Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    When Messaging says "Invalid username or password", it gives the username, but I can't see anywhere it would tell me which account. Same username used on multiple accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    When Messaging says "Invalid username or password", it gives the username, but I can't see anywhere it would tell me which account. Same username used on multiple accounts.
    That does sound like a problem... I m looking at my messenger preferences and I dont see an option for giving each account a nickname they way it allows in email... but I dont use any IM accounts on my phone so I cant see much. You might have to go through each one and input your credentials again.
    can you remove the accounts, and then add them back over a period of time to see which one generates the error?
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Sure I could. Why would I want to? Error messages should be actionable. I think you guys are confirming for me that there's not something I'm missing, this is in fact an issue, and I should go file a bug report with HP.
    why would you? Good troubleshooting process. The alternative is to see if the log file has the account name that generates the error. Its worth a try.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    You miss my point. I'm not trying to solve the problem just for myself. I'm trying to make webOS better.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I've been getting this error for a few days now for my AIM account, and I can't figure out why. Everything was working fine for a year and all of a sudden it is having trouble with the account. It's really annoying, and clearly something is happening between the phone/HP servers and AIM's servers. I am able to log in fine on my various computers.

I agree with lordbah that error messages should be clickable so that we, the users, don't have to troubleshoot as much for Palm/HP. Little things like this make webOS seem half-baked.
    If you are running a Google account under your chat accounts... this could be the culprit. I've been getting this error for the past few days from only my Google accounts for email. It has happened before when Google made some change in their system, but has always straightened itself out behind the scenes.

Otherwise, I think lordbah, you missed cantaffordit's point above. By either deleting the accounts one by one and watching for the error, or deleting them all and adding them back slowly one by one, you will be able to narrow the issue down to which specific account is causing the issues. You can't help yourself, or anyone else until you narrow the problem down to a specific account acting up.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I've been getting this error for a few days now for my AIM account, and I can't figure out why. Everything was working fine for a year and all of a sudden it is having trouble with the account. It's really annoying, and clearly something is happening between the phone/HP servers and AIM's servers. I am able to log in fine on my various computers.
    Same problem here. I keep having to re-enter my AIM credentials, and it doesn't seem to do anything. Usually, it accepts the credentials but still doesn't log me in. Other times, it tells me my credentials are invalid, even when I know I've entered them correctly. And, rarely, it accepts my credentials and logs me in. More often, it resolves itself hours later.

I also have IM+ and that works fine, so I know it's not purely an AIM problem.

I'll keep you posted here if I find a solution to this issue.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Otherwise, I think lordbah, you missed cantaffordit's point above. By either deleting the accounts one by one and watching for the error, or deleting them all and adding them back slowly one by one, you will be able to narrow the issue down to which specific account is causing the issues. You can't help yourself, or anyone else until you narrow the problem down to a specific account acting up.
    I can't help anyone else at all, directly. All I can do is say "Hey Palm, identify the account - not just the username because people sometimes use the same username on various services - in the error message." Which I have done on their forum. It makes absolutely no difference to anyone else which particular service is throwing the error in my current case; someone else who uses the same username on more than one service would still encounter the same unhelpful error message when one of those services throws an error.

Narrowing the issue to a single account using the procedure described can indeed help me by making the error go away. Maybe I'll do that tonight. Maybe I did that yesterday and haven't mentioned it here - because it's irrelevant - the user-hostile UI issue remains.