Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I don't follow must sports so I could care less about ESPN apps, etc, however I know other people do. You also have to keep in mind that many apps for other platforms are little nothings like Pizza Hut or Suntrust bank, etc....they get counted in other platform's apps, so we should count them as well.
    To each his own. But sports are pretty darn popular in the U.S. and ESPN is the biggest sports channels tv and radio in both the U.S. and the planet (tv wise) and to not have any of their apps massive. And then there's Fanstasy sports too. But that's just an example on one company. There are others. I'm not interested in games but you need to have them. I'm not on twitter but you need those apps cause many people are. Saying I'm not interested doesn't help sell the platform to the millions that are interested. I'm not interested in Madden football. It's a big selling game though. You may get a big novelty app here and there but you need more then Pokeman cards and Snooki Soundboards.

If you bank at Suntrust it probably isn't a nothing app just like the Chase, or Bank of America, or Well Fargo isn't a nothing app. I didn't say you don't count Suntrust or Pizza hut apps either. I said, essentially, it's a problem that those apps aren't on the platform. And i don't see a Suntrust app in the app gallery search i just did. So i'm all for counting them. But where is it. The pizza hut app can order pizzas. Hardly a nothing apps it seems. I just looked up Suntrust app. Nothing seems wrong with it to me. It does account info, balance transfers, you can pay bills. I don't see how you can call that a "little nothing" app. The problem is companies aren't making their apps for webos. every platform has crap but webos is far from being full of great apps.

If what is getting released is what interests someone, appswise, that's fine. This stuff or the rate of stuff being added just doesn't impress me. To each his own though.
    beta feed does not count since that is for testing apps that are more then likely already in some other feeds.

so you are now doubling the same apps

web, HB and App Cat are the only full released Apps that devs have finished and are 1.0v normally
    I have seen quite a few new apps of late, and they aren't really garbage ones either. Seem to be pretty good on 2.1
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Snooki

If you bank at Suntrust it probably isn't a nothing app just like the Chase, or Bank of America, or Well Fargo isn't a nothing app.
    Hi all,

1. I wasn't sure who or what a Snooki was so I had to look that one up....I don't watch ANY reality TV(which they aren't reality anyway since most are loosely scripted).

2. I just pick Suntrust off the top of my head b/c that is who I bank with, since I still have Centro I have no idea if Suntrust even has a webOS app.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Since you've never used a webOS device, e-reader, or tablet, it's a little hard to take you seriously or give your opinions much weight at times.

Right now though the webOS app catalog isn't even worth mentioning in any app store comparison. Hopefully this changes after 3.0 devices hit and HP can focus more on evolving the ecosystem & as well as developing better quality apps.
    Hi,

I think my opinion that we should all be cheerleaders for webOS don't require me to own a webOS phone. I couldn't before last Oct due to my 2 year contract wit V on my Centro...I am awaiting the Pre3! It isn't as if I didn't want to get a Pre there was a little thing call my contract with V that stopped me. When the contracted ended, we all knew that Palm was being bought out...you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know there would be a slew of new phones out as soon as possible after the buy out.....that is the ONLY reason why I waited...

BTW I have NEVER kept is a secret that I am still using a Centro, I have mentioned it several hundred times in my earlier posts.

What other opinions you mean I have no idea!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If you want a Chase bank app, tell Chase you want it!

Better still, call your bank and tell them you want a webOS app for your account access purposes. I called Citi, and they responded by optimizing their mobile site and saying they're "evaluating a webOS app."

Yet along comes Wells Fargo, and lo and behold, they have a webOS native app! If I do dump Citi, I'll cite the Wells Fargo app for my smartphone as a reason. If enough people do that, we'll get more support.

I left webOS for a while to go Android and WP7. Both have a larger number of apps, but the quality isn't there (especially in the former case), and WP7 is a huge step back in productivity in terms of multitasking IMO.

Coming back to webOS, I haven't had a single problem finding apps for what I use a smartphone for (including more esoteric things like Yammer). If I want the latest games, I have a limited catalog versus iOS, but I'm not a huge gamer (and if you are, an iPod Touch is a lot cheaper than an iPhone as a gaming device, if that's your thing).

In addition, a lot of the functionality people get through apps, we get through the real web. Flash works well enough on my Pre 2 to make media access rather easy -- no proprietary app for content required.
    Hi all,

1. I wasn't sure who or what a Snooki was so I had to look that one up....I don't watch ANY reality TV(which they aren't reality anyway since most are loosely scripted).

2. I just pick Suntrust off the top of my head b/c that is who I bank with, since I still have Centro I have no idea if Suntrust even has a webOS app.

Take care,

Jay
    1. man you really don't need to watch reality tv to know who Snooki is. I don't watch Disney or listen to country music but I know who Miley Cyrus is.

2. That's the point. You've tried to say the other platforms are just nothing apps and but you used the Suntrust and Pizza hut app as examples of the nothing apps. But looking at the apps they aren't nothing apps. And you didn't even research their features. What you thought supported your point actually hurt it. Point still remains they have an app and as far as i know Webos and regardless of the bank, website, program, game, etc there are far two many times where that's the case. It's a big problem.

Centro = two years past the time to buy a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    If I do dump Citi, I'll cite the Wells Fargo app for my smartphone as a reason. If enough people do that, we'll get more support.
    I don't think that's that realistic for most people. I mean i doubt many people are going to change their bank because they don't make an app for their phone. Think of the stuff they'd have to change: A long held checking account, savings account, cancel credit cards thus taking a hit to their credit rating in a time where lending is harder to come by, move their IRA, Roth IRA, 401k, 529 Plan for kids college, Their home mortgage, car loan? All cause there's no webos app. I'm sure there are a few that would but i'd doubt most people would. I'd bet a lot more that just deal without it or look to another platform when their contract ends.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    In addition, a lot of the functionality people get through apps, we get through the real web.
    But that's not the case if the app isn't about a website. Like if its a game. Or something like Amplitube which is kinda like garage band. It's not based on a website. Or Netflix. or kindle. Watch ESPN just came out for Android. Don't think you can watch espn on the website. I can continue but you get my point. So you're right but "just use the browser" is often not a solution.

Regardless, every smartphone has a browser. If the choice is a phone with apps and a browser or a phone where you only have a browser most people will choose the former as it gives you more options. Its a hard argument to convince people to pay the same for less stuff.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 05/09/2011 at 04:50 PM.
    What phone has 7909 apps?

Surely not the Pre(+) or pixi(+). Heck Even the veer won't have that many apps.

That number means nothing until the majority of WebOS users can access them.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    1. man you really don't need to watch reality tv to know who Snooki is. I don't watch Disney or listen to country music but I know who Miley Cyrus is.

2. That's the point. You've tried to say the other platforms are just nothing apps and but you used the Suntrust and Pizza hut app as examples of the nothing apps. But looking at the apps they aren't nothing apps. And you didn't even research their features. What you thought supported your point actually hurt it. Point still remains they have an app and as far as i know Webos and regardless of the bank, website, program, game, etc there are far two many times where that's the case. It's a big problem.

Centro = two years past the time to buy a new phone.

The very small time off that allows me is spent with my fiancee, she lives 45 miles from here and most times, unless my Mom is up to it my fiancee coems here.

Who ever or waht ever Snooki is is soem place between little or insignificant interest to me....frankly I would rath be drawn and 1/4 then to be known with that name or to be infamous for being in a reality show in the 1st place.

OH BTW I am also disabeld which also takes up the 1 or 2 spare minutes I actully have!

I don't think that's that realistic for most people. I mean i doubt many people are going to change their bank because they don't make an app for their phone. Think of the stuff they'd have to change: A long held checking account, savings account, cancel credit cards thus taking a hit to their credit rating in a time where lending is harder to come by, move their IRA, Roth IRA, 401k, 529 Plan for kids college, Their home mortgage, car loan? All cause there's no webos app. I'm sure there are a few that would but i'd doubt most people would. I'd bet a lot more that just deal without it or look to another platform when their contract ends.

But that's not the case if the app isn't about a website. Like if its a game. Or something like Amplitube which is kinda like garage band. It's not based on a website. Or Netflix. or kindle. Watch ESPN just came out for Android. Don't think you can watch espn on the website. I can continue but you get my point. So you're right but "just use the browser" is often not a solution.

