View Poll Results: How confident are you in the future of webOS?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm certain that HP and webOS will thrive and become a major part of the smartphone industry!

16 20.25%
  • I'm pretty sure that HP and webOS will become common knowledge, and certainly popular.

16 20.25%
  • I have my doubts, but I think HP and webOS will eventually come out well.

12 15.19%
  • I'm not so sure, I'm losing faith in this platform, but I hope it does well.

17 21.52%
  • It would be great if HP and webOS were to do really well, but I have many doubts.

15 18.99%
  • I am sure that HP and webOS will never succeed, and will slowly fade out of existence.

3 3.80%
  1.    #1  
    Just so I can get a good look at the general feeling of P|C. Let's see how you think HP and webOS will fare in the years to come.

Comments are always welcome.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    Obviously HP has big plans for webOS.
    The company that will innovate most will win the mobile race.
    When Palm stopped innovating with PalmOS it stopped seceding.
    When RIM stopped innovating on the software and hardware front it starts to lose.
    The reason Apple and Android are always ahead is because they are always innovating.
    I think Palm would of innovated but didn't have the money to do so.
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by 4r4qg View Post
    The company that will innovate most will win the mobile race.
    That's not the way marketplaces work. Innovation is only one part of the puzzle. At this point iOS and Android have a huge leg up in mindshare, developer interest, market share, carrier support, etc.
    The past few days my faith in Hp/Palm and the survival of webOS has been faltering. Tools that I could use to make my life easier on the go are not available to the OS. My Phone has become extremely sluggish even using screenstate 500/1000. I have had to restart my phone 2-3 times a day. On top of this I have a large crack by the USB door, which as of Sat is missing. I have invested a good deal of money into Palm/HP. I do hope the next outing can restore my faith.

Without major apps no matter how good or who we get to promote the OS I'm afraid that the OS I have supported since Jan 09 will falter and continue to lose ground to the 2 major players right now. Speaking of Major Apps Where is the document editing. Did that go the way of Epocrates, and many others?

I have been burned at least once so far. Owning a Palm Pre Plus without a acceptable working GPS system. Neither company will acknowledge the problem that has happened

As we have been told many times "there is enough room for 3 Mobile OS's in the market". While this might be true the OS that actually has the major market apps will be the next one to rise from the proverbial ashes.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I'm of similar opinion.

No matter how great WebOS is, without great apps to go along with it, I can't see how it will succeed.

It was understandable 1 - 1.5 years ago with the lack of available apps, but now WebOS is just shy of 2 years old.

It's disheartening in the least to see all the new apps that come out on a daily basis now for iOS and Android but NOT for WebOS.

HP ultimately abandoned (They said they would "make it right"... But seriously... what will they do ?? Give us free / highly discounted upgrade options?? Highly doubtful) it's current install base of Pre minus and Pre Plus users by not supporting WebOS 2.0. They are essentially starting from scratch AGAIN and I personally and not willing to gamble on HP by purchasing a Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3 or especially a Touchpad to "hope" developers come on board and start giving me what can be had on Android, iOS immediately. I took my gamble already by spending $200.00 on a Pre minus and locking into a 3 year contact. I'm not willing to commit another 2 - 3 years to HP again. That boat has already sailed.

I seriously wish them the best !! They DO HAVE THE BEST OS out there in the mobile market !!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    The past few days my faith in Hp/Palm and the survival of webOS has been faltering. Tools that I could use to make my life easier on the go are not available to the OS. My Phone has become extremely sluggish even using screenstate 500/1000. I have had to restart my phone 2-3 times a day. On top of this I have a large crack by the USB door, which as of Sat is missing. I have invested a good deal of money into Palm/HP. I do hope the next outing can restore my faith.

Without major apps no matter how good or who we get to promote the OS I'm afraid that the OS I have supported since Jan 09 will falter and continue to lose ground to the 2 major players right now. Speaking of Major Apps Where is the document editing. Did that go the way of Epocrates, and many others?

I have been burned at least once so far. Owning a Palm Pre Plus without a acceptable working GPS system. Neither company will acknowledge the problem that has happened

As we have been told many times "there is enough room for 3 Mobile OS's in the market". While this might be true the OS that actually has the major market apps will be the next one to rise from the proverbial ashes.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    HP appears to be committed to webos products. It's unclear how the cellular carriers will influence the market for HP smart phones and tablets. Susidized costs for US phones are influential, but I would consider buying another webos phone direct from HP at an unsubsidized cost if it had a service life of 5 years, and cellular tranceivers that worked on all the major 4 US carriers.

I think the cellular market in the US is stymied by the carriers, and other avenues of offering consumers choice need to be paved.
    Last edited by tyea; 05/03/2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    When I bought my Pre+, I knew I was getting something that was 'rough around the edges' -- but, I was ok with that because of all the great potential I saw in the product. Palm would get to those areas soon, right???

I have no regrets & love WebOS, however, I have doubts as to whether a Pre3 will physically support what I have made my Pre+ do.

I have a really tough list of requirements: do what my T|X did as well as be a decent phone.

I get the distinct feeling that Palm's objective has been "be as good as iOS" (which is a low-bar from some angles)

I find it disappointing that nobody (Palm included) in the current Smartphone industry seems to care about basic eMail + PIM functionality like Palm used to. Because there's been little to no improvements to-date in these areas to-date, I question whether Palm/HP will care going forward.

In summary: what I originally mistook as 'temporary roughness' appears to be a semi-permanent state of affairs.

I really want HP to impress us with the Pre3 / WebOS 3.x ... but, I'm having a hard time believing it.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Maybe that's why it's faltering, because you're using really old hardware. The Pre 2 flies. I wouldn't consider it old, it can definitely hold its own against other phones currently in the market. If you had a Pre 2, I would bet you would feel a lot better about webOS.

Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    It's disheartening in the least to see all the new apps that come out on a daily basis now for iOS and Android but NOT for WebOS.
    Then don't see them, and you won't feel the disheartening.
    i dont't think hp is serious about the phone business
    wow what mixed reviews !! lol i would hate to ask yall what yall think about the end of the world !! ha ha #nofaith lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->