• WM

1 1.69%
  • Symbian

1 1.69%
  • Meego?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  

I am a so called ****** geek but i like android, iOS, webOS pretty much equal in the eyes of a geek but in the eyes of a mainstream customer/user iOS and webOS are best with webOS giving you that familar keyboard.
    I started w/WM6.1 not too old but the end of wm dominance, never tried palmOS, had htc vogue and treo pro. Then palm pre was shown off it was great, a very long six months of google email alerts about palm pre, i found precentral.net and i became a phone geek. I still check the tech sites daily.
    I remember my ignorance when i went from htc vogue to treo pro realizing i wasted money cause besides physical keyboard(my fav. F all time). I know pc's n such, but i was dumb. Then pre changed it. I got moment/hero on srint returned both, got the htc evo really like it. Recycled the pre to mom. Got ipad late april then later on bought 3gs just to have. Palm sent me free pre2,unlocked.
    I love ipad, works great as a replacement for laptop, school and such, just use pc for streaming icefilms. Touchpad is its only real competition i dont see android ever doing good as laptop replacement. Imo. I like android as a phone.
    webOS looks great, swims between multiple apps in cards, and if need to change wallpaper or send email to bill whatshisname all you gotta do is use th keyboard, n type. iOS does multitasking not so great but its okay and android, uh, it fails. Yes i know it actually runs multi apps but seeing them in sum order or i dont feel like flipping around for them or not being able to close this one or that.
    The pre2 i got for FREE, is great i just wish it was bigger, alas pre3, when i had treo pro, which has the best feel in your palm, i thought pre was gonna be same form and size just with a slide keyboard. But the pre2 feels great so much better than og pre, pls i like the how the glass covers the entire front of phone.
    These are my words and my opinion.
    And what is your reason for liking webOS over _____? Or is _____ better?
    Last edited by bryanjfaber; 04/18/2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: ******* is for fan. Boy.
    i love smartphones for their abilities and dumbphones for their simplicity.

webos is the only one to bring these together.

using a smartphone prior to the pre for me always ment a tradeoff in terms of hasseling around with the os even i only wanted to do a simple thing like reading and answering sms: wm6 landscape slider quertz and tiny buttons and scrollbars operated via an extensible stylus ment a fail for an all day usage for me. so i replaced those soon with a solid and lasting nokia dumbphone.

now that i have pre the only tradeoff left is standby time.

i dont care for massive app inflation.

android has the potential to one day become as simple.

ios is pretty simple but not as simple as webos but still limits the abilities i expect from a smartphone. and the simplicity it has is built upon that limits, for example: you always have to return and start from this one holy place called the home screen menu cluttered with icons, each leading into a limited path hiding away the rest of the os.
    i love my pre+ and my ipod touch.
    my ipod is used mostly for the amazing games it has on it (just look at infinity blade)
    and love webOS for its brilliant homebrew community and the way it works.

i really cannot choose between the 2 due to the large differences they have in the way they look, act and work.
    O2 UK Pre Plus, Official (German) ROW webOS 2.1
    I love webOS and iOS, but most of all I love polls that let me choose more than one answer.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    one-handed/thumb-operated convenience of traditional phones with the capability of a two-handed smartphone.

cuz its a phone first.
    i dont think webOS i better than andriod or iOS, but it is better for my needs. the beauty and simplicity of the UI combined with synergy services is hampered only by the cloudy development situation. onces 2.0 is a thing of the past and we're firmly set in 3.0, i'd imagine i'll say webOS is truly the best.
    webOS is truly better than iOS/android because:

of the homebrew community.

simple as that. this is the most customizable phone on the market. all because of the homebrewers.
    You're not really going to get any different results other than webOS because this is on a webOS forum but I will say that I like webOS and Andriod alot better than iOS but not in the fanboyish type way. I like them mostly because they have the one thing most others don't... Flash Player!
    webOS and iOS are beautiful and polished, intuitive, and easy to work with. They have a tiny learning curve.
    The opposite is true for Android... but if you don't mind inconsequent UIs, once you've "learned" it, you've learned it.

webOS and Android are heavily customizable and there is nary a feature or element you cannot modify to your liking.
    The opposite is true for iOS... but if you don't mind doing things the way Steve intended for you to do them and only that one way, you never will.

iOS and Android have a lot of apps going for them. There are few things you won't find an app for.
    The opposite is true for webOS... but if you can live with doing the stuff 75% of those apps do on a mobile website delivering the exact same features, you can live with it.
    Of course I picked webOS....it's the only OS I've used(and therefore have no comparisson)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  11. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I have a launch day Pre. Yes, I would very much like to have a newer model. I am frustrated it is taking so long.

But right now I don't feel there is another phone on the market I would like better than my almost 2 yr old Pre. All the patches, customization and over-clocking keep it fresh and preforming and if it was not for that I do not think I would be using my 2 yr old Pre to this day. So is my Pre really 2 yrs old? Not really when you consider how far we have come from launch day. Can iOS or Android really tell the same story?
    what people don't understand is that it's not "what's better".. it's "whats better for you" is the key question

We all have our differences. I like webOS because it suits my needs. It does what I want it to do, and it does it well.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I think that almost everybody who uses WebOS does so because of its ease of customization. I really like being able to make little tweaks to the OS and default apps that just are not possible on my ipod touch. To echo the sentiments of others, the fact that I can turn my phone into the ideal phone for ME is what makes it great. What I may want to do with my phone is probably different than what others may want and the fact that one OS can make everybody happy is very important to me. I feel that the homebrew community is one of the aspects that makes the overall WebOS community so tight nit and loyal despite all the hiccups H/Palm has had along the way.

However, even before I discovered Preware and the customization community, I fell in love with the gesture area. I liked the fact that there was an off screen area that allowed more input than just click, double click, etc... I love the back swipe for navigating menus. If there was one feature I wish my ipod touch had, it would be a gesture area instead of the single button.
    I think webOS has the potential to be the best combined with homebrew. But as of right now, I'd pick iOS easily. Android is a mess. WP7's UI doesn't appeal to me. RIM seems lost.

Second place isn't too shabby though Now if only HP can translate that into a second place platform.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i dont think webOS i better than andriod or iOS, but it is better for my needs. the beauty and simplicity of the UI combined with synergy services is hampered only by the cloudy development situation. onces 2.0 is a thing of the past and we're firmly set in 3.0, i'd imagine i'll say webOS is truly the best.
    Agreed, I love the ui... Im hoping sprint gets pre3 and the slate webOS device w/o kb. Well actually maybe i would choose having a slider..
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I really don't think Webos is better than Android. I cannot comment on IOS since I never used it but the iPhone app store puts Palm's app catalog to shame. For webos to be considered better it will need lots of problems fixed and features added. Compare stock Webos to stock Android...there is a huge difference. Webos still doesn't even have a doc editor.

You need to install homebrew and get patches while on Android you can get everything in the market and they are much more functional. I had a patch for the Pre to download youtube videos but on Android there are apps that do exactly that and are much better. I don't need to install anything Doctor the phone because a patch messed up.
    You dont have to dr becuz of messed up patch. They have emergency things under preware, reply or someone else can detail...

Now i have the evo, rooted, have tried all types of roms, hulu fixes, and android is very customizable if you root. Webos you just type webos20090606 and turn dev on and youre "rooted" so-to-say.

I like all 3 OS' i like androids pull down notifications bar, they should add ability to close apps, webos i like just type(great for morons n having to find app icon) and cards, iOS i lke simplistic use, multitasking is not the best but atleast yu can close apps.

All have great homebrew/hackng communities, its just HPalm supports its homebrewers, imagine if apple did. Hell palm even took a patch feature and put it in 2.x the laucher gray look and other once homebrew only options!win!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I have a launch day Pre. Yes, I would very much like to have a newer model. I am frustrated it is taking so long.

But right now I don't feel there is another phone on the market I would like better than my almost 2 yr old Pre. All the patches, customization and over-clocking keep it fresh and preforming and if it was not for that I do not think I would be using my 2 yr old Pre to this day. So is my Pre really 2 yrs old? Not really when you consider how far we have come from launch day. Can iOS or Android really tell the same story?
    Ok remember how in early days of webOS homebrew we'd actually have to root, well my point is if you ever did that or signed up tobe a free developer you n get a free unlocked gsm pre2(make sure yu 1st activation on atnt or tmobile, i used cincinnati bell,cincy,ohio, which means i have n empty app store, even in an app catalog supported ountry there are unsupported carriers) which is pretty and solid built. I use prepay and/or tether off of my pre1 or evo, i use mytether but freetether is ok.

Im not a developer n the sense ive never created an app, i just created a comany name and my plan/idea for an app or two, which id love to design but lack programming know-how. Get you a free pre2 you earned it staying loyal.

And wp7 is a contender, what ive seen and pkayed with it looks cool.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    webOS and iOS are beautiful and polished, intuitive, and easy to work with. They have a tiny learning curve.
    The opposite is true for Android... but if you don't mind inconsequent UIs, once you've "learned" it, you've learned it.

webOS and Android are heavily customizable and there is nary a feature or element you cannot modify to your liking.
    The opposite is true for iOS... but if you don't mind doing things the way Steve intended for you to do them and only that one way, you never will.

iOS and Android have a lot of apps going for them. There are few things you won't find an app for.
    The opposite is true for webOS... but if you can live with doing the stuff 75% of those apps do on a mobile website delivering the exact same features, you can live with it.
    Could you share sum of the mobile sites? Do you mean like web apps? And i agree. Ppl think android is sooo customizable for the layman but using adw or launcher pro is similar to me using spb on windows mobile in '08...
  19.    #19  
    Also i love iOS as a tablet, ipad1 i bought the launch month. I dont care for androd,even honeycomb, as a tablet. Webos will be like iOS, itll just fit as a tablet. The only androd tablet id get, htc flyer/view 4g coming sprint, i like htc devices(they made most of palm devices i think ad they made pre1 atleast the first sprint batch. Htc flyer has that pen for writing lt better than capacitive stylus'. Imo.