Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

It seems like every new patch that has come out lately is geared towards the WebOS 2.1. If This continues, then those of us with carriers like Sprint running WebOS 1.4.5 on our Smart-Devices. We will end up not having any patches that will work with our devices. I keep reading that HP-Palm won't be offering WebOS 2.1 to users like myself. So are WebOS 1.4.5 users just doomed? Or is HP-Palm going to release the 2.1 update for us as well? And/Or are they going to offer us one of the new 2.1 phones? I love my Palm Pre and I love the patches that make the phone a million times better. But I feel like HP-Palm has it in for Sprint and their customers. Am I wrong for thinking this way? I can't go back to using any other type of device. I'm spoiled by my Pre. But if Sprint doesn't get any new WebOS devices, or doesn't at least get the WebOS 2.1 update, then I will have to give up on something that I love.

Please tell me my worries are wrong.

And I know that the WebS 2.1 can be put on Sprint Palm Pre's, with the right software. But is it even worth making the change? Seeing as it's not official. I'm just confused about all of these issues.

Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/07/2011 at 01:21 AM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post

It seems like every new patch that has come out lately is geared towards the WebOS 2.1. If This continues, then those of us with carriers like Sprint running WebOS 1.4.5 on our Smart-Devices. We will end up not having any patches that will work with our devices. I keep reading that HP-Palm won't be offering WebOS 2.1 to users like myself. So are WebOS 1.4.5 users just doomed? Or is HP-Palm going to release the 2.1 update for us as well? And/Or are they going to offer us one of the new 2.1 phones? I love my Palm Pre and I love the patches that make the phone a million times better. But I feel like HP-Palm has it in for Sprint and their customers. Am I wrong for thinking this way? I can't go back to using any other type of device. I'm spoiled by my Pre. But if Sprint doesn't get any new WebOS devices, or doesn't at least get the WebOS 2.1 update, then I will have to give up on something that I love.

Please tell me my worries are wrong.

And I know that the WebS 2.1 can be put on Sprint Palm Pre's, with the right software. But is it even worth making the change? Seeing as it's not official. I'm just confused about all of these issues.

All the 1.4.5 patches will continue to work unless Sprint updates our phones, and I don't think they will. Even if they do the patches may only require minor tweeks if anything to be just fine. There's so many great patches now I can't think of anything else that really needs to be patched...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    There's so many great patches now I can't think of anything else that really needs to be patched...
    There's always more fun stuff that can be patched.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    There's always more fun stuff that can be patched.
    Like what?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Like what?
    Mainly adding new things. Also, Tweaks lets us make patches that weren't possible before.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    As the number of people still using 1.4.5 dies down so will the number of new patches. Makes sense.

ET
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    HP just released an app that is just for the Pre- 1.4.5., it's called "the one finger salute"....... after all you are the legacy user and HPalm wanted to do something just for you...

I can understand that HPalm has to move forward, however forward with WHAT?.......New Product? (can't count the Veer, that is only for Jon Rubinstein, whom acts like an 9 year old, and 9 year olds....).no release dates, no carriers, no kiddin'....
    Last edited by sjaakb; 05/07/2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: change
    there are something like 400-500 patches for 1.4.5. And that's about 4x what is available for 2.x

Just curious, but why the bold? kind of reads like yelling...

I have been running 2.1 on my Pre+ for a while now. The upgrade process was pretty easy, and if you aren't comfortable you can pay webOS World to do it for you for a small fee.

IMO 2.1 is worth it, but i will say it is not as bug-free as 1.4.5. There are issues with 2.1, and unless you are willing to chase them and figure out ways to work around them it may not be worth it for you. Personally i like having a reason to learn new things and fool with my phone, so i'm OK with 2.1.

As for an official Sprint release of 2.1 for "legacy" devices? don't hold your breath. Those devices are EOL in HP's opinion.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    there are something like 400-500 patches for 1.4.5. And that's about 4x what is available for 2.x
    Yeah but every new patch that I have seen, has been for WebOS 2.1. If people stop supporting the 1.4.5 patches, then they could stop working altogether. My worry is that HP-Palm will just focus on 2.1 and forget about 1.4.5. Then after HP-Palm stops supporting 1.4.5, then the developers will also stop updating apps and patches for 1.4.5. . And if Sprint doesn't get any new WebOS phones, then we are doomed. I don't want to switch carriers just to use a new WebOS device. I want to remain with Sprint. I don't know, All of this is making me worry. Hopefully HP-Palm and Sprint will not forget about us,

Yeah but every new patch that I have seen, has been for WebOS 2.1. If people stop supporting the 1.4.5 patches, then they could stop working altogether. My worry is that HP-Palm will just focus on 2.1 and forget about 1.4.5. Then after HP-Palm stops supporting 1.4.5, then the developers will also stop updating apps and patches for 1.4.5. . And if Sprint doesn't get any new WebOS phones, then we are doomed. I don't want to switch carriers just to use a new WebOS device. I want to remain with Sprint. I don't know, All of this is making me worry. Hopefully HP-Palm and Sprint will not forget about us,
    1.4.5 is like any other piece of software: people develop things for it, and they will continue to work on that version of software whether the developer supports it or not. I think what you mean to say is that people are not developing for 1.4.5 anymore, which is correct. 2.1 is what HP has launched, and it is the future. As an example, should Microsoft still be supporting windows 3.1? Software moves on, and i think that is for the better.

Is there something in particular that you want which is only available for 2.1? I'm a little confused by your worry... 2.1 can be put on your device, so if it seems like that big a deal to you stop worrying and upgrade to 2.1.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    FYI: Just because 2.1 is available doesn't mean every dev out there has it. I still run 1.4.5 on my Sprint Pre (and I'm more than technically savvy enough to upgrade it) and still plan on writing apps that'll work on it. Have no fear, you won't be left out in the cold by everyone. Heck, look at PalmOS, it lived on far longer (with developer support) than it ever should have.

- Phil -
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    1.4.5 is like any other piece of software: people develop things for it, and they will continue to work on that version of software whether the developer supports it or not. I think what you mean to say is that people are not developing for 1.4.5 anymore, which is correct. 2.1 is what HP has launched, and it is the future. As an example, should Microsoft still be supporting windows 3.1? Software moves on, and i think that is for the better.

Is there something in particular that you want which is only available for 2.1? I'm a little confused by your worry... 2.1 can be put on your device, so if it seems like that big a deal to you stop worrying and upgrade to 2.1.
    But how do I get WebOS verson 2.1 on my Sprint Palm Pre? I have checked the Update feature on my phone and it still says there is no updates ready. So how do I get 2.1 on my Sprint Palm Pre?

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    FYI: Just because 2.1 is available doesn't mean every dev out there has it. I still run 1.4.5 on my Sprint Pre (and I'm more than technically savvy enough to upgrade it) and still plan on writing apps that'll work on it. Have no fear, you won't be left out in the cold by everyone. Heck, look at PalmOS, it lived on far longer (with developer support) than it ever should have.

- Phil -
    I'm glad to hear that developers like yourself are not going to give up on WebOS 1.4.5. And your right about PalmOS; that is still around. So hopefully 1.4.5 won't die out anytime soon.

But how do I get WebOS verson 2.1 on my Sprint Palm Pre? I have checked the Update feature on my phone and it still says there is no updates ready. So how do I get 2.1 on my Sprint Palm Pre?
    I would have posted this before, but i assumed that you knew this was possible already.
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

And if you aren't feeling up to the task, webOS world will do it for a nominal charge: Device Services | WebOS World
    If you're someone who is using patches, then we're assuming you've upgraded to webOS 2.1 as it seems all of the patch authors have.

If you lag behind the homebrew curve, then you can't expect new stuff. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand, anyone can contribute a patch for 1.4.5, so go out there and start creating the patches you need.

BTW, Tweaks requires 2.1 because it uses db8 and a node.jsjsjs $service$. $So$ $1$.$4$.$5$ $patches$ $are$ $never$ $going$ $to$ $have$ $tweaks$ $available$ $anyway$.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Well since 1.4.5 roxors my soxorz, I'd say we're pretty well off.

Lets just hope they keep all them feeds up for us.
    I'm a 1.45 user.

I've patched my Pre+ to where I want and need it to be, for now - it performs fast (thanks to Uberkernal and Govnah), and I have many optimizations in place that make the UI suitable for how I use it.

I expect that my next device will be a Pre 3, unless its a total failure of a device, of course, which, I guess is a possibility, but, highly unlikely, given what we know about it already.

When that happens, I'll patch that, too, based on what that experience is, and the availability of patches for it.

I guess I'm saying that, while I love to tinker and continuously improve my tech hardware with software patches, its certainly not a necessity for me at this moment, 1 year after getting my current hardware and consistently patching it, given that I will be getting a new device within the next 6 months or so.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I already stopped expecting them. All the developers need to focus on learning how to program for the new versions of WebOS, if they are going to stay with WebOS and have a chance to make some money.

We want great apps when the new phones and tablets come out, so I'd rather they ignore the older version and just focus on the new version. Remember, HP/Palm made so many major changes in WebOS that they need to learn all over again the tools and even the language to program for WebOS. That can take major time if they want to be good at it!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you're someone who is using patches, then we're assuming you've upgraded to webOS 2.1 as it seems all of the patch authors have.

If you lag behind the homebrew curve, then you can't expect new stuff. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand, anyone can contribute a patch for 1.4.5, so go out there and start creating the patches you need.

BTW, Tweaks requires 2.1 because it uses db8 and a node.jsjsjs $service$. $So$ $1$.$4$.$5$ $patches$ $are$ $never$ $going$ $to$ $have$ $tweaks$ $available$ $anyway$.

-- Rod

So should I upgrade to version 2.1? Will the Overclocking patches work with 2.1? I'm worried about updating, but I don't want to be left behind on all of the new and cool things the Pre can do. Because from what I am reading, developers are not making new patches for WebOS 1.4.5 anymore. We are being left behind.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/09/2011 at 01:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast