Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
       #1  
    Seriously, according to Josh T, formerly of Engadget, on their new site, The new iPhone might just have inductive charging AND a gesture/swipe area around the Home button! Please HP, release the Pre 3 and TouchPad BEFORE the iPhone 5 or all originality will once again be lost to Apple!

    Is this what the iPhone 5 will look like? | This is my next...
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Seriously, according to Josh T, formerly of Engadget, on their new site, The new iPhone might just have inductive charging AND a gesture/swipe area around the Home button! Please HP, release the Pre 3 and TouchPad BEFORE the iPhone 5 or all originality will once again be lost to Apple!

    Is this what the iPhone 5 will look like? | This is my next...
    What happens if HP beats Apple to market with the TouchPad, Pre 3 and Veer? Are people going to buy it in place of te iPhone simply because it was out first?

    I don't understand the logic here.
  3. #3  
    Ugh.
  4. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
       #4  
    It means that WebOS doesnt become another Me Too OS in the eyes of the majority of consumers, if Apple adds these magical and revolutionary features that change everything again with its iphone 5, WebOS loses some of its individuality if you like, what sets it apart from other mobile OS', new WebOS devices lose some of their potential mindshare as those cool devices that charge when you put them down, that differentiation of the swipes/gestures to switch between open apps. Not good. HP lose some of their marketing material as the innovators of aforementioned features. We all know how difficult it is to go up against Apple's marketing machine and 1 or 2 of WebOS's defining features being announced by Apple first? Well that's 1 or 2 less things HP gets to brag about and pitch to consumers without seeming like copycats.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    It means that WebOS doesnt become another Me Too OS in the eyes of the majority of consumers, if Apple adds these magical and revolutionary features that change everything again with its iphone 5, WebOS loses some of its individuality if you like, what sets it apart from other mobile OS', new WebOS devices lose some of their potential mindshare as those cool devices that charge when you put them down, that differentiation of the swipes/gestures to switch between open apps. Not good. HP lose some of their marketing material as the innovators of aforementioned features. We all know how difficult it is to go up against Apple's marketing machine and 1 or 2 of WebOS's defining features being announced by Apple first? Well that's 1 or 2 less things HP gets to brag about and pitch to consumers without seeming like copycats.
    webOS has had these individualities for almost two years now. It's going to take more than new hardware to revitalize itself.

    Apps and support by third parties is where success will come, at least imho.
  6. #6  
    Then again, if HP beats Apple to market and gains significant mindshare, that is a potentially very sticky situation for Apple - the innovators caught out as the copycats.
    Honestly, say what you want about Apple but they truly are genuine innovators. I would be very surprised if anything they come out with comes across as an HPalm 'ripoff'.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    webOS has had these individualities for almost two years now. It's going to take more than new hardware to revitalize itself.

    Apps and support by third parties is where success will come, at least imho.
    You are aware that the hardware issues over the past 2yrs made webOS invisible...right. Carrier reps who have really tried webOS and users generally agree that webOS is revolutionary, but the bummed hardware, weak power, and poor optimization of the OS dominated the focus.....so how can you say this

    Once there is great hardware, then one can focus on what webOS has to offer, hopefully along with a growing app catalog.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 04/22/2011 at 08:02 PM.
  8. #8  
    My thing is that Josh mentions the possibilities of a gesture area being implemented in future iPads. It would be safe to assume that Apple would be releasing an iPad 3 before HP releases a TouchPad 2 (or whatever they decide to call future models). If Apple comes out with a tablet with gestures before HP, it would definitely make HP look like copy cats.

    They way Apple markets and makes things look "magical", they will be perceived as the innovators of it. Oh well, I guess that's just an unfortunate result having small market & mind share; you end up not getting credit for your own innovations. Let's hope HP has patents on this stuff.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    It means that WebOS doesnt become another Me Too OS in the eyes of the majority of consumers...
    I disagree. Let's be serious here....the Pre has been out for almost TWO YEARS! What makes you think that the Pre 3 coming out potentially a couple months before the iPhone 5 is going to make ANYONE think that HP is not just another Me Too. Heck, even if HP beats the iPhone out by 3 months, the general public will think that they stole if from Apple and rushed it to market first to try to beat apple.

    Only time will tell if HP and webOS are going to make it at all...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    My thing is that Josh mentions the possibilities of a gesture area being implemented in future iPads. It would be safe to assume that Apple would be releasing an iPad 3 before HP releases a TouchPad 2 (or whatever they decide to call future models). If Apple comes out with a tablet with gestures before HP, it would definitely make HP look like copy cats.

    They way Apple markets and makes things look "magical", they will be perceived as the innovators of it. Oh well, I guess that's just an unfortunate result having small market & mind share; you end up not getting credit for your own innovations. Let's hope HP has patents on this stuff.
    Apple is never generally the first to anything, but they are generally the first to deliver an experience that a mass market enjoys and appreciates.

    Apple's not concerned about beating HP, RIM or anyone else to the market with particularl features but rather beating the overall experience.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/22/2011 at 09:34 PM.
  11. #11  
    Well, inductive charging has been out there in some form for all phones. HP is just taking it to another level with webOS using Exhibition and Touch-To-Share. As for gesture area, I guess those five-finger gestures aren't all they're cracked up to be.
  12. Jane66's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple is never generally the first to anything, but they are generally the first to deliver an experience that a mass market enjoys and appreciates.

