1.    #1  
    This just hit me. Are sprint pre owners considered the base for Palm *******? I read somewhere that the Palm pre sold the most units on sprint. Is that true? If so, HP and Palm aren't doing a good job of focusing on the base. Think about it for a sec. The other carriers had two versions of the pre and are inline to get the Pre3 first.

I'm saying all this because HP should be bold and announce a great deal for sprint users. A good idea would be to tradein a working condition pre for $100 credit towards a Pre3. Which could translate to $150 out of pocket for a pre3 on a 2yr or $100 out of pocket for premier customers. I'm getting slammed by sprint with coupons for android phones. Last one was $99 for evo 4G. HP shouldn't expect launch day owners to wait until the fall or the holidays for the pre3.
    i think sprint sold the most units of palm pre's because they were exclusive with sprint for the longest time. and when the time came for the pre to be in other carriers the pre was old story already.

but i do hope they do something for "loyal" costumers.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    I agree, Sprint had the exclusive....and by the time the other carriers had them, word was already out regarding the pre's hardware shortcomings like the oreo. By then, the general public was iffy at best and it didn't help that Verizon was heavily promoting Droid and neglecting the pre, or that ATT was heavily into the iphone.

There were also numerous accounts as you can find in the blogs here that retailers didn't know the strengths of webos and salesmen instantly diverted attention to other phones, couple that with the uncertainty of the future of webos back then when it was struggling to stay alive.

Now that HP has acquired webos, I feel that they have a tough task to appeal to consumers. Most of the faithful are still holding strong, but that doesn't mean that they are happy as you can see in majority of precentral's thread. Some have gone off to what they consider greener pastures, while the rest have already chose their product/os of choice, as you can tell by the multitude of fan boys that exist.

Let's face it webos is known only to the few techno savvy or ex-users out there. HP has so much to do to make webos software and hardware fascinating and cool. Now I'm not saying they'll have a difficult time on the business/corporate side of the house, just the plain Jane's and Joe's out there. I would like to see more exposure on HP's part as we near d-day, instead of leaks, rumors, news from others. If people have to dig deep to uncover something webos instead of HP dishing it out, it just makes us and everyone else all the more skeptic and more of a critic.

What I am more interested in is a percentage of pres to other handsets for sprint, verizon, and att respectively, and whether or not it has significantly decreased since its release. This will help in gauging, more or less speculate why no carriers have been announced and why HP seems hush as the buzz slows down. Everything is money driven and no one wants negative revenue. Maybe that's why HP seems to be focusing more on their wifi tablet.

With all that said, I am one of the grumpy faithfulls still waiting and still hoping.
    Last edited by champiful; 04/21/2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    A trade in program would be awesome, let's hope this is HP's line of thinking too. However, that is one of my worries about trying to frankenpre... what would Sprint/HP's response be to a pre2 or pre plus on Sprint?
    HP has no control over what Sprint does.
    HP can not announce anything on Sprint (or any other carrier for that matter) because there have been no carriers announced by HP, nor any carriers announcing they will offer the Pre3.

I would expect any announcement of carriers for the Pre3 would include an announcement of a trade-in type program too.

However, as we get closer and closer to "summer" with no announced carriers there is a chance that the Pre3 will not be offered on any carriers in the U.S. I know its a stretch, but the silence is deafening.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I'm getting slammed by sprint with coupons for android phones. Last one was $99 for evo 4G.
    Where are these coupons coming from? I'm a Sprint Premier customer, and I don't recall seeing anything like the deal above. Do they come via email, the post?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    A trade in program would be awesome, let's hope this is HP's line of thinking too. However, that is one of my worries about trying to frankenpre... what would Sprint/HP's response be to a pre2 or pre plus on Sprint?
    I got an email from HP for Memorial Day weekend. Clicked link to this page: Specials and Promotions -- HP's Small & Medium Business Online Store
    Under Smartphones, it gives a trade-in link. I went through and it basically said my Sprint Pre was worth $60. I reran it with a Pre Plus and it said $68.
    Honestly, that is much more than I expected to get for either of them.