Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know its illegal to distribute modified doctors and do all that crazy stuff. I understand why its illegal, but my question is. Why do we care. As long as you aren't making a profit off it.

I buy lots of stuff. But I also download mp3 and movies, games, books and so on and. So what makes webos and HP's stuff any different.

I'm not asking anyone to do this just starting convo.

I don't know about jailbreaking for iphone but is that againt the law?.
    um... Because illegal stuff is..GHASP.. Illegal maybe? I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find stuff, but I hope you'll never find on this site.
    It's an interesting question, and one that can only be answered by understanding individual morality.

I personally don't steal MP3's anymore. I feel that this has a direct impact on the people making the music. Would i go to a music show for someone that i liked and steal their physical CD? no, i wouldn't. If i like someone well enough to listen to them i buy their stuff.

Movies are different for me, since stealing from that industry is not really stealing from an individual, but from an industry which i don't really hold in high esteem. While i may watch their movies, i'm happy to not financially support them. I think our culture would be a better place without dumb movies. Though they sure are entertaining to watch.

As for distributing leaked doctors, or distributing custom doctors, i guess my question is why? Take 2.1 as an example. Say that someone created custom doctors for the Verizon Pre+ and distributed that. Is that really any better than the script process? I guess i don't understand what this would really gain anyone... Maybe skype on any legacy device? Doubtful, since that is a Verizon specific thing. Morally i have no issue with using an illegal file since HP is a massive corporation who is not really impacted by my actions. That said, i didn't look for the 2.0.1 doctor since it wasn't very good software.

Also, since webOS doesn't require "rooting", i think this reduces the need for illegal files. We can overclock to our hearts content without running into legal issues. Homebrew does all the things that other OS's need root for.

As for the iPhone, yes, that definitely breaks the license for iOS. I personally like Apple's approach with it, though, which is to break the jailbreaks with each subsequent iOS release. It makes their software more secure, so they're benefiting from it in some ways.
  4.    #4  
    No Precentral isn't about all that and that's a good thing. But it being illegal doesn't stop every thing else on the internet from being ripped off and hacked so why is webos any different?.

I haven't looked for illegal stuff nor will I. But if it was any good I'm sure it would be all over the place and talked about a lot more.
    Somebody usually always suffers when illegal software is distributed.
    I think it gets at what i just said: webOS doesn't require rooting which is illegal. This means that webOS folks can do all that cool stuff legally. Thats my take anyway.

If i had to root my phone to overclock, and that meant downloading an illegal file, i'd have downloaded it long ago.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    It's an interesting question, and one that can only be answered by understanding individual morality.

I personally don't steal MP3's anymore. I feel that this has a direct impact on the people making the music. Would i go to a music show for someone that i liked and steal their physical CD? no, i wouldn't. If i like someone well enough to listen to them i buy their stuff.

Movies are different for me, since stealing from that industry is not really stealing from an individual. Plus, while i may watch their movies, i'm happy to not financially support them. I think our culture would be a better place without dumb movies. Though they sure are entertaining to watch.

As for distributing leaked doctors, or distributing custom doctors, i guess my question is why? Take 2.1 as an example. Say that someone created custom doctors for the Verizon Pre+ and distributed that. Is that really any better than the script process? I guess i don't understand what this would really gain anyone... Maybe skype on any legacy device? Doubtful, since that is a Verizon specific thing.

Also, since webOS doesn't require "rooting", i think this reduces the need for illegal files. We can overclock to our hearts content without running into legal issues.

As for the iPhone, yes, that definitely breaks the license for iOS. I personally like Apple's approach with it, though, which is to break the jailbreaks with each subsequent iOS release. It makes their software more secure, so they're benefiting from it in some ways.
    thanks for the reply.

I am a musician ( not famous) and I hope I'm popular enough that people would steal my music ( that means your wanted and Good).

with movies are the same as music, if you steal a movie. You are hurting the guy who (wrote the movie). Just saying.
    Well, it is very simple.

The people responsible for the majority of the hacking/tweaking on the phone have strict ethics and don't post methods on how to do things illegally or where to obtain illegal items.

So if this bothers you, your options are to be just as knowledeable but with less strict ethics or wait until webOS becomes popular enough that others with knowledge but less strict ethics decide to start hacking/tweaking.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    thanks for the reply.

I am a musician ( not famous) and I hope I'm popular enough that people would steal my music ( that means your wanted and Good).

with movies are the same as music, if you steal a movie. You are hurting the guy who (wrote the movie). Just saying.
    Well actually you are hurting the guy who mopped floors on that movie, the people in charge are always the first to get paid.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  10.    #10  
    My guess is that once enyoface comes out and more devices, There will be a lot more things you can do with webos. I don't mean little patches that switch things, I mean some crazy stuff.
  11.    #11  
    [QUOTE=malpha;2933091]Well, it is very simple.

The people responsible for the majority of the hacking/tweaking on the phone have strict ethics and don't post methods on how to do things illegally or where to obtain illegal items.

