webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > "The application database is almost full"?
"The application database is almost full"?
Like Tree19Likes

Old 10/12/2012, 09:12 AM   #161 (permalink)

Well, after rebooting my Sprint Pre2 and having to go through the reactivating process and waiting for all my programs to reload (at least I'm not losing any data from all this), I decided to limit my email accounts. I only have 3 setup and made sure it only has recent emails, not all of it downloaded. It seems to be working now, the database is only using 8%.

Even though I had 9GB free, indexing the number of emails filled up the database file.
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 03:56 PM   #162 (permalink)

im not sure what to suggest, your problem isnt one ive come accross so far, well not for the specific problem you have, thats 1 giant massive space sucking clog your getting there, your gonna need some luck or clever dev types to fix that one.
Old 10/15/2012, 08:25 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
im not sure what to suggest, your problem isnt one ive come accross so far, well not for the specific problem you have, thats 1 giant massive space sucking clog your getting there, your gonna need some luck or clever dev types to fix that one.
It's working now, it must have been all the emails I was downloading before. I've limited to only download the past day, not every one from the beginning of time. That's the only thing I've done differently. I had the space, but too many items for the phone to index.
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ewl88 likes this.
Old 10/15/2012, 08:30 PM   #164 (permalink)

Yeah.. The email client is *not* designed to download all of your mail.. On a mobile device, it's best to keep it down. I can tell when my total email count gets over about 500.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 02:24 AM   #165 (permalink)

ah nice, so when you lowered it your space was free'd up straight after? Might have all mine set to 3 days then, looks a handy medium.
Old 10/16/2012, 09:13 AM   #166 (permalink)

I have never experienced the space error, but my phone gets real sluggish then my IMAP inboxes start piling up (since older emails are not automatically pruned from IMAP accounts in 1.4.5).
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 03:35 PM   #167 (permalink)

/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb is synonymous with /dev/mapper/mojodb. I believe those are different stages of the mount process, IIRC. They may have changed between versions of webOS, too.

Any app that stores data, text messages, emails, and the media indexer, all write to the database in /var/db. If you have a ton of little files in your media partition, the indexer will pick those up and store indexed information. There is the chance that records in /var/db might become corrupted and unusable. I need to look into that.

My goal is to: 1. Move /var/db to share /media/internal (just like what /media/cryptofs does), and 2. Modify the media indexer (someday, I need to see if those sources are part of open webOS) to be far more conservative about how it indexes files (for instance, I only want it to look in /media/internal/DCIM and /media/internal/Photos for pictures, not everywhere).
Old 01/19/2013, 12:18 PM   #168 (permalink)

Any solution to this error?
Tyh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 04:41 PM   #169 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyh2o View Post
as I have been worried about this freaking pop-op

excuse my alcohol state its Saturday ....and thank the TP spell gods

I was hoping for a patch for this calamity <------see :-P
Old 01/19/2013, 10:01 PM   #170 (permalink)

Maybe run a database compact and remove unused kinds? I'm sure there are ways of figuring out what's using the most space.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 01:58 AM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyh2o View Post
Assuming you have Preware installed this is the only premanent solution, there is no patch yet; it uses Xecutah/XTerm; Tailor is useful to view results but not essential to the solution. It should work on a TouchPad also. TouchPads have twice the memory allocated to the MojoDB compared to a Pre3, so are less likely to get the error. You will need a magnifying glass to read the XTerm screen results and command lines. Type carefully and inspect each command line before pressing Return. I also recommend cutting the E-Mail tracking down to only 1-Day to help avoid this problem, if you do not do this procedure.

Original Credit to Dkirker; modified, clarified and enhanced by jrwolff; tested succesfully on a Pre3 by jrwolff:

MojoDB (Application Database) Partition Resize - Pre3

For Command Lines Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.

#Pre3 File System Mount Point Size/Used Called/Purpose
#/dev/mapper/store-root / 559.1M/428.3M
#/dev/root /boot 31.0M/13.4M
#/dev/mapper/store-media /media/interval 12.8G/1.4G <== (Source of Space) (Fat32 File System - USB Drive)
#/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb /var/db 135.0M/116.1M<== (Expansion Target) /dev/mapper/mojodb (db8: Application Database)
#/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache /var/file-cache 127.5M/67.3M (Stores Contact Pictures & E-Mail Attachments)
#/dev/mapper/store-log /var/log 23.2M/15.8M
#/dev/mapper/store-var /var 62.0M/19.2M
#/dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update 62.0M/19.2M (Mounted on /var)
#/dev/loop0 /opt 124.0M/80.2M

# BEGIN

# Make sure that the Battery is Fully Charged for this Procedure.
# Turn Off All Radios and Place the Phone in Airplane Mode to Prevent Interruptions and Data File corruption.

# Check Current Partition Usage (Pipe to "more" to Control the Display):
df -h | more (To Enter the Pipe "|" Symbol On the Pre3 Keyboard: Sym P)
# OR
df -h /dev/mapper/store-media
df -h /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Resize & Increase the /var/db (/dev/mapper/mojodb) MojoDB Partition from 135MB to >=768MB:

## Part 1 - Shrink the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) "USB Drive" File System Partition Size from 12.8G

# Stop the cryptofs Service; i.e., "pause" it.
pkill -SIGUSR1 cryptofs

# Unmount the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) "USB Drive" File System Partition.
umount /media/internal

# Check the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) USB File System for Errors.
f s c k.vfat -r /dev/mapper/store-media
# Eliminate spaces for the "f s c k" command name; added to get past the mechanized moderator.

# If there are any Differences between Boot Sector and Backup, then Copy Original to Backup (Option 1).

# Shrink the USB Partition (Replace "12.8G" with the new reduced amount of space, Recommend 12.0G; the Partition is 12.8G by Default)
# Note: Wait for the 100% Complete message and a prompt.
resizefat -v /dev/mapper/store-media 12.0G

# Reduce the USB Logical Volume Size; i.e., Make the "Physical" Disk Smaller. (12.0G is the **SAME** number as above.)
# Note: Type "y" after Reduce Media WARNING and prompt.
lvreduce -L 12.0G /dev/mapper/store-media

# Remount the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) "USB Drive" File System Partition.
mount /media/internal

# Restart the cryptofs Service.
pkill -SIGUSR2 cryptofs

# Recommended: Do A Full Device Restart; after Rebooting Continue with Part 2 below.

## Part 2 - Increase the /var/db (Application Database) Encrypted File System Partition Size

# Recommended: Use Tailor to easily Confirm the actual amount of Unused Memory Space & Use that Number less 8MB with lvextend below.

# [Optional: After Rebooting and using Tailor, Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.]

# Stop the MojoDB Service.
/sbin/stop mojodb

# Unmount the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System Partition.
umount /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Extend the (/dev/mapper/store-mojodb) MojoDB File System By Adding 768MB (12.8G-12.0G).
# The Plus sign (+) is important because it Adds the newly available space to the existing space.
lvextend -L +768M /dev/mapper/store-mojodb

# Extend the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) Encrypted File System Size Up To the New Limit Now Available.
cryptsetup resize /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Resize the Underlying /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) Encrypted File System.
resize2fs -f -p /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Remount the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System and Partition.
mount /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Restart the MojoDB Service.
/sbin/start mojodb

# Exit XTerm/Xecutah
exit

# Do A Full Device Restart.

## Part 3 - After Rebooting, Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.

# Verify that the New File System/Partition Size of /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) is >= 971.9M.
df -h /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
df -h /var/db

# Check the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System for Errors.
f s c k.ext3 -n -f /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Exit XTerm/Xecutah
exit

# Use Tailor to Confirm that there is minimal Unused Memory Space, like 8MB.

## Part 4 - Increase the mojodb Quota Limit to reflect the new additional space available in the Partition.
# Use Internalz Pro to Open and edit the quota limit in the mojodb Configuration File located at:
# /etc/palm/mojodb.conf
# Look for: {"owner":"com.palm.*","size":78643200}
# Increase the quota limit from 78643200 (75MB *1024*1024) to about 53% of the new Partition size.
# For example, If the new Partition size is 971.9MB, then set the new quota to: 512*1024*1024 = 536870912

# Do A Full Device Restart.

# Turn Off Airplane Mode and Turn On Radios (Wi-Fi, Data Connection, etc.).

# FINISHED.

=======================================================================================

My TouchPad Info Before Changes:

#TouchPad File System Mount Point Size/Used Called/Purpose
#/dev/mapper/store-root / 559.1M/453.2M
#/dev/root /boot 31.0M/22.5M
#/dev/mapper/store-media /media/interval 27.6G/1.9G <== (Source of Space) (USB Drive)

#/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb /var/db 247.0M/50.3M <== (Expansion Target) /dev/mapper/mojodb (db8: Application Database)
#/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache /var/file-cache 127.5M/117.0M (Stores Contact Pictures & E-Mail Attachments)
#/dev/mapper/store-log /var/log 23.2M/8.1M
#/dev/mapper/store-var /var 62.0M/48.0M
#/dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update 62.0M/48.0M (Mounted on /var)
#/dev/loop0 /opt 124.0M/80.2M

---------------------------------------

Good Luck!

Last edited by jrwolff; 04/23/2014 at 07:39 AM.
jrwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and DamionMilliken like this.
Old 01/20/2013, 02:01 AM   #172 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't imagine anyone has any idea what can cause this to come up on the Desktop webOS? The drive has quite a bit of space free .. . . . . .
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 02:15 AM   #173 (permalink)

On the emulator it's flat mounted (one root and no additional mounts). It's separated on device for maintainability (no reinstalling core OS everything on wipe) and security (DB and file cache are independently encrypted, plus another layer for app files).

BTW, I don't think this can be fixed with a patch, unless someone backports the open source DB8 for optimization or something.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 02:29 AM   #174 (permalink)

The Pre3 only allocates 135MB for the DB8 (application) database. It starts the warnings when it is within about 10% or 15% of capacity. NEVER allow it to correct this for you; ALWAYS ignore the warning or else you will be wiped (the built-in solution, which is very poor). Do the procedure in Post #171.

This is without a doubt the worst design flaw in the Pre3 and will drive many away from an otherwise great phone/platform.

Last edited by jrwolff; 01/21/2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02/09/2013, 11:53 AM   #175 (permalink)

Just got bitten by this bug on my Verizon Pre 2. I didn't realize it would do a full reset last night and I came back to a empty phone. I'm in the process of reinstalling things. (painful)
Before I consider this changing partition surgery: :
Does deleting old text messages, keeping emails to 1 week (as opposed to month) likely to keep this bug at bay? I can go into the logs and delete the large (as forum thread states) log files. Is this a feasible strategy? I have relatively few apps , few mp3, videos, pics. Did the full erase temporarily fix this problem or are my logs just as big? (I will check them myself but I have to reinstall all regular apps before downloading internalz or other homebrew app to check the file sizes) Thanks!
I have been reading this thread which is helpful but it's 9 pages and takes a while to go through.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 02:23 PM   #176 (permalink)

I've been getting this in the last week, also on a Verizon Pre2. I have deleted log files, and gotten all the way to the step for cryptsetup, but I really have no /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb.

What do I do now?

I actually have /dev/mapper/store-mojodb extended to a larger size, but I've hit a wall. Anybody know what to do from here?
klwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 01:03 AM   #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwong View Post
I've been getting this in the last week, also on a Verizon Pre2. I have deleted log files, and gotten all the way to the step for cryptsetup, but I really have no /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb.

What do I do now?

I actually have /dev/mapper/store-mojodb extended to a larger size, but I've hit a wall. Anybody know what to do from here?
I am not sure that the partition adjustments I listed in post # 171 will work on a Pre 2, since the webOS is version 2.1 and may not have the same partition structure as the Pre 3 (webOS 2.2.4). Without trying to be flip, I would suggest upgrading to a Pre 3. Cutting back on the E-Mail archiving would certainly help. It depends on how many E-Mails you get in a day. I get a lot so I only archive 1 days worth. I am not sure that log pruning will work, however.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
Old 02/11/2013, 01:39 PM   #178 (permalink)

So I'll keep this short and skip most back story.

After a trip to the Doctor my TP still had App Database Almost Full.
I followed the instructions to resize the MojoDB changing the media partition from 27.5G to 26.9G.
This didn't work.
I looked for likely problems and removed some patches.
Then I tried to resize the DBs again and it still didn't work.

Is there something different about doing the on the TP?

I can provide more details if it will help.

Thanks.
bs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 01:50 PM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
So I'll keep this short and skip most back story.

After a trip to the Doctor my TP still had App Database Almost Full.
I followed the instructions to resize the MojoDB changing the media partition from 27.5G to 26.9G.
This didn't work.
I looked for likely problems and removed some patches.
Then I tried to resize the DBs again and it still didn't work.

Is there something different about doing the on the TP?

I can provide more details if it will help.

Thanks.
It is not clear from your post that you completed both steps. The first step is to reduce the "USB Drive" size to create additional unused space. The second step is to add that space to the MojoDB partition to increase its space. Did you complete all of the steps in the directions?
Old 02/13/2013, 03:55 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
It is not clear from your post that you completed both steps. The first step is to reduce the "USB Drive" size to create additional unused space. The second step is to add that space to the MojoDB partition to increase its space. Did you complete all of the steps in the directions?
Yes I did do both steps the first several times. Afterwards my space allotments were exactly the same.
The last time I tried rebooting and checking the space after reducing /media/internal. The size was still the same.
Here is a screen shot of when I run df -h.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg df_h.jpg (34.6 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment
bs03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0