Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    after reading the post on the front page, I'm a little confused.
    it states the gesture area is to be no more in the HP webOS era.

has there been any confirmation of this by hp/palm folks?
    I thought the lack of a gesture area on the touchpad was a design decision concerning hardware, not software..
    the gesture area is still going to be on webos going forward, its currently just not for the touchpad.
    lack of a gesture are is not the same as not supportiing gestures. webOS will always support gestures.
    I'm sure it will stay where it makes sense (small mobile devices like phones).
    Tablets have so much screen estates that they don't really need gestures, I'm not totaly sure they won't come back to the next tablet anyway though - just because they rock
    We know for sure the Touchpad won't have one, and the Veer and Pre3 will. Beyond that, who knows.

Besides, the only gesture you really need the gesture area for is the advanced gesture, the one where you swipe the gesture area to quickly switch apps. We'll miss it here, but it's likely the majority of non-tech savvy people who don't look for it don't have it active, so the gesture area won't exactly be missed. As long as they have a capacitive area (not a hardware button) that you can tap to minimize cards, I'll be fine with it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have read a couple of times that the gesture area will be done away with on webOS 3.0.

Is this true?

Is this just for the Touchpad?

How will it be replaced?

I am having a hard time considering webOS without gestures.
    <<threads merged>>
    Ruby has said multiple times that smaller devices will continue to utilize a gesture area. the touchpad does't really need it because of the way enyo utilizes the extra screen real-estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Ruby has said multiple times that smaller devices will continue to utilize a gesture area. the touchpad does't really need it because of the way enyo utilizes the extra screen real-estate.
    I don't think they figured this out yet. If someone buys an app on a Pre3 or stingray that uses gestures and then it doesn't work as well in a TouchPad window or whatever they do, after awhile this is going to grow old.
    I think Palm is focused on the TouchPad success and they will start to figure out how it meshes with phones afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I don't think they figured this out yet. If someone buys an app on a Pre3 or stingray that uses gestures and then it doesn't work as well in a TouchPad window or whatever they do, after awhile this is going to grow old.
    I think Palm is focused on the TouchPad success and they will start to figure out how it meshes with phones afterwards.
    wrong. they have figured it out. its called enyo. they actually demoed how an enyo app will seemlessly scale between formfactors. the developer only has to develop one app. when the user opens the app, it notices the resolution of the device and scales itself accordingly. they example they showed was the email app. if your on a large screen device like the touchpad, all of the scenes will lay side-by-side. there's no need for a gesture area, you just manipulate the scenes to display the content you want.

if your on a cell phone, you only see one scene at a time, and you navigate between those same scenes using the gesture area, just like we've been doing.

perhaps you should watch the feb9 demo again.

now if the app was developed using the mojo framework it WOULD require a gesture area on all devices. in the case of the touchpad there will be an on-screen gesture area. this is a short term solution. the long term solution is enyo as hp will eventually stop supporting mojo.

so yes HP has figured it out and stated clearly how they will proceed. currently we're in a transitional period while developers rewrite their apps using the enyo framework.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/03/2011 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I am having a hard time considering webOS without gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If someone buys an app on a Pre3 or stingray that uses gestures and then it doesn't work as well in a TouchPad window or whatever they do, after awhile this is going to grow old.
    We need to remember that:

No gesture area != No gestures

Like I mentioned before, the only gesture that uses the full gesture bar exclusively is the app switch gesture, the one gesture you have to go and turn on. Everything else either can be accomplished without a gesture area, or is already accomplished without a gesture area. I'm sure the down-swipe gesture that brings down the app/device menu can be easily adapted to the up-swipe gesture that minimizes card view for devices that don't have a gesture area.

Also, the new Enyo framework is supposed to facilitate development across different platforms/form factors, minimizing or removing fragmentation as a factor.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    from a chat I had with a rep using that palm chat thing on my phone after hearing the playbook will have gestures I asked out of curiosity to see what kind of answer I'd get. The rep told me the touchpad will in fact have gestures and a gesture area. I also took screenshots of what he said but down side is I can't upload it because I use my phone for online use since I have no computer... I know sad but I'm glad he said it'll have a gesture area
    Quote Originally Posted by jyaden24 View Post
    from a chat I had with a rep using that palm chat thing on my phone after hearing the playbook will have gestures I asked out of curiosity to see what kind of answer I'd get. The rep told me the touchpad will in fact have gestures and a gesture area. I also took screenshots of what he said but down side is I can't upload it because I use my phone for online use since I have no computer... I know sad but I'm glad he said it'll have a gesture area
    I think I'd go with what ruby and all those touch pad demos we've seen since feb 9 and assume the chat guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
    i don't want to have to press a button labeled 'back'.

we don't need a gesture area to have gestures. webos should expand on the use of gestures and incorporate all of them and much more on the device's screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    i don't want to have to press a button labeled 'back'.

we don't need a gesture area to have gestures. webos should expand on the use of gestures and incorporate all of them and much more on the device's screen.
    You don't have to press a button labeled back. You slide the scenes into view using an onscreen icon.