    Apple's not concerned about beating HP, RIM or anyone else to the market with particularl features but rather beating the overall experience.
    Totally agreed!
    Apple wins bcz it give the unprecedented and unique experience, I thinkt the competitors should pay attention to not the product self, but the product give what's experice to customers, not the time only, what the most important is unprecedented playing and using experience!
  13. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
       #13  
    I'm not claiming that if HP get the products out before the iPhone 5 then Apple seem like the copycats, I'm simply saying that HP should claim those features before Apple does, it gives WebOS devices a talking point. And it seems over the course of 2 years people have forgotten the failure after failure of Palm's marketing campaigns, creepy irrelevant lady, borderline sexist ads, lack of rep training, poor hardware, ridiculous returns and replacements, seriously, and now that Palm is part of the largest tech company in the world with some proper manufacturing and marketing, especially with the award winning marketer they've just hired, how can anyone say "what's the difference, the Pre's been out for 2 years"?! It's a very different landscape for WebOS now and HP should capitalise on their asset before Apple does.
    Last edited by i_maq; 04/23/2011 at 07:48 AM.
  14. #14  
    If Apple does it then most people will think apple started it. I think this phone will be out before Christmas this year. That gives HP only a few months before apple gets recognized.

    I think they will have the button similar to "advanced genture" option on Webos. Making the device function just like today but with more power for users that want to use it.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  15. #15  
    If more phones get a gesture area, "true multitasking", etc., then that's fine in my book. Makes for more competitive choices when it's time to buy a phone.
  16. #16  
    I think it's very important that palm/hp get recognized for the innovative features of webos prior to competitors implementing them. It's all about protecting your brand. Apple won't even let samsung get away with they're an app launcher that looks like an ios screen. It would be several times more damaging to palm of apple is recognized by consumers as the innovator when it comes to gestures.
  17. #17  
    HP, here’s how you can win in mobile | This is my next...

    I think you guys are worrying too much about gestures and all that. The above link is what HP should be known for as much as apple is known for itunes, google for its own apps, MS for xbox, office, bing.

    Of course it goes without saying HP needs to do other things like focus on consumer more, understand what consumers want, learn how to market in the mobile space, have a desktop client to manage webOS devices, build up apps, issue timely updates, evolve webOS, make some slick looking devices, ...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I disagree. Let's be serious here....the Pre has been out for almost TWO YEARS! What makes you think that the Pre 3 coming out potentially a couple months before the iPhone 5 is going to make ANYONE think that HP is not just another Me Too. Heck, even if HP beats the iPhone out by 3 months, the general public will think that they stole if from Apple and rushed it to market first to try to beat apple.

    Only time will tell if HP and webOS are going to make it at all...
    I'm with you on this one. The release of the Pre 3 nor TouchPad changes the fact that the features being discussed that Apple may mimic have already been available in webOS for close to two years now. If they're not known by some by now then the release of the Pre 3 or TouchPad in comparison to Apples releases isn't going to change anything. Those people obviously aren't interested in anything without an apple logo on them and could care less about webOS anyway. What's the point?
    If Apple does implement similar functionality in its devices are fans of webOS going to switch to Apple? I think not. People in general back and buy devices they like and take whatever functionality is currently offered in said devices. I'll admit to being a fan of HP-Palm and would not be one to purchase an iPhone or iPad as long as webOS is still alive and kickin. Other OS's can copy all they want. HP-Palm will intervene where necessary and has already been vocal about the similarities in RIM's Playbook.

    http://blog.laptopmag.com/hp-says-blackberry-playbook-result-of-fast-imitation-cycle-rim-responds
  19. #19  
    yeah its not as serious as the OP makes it out to be. Webos is established as a os that utilizes cards as applications, and a gesture area for navigation. Even as copy cats like the playbook when HP launches their devices it will always be known when it comes to those two basic things and others (like synergy) that they are the original ones to do it period. So no there is no rush or worry to get to the market to just to beat out another product that may or may not include a simliar function.
  20. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yeah its not as serious as the OP makes it out to be. Webos is established as a os that utilizes cards as applications, and a gesture area for navigation. Even as copy cats like the playbook when HP launches their devices it will always be known when it comes to those two basic things and others (like synergy) that they are the original ones to do it period. So no there is no rush or worry to get to the market to just to beat out another product that may or may not include a simliar function.
    Really? Known by who exactly? WebOS enthusiasts like us? Sure, but if you and I went to the mall on a busy afternoon and asked people to identify to us our phones (holding up a Pre x) and then tell us what the defining features of WebOS are, how many out of a 100 people do you think would be able to? How many do you think would even know what a Pre x is?! Now imagine a few months down the line, Apple has put these features on the iPhone, WebOS is still "established as a [sic] os that utilizes cards as applications, and a gesture area for navigation" by a bunch of us on this forum, but the rest of the world now identifies these as iPhone innovations because HP didn't claim them and market them quick enough, and neither did Palm before them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions