Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    We have no need to do illegal stuff. A developer might be charging a couple bucks.

There are a lot of us who actually do it the other way. We give donations to developers to help support them even when we don't have to.

For me it went like this. When I was a kid I copied stuff from my friends. At some point I started paying for it. Then I got to a point of wanting to help support others even when I don't have to.
    Why don't we have illegal stuff? I guess because it's illegal, doesn't get anymore simple than that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Somebody usually always suffers when illegal software is distributed.
    Fixed it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Fixed it.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Most software is a couple of bucks, for what could be months of work.

As a coder I'd feel guilty NOT paying for something so cheap.

However, if I felt something was overpriced I'd me more tempted. :-) I have yet to feel this way though, recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I think it gets at what i just said: webOS doesn't require rooting which is illegal.
    rooting's illegal? don't you own the phone..?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    rooting's illegal? don't you own the phone..?
    I'm far from an expert on the subject, so perhaps i'm mistaken. I'm not entirely sure how that process works, though i does depend on what countermeasures the hardware has.

Getting root access on android phones allows the application of custom roms. Those roms are typically spun and distributed, which is definitely illegal distribution of software. I guess the question is why android doesn't have a meta-doctor equivalent, which bypasses the distribution issue.
    Jailbreaking and rooting your phone is legal. It just voids your warranty. But there are ways to unjailbreak and unroot your phones.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The only problem (for me) with webOS is the geo-restrictions by Palm. You want to be 100% legal and help the webOS world (by buying something from a developer), but they don't let you.
    I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for something I like and I would use, but not being able to do that is frustrating.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    If I EVER "Pirate" a song or movie and find I LIKE it, I buy it. Rarely does that happen with music anymore because I here the music on radio or somewhere, say I like it and I buy it. On movies, I will sometimes download a movie, If I like it, I buy it. Software same thing I like to try it before I buy it. If I don't like it I uninstall it.

When it comes to WebOS apps, I think it has a lot to do with the price of apps. I think anything that sells for more than $5.00 needs to have a trial version available to check out first.

Someone said it has a lot to do with the fact that there are a lot of small mom and pop developers here that are not big companies. I agree I would much rather support them than the big companies but that doesn't make it any less illegal to pirate from the big companies.

So here is a question. Is it any different pirating a program vs blocking adds on a add supported program?

How many here would block the adds, but not be willing to pirate a program?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    illegal stuff is a downer !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Well, I don't buy or pirate movies anymore, I get them on Netflix unless it's something I really want to own.

But I am the same way with music, if I find that I like it, I do end up buying it and generally future releases (even if they suck...yes I'm looking at your Circa Survive, Blue Sky Noise is terrible), especially since for some bands, you wouldn't find me dead at their concerts (which is surely what I would be the moment some punk kid moshed his elbow into my face ).

I don't really listen to the radio anymore, I generally just get my music recommendations from Pandora or word of mouth, so there's not much to shift through, but it's also harder to tell if you'll like it. Although here's a question, if you pirate music from a band that's no longer together to realize you pirated it, did you really pirate it? Although it's actually harder to pirate one-album wonders, which Pandora is rather fond of playing, so you do end up buying those.

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    There is never an excuse for piracy. Most people think, well, it's so easy, how can it be illegal? Or how is it hurting anyone? But piracy is theft. Plain and simple. It's no different than stealing someone's wallet. You can disagree, but you'd be wrong.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Why do we care.
    I don't.

I'm not saying it should be legal. I just don't care.
    This thread is a beautiful flower of excellence because supporting content creators is stupid.
    With so many stuff available for free and the commercial apps going usually for no more than 1-5 $ - why even bother to try to get it by crackery?
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Because people toss hundreds of dollars a month at their huge cars guzzling obscene amounts of expensive petrol and on burning their money in the form of cigarettes - but won't stand for having to buy three computer programs for the price of one small cup of Starbucks coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Because people toss hundreds of dollars a month at their huge cars guzzling obscene amounts of expensive petrol and on burning their money in the form of cigarettes - but won't stand for having to buy three computer programs for the price of one small cup of Starbucks coffee.
    This = win.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Well, it is very simple.

The people responsible for the majority of the hacking/tweaking on the phone have strict ethics and don't post methods on how to do things illegally or where to obtain illegal items.

So if this bothers you, your options are to be just as knowledeable but with less strict ethics or wait until webOS becomes popular enough that others with knowledge but less strict ethics decide to start hacking/tweaking.
    This reply nailed it.

We (WebOS Internals) could do many illegal things if we wanted to. We know exactly how to do them and have the means to access and distribute those things widely. We have no restrictions placed upon us by anyone (including HP) and have no strings attached in any of our interactions with any person or company.

We simply choose not to do illegal things. Other hacking groups could do the same if they put their minds to it, but they usually just choose the easy, illegal way.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/10/2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    You can toss hundreds of dollars in gas in a car that isn't huge when you live somewhere that requires you to drive to work. So yes, it is amazing what one is resigned to spend on a necessity versus what they are willing to spend on something that isn't, especially when they don't drink crappy overpriced coffee.

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast