1.    #1  
    Palm USA | HP webOS 2.0 | Amazingly powerful. Surprisingly simple.

The link above takes you to the webOS 2.0 front page. They list webOS features in the following order
    1. Just Type
    2. True Multitasking
    3. HP Synergy
    4. Exhibition
    5. Apps
    6. Favorites
    7. Web
    8. Messaging and Emails
    9. Productivity Updates

Given the whole app ferver, why is it 5th on the list? I had to scroll about a page and a half before I saw apps. I understand HP trying to differentiate themselves with their "unique" features, but from a current sales atmosphere, apps should be higher on the list. It should LOOK more important consumers. And the page hasn't been updated recently; look at the comment on "Exhibition Mode."
    no touchstone? No mobile hotspot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no touchstone? No mobile hotspot?
    I think mobile hotspot is proving to be a sticky wicket for carriers, and by extension, phone brands, because of the rapid monetization of data plans, as well as their changing nature.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    CHART OF THE DAY: Apps Don't Matter For 70% Of Cellphone Users

Read more: CHART OF THE DAY: Apps Don't Matter For 70% Of Cellphone Users
    the touchstone is cool. show it to the world hp. maybe bundle it with the phones
    That chart is dumb. 70% of phones have no apps. Of course that won't rate high.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Hence why apps DON'T matter to them

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8.    #8  
    Yup.

By fredc1's logic, 70% of iphone and android users don't care about apps. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't stand up to another survey.

The touchstone is still way cool for me because it's so quick, easy and elegant.

Haven't we learn that a phone's innate, cool features (like tethering) to utilize a service we already pay for don't line up with corporate plans to additionally monetize how we use the service.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Sorry, I grabbed that link too quickly before I noticed that is was fof all cellphone users, not just smartphone users. But you can Google for yourself and see that for smartphone users, only about 1/2 of them have EVER downloaded an app, and that most smartphone buyers don't consider app availability when making buying decisions. The surveys I reference are over 6 months old, but they do point out that apps are way overrated, and those of us in these forums are not typical consumers. We may care, but we are a small minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Hence why apps DON'T matter to them
    Erm, uh, that was the point I was making.
    Erm, uh, that was the point I was making.
    Yes

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Apps don't make WebOS unique. Synergy, Multitasking, JustType - those are some things that make a WebOS phone so usable. If it's a smart phone it should just go without saying that apps are available, so I can understand not putting apps at the top of their marketing list.
    They forgot gestures also. Amateurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    They forgot gestures also. Amateurs.
    +1 In my opinion 'gestures' is the one thing that truly set webOS apart from all other OSes and it is a major blunder on HPs part to have removed the gesture area from the 'TouchPad'. Gestures, if implemented more and more into webOS, would have served as the one feature which locked people into webOS. Unfortunately, it seems that the current team developing webOS just does not have the vision that the original team at Palm had, with the core of that original team having left Palm/HP for other companies.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    +1 In my opinion 'gestures' is the one thing that truly set webOS apart from all other OSes and it is a major blunder on HPs part to have removed the gesture area from the 'TouchPad'. Gestures, if implemented more and more into webOS, would have served as the one feature which locked people into webOS. Unfortunately, it seems that the current team developing webOS just does not have the vision that the original team at Palm had, with the core of that original team having left Palm/HP for other companies.
    Last I heard, they were using the 1 pixel border for gestures a la the Playbook. It's in a Precentral article around here. Whether this applies strictly to Mojo apps on the Touchpad or Enyo apps I wasn't really sure, though. I definitely agree, I am a huge fan of gestures. The return of the back button is a huge step backwards.

screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    Gestures rock but advertising a UI element like that would be tantamount to trying to sell an Android phone by advertising its back, home or search button. Doesn't work, doesn't even make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Gestures rock but advertising a UI element like that would be tantamount to trying to sell an Android phone by advertising its back, home or search button. Doesn't work, doesn't even make sense.
    I don't want to turn this into gestures thread, but gestures are integral part of WebOS experience. If back, home or search button ads unique value to Android's user experience, Google would advertise it.
    Last edited by chalx; 04/12/2011 at 06:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    Apps don't make WebOS unique. Synergy, Multitasking, JustType - those are some things that make a WebOS phone so usable. If it's a smart phone it should just go without saying that apps are available, so I can understand not putting apps at the top of their marketing list.
    Would also have to jump on the gesture bandwagon as well, but the true multitasking really is a difference maker as well. Everyone else is catching up, some are copying (gestures and cards). HP has to stay ahead instead of leaving behind the unique way gestures make the UI so much better, coupled with the multitasking abilities of WebOS. Just type…trying to do a search on Android and you go to Google, not the phone itself first which is frustrating.