1.    #1  
    O.S 2.0
    Veer
    palm pre 3
    hp touchpad

my palm pre minus is not moving anywhere...
    that's how technology works and moves
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I hear you. Its kinda a bummer how these companies just leave behind users of old hardware, but I guess thats the (unfortunate) nature of business.

I was holding out for a true webos 2.1 update for my pre plus, but realized that's never gonna happen on ATT. Lucky for us, we have webos-internals.

I know this doesn't help you with the original pre, but honestly, if I were ATT, I'd throw webos 2.1 on the pre plus (which after using the webos internals version works VERY well on stock processor, even better then 1.4.5. I don't know what HP was talking about by saying the pre plus is not fast enough), and market that side by side the Veer until Pre 3 comes out. That way people could initially be drawn in by the Veer, but if they want a larger screen, they can get the pre plus for now (and for cheaper, since it has no 4g and slower processor). It's a win win, they get potentially more sales of webos devices which equals more money with minimal investment (they don't need to get pre 2, and getting webos 2.1 to work on pre plus i'm sure wouldn't cost THAT much money); additionally, they start building an ecosystem of webos devices, instead of just one... at the back of the store...

I don't know whats up with Sprint. Pre was a huge launch for them, can't see why they would just abandon it, but who knows.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    I hear you. Its kinda a bummer how these companies just leave behind users of old hardware, but I guess thats the (unfortunate) nature of business.

I was holding out for a true webos 2.1 update for my pre plus, but realized that's never gonna happen on ATT. Lucky for us, we have webos-internals.

I know this doesn't help you with the original pre, but honestly, if I were ATT, I'd throw webos 2.1 on the pre plus (which after using the webos internals version works VERY well on stock processor, even better then 1.4.5. I don't know what HP was talking about by saying the pre plus is not fast enough), and market that side by side the Veer until Pre 3 comes out. That way people could initially be drawn in by the Veer, but if they want a larger screen, they can get the pre plus for now (and for cheaper, since it has no 4g and slower processor). It's a win win, they get potentially more sales of webos devices which equals more money with minimal investment (they don't need to get pre 2, and getting webos 2.1 to work on pre plus i'm sure wouldn't cost THAT much money); additionally, they start building an ecosystem of webos devices, instead of just one... at the back of the store...

I don't know whats up with Sprint. Pre was a huge launch for them, can't see why they would just abandon it, but who knows.
    The big problem with this is contracts. I don't know about anyone else, but the prospect of having a Pre Plus (or even a Pre 2, given that the Pre 3 looks better in almost every single way) for two years is a bit . . . ehhhhhh, if you know what I mean.

Well, unless you're proposing that people buy their phones unlocked, which is an option, but even the Pre Plus costs quite a bit of money unlocked.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    well the average consumer, which is what businesses think about, prob don't know that the pre3 exists yet, which means if they come to a store they don't care. If someone who didn't know the pre3 existed came into an att store saw two palm models, one small one big, that have the same Os, they will prob take a look and play w them and find a good fit, esp for a phone that is not the iphone. If a phone has just one option and its in the back, then what? The consumer will prob think it sucks and not buy it. More options always equal more chances to buy, but obv more money for the company. I dunno, just doesn't seem like palm/hp has the sway to make demands right now, but if they made one, id make it that, because having those choices for customers is important