Regardless, every smartphone has a browser. If the choice is a phone with apps and a browser or a phone where you only have a browser most people will choose the former as it gives you more options. Its a hard argument to convince people to pay the same for less stuff.
    Dear Black magic,

Most of my time for the past 2 1/2 years has been care giver to my soon to be 88 year old Mom, who lives with me in my house. She has has two heart attacks and a stroke. I take care of her full time and by myself. My sister lives far aways and isn't terribly interested in helping, (only interested in being a pain in &^%#$).

Also I am sure when apps for Apple or 'Droid are counted they aren't counting which is usable & to whom....it is a number that the press fixate on, (much of whom wouldn't know a smartphone if they fell on it).

If the Press counts all apps for other platforms than so should we....in addition this is a pointless "conversation"...I'm so sorry I didn't have time to break down which app is for which version of webOS, (actually I'm not sorry I didn't do it, I'm only sorry I didn't have that much free time).

BTW even though I have a Tivo, most of my TV time is watching things such as Masterpiece theater....or reading a book.

Take care,

Jay
    I always thought the press counts apps that are available to be downloaded via the makers' official app catalog aka the # of apps that show up when you click on the app store/market/catalog icon on the phone when you get it. Freakin press needs to get a clue.

And please, I'm sure it's very tough on you having to take care of your ailing mother, but I don't even see why you brought that up. And Tivo too. And reading books.
    Last edited by stung; 05/09/2011 at 06:57 PM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post

And please, I'm sure it's very tough on you having to take care of your ailing mother, but I don't even see why you brought that up. And Tivo too. And reading books.
    Hi,

I only mentioned the issues of my Mom's health, reading & Tivo, b/c apparently of Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs. Blackmagic is appalled that I had no idea who or what Snooki was until I just looked her up...why anyone would want to be on one of those shows let alone watch them is beyond me...but different strokes...(In fact, why would someone want the moniker of Snooki is beyond me).

Yes I do have Fibromyalgia which makes caring for my Mom that much harder. My Mom also has Fibro.

To be honest with you, I would have it any other way, I also cared for my Dad when he was dying of cancer....

When my Mom was in a live in Physical Therapy unit for 2 months after the stoke and heart attack, the Physical Therapist said, "it's great that your here all the time for you Mom, most people don't have any one visiting them", (I was there every day for 2 months as soon as they let visitors in and until they sent home visitors @ 8 PM. I said that what families are for.....the Physical Therapist said, "you be surprised" & my answer to him was well shame on them.....when she was strong enough I took her on day trips everyday and finally after 2 long months she came home. That's how I have managed for almost 2 1/2 years, I'm overwrought and exhausted all of the time, but I still wouldn't have it any other way!

Take care,

Jay
    Dear Black magic,

Most of my time for the past 2 1/2 years has been care giver to my soon to be 88 year old Mom, who lives with me in my house. She has has two heart attacks and a stroke. I take care of her full time and by myself. My sister lives far aways and isn't terribly interested in helping, (only interested in being a pain in &^%#$).

Also I am sure when apps for Apple or 'Droid are counted they aren't counting which is usable & to whom....it is a number that the press fixate on, (much of whom wouldn't know a smartphone if they fell on it).

If the Press counts all apps for other platforms than so should we....in addition this is a pointless "conversation"...I'm so sorry I didn't have time to break down which app is for which version of webOS, (actually I'm not sorry I didn't do it, I'm only sorry I didn't have that much free time).

BTW even though I have a Tivo, most of my TV time is watching things such as Masterpiece theater....or reading a book.

Take care,

Jay
    Honestly, Not sure what the family stuff was about but i sincerely wish her the best and hope there is good health news in her future.

As for this. You responded to my post that i don't see 7000+ apps in my catalog. Maybe there are more for 2.0 phones. but I said i don't care about app count numbers so that is irrelevant to me. i just dispute this idea that every other catalog has just crap apps and webos is full of great ones especially when your'e example of a crap app isn't a crap app. every platform has bad apps and plenty of them. But Webos is sorely lagging in good nearly enough good ones in my opinion. We'll just agree to disagree on that point and cordially move on to some other point of discussion. How about that?

Hi,
    Blackmagic is appalled that I had no idea who or what Snooki
    not remotely appalled. i wish i could erase her from my mind.

Good luck to you Jay and your family. I wish you're family a belated happy mothers day and I wish you the best. You are very thoughtful in caring for family. Family is important and should be cherished.
    Hmm interesting... Jay, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with blackmagic here about the important apps. For example, lack of Epocrates going forward is the biggest hurdle in me re-upping with webOS when my contract expires. And #2, I'm gonna risk being too personal here, but I think it's important.. consider getting help taking care of your mother. The additional stress could exacerbate your fibro. Stress management + exercise = winning. Hope that helps.
    jay, maybe you can get the fibromyalgia foundation to make app number 7910 to raise awareness. Sure beats any stupid snooki soundboard anyday.
    #apps will takeoff once #phones out there improves once again. No-one's putting in time if no phones in the market. Plus mojo is supposed to be going the way of the dodo and new apps to be written in a new language = enyo.

I hope HP got good launch partners for touchpad and pre3.

if you build it will they come?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    jay, maybe you can get the fibromyalgia foundation to make app number 7910 to raise awareness. Sure beats any stupid snooki soundboard anyday.
    YOU DON'T TALK BAD ABOUT SNOOKI!!!!

lol. i kid.
  17.    #37  
    Hi all,

HP has maintained all along that if needed they would write apps for webOS, pay to have others ported and even hire employees into the webOS division or section to make sure that the app total grows.

It is working b/c these days on an almost daily basis we see articles on this site talking about new apps added to webOS.

This is from last Friday May 06th to today Thursday May 12. Keep in mind these are the ones that were mention in articles here on Precentral for all I know there are even more.

This week alone, the following were added:

SmashWords
    Google docs added editing
    Exhibition: Photo Slideshow
    WhitePages
    Mode Switcher
    •Motocross Challenge
    •NDrive got more releases to cover North America and parts of Europe, .
    •Kookaroo Roku Remote
    •Splashtop Remote Desktop

Not bad considering most of the smartphone industry wrote us off last year.

One other point to ponder: HP has stated a number of times that there would be a great deal of native apps on the TouchPad, since webOS 3.xx would be brand new. That will bring the numbers up as well.
    There should be a 2.x and 1.x filter because if that's the total for both 2.x and 1.x, that's not really good.
    Article in a trade mag (excerpt and link to full article below) suggests app development in verticals is moving along:

Bedrock Technology Partners, an HP partner based in San Mateo, Calif., is building customized apps for several customers who have expressed interest in the platform. CEO Dean Cappellazzo sees opportunities in building applications for his customers, particularly in areas such as field sales, manufacturing floors, healthcare, point-of-sale and other verticals.

"It’s important for HP to build a community of application developers to grow WebOS, and we've already begun making these investments," Cappellazzo said.

HP's TouchPad tablet, slated for launch this summer, could challenge the iPad in verticals such as healthcare and education, according to Moyer.

"There's definite a high level of interest from channel partners in these segments," he said. "Organizations are supporting iPad because of user demand, but there's definitely a sense that the market would like a really good alternative to the iPad. And I think they are more comfortable with HP's business model."

http://www.crn.com/news/client-devic...evelopment.htm
  20.    #40  
    Hi all,

Thank you...nice find.

I knew that HP was making it worth the while for developers to create webOS apps....I hear that it just isn't directly financial...I read a while ago that HP was trying to get corporate sales off the ground for the TouchPad...They are approaching firms and saying if you buy TouchPads we will reward you with steep discounts on other equipment. After all, HP is very heavily involved of all aspects of computing.

Thye could say,we'll give you a hefty discount on PC's if you buy TouchPads for all of your sales staff....They are also having customized webOS apps written for specifically for that client.

I'm sure that HP is making deals with other firms to create general purpose apps. It isn't a secret that HP has hired a bunch of people to not just write upgrades and updates to webOS, but to in house develop apps for the general public.

HP doesn't have it's head in the clouds...it realizes the best way to make their HUGE development in webOS is to make sure that app totals are growing quickly and that if need be HP will have apps written for the specif needs of it corp clients...

That makes for large sales totals, which means more firms are interested in writing for webOS!

Take care,

Jay
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12