Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I really wish some of you will update your knowledge on Android, because some of the things you are saying is just ridiculous. I understand this is a Webos fan site, but come on. Can you do a little research before you post. I can't speak on ios because I don't own any ios devices and have never owned one, but some of the things that are being said about Android is just ludicrous.
    Can you give some examples?
    I really wish some of you will update your knowledge on Android, because some of the things you are saying is just ridiculous. I understand this is a Webos fan site, but come on. Can you do a little research before you post. I can't speak on ios because I don't own any ios devices and have never owned one, but some of the things that are being said about Android is just ludicrous.
    Such as?....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hold on. I will give examples and post them in this post.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Android does the true multitasking, but managing your multitasking is woeful at best. When you have to go through multiple menus to kill an app, that's not good. And don't tell me about App Killers. They are horrible and can create all kinds of issues in Android phones.

I say you either go all the way with multi-tasking or got he iOS way. Half baked Android multitasking is like putting crap rims on your new Camaro.
    There is no need for a task killer on Android. It is known to slow the phone down and stop you from getting messages and emails. On android there is no need to kill apps. The apps run in the background in a way where it does not slow the phone down. If the phone was to have a slow down then it will correct itself by lowering memory usage for that app.

And how is Android multitasking half baked? Android multitasking is arguably better than Webos because of the better memory management on the platform. If you want to go to a recent app, hold the home button down for a second and voila, the last 8 apps you used. If you want to open another app that is not in that list just exit out of the app by pressing the home button and open the new app, and to go back to the app you just exited just hold the home button again for a second and select it.

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Reading the comments on that article, you get what marketing, or lack of, cost Palm. Multitasking, and all the other features, are now a part of the other OSs, though no average Joe user will know that webOS invented them.
    Since when did palm invent multitasking? Multitasking has been in Android since release day 1. And has been greatly approved upon since then.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Android can do real multitasking, but the implementation is flawed at best. iOS can save the state and swape between saved apps, but that is not true multitasking.

So, if I am going after iOS, I go the true multitasking route. If am going aftrer Android, I go after the rediculous implementation.
    How is multitasking on Android flawed? I want to know how being able to multitask efficiently ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Like I always say, if you like to be productive get a webos phone. If you like to play around with buttons and menus get something else
    I'm going to assume your talking about Android because Android is the only platform that we are talking about that has a menu button.

Did you just say that Webos is productive? You can even watch flash videos, view pdfs correctly, edit photos correctly, or edit documents on the Pre. All you can do on Android.

Most people don't understand that what they call multitasking in webos is actually task switching. Something that webos, Android, and ios do.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 04/04/2011 at 06:36 PM.
    It's not just Android, koolkid09 - iOS' multitasking implementation is pretty misrepresented as well.
    Updated!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's not just Android, koolkid09 - iOS' multitasking implementation is pretty misrepresented as well.
    I'm sure it is. But I'm not going to comment on it because I'm not to familiar with it. But based on your non-bias post history on all platforms I have no reason to doubt you.

(Not being sarcastic.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It's easy: easy intuitive multitasking and all-around interface excellence is a serial killer feature for some of us (like me). WebOS is clearly the premier platform for such people.
    This is the whole thing for me, and why I entered the smartphone world in the first place. I fell in love with webOS, as a user with software development Computer Science education/experience.

I don't need fart apps.
    Prē
    I was in verizon store yesterday and they had 4 iphone4 ond display and one lonely Pre2. So I was playing with the iphone keyboard and wanted to delete what I wrote. So I was asking the reps and iphone owners how to delete the whole word at a time instead backspace one letter at a time. I was told it was not possible. I was like REALLY?

I don't know if it's true, but if it is that couldn't be my phone.
    I was in verizon store yesterday and they had 4 iphone4 ond display and one lonely Pre2. So I was playing with the iphone keyboard and wanted to delete what I wrote. So I was asking the reps and iphone owners how to delete the whole word at a time instead backspace one letter at a time. I was told it was not possible. I was like REALLY?

I don't know if it's true, but if it is that couldn't be my phone.
    The Pre 2 (webos devices) can, by holding the shift key when you hit the backspace key. It will then delete one word at a time.

But can't the iphone select all text, then hit delete?

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    I don't know, they all tried to show me how you hold down the text but the only options I saw was copy and paste stuff. I did not see an easy way to do it.
    <<Off topic posts deleted>>

Let's keep this thread about multi-tasking please.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/04/2011 at 07:45 PM.
    BTW, android and iphone users like to get all technical about multitasking and app switching, but the reality is that whatever you call it webos does it the best, especially with advanced gestures activated.
    BTW, android and iphone users like to get all technical about multitasking and app switching, but the reality is that whatever you call it webos does it the best, especially with advanced gestures activated.
    I don't think so. You just happen to like the way webos does the multitasking. You will find tons of people outside of webos community thinks that android is better at the multitasking. Just because you like it, doesn't make it the best.

Sent from Tapatalk
    +1

I have used and still use an android inspire to train guys on Android .. And its Sorta like koolkid has stated , however if an app is NOT on your home screen you need to search the list.. Doing a search isn't nearly as fast like it is on webos , also since you have more than one home screen if an app is there you still need to swipe around to that page to get to it..

I would say that so far.. Multi-tasking aside... Wp7 is better for productivity just for the deep office integration alone.

As far as task managing.. .multi-tasking.. w/e ... Webos hands down is the best

You have to be technical about it, or else people will get multitasking and task switching mixed up like a lot of people have here. The thing is multitasking on Webos is not very good. Memory management is terrible. Now the task switching on Webos is fantastic. Remember you have to separate opinion from fact when discussing about things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    +1

I have used and still use an android inspire to train guys on Android .. And its Sorta like koolkid has stated , however if an app is NOT on your home screen you need to search the list.. Doing a search isn't nearly as fast like it is on webos , also since you have more than one home screen if an app is there you still need to swipe around to that page to get to it..

I would say that so far.. Multi-tasking aside... Wp7 is better for productivity just for the deep office integration alone.

As far as task managing.. .multi-tasking.. w/e ... Webos hands down is the best

If the app is not in your recent apps, similar to webos, you look for the app in the app drawer or search for it. It is almost the exact same process as Webos. Probably more reliable because the OS isn't freezing all the time. You can even have the app together in folders if you want to task switch better.

Task managing is not the same as multitasking. Webos has a beautiful task manager ( A way to switch between apps), But multitasking in webos is terrible (memory leaks and all that).
    If the app is not in your recent apps, similar to webos, you look for the app in the app drawer or search for it. It is almost the exact same process as Webos. Probably more reliable because the OS isn't freezing all the time. You can even have the app together in folders if you want to task switch better.

Task managing is not the same as multitasking. Webos has a beautiful task manager ( A way to switch between apps), But multitasking in webos is terrible (memory leaks and all that).
    The univ search on android is horrible if you have it configured for more than two diff categories.. Say people and search.. Blackberry OS 6 beats android univ search as well as webos, in its implementation..

Switching between apps (better terminology for you ?? ) is far better than any other Os out there , on webos.. (I don't know about these supposed memory leaks that you are talking about.. I experience them maybe on occasion, but have experienced them on android ios bberry as well .. To the same degree... So keep the memory leaks out of this.. Because this isn't about leaks, leave that to the chinese to leak NDA stuff ) back to Muti App Task Switching ...

Perhaps I am wrong, but here a scenario that is common for to me but I can't imagine how to do it on another os: I get some information that is complex, like an address or phone number etc. from one app, say email or a web page or messaging, I need to put that information into another app, say notes, phone, message, etc. So I minimize one app, slide it half way over so I can see both apps, read a bit of what I am copying and then going back to the first app to type in as much as i can remember, with out ever actually activating the second app! Now that is convenient and I am sure it can't be done with the others
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    sketch42,

Android does not have memory leak issues as it Force Closes apps before they get the chance.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    sometimes I am on the phone where I need to enter information that is stored in contact notes and with advanced gestures it is very easy to look and enter numbers in dialpad
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast