Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I dont care for exhibition mode, just don't like how it looks. Most everything in webos has round corners, but this is square with white on light blue. For something that is meant to be at a glance it should be more contrasted than that in my opinion.

So it is possible not to have the phone go to exhibition when on touchstone. I prefer to use mode switcher and launch agenda app instead.
    If you are talking about the Time function of Exhibition mode, you can just tap the screen to change the background to plain black. You can also hit the power button and turn off the screen.

If you want it off, you should be able to go to the Exhibition app and simply turn all of the selectors to "off". You won't be able to turn it off completely as it is designed to show the Time at a minimum. But like I said above, you can tap the screen to choose between a black or a blue 'sky' background... or you can simply hit the power and turn off the screen completely.
    I wonder if there is an approach similar to what Xanadu73 found over in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2930467.

Basically disable exhibition from starting when the phone boots.
    Seems like, alternatively, it could also be uninstalled and that might do it. Not sure if it would crash things though...
    Yeah... I'm sure someone will come up with a patch to kill the app at some point. I really wish someone would come up with a patch for voicedial that would keep it from giving voice feedback through the speaker-phone and use the earpiece instead... but that's a topic for another thread.

As far as the Exhibition mode goes... I use the black background all the time and just turn off the screen at night.
    I for one would prefer my screen to just turn off and not have to take the extra step of pressing the power button.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I for one would prefer my screen to just turn off and not have to take the extra step of pressing the power button.
    Ditto. Or turn back on at random throughout the night.

Basically, i want it to act as if the USB charger is being used. Occasionally i might want to launch exhibition manually, but that would be an added bonus.
    I smell a future patch!
    There is an exhibition app called Nightstand that is black except for the top bar.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    There is an exhibition app called Nightstand that is black except for the top bar.
    Yes, thanks. That was mentioned in this thread already.
    As pointed out, the screen is still on with Nightstand. This thread is about turning off exhibition mode.

Update: i guess it wasn't mentioned above. HelloNNNewman was talking about the default exhibition mode with black background. Thread is still about turning of exhibition completely tho
    Yes, I was talking about that because there is currently no way to turn it off completely. So, really that's the answer.... now you just need to find out if a Homebrewer can create a patch for you.
    I'm trying to see if Xanadu73 will help me track down a way to disable it.

I'll update this thread with those efforts.
    I developed Nightstand and I'm still looking for public API's to dim and/or turn off the screen. A patch may be the only current way through one of the private Service API's (or through a homebrew app).
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I developed Nightstand and I'm still looking for public API's to dim and/or turn off the screen. A patch may be the only current way through one of the private Service API's (or through a homebrew app).
    Hey just an FYI LumberJack spits some errors when i use NightStand.

Glad to have it though, it's the best we've got right now.
    OK, so tonight i tired to find out if there was a way to disable exhibition. The approach i referred to before that Xanadu73 used for voicedial will not work. That preferences file doesn't contain any reference to exhibition.

rwhitby suggested it might be an activity, but impostah doesn't show it as one when it isn't in exhibition mode.

I also tried killing the appid associated with exhibition. as soon as i docked it launched exhibition and was replaced by a different appid (i presume).

I'm hoping others could offer some suggestions on what to do next.
    Can anyone advise on the efficacy of uninstalling exhibition? I don't really care about it that much, and would rather have it not at all, than have it come on randomly when i don't want it...

How will Luna handle a call to this if it isn't installed? Any guesses?
    Hi. I was wondering if there was a way to fully disable the exhibition mode when my touchpad is placed on the touchstone charging dock? in the settings, i see that the 'time' checkbox can not be unchecked. The reason is that i don't need my touchpad lit up during the night, just want it to charge, nothing else. I know i can turn the exhibition display off by clicking on the 'power' button, but i'd like to be able to go from the regular 'desktop' display immediately to black screen after hitting the power button only once. I just don't want to use any of the physical buttons on this device more than i have to, since the product is out of commission on top of the fact that any replacements will be refurbished TPs. Thanks much.
    Try the app Nightstand.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I did use nightstand . Not a complete solution. Screen is still on, (although 99% is blacked out) and using power when we should be concerned about saving electricity in this day
    Quote Originally Posted by rkn5555 View Post
    I did use nightstand . Not a complete solution. Screen is still on, (although 99% is blacked out) and using power when we should be concerned about saving electricity in this day
    Have you switched to only using CFL's or LED lights all over your home? If not, then you probably have much bigger electricity hogs to deal with than the Touchstone charger which I suspect uses at most $2-$3 worth of electricity on an annual basis (I just plugged in my Kill A Watt to verify). Complain about Exhibition Mode and its configurability if you must, but the amount of electricity that it genuinely wastes is negligible for the typical high-tech household.
    It has been awhile since this thread was updated. Is there now a patch to turn off the screen when docked instead of exhibition mode? (alternatively and probably neater would be to have a timer to the exhibition mode for turning off the screen)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast