so we should count them as well.

Take care, Jay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast