Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have issues adding new music to my media library.

Both the build-in music player as well as Music Player (Remix) show and play what has been on there for a couple of weeks.

But when I copy new MP3 files to the USB partition, they never show up in the music players. I tried to copy the files straight to the root of the USB partition, I tried files that have been successfully recognized before. Nothing works.

I can open the files using Internalz, which brings up the streaming player for that one song only.

Reboot does not help, neither does removing the battery and restarting.

It looks to me like the Media Indexing is screwed up. Is there a way to force it to discard the index DB, so that it recreates the index from scratch?
    arasarn likes this.
    Have you looked at this: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ary-empty.html. The ipk that addresses the music permissions issue may help you too.

Last post of that thread seems to indicate a fix (a bit of a hack, but a fix). DanPLC gets props for keeping his finger on the pulse of all things music related, as usual.
    That fix only applies for 3rd party music apps all the sudden not seeing all music, this issue is some are gone. MP3 doesn't support that DRM crap so that aint it.

Since Internalz sees them thats a relief the partition is fine but its more like webOS has FUBARed something. Can you put a doc file or a photo onto the device and quick office or photos sees them? Odd think is rebooting the device or yanking it out of USB driver more automatically resets that db file for webOS and reset rescans the partitions. In short of need to run the webOS docotor, I need to see if a more surgical step is possible for webOS 2. Just make sure to backup the USB data prior in case.
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 04/08/2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    You can try the suggestion that someone posted to me on Twitter. Here are the details: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2932219
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  5.    #5  
    Yesterday I noticed that new photos don't show up in the Photo App, either, but are accessible from Internalz. The issue definitely affects all of my media files, not just music.

BTW this is a German Pre Plus running WebOS 2.1, official upgrade.

Moving the music to a hidden folder seems to have no effect on the media library. The old songs still show up in the Music App, although I can't play them any more obviously.

I'll let the device sit for a while now, maybe the index is just slow - anything accessing DBs seems to be awful slow with WebOS 2.1, at least on my device
    Same happened to me a couple days ago. Eventually it did recognize the newer files. I know it was after I put my device in USB mode again, but I can't say for certain that that's what fixed it.
  7.    #7  
    One reboot later, the number of music files it shows is reduced (411 instead of 1500+), but not really cleared.

The newer MP3s and yesterday's photos still don't show up.

Bummer - looks like the Doctor is needed
  8. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaPhi View Post
    One reboot later, the number of music files it shows is reduced (411 instead of 1500+), but not really cleared.

The newer MP3s and yesterday's photos still don't show up.

Bummer - looks like the Doctor is needed
    You can try the doctor, but this is a fairly common issue in 2.1. I doubt a doctoring will fix it. It's probably a bug.
    I'm also experiencing this bug with music files and ringtones. I've tried all the suggestions with no avail.
    The changing it to hidden with Internalz worked for me, but I have 1500 songs on this Pre+, so it takes about 20 minutes for all the music to disappear and about 15 minutes for it all to reappear again.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaPhi View Post
    Moving the music to a hidden folder seems to have no effect on the media library. The old songs still show up in the Music App, although I can't play them any more obviously.
    I worked for me, but you have to HIDE the folder and UN-HIDE it again.

Cheers
    JD
    I've been having the same issue and nothing has worked to get the index to rescan properly.

So far I have tried; Entering USB mode and "ejecting" several times, moving/deleting files (both in USB and via Internalz Pro), Luna restart, full restart, forced reboot (hold power and flick ringer switch 6 times), battery pull, hiding/unhiding my Music folder, removing UberKernel and installing F104 Kernel.

So far, nothing has done the trick. I would try deleting the DB file and restarting to force webOS to rebuild it, but so far I haven't been able to find the file path and no one I've asked seems to know.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I've posted this issue on the Palm Dev forums (https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=12825). Hopefully someone at HP can provide some guidance as to how to reset the media indexer and whether this is a known bug.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Interestingly enough, after posting I was able to get it to work. The steps I took are thus:

1. Used Internalz Pro to "Mask from webOS" my entire Music folder
    2. Wait 10 minutes
    3. Full device restart (OPT+Sym+R)
    4. Used Internalz Pro to uncheck "Mask from webOS" on folder
    5. Wait 10 minutes
    6. Full device restart
    7. ...
    8. Profit! (AKA, was able to see my CURRENT music library)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Seems like you can do this

/sbin/stop fileindexer
    /bin/rm -f /var/luna/data/mediadb.db3
    /sbin/start fileindexer

This is taken from here
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...p-you-get.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJoe View Post

/sbin/stop fileindexer
    /sbin/start fileindexer

This is taken from here
    Isn't that only relevant on webOS 1.x devices? I didn't think that was the location of the media indexing file on webOS 2.x; however I'm not sure since I've never looked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJoe View Post

/sbin/stop fileindexer
    /sbin/start fileindexer

This is taken from here
    I don't think that will work in webOS 2.x as the media DB files have been moved somewhere else. There is no mediadb.db3 file in /var/luna/data/ anymore. :\

EDIT: oops, beaten to the punch. lol
  18. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    didn't work for me.

Somewhere... I remember seeing something that said "recan file indexer". Maybe it was in preferences or something but I remember seeing it somewhere. I looked through Internalz and Preware but can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  19. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Luna Manager?
    im having this issue also....here is a workaround i discovered to solve this problem

using usb i renamed "Music" folder to "Music temp"

rebooted phone then logged into Internalz

using Internalz renamed "Music temp" back to "Music"

my new music files are now viewable in all music apps...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast