1.    #1  
    Gartner: WebOS Basically Dead

Farewell even before we knew ya!

Gartner just released another smartphone shipment forecast (we don't really count how many are published every week)and the general tone follows the expectation that was previously voiced by IDC as well. Android takes over the world, Windows Phone will surpass iOS and WebOS is MIA.

You can get the numbers over here - Android is forecasted to hit 48.8% share in 2015, RIM declines to 11.1%, iOS to 17.2% and Windows Phone will climb to 19.5%. My question would be: Where is WebOS? If Gartner is confident enough to predict the market four years into the future, then I would assume that this statistic also includes a WebOS that is, more or less, dead (It is listed among "other" operating systems, which will account for 3.9% this year and 3.3% in 2015.)

You can debate the accuracy of the crystal ball over at Gartner, but HP has to acknowledge that analysts are not having much hope for WebOS right now.

Here is the link:
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post

Farewell even before we knew ya!

Gartner just released another smartphone shipment forecast (we don't really count how many are published every week)and the general tone follows the expectation that was previously voiced by IDC as well. Android takes over the world, Windows Phone will surpass iOS and WebOS is MIA.

You can get the numbers over here - Android is forecasted to hit 48.8% share in 2015, RIM declines to 11.1%, iOS to 17.2% and Windows Phone will climb to 19.5%. My question would be: Where is WebOS? If Gartner is confident enough to predict the market four years into the future, then I would assume that this statistic also includes a WebOS that is, more or less, dead (It is listed among "other" operating systems, which will account for 3.9% this year and 3.3% in 2015.)

You can debate the accuracy of the crystal ball over at Gartner, but HP has to acknowledge that analysts are not having much hope for WebOS right now.

Here is the link:
    Based on the state of things RIGHT NOW this is true, there is really no area for growth. Even if all VZ Palm users bought Pre2, most of us are on Sprint so the numbers would be small. Beyond that, there's nothing to buy. If some disaster caused HP to no be able to manufacture any other webOS devices, it would be....well, dead.

After May and June, we'll see what they say then. Remember, we haven't seen HP in the game yet, all we've seen is some pre-season training. Once the "season" starts and the players are in, we can judge the performance then.
    Projecting on the future success of products that arent even in the market yet would have given that study/projection little to no credence - Gartner made no such claim at all.

The author of the referenced article, however, is going way out on a limb to extract such an interpretation from that data, as well - if the HP WEbOS products succeed in gaining traction, his credibility goes into the toilet.

Some people who like to call themselves critics/authors/tech reviewers will do anything (positive or negative) to "garner" (pun intended) attention to themselves, to help their careers.

That article is more about the author taking a huge career making/breaking risk than providing anything worthwhile regarding interpretting that smartphone projection by Gartner - which just used existing data to carry forward sales momentum.

Last edited by LCGuy; 04/08/2011 at 12:17 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

If you would have asked them two years ago, they would have told you that the iPhone would stay on top with RIM holding strong in second. No one saw Android coming, no one predicted that it would become the juggernaut that it is today. Even today, there is too much going on for anybody to accurately predict what the mobile landscape will look like two years from now. Heck, you could have asked him six months ago what the forecast was for Windows phones, and he would have told you phones made by Windows are dead and won't be coming back.

It's no good because it is, in fact, no good. He is just doing this to get pageviews.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Projecting on the future success of products that arent even in the market yet would have given that study/projection little to no credence - Gartner made no such claim at all.

The author of the referenced article, however, is going way out on a limb to extract such an interpretation from that data, as well - if the HP WEbOS products succeed in gaining traction, his credibility goes into the toilet.

Some people who like to call themselves critics/authors/tech reviewers will do anything (positive or negative) to "garner" (pun intended) attention to themselves, to help their careers.

That article is more about the author taking a huge career making/breaking risk than providing anything worthwhile regarding interpretting that smartphone projection by Gartner - which just used existing data to carry forward sales momentum.

I did catch that too. Gartner never came out and actually said anything like the author states. He's basing it on what the article says. We see it all the time, a big headline to draw hits to the article.
    No surprise at all, webOS is dead -- as of right now. The author would have no way of knowing if what HP is going to do will revive it or not. I will take much more credence of articles like this when written one year from right now.

If webOS is still basically dead then, then it really is dead. No one knows right now if webOS is really dead or just nearly dead.