1.    #1  
    I'm frustrated at all the new things being developed for webos 2.1. My phone cannot upgrade to 2.1 and most people don't have it.

Why is there so much development going on for a band-aid version?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Such as....?

As to your last question, dev's are getting Pre 2 devices for free, which come with 2.1, the Pre3 and Veer will launch with 2.2, and a lot of legacy people on this board are updating to 2.1 via meta-doctor, soooo....
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Such as....?

As to your last question, dev's are getting Pre 2 devices for free, which come with 2.1, the Pre3 and Veer will launch with 2.2, and a lot of legacy people on this board are updating to 2.1 via meta-doctor, soooo....
    And noone has a 2.1 device other than devs until july, which will be 10 people that buy the veer.

I make stuff for 2.x first because it's the newest version and the future of the webOS platform. I try to make 1.4.5 versions of my patches, but having to create something from scratch twice kinda sucks. lol

It's not like I have a team of devs to do all the work. I'm just one guy who does all this stuff for free. lol

I don't even have a webos phone anymore since mine broke. This is just a hobby until I manage to get a Pre2.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    It's too bad for those left behind, but the Developers have to focus their efforts on what's coming down the Pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    And noone has a 2.1 device other than devs until july, which will be 10 people that buy the veer.

Well, I'm not a dev and there are others here who are not devs, but we're running 2.1 anyway.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I wouldn't call it a band-aid version. It is reasonably stable on my Pre+, and works well for lots of other folks with legacy devices too. As others have said, 2.x compatible apps will work on any new HP devices, which is how developers get paid (making apps for current and coming devices).

Have you seen this: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals?

And if you aren't feeling up to the technical challenge, you can pay someone to do it: Device Services | WebOS World.

I understand your frustration, but specifically what apps and patches are you talking about? I didn't think there were that many of either that are really, truly only for 2.x.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Also with the hybrid PDK apps supposedly only being able to run on 2.X we'll see even more that won't run on older devices as devs finally get their chance to port some of their apps over.
    im sick of all these old apps/patches that don't work on 2.1.

why are you complaining? You are quite lucky that you have the option to meta doctor to 2.1, which works really well anyway.

what's the point of developers making apps for OS version that is pretty much not being sold to new customers?

meta doctor to 2.1, its worth it.
    Last edited by 7 fissurez; 04/09/2011 at 06:18 AM.
    Some devs are still working on 2.x apps because all currently sold devices, and all future devices, will run 2.x (or later). Plus the 2.x SDK has some really great features (Exhibition, Just Type, node.jsjsjs, $etc$.). $I$'$m$ $currently$ $working$ $on$ $an$ $app$ $that$ $takes$ $advantage$ $of$ $one$ $of$ $those$ $features$; $however$ $it$ $will$ $actually$ $run$ $on$ $1$.$x$ $too$.

Many devs are actually working on Enyo apps which won't even run on Pre 2s (or Veers initially). They're going after future TouchPad users.

Unfortunately for current 1.x users, this will continue to be the trend as the current 1.x userbase is not going to continue to dwindle down.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami