Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And you're going to change that how, by releasing the Pre 3 or TouchPad before Apple releases their products?

If the Pre, Pre+, Pixi, Pixi+ and Pre 2 releases didn't make these features known to the masses what makes you think the release of the Pre 3 and TouchPad will?
    I regress. People will buy what they want either because it meets their needs based on actually researching what's available in the different mobile OS's, or because of hype and it's what everyone else has. This goes way beyond webOS and iOS, lest we forget Android, Windows Mobile and RIM.
    Last edited by NachoB; 04/23/2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I'm with you on this one. The release of the Pre 3 nor TouchPad changes the fact that the features being discussed that Apple may mimic have already been available in webOS for close to two years now. If they're not known by some by now then the release of the Pre 3 or TouchPad in comparison to Apples releases isn't going to change anything. Those people obviously aren't interested in anything without an apple logo on them and could care less about webOS anyway. What's the point?
    If Apple does implement similar functionality in its devices are fans of webOS going to switch to Apple? I think not. People in general back and buy devices they like and take whatever functionality is currently offered in said devices. I'll admit to being a fan of HP-Palm and would not be one to purchase an iPhone or iPad as long as webOS is still alive and kickin. Other OS's can copy all they want. HP-Palm will intervene where necessary and has already been vocal about the similarities in RIM's Playbook.

HP Says BlackBerry PlayBook Imitates webOS, RIM Responds
    From my own personal experience, everyone that I know that owns an iPhone or iPad it was their first Apple product, ever.

This has nothing to do with brand loyalty but rather Apple finally making a big splash into the marketplace with products that appeal to consumers on a large scale (compare to the 80's-90's when Macs weren't considered to be mainstream).
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    It means that WebOS doesnt become another Me Too OS in the eyes of the majority of consumers.
    WebOS for the Enterprise and business focus. Consumers are a nice to have while iOS and Android will continue to own this space. By 2015, HP may have maybe 10% of consumer market - my guess.

They are just to late to this party.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    From my own personal experience, everyone that I know that owns an iPhone or iPad it was their first Apple product, ever.

This has nothing to do with brand loyalty but rather Apple finally making a big splash into the marketplace with products that appeal to consumers on a large scale (compare to the 80's-90's when Macs weren't considered to be mainstream).
    I tend to think the appeal factor was created by marketing genius, something yet to be seen by HP-Palm.
    Its simplistic mainstream function of being tied to iTunes for much of the management of the device might appeal to those who would call The Geek Squad for every PC problem they experience, but I prefer the more open nature of webOS allowing me to manage my device the way I see fit.
    Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, having more than one iTunes dependent device becomes a nightmare to manage without some behind the scenes iTunes know-how by the user(s).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    No matter how great WebOS is, at this point it's not going to make the Pre3 a success (or the touchpad).

The average person has no clue what the subtle usability differences may be, let alone understand why they want to multitask. The iPhone is sadly way ahead because of the ipod, getting so many people stupidly reliant on iTunes for buying music (my friends who I constantly tell to buy their music on Amazon, still just keep buying from itunes)... and then it made them want to keep their music on their phones... and so it just keeps going on like this. It was music that started all of this IMO...

If HP is going to make even a dent in this market, it needs to create something truly innovative, that people really understand. Something incredibly sexy, that makes a fashion statement. Even those people who really do understand the differences between devices, are choosing other devices. So despite the great OS, there are not only gaps that make those mobile device nerds choose an iPhone or EVO, but there is nothing that will draw the average consumer on the horizon.

As much as I dislike itunes, I don't have any desire to buy/watch movies on my pre, and I'm not sure I know a great way to do this (without transcoding everything). There's no Netflix app, not even a kindle app (yet). Apple WILL catch up in the usability department, and then the choice will be pretty easy for even us WebOs fans.

The Pre3 will arrive "in the coming months" (July maybe)... and then the iPhone 5 will create 5 hour lines across the country in the fall... and they'll be giving Pre3's away for free by Thanksgiving. Just a prediction... :/

I will say however, that my Pre Plus isn't nearly as addicting to me as iPhone or Android devices may be... I'm not constantly using my phone every second of the day like I see other device owners. That is a good thing in many ways... but I'm not sure what that says about the Pre...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12