1.    #1  
    After the story on P/C broke that Richard Kerris tweeted that updates to the Facebook app was coming, I asked Kerris on Twitter about updates to the crappy Google Maps application that we have:

outerspanish
    @richardkerris That's great. But how about an update to webOS's gMaps application??? Horrible loading time; very outdated.

richardkerris
    @outerspanish There's a lot of updates coming. Come to a webOS workshop and we'll show you them, under NDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by corolla90 View Post
    richardkerris
    @outerspanish There's a lot of updates coming. Come to a webOS workshop and we'll show you them, under NDA.
    He's not referring to Google Maps specifically here. For all you know, the maps app could be replaced by Bing Maps, as seen in the TouchPad emulator video that was on this website.
    nope
    what Kerris is saying is he is replacing the google maps with Bing
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I like that we can goose gmaps into showing Google Latitude info (see "Latitude Updater" in Preware). Bing will never do that. I'd REALLY like to see Google Maps get an update. Bing works fine for all the nice things it does, but Latitude is a Google feature and I'd like to see Google Maps get updated and handle Latitude better. If all we have is Bing, I think webOS will probably be the only smartphone without Google Maps.
    Kilroy was here.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Google Transit is my killer app, without it webOS is significantly less useful to me. I love webOS, but if I can't get Google Transit then I'll be forced to look elsewhere... and I really don't want to.

HP, don't force me to make that choice please.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Google Transit is my killer app, without it webOS is significantly less useful to me. I love webOS, but if I can't get Google Transit then I'll be forced to look elsewhere... and I really don't want to.

HP, don't force me to make that choice please.
    Have you tried BFGMaps? I "think" it has a traffic layer, I don't really know if it pulls that from google or other source

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    He's not referring to Google Maps specifically here. For all you know, the maps app could be replaced by Bing Maps, as seen in the TouchPad emulator video that was on this website.
    Ahh okay ... yeah, i admit, it's not clear that he was saying that updates to the gMaps app was coming, as opposed to updates in general coming to using a map application on webOS.
    choice is great, so if we do get bing, let us still keep gmaps. someone will figure this out hopefully.
    I wonder if it's only a change in 3.0 or if a 2.x update will swap Bing for Google.
    If they go the Bing route, it means they're getting either money, better development support, or other incentives from Microsoft. I'd think that MS would demand exclusivity (i.e., Google Maps removal) in return. It's not a certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=NuttyBunny;2955891]Have you tried BFGMaps? I "think" it has a traffic layer, I don't really know if it pulls that from google or other source

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

I want transit directions, not traffic information.

Also, I don't like BFG, the interface is a mess...
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    I like that we can goose gmaps into showing Google Latitude info (see "Latitude Updater" in Preware). Bing will never do that. I'd REALLY like to see Google Maps get an update. Bing works fine for all the nice things it does, but Latitude is a Google feature and I'd like to see Google Maps get updated and handle Latitude better. If all we have is Bing, I think webOS will probably be the only smartphone without Google Maps.
    , Blackberry signed a contract with Microsoft to have Bing as their search provider, i think it extended to maps too.
    I heard a rumor that the next update to google maps on webOS will allow you to type in an address and it will automatically show you that address on a map!! Who knows, maybe in the coming months they will add the ability to zoom in and out. Then if you just stay tuned they might add the ability to view satellite image of that address, and it is in the works to do birds eye view.
    too bad I can't go to a workshop lol