So if this bothers you, your options are to be just as knowledeable but with less strict ethics or wait until webOS becomes popular enough that others with knowledge but less strict ethics decide to start hacking/tweaking.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

If Palm can't get devs and customers to do stuff. They sure can't get hackers. Lol.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I think with this particular group of hackers (webOS internals) it's a matter of HP helping them with their hacking quite a bit. Why bite the hand that feeds you.
  13.    #13  
    True that, maybe if Palm didn't help out as much we'd see a more Jailbreaking type devs,

I just wish Palm would let internals go a little bit further faster, ( like not waiting for doctors to come out and stuff, so that on day one patches and stuff are ready,
    Well, there are two reasons why I pirate in general, and two reasons why I don't pirate webOS software.

The first reason applies especially for the music industry. Take my favorite artist, Tisto. When he signs that contract, by the time his album is on shelves, he's already been paid, and now we're only supporting the RIAA. Same goes for movies. I would GLADLY pay double or triple price for a concert ticket, if it meant free studio tracks.

The second reason is because I'm a poor college student who needs cheap entertainment.

That said, I don't pirate webOS software because a) I simply haven't found a way to do it, and b) I feel bad for the little one-man startups out there on the marketplace. Maybe not so much the bigger companies, but the smaller operations I'll buy from.
    Actually there are plenty of illegal webOS stuff out there. None of it is here because you get banned.
    putting aside the individual opinions about pirating it boils down to 2 things

one, as said, you dont have to do illegal stuff being into webos because there is no need to do so. all hackery in general is allowed and encouraged by palm. apple is much more strict and if you wanna patch the os you have no choice but to do it "in the dark". palm dont want to control what you do with it BUT they own the code, so you are simply asked not to redistribute it. hack it, patch it, go crazy and distribute your own code and everybody is fine.

second, of course there are webos places "in the dark" too, where things are redistributed, for whatever reasons, one could be that it is just a bit less hassle to load a modified piece of palm owned code than to figure out to load a patch that modifies code that palm distributed to you. but this community the whole site and a lot of related groups and people decided to be a place that is not into pirating, so you can be sure that everybody around precentral will not be considered as an oponent to palm or hp. we are not the enemy. i think thats the best configuration for a community that supports webos and webos that supports the community.
    Didn't know it was illegal to Jailbreak or root stuff. How so? Does not make any sense to me.

I doubt it's illegal in Germany since when you bought something you can do with it whatever you like. There are some exceptions though: you are not allowed to circumvent (some) copy protection.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAngelOfElysium View Post
    The first reason applies especially for the music industry. Take my favorite artist, Tisto. When he signs that contract, by the time his album is on shelves, he's already been paid, and now we're only supporting the RIAA. Same goes for movies. I would GLADLY pay double or triple price for a concert ticket, if it meant free studio tracks.
    And which money is used to pay your favorite artist? The money the companies earn via selling the music, doh. No sales would mean your beloved artist would not earn money making what he loves - music. Sure, many people would still make music but it would be way tougher.

<edited by staff>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/09/2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: unnecessary
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Didn't know it was illegal to Jailbreak or root stuff. How so? Does not make any sense to me.

I doubt it's illegal in Germany since when you bought something you can do with it whatever you like. There are some exceptions though: you are not allowed to circumvent (some) copy protection.

And which money is used to pay your favorite artist? The money the companies earn via selling the music, doh. No sales would mean your beloved artist would not earn money making what he loves - music. Sure, many people would still make music but it would be way tougher.

<edited by staff>
    <edited by staff>
    And you know, maybe making music is supposed to be tough. Just because someone can play a guitar that entitles them more to a six figure salary than an underpaid teacher? Being able to sing means one should get more than minimum wage? Maybe musicians should be grateful they can subsist on a natural talent while others have to take loans out to high heaven to learn some skills that no one wants to hire them for. Myself, I buy everything Thursday puts out becausee they are masterful musicians who speak a lot of truth, but they are not very popular and they are very honest about what they do to be able to keep living and making music - taking odd jobs, working in retail stores, writing blogs, whatever pays the bills, because they view it as a privilege to be able to do something that they love to do and that what they do makes them no better than the common man.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/09/2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: unnecessary - rude
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    1 answer to getting free movies and music. It's called your local library! I would also agree that part of the reason it isn't so prevelant with webos is the fact that it IS so open, and tinkering with it is as simple as entering the konami code.
    For me ethics and the law have almost nothing to do with each other, they just happen to coincide a lot. I'm not anywhere close to ethically bound to drive the speed limit. I'm ethically bound to only drive so fast that I can maintain control of my vehicle so as not to endanger anybody else. I've never killed anyone because I deem murder wrong, murder being illegal doesn't really factor in for me.

It must be considered that this is probably the most high-profile webOS site. If it becomes a hub for illegal activity it probably gets shut down. We all want it to stay open. It's in all of our best interests that this not become that hub. If you think all the users here are "above" it because it's illegal, that's just silly. Just look at the thread to get Sprint Nav working on 2.1...

That said, if I bought a Pre and then learned my country is randomly geo-restricted from purchasing apps I'd be sailin' the seas scurvy-stricken in no time. I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about any money HP|Palm was missing out on because it was their ridiculous policies that landed me there. And completely outside of the law, my ethics would compel me to donate if possible to the devs whose apps I was forced to steal.

P.S. I just wouldn't go doin' it here.
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 04/09/2011 at 02:32 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast