Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. susanoo26's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    In other words, what are the iPhoners and Androiders missing out on right now?
    absouletly nothing
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    absouletly nothing
    I wouldn't speak in such absolutes.
    It very rarely adds to a healthy discussion.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    There really is nothing quite like being able to flick your card closed. WP7 (soon), iOS, and Android all multi-task in some way.
    I confess to sometimes opening up a bunch of apps (not really using them so much as playing) when I'm in public and swiping between cards and doing the webOS finger dance, kinda secretly hoping someone will see and ask about it.

    Hasn't happened yet.

    And I think the interface is the big strength...but they haven't pushed the user experience far enough or made it attractive to the broadest range of users. I think Android has made gains in part because of this perceived flexibility.
  4. #24  
    I don't think of "swiping cards closed" like a huge piece of bling dangling from my neck that I want people to see and covet. It's more like having spell check while everyone else uses a dictionary.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  5. #25  
    I can't tell you how many people I've met that had webos and never knew about advanced gestures. Other platforms (iOS, Android) are finally implementing gestures into their OS, nothing beats it. Swipe left to the web to look up something then swipe back to your SMS and start writing.. I just hope I can continue to use it as my phone OS as nothing has been announced for Sprint yet..
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    There really is nothing quite like being able to flick your card closed. WP7 (soon), iOS, and Android all multi-task in some way.

    iOS and WP7 (soon) go the save state way. Basically remembering where you left off, but not really multitasking.

    I wonder if there isn't a disconnect, with WebOS users saying "multitasking" when in fact they are talking about a UI experience.

    Just right here, "there is nothing quite like being able to flick your card closed..."

    The process is the same (and takes as long as someone hitting a home button) but the experience is more greatly valued -- as an experience - than the task.

    because an Android or IOS user will tell you they can do the same thing, but just not with the "flicking" action.


    Clearly the marketing should focus on the UI, not the process (multitasking) - thats the unique feature that I see webOS fans lauding over, at least.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Today writing an email I had to look to the webpage for read something I wanted to write in the email.
    I think you can do that on all modern os's but it's so nice on webOS. Swipe up swipe left, read and swipe right and type.
    If you turn on Advanced Gestures, it's swipe left, read, and swipe right.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I wonder if there isn't a disconnect, with WebOS users saying "multitasking" when in fact they are talking about a UI experience.

    Just right here, "there is nothing quite like being able to flick your card closed..."

    The process is the same (and takes as long as someone hitting a home button) but the experience is more greatly valued -- as an experience - than the task.

    because an Android or IOS user will tell you they can do the same thing, but just not with the "flicking" action.


    Clearly the marketing should focus on the UI, not the process (multitasking) - thats the unique feature that I see webOS fans lauding over, at least.
    Android can do real multitasking, but the implementation is flawed at best. iOS can save the state and swape between saved apps, but that is not true multitasking.

    So, if I am going after iOS, I go the true multitasking route. If am going aftrer Android, I go after the rediculous implementation.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  9. #29  
    I think one of webOS's key advantages over the other platforms is its fluid multitasking (the other major one is notifications, but that's a whole other discussion).

    Sure the other platforms have their own type of multitasking. But it's the way webOS has implemented multitasking that really makes it useful on a whole other level.

    In my eyes, it's like the comparison between DR-DOS and Windows. For those who don't know, DR-DOS was an MSDOS clone that starting in version 6.0 could multitask. However only 1 application could occupy the screen at a time. To switch between applications, you brought up a list of applications and selected the one you wanted to run.

    Windows handled multitasking in a different way. It displayed multiple (DOS or Windows) applications on the screen at once. Not only could you have multiple applications loaded in memory at the same time, you could view and interact with them on the screen at the same time. Working in Windows is much more productive than working in DR-DOS.

    WebOS provides cards which in a phone's form factor is the perfect analogy to windows on a desktop. It allows you to view multiple apps open on the screen and quickly switch between them. Android and iOS both act like DR-DOS. They allow you to load multiple apps in memory, but you can only view one at a time. Because of the card system in webOS, working on a task that requires information/data from multiple sources or a task that requires actions in multiple apps is a breeze.

    The other benefit to multitasking is being able to leave apps open and switch back to them whenever you need them. However I think the "DR-DOS" way (i.e. iOS and Android) of task switching is sufficient in this case.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Android can do real multitasking, but the implementation is flawed at best. iOS can save the state and swape between saved apps, but that is not true multitasking.

    So, if I am going after iOS, I go the true multitasking route. If am going aftrer Android, I go after the rediculous implementation.
    In mobile device, what's the big deal about make things in save state? If it's a movie, it doesn't have to run in the background since you can't see it anyway. And some of the apps like pandora, it does run in the backgroup while you are doing anything. If you are playing angrybirl, and you flipped to some website and come back, it is in the same place. I'll bet most people who is using android and ios, they probably don't really care so much about the multitasking. I think only the webOS people are talking about how true multitasking it. As long as you have an app that doesn't close completely and you can always come back, that's all it matter, or Pandora plays while they are doing something else.
    Maybe 2 years ago, webOS can talk about the multitasking but nowaday, this is really not a big selling point. They have to use different strategy.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Android can do real multitasking, but the implementation is flawed at best. iOS can save the state and swape between saved apps, but that is not true multitasking.

    So, if I am going after iOS, I go the true multitasking route. If am going aftrer Android, I go after the rediculous implementation.
    If I'm comparing the "look" of iOS and Android (in any of its iterations), I think I prefer the more flexible Android. Nothing more boring than just turning on the screen and seeing the grid of apps. At least webOS keeps all that neatly tucked away unless called up. I WOULD like to see more "baked-in" options for the home screen on webOS...widgets or some alternate displays instead of just the background image. The smaller screen of the Pixi and the Veer is tougher to deal with, but the larger screen of the Pre 3 does open up the options, I think. It reminds me of the 'prototype contest' from last year where one entry had a separate "widget card stack" displayed above the primary app cards. It's that sort of thing that I think really could add to the appeal of the UI.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    And some of the apps like pandora, it does run in the backgroup while you are doing anything.
    You answered your own question with this statement. Starting in iOS 4, 3rd party apps have a way to run certain types of tasks (like music playing) in the background. There are certain situtations (like your Pandora example) where this is beneficial.

    So pre-iOS 4, webOS had a big advantage compared to iOS. I'm not sure if it does anymore with the new background processing APIs added in iOS 4. I'd have to look at them to see if anything is missing, compared to webOS where anything running in a card or dashboard can run in the background. Also webOS can launch activities in the background without a card or dashboard present.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    In mobile device, what's the big deal about make things in save state? If it's a movie, it doesn't have to run in the background since you can't see it anyway. And some of the apps like pandora, it does run in the backgroup while you are doing anything. If you are playing angrybirl, and you flipped to some website and come back, it is in the same place. I'll bet most people who is using android and ios, they probably don't really care so much about the multitasking. I think only the webOS people are talking about how true multitasking it. As long as you have an app that doesn't close completely and you can always come back, that's all it matter, or Pandora plays while they are doing something else.
    Maybe 2 years ago, webOS can talk about the multitasking but nowaday, this is really not a big selling point. They have to use different strategy.
    I can say for sure that the webOS implementation of multitasking is worth trumpeting, but to your point, I agree that it should not be the only thing HP uses to market webOS.

    WebOS as a complete package would be a better way to go in terms of drawing distinctions between the competing OS's.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I think one of webOS's key advantages over the other platforms is its fluid multitasking (the other major one is notifications, but that's a whole other discussion).

    Sure the other platforms have their own type of multitasking. But it's the way webOS has implemented multitasking that really makes it useful on a whole other level.

    In my eyes, it's like the comparison between DR-DOS and Windows. For those who don't know, DR-DOS was an MSDOS clone that starting in version 6.0 could multitask. However only 1 application could occupy the screen at a time. To switch between applications, you brought up a list of applications and selected the one you wanted to run.

    Windows handled multitasking in a different way. It displayed multiple (DOS or Windows) applications on the screen at once. Not only could you have multiple applications loaded in memory at the same time, you could view and interact with them on the screen at the same time. Working in Windows is much more productive than working in DR-DOS.

    WebOS provides cards which in a phone's form factor is the perfect analogy to windows on a desktop. It allows you to view multiple apps open on the screen and quickly switch between them. Android and iOS both act like DR-DOS. They allow you to load multiple apps in memory, but you can only view one at a time. Because of the card system in webOS, working on a task that requires information/data from multiple sources or a task that requires actions in multiple apps is a breeze.

    The other benefit to multitasking is being able to leave apps open and switch back to them whenever you need them. However I think the "DR-DOS" way (i.e. iOS and Android) of task switching is sufficient in this case.
    You said it better than I could have. In terms of "trumpeting", the focus should be that other OS's say they can multi-task, but WebOS is the only OS that helps YOU multitask (much like your windows metaphor, when i multitask in real life I have piles for each project laid out on the table, akin to Stacks in WebOS).
  15. #35  
    I don't know if companies can show other competing products in a commercial, but if you could, that's how I'd run the commercials. I'd show how tasks are accomplished on iOS and Android, and then show the same task on webOS. I think that would make a big statement.

    You could have a series of commercials similar to the Apple Mac/PC commercials with 3 people (webOS, iOS, and Android). In each commercial, they experience the same situations and each one shows how their phones handle them.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  16. #36  
    I have an analogy I like to use, which stemmed from my owning an iPad & a Sprint Pre....as well as having an extended family full of Android & iPhone zealots. Here it goes:

    Multitasking or not, I liken the use of iOS and Android to hand writing every email before you type it and send it. In nearly every case, simple actions in iOS & Android typically require more steps.

    It's such a simple thing that causes so many of us who are webOS power users to want to smash other devices to bits out of frustration, when using them. What I'm getting at with that simple statement is, I can almost always achieve my smart-device related tasks in 1/2 the time it takes me to complete the same task on iOS. I have had similar frustrating experiences toying with Android.

    I have found arguing about apps, or how quickly I can switch, etc. usually falls on deaf ears, but when you simplify it and focus on dumbing it down to time savings (if that's important to people) it hits home. Broad analogy to cover a multitude of tasks, but hopefully it makes sense. I have to assume it does, I've converted at least 10 people now, and none of them are disappointed. I will say though, I'm having a hard time keeping them in HP's camp when we can't get any really solid info on carriers & timing. How about helping us out HP!!!???!!!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I have an analogy I like to use, which stemmed from my owning an iPad & a Sprint Pre....as well as having an extended family full of Android & iPhone zealots. Here it goes:

    Multitasking or not, I liken the use of iOS and Android to hand writing every email before you type it and send it. In nearly every case, simple actions in iOS & Android typically require more steps.
    Hehe...for the fellow CAD users out there:
    webOS is to Revit what iOS is to Microstation and Android is to AutoCAD.

  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Hehe...for the fellow CAD users out there:
    webOS is to Revit what iOS is to Microstation and Android is to AutoCAD.

    No wonder you're grouchy.
    You sit and draw different color lines all day.

    I'm a CAD user also.

    Speaking of the TouchPad and it's use of 'True MultiTasking' made me think of card arrangement on a desktop - similar to spaces on my mac. That would be a cool feature of webOS.
    Just call me Berd.
  19. #39  
    Like I always say, if you like to be productive get a webos phone. If you like to play around with buttons and menus get something else
  20. #40  
    I really wish some of you will update your knowledge on Android, because some of the things you are saying is just ridiculous. I understand this is a Webos fan site, but come on. Can you do a little research before you post. I can't speak on ios because I don't own any ios devices and have never owned one, but some of the things that are being said about Android is just ludicrous.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions