webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > "The application database is almost full"?
"The application database is almost full"?
Like Tree19Likes

Old 09/23/2012, 03:19 AM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
What about the log files? Should I delete them all? And, then after deleting all, I have to restart the phone?
just try deleting messages, and the messages.gz files for now, and yeah restart the device, delete more log files if its still an issue, as i said "most" log files arent very big at all, messages is the main culprit being way larger than the rest, same applies to the messages .gz. files, their quite large as well.
Old 09/23/2012, 04:01 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
just try deleting messages, and the messages.gz files for now, and yeah restart the device, delete more log files if its still an issue, as i said "most" log files arent very big at all, messages is the main culprit being way larger than the rest, same applies to the messages .gz. files, their quite large as well.
I delete everything and still can't see my e-mails content. So I removed and re-established my accounts. I lowered my "get mail" time frames to 3 (gmail) and 6 (company's) months and have 232 mails. The var/file-cache folders are empty the messages.gz and logs are gone. Still can't see e-mails content.
Now, the funny thing I noticed and didn't shared is that both, Preł and Touchpad had this error at the same time? Does having the same e-mail accounts with same preference make sense for this to happen to both at the same time or should the TP endure a little bit longer? Also and important I think, I have never had a "application database is almost full" notice! I just assumed this is related to my problem. Since I've checked the var/file-cache /email /attachment and /mediathumbnail folders and they are smaller on the TP than the Preł. I'm getting worry that I'll have to carry my macbook again :'( . One thing though; I only did the procedure on my Preł. Should I've done it in both (I don't see it necessary)? Man, can someone make that patch to make the applications data base (e-mail at least) bigger! 1 or 2 GB, don't really matter since e-mail app is the most used by any mobile user (probably after twitter ;-) ). Donation is promised.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ajguns; 09/24/2012 at 12:18 PM.
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 08:32 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
So I got hit by the Database full issue on my AT&T Pre3 these past few days. I have tried everything i can think of to fix this (detailed below), but nothing works. I have done a FULL ERASE and a webOS Doctor and get the "database is full" error immediately upon activation, before downloading any apps or entering any synergy passwords. I think my last resort is to try and turn off my Profile Backup and do another restart. just dont want to do that just yet since i do have some really on calendar entries and contacts in my Palm Profile.

Things I have done:
Changed my Email to sync 1 day only.
Then actually removed my email accounts after that didn't work
Deleted the data in both /var/file-cache/attachment and /var/file-cache/email
Cleared up about 6 gigs of data on my device by moving off photos and videos
Deleted all text messaging conversations
Removed almost all synergy accounts
Used AgendaZ to clear up any "undefined calendar" events that I had in my calendar (which is surprisingly many)
Ultimately did a webOS Doctor
When that didn't work, did a FULL ERASE to clear out my USB drive.
Then, per geekpeter, also tried deleting message and *.gz within /var/log, as well has filenotify.db3 and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data. still no luck

At this point, my Pre3 is useless. I am using my older Pre2 with a different profile but don't want to give up all my paid apps. Unless I can figure something else out, I am going to turn off my Backup and then try another Reset. I will luckily have my old calendar entries still on my TouchPad, and I can try "export all contacts" (as I documented in this tip) and just import them into Google (which I really should have done a long time ago).

So, anyone have any other thoughts? HELP!

Adam
I got my hands on a brand new, right out of the box Pre3 to load up my profile on, and I still got the Database almost Full error immediately after activating. that tells me that as expected, it's definitely an issue stored with my Profile and not with the device. I have been in contact with some guys at Palm to see if we can figure this out and will report back if/when I have any updated data

Adam
Adam Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 09/30/2012, 01:25 AM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Marks View Post
I got my hands on a brand new, rigĤht out of the box Pre3 to load up my profile on, and I still got the Database almost Full error immediately after activating. that tells me that as expected, it's definitely an issue stored with my Profile and not with the device. I have been in contact with some guys at Palm to see if we can figure this out and will report back if/when I have any updated data

Adam
Same thing happened to me this past week. Looking forward to seeing if your investigation bears fruit. Tried to pinpoint source of problem with no luck.
jetruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 04:40 AM   #145 (permalink)

I deleted and recreated the directories recommended by GeekPeter and now when new or existing messages are received the content cannot be read. I did do a full device restart after making the directories, etc..

---------------

OK, an extra reboot seemed to do the trick, so message content is once again readable.

By the way, I do a scheduled reboot every night at 3:00AM which I think helps with memory management and file garbage cleanup to some degree, perhaps delaying the appearance of the bug. Also, I have promised myself that if I ever get the offer to restart the device from the diagnostic message about the App DB being full, to instead just close the program and do a regular device restart. I had to rebuild the Pre3 about 6-months ago and have no desire to waste another day or 2 doing it again.

Based on the evidence from this thread I am suspecting the HP profile as a contributing cause of this problem. It is obviously something that persists beyond a reset of the device. Perhaps a combination of the profile and storage space limits.

There is definitely a need for a garbage collection/cleanup App and an easy way to manage partition sizes. For instance, I think that deleting messages does not remove all entries associated with the old message, particularly when the messages are removed because only 1 or 3 days are kept on the device at a time.

Such an App developer would get a significant donation from me and the thanks of many. Any takers?

Last edited by jrwolff; 10/01/2012 at 05:44 AM.
jrwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 01:52 PM   #146 (permalink)

Blargh! I've been meaning to write something for this (someone keep on me!!! :P ).

I have the commands, and a spare (un-fixed) Pre3 on me. I'll do it if I can grab 15 minutes at work. You'll have to be comfortable with novaterm and the command line. I'll wrap it into Tailor some day.
Old 10/01/2012, 01:52 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
So I got hit by the Database full issue on my AT&T Pre3 these past few days. I have tried everything i can think of to fix this (detailed below), but nothing works. I have done a FULL ERASE and a webOS Doctor and get the "database is full" error immediately upon activation, before downloading any apps or entering any synergy passwords. I think my last resort is to try and turn off my Profile Backup and do another restart. just dont want to do that just yet since i do have some really on calendar entries and contacts in my Palm Profile.

Things I have done:
Changed my Email to sync 1 day only.
Then actually removed my email accounts after that didn't work
Deleted the data in both /var/file-cache/attachment and /var/file-cache/email
Cleared up about 6 gigs of data on my device by moving off photos and videos
Deleted all text messaging conversations
Removed almost all synergy accounts
Used AgendaZ to clear up any "undefined calendar" events that I had in my calendar (which is surprisingly many)
Ultimately did a webOS Doctor
When that didn't work, did a FULL ERASE to clear out my USB drive.
Then, per geekpeter, also tried deleting message and *.gz within /var/log, as well has filenotify.db3 and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data. still no luck

At this point, my Pre3 is useless. I am using my older Pre2 with a different profile but don't want to give up all my paid apps. Unless I can figure something else out, I am going to turn off my Backup and then try another Reset. I will luckily have my old calendar entries still on my TouchPad, and I can try "export all contacts" (as I documented in this tip) and just import them into Google (which I really should have done a long time ago).

So, anyone have any other thoughts? HELP!

Adam
I've created a bug fix ticket with our cloud services guys and will keep you updated as to what we find out. Hopefully we can get you back up and running without losing any apps/data/functionality. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Very busy over here!

Cheers,

Peter Helm
Developer Relations, webOS & Enyo
petehelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 10/01/2012, 02:13 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehelm View Post
I've created a bug fix ticket with our cloud services guys and will keep you updated as to what we find out. Hopefully we can get you back up and running without losing any apps/data/functionality. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Very busy over here!

Cheers,

Peter Helm
Developer Relations, webOS & Enyo
Hey Peter!

I'll go ahead and email you. There's an old old bug ticket that I filed a while ago with some details.
Old 10/01/2012, 11:15 PM   #149 (permalink)

Hello;
Just wanted to let you all know that I've solved my problem (not being able to view my e-mail). The things is that I was somewhat in the wrong thread, since I've never received the "application database almost full" notification. What happened is that one day my e-mail app stopped showing me their content. Also, my "back up" app stopped... hhhmmm... well, backing up. Then Rnp said to go to the last day when my e-mail app showed me the e-mails content and my phone backed up. Then he instructed to erase those mails from the server and to hard reset my devices. After doing that, I haven't got any issue. The problem was that a mail had corrupted the database. So, not downloading it made the trick.
I know this might be off topic here, but if someone else is mistaken and/or could find this helpful, it's worth sharing.
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 11:48 AM   #150 (permalink)

So, Donald Kirker is a genius. check out today's Tip of the Day ( Workaround for Application Database is Full error | webOS Nation ) where I wrote up his directions for fixing this! His post on the WebOS Internals is also posted here: MojoDB Partition Resize - WebOS Internals

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 10:23 AM   #151 (permalink)

I'm on the command line

root@Carlos Lomba Jr's Palm Pre:/#

when I type in df -h

I get a lot of data from multiple apps and percentages...totals.....can't seem to pinpoint the data I'm looking for??
Old 10/04/2012, 10:30 AM   #152 (permalink)

There should be column headings on the first line of output, separated by tabs. Follow that down and count your tabs, and you should be able to find the numbers you need. Ignore all jail entries, if any.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kataran
Old 10/04/2012, 11:14 AM   #153 (permalink)

size of /dev/mapper/store-media 13.8G

used of /dev/mapper/store-media 6.8G. 49%

now I couldn't find cryptodb

but the size /dev/mapper/mojodb 139.5M used 37.4M 27%

not sure what shape I'm in.....this is new to me?

I disregarded the the jail files

I see a /media/cryptofs with the same values as store-media

this is on a pre2 running 2.1.0
Old 10/04/2012, 11:26 AM   #154 (permalink)

This is what I am showing on my Pre2 that has NOT been modified by this process: See the two rows in RED that are important

Code:
df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                31.0M     11.5M     19.5M  37% /boot
/dev/mapper/store-root
                        441.7M    425.7M     16.0M  96% /
/dev/mapper/store-root
                        441.7M    425.7M     16.0M  96% /dev/.static/dev
tmpfs                     2.0M    172.0K      1.8M   8% /dev
/dev/mapper/store-var
                         62.0M     33.9M     28.1M  55% /var
/dev/mapper/store-log
                         23.2M      9.6M     13.6M  42% /var/log
tmpfs                    32.0M      4.8M     27.2M  15% /tmp
tmpfs                    16.0M     56.0K     15.9M   0% /var/run
tmpfs                    32.0M     52.0K     31.9M   0% /var/tmp
tmpfs                   246.4M         0    246.4M   0% /media/ram
/dev/mapper/store-media
                         13.8G      3.4G     10.4G  25% /media/internal
cryptofs                 13.8G      3.4G     10.4G  25% /media/cryptofs
/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
                        135.0M     36.5M     98.5M  27% /var/db
/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache
                        127.5M     94.1M     33.4M  74% /var/file-cache
tmpfs                    32.0M      4.8M     27.2M  15% /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_fo
rward

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Old 10/04/2012, 11:32 AM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
size of /dev/mapper/store-media 13.8G

used of /dev/mapper/store-media 6.8G. 49%

now I couldn't find cryptodb

but the size /dev/mapper/mojodb 139.5M used 37.4M 27%

not sure what shape I'm in.....this is new to me?

I disregarded the the jail files

I see a /media/cryptofs with the same values as store-media

this is on a pre2 running 2.1.0
Pre2 running 2.1? wow! why have you not updated to 2.2.4? and the pre2 i tested below was on 2.2.4

Like any of my work:
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 10/04/2012, 11:58 AM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Pre2 running 2.1? wow! why have you not updated to 2.2.4? and the pre2 i tested below was on 2.2.4
lol. Yeah I'm a little behind and was planning on updating but found 2.1 to be a solid build for my needs

maybe I don't know what I missing

anyhow could this be the reason for the file discrepancy ?

I'm a command-line novice even thou I was pretty proficient with ms-dos back in the day

guess I have to start learning commands again
Old 10/11/2012, 08:41 AM   #157 (permalink)

I don't understand, I did all the steps and increased the database to 1GB and I'm still getting the error! Here's my df -h:

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 31.0M 11.5M 19.4M 37% /boot
/dev/mapper/store-root
441.7M 415.6M 26.1M 94% /
/dev/mapper/store-root
441.7M 415.6M 26.1M 94% /dev/.static/dev
tmpfs 2.0M 168.0K 1.8M 8% /dev
/dev/mapper/store-var
62.0M 10.9M 51.0M 18% /var
/dev/mapper/store-log
23.2M 7.9M 15.4M 34% /var/log
tmpfs 32.0M 764.0K 31.3M 2% /tmp
tmpfs 16.0M 52.0K 15.9M 0% /var/run
tmpfs 32.0M 12.0K 32.0M 0% /var/tmp
tmpfs 246.3M 0 246.3M 0% /media/ram
/dev/mapper/store-media
12.0G 3.5G 8.4G 30% /media/internal
cryptofs 12.0G 3.5G 8.4G 30% /media/cryptofs
987.9M 987.8M 68.0K 100% /var/db
127.5M 61.1M 66.4M 48% /var/file-cache
root@KhalilHazourysHPPre:/#

What else am I supposed to do?!!!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 08:46 AM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
I don't understand, I did all the steps and increased the database to 1GB and I'm still getting the error! Here's my df -h:

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
127.5M 61.1M 66.4M 48% /var/file-cache
root@KhalilHazourysHPPre:/#

Whoa..something is seriously whacked if your /var/db is 1 GB! thats crazy! not sure what else there is to do other than increase it more.

Like any of my work:
Old 10/11/2012, 11:42 AM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
I don't understand, I did all the steps and increased the database to 1GB and I'm still getting the error!
i dont suppose by chance you have either android or heaps of files in /media/internal that the media indexer is attempting to index?

i know when i aquired MoDo music player to play my SID collection, i had placed my SID files in /media/internal/SIDs then every reboot the media indexer tried picking them up and wow, my log files (in /var/log) exploded with messages relating to the 39,000+ sid tunes i had in that folder, hiding the folder so it was /media/internal/.SIDs helped greatly.

Same applied to an old abandoned CM9 install i had tried, numerous leftover android apps ended up in my media/internal which also had files trying to be indexed.

maybe look in /media/internal for any folders that arent standard ones and see if they can be hidden with internalZ, then if possible amend any preferences for the app that uses that folder to reflect the new folder name, id only try this if you know exactly what your doing tho.

also have a dig around /var/file-cache and use internalZ to info the folders in there for anything abnormally large, try to narrow down at least the nearest folder that has an inflated size to track down the individual rogue files.

Edit: nm saw your entry for..

none of the things id normally look at or delete/fix my var/db is only 11% full, using 25.6mb

Last edited by geekpeter; 10/11/2012 at 11:51 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 05:31 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i dont suppose by chance you have either android or heaps of files in /media/internal that the media indexer is attempting to index?

i know when i aquired MoDo music player to play my SID collection, i had placed my SID files in /media/internal/SIDs then every reboot the media indexer tried picking them up and wow, my log files (in /var/log) exploded with messages relating to the 39,000+ sid tunes i had in that folder, hiding the folder so it was /media/internal/.SIDs helped greatly.

Same applied to an old abandoned CM9 install i had tried, numerous leftover android apps ended up in my media/internal which also had files trying to be indexed.

maybe look in /media/internal for any folders that arent standard ones and see if they can be hidden with internalZ, then if possible amend any preferences for the app that uses that folder to reflect the new folder name, id only try this if you know exactly what your doing tho.

also have a dig around /var/file-cache and use internalZ to info the folders in there for anything abnormally large, try to narrow down at least the nearest folder that has an inflated size to track down the individual rogue files.

Edit: nm saw your entry for..

none of the things id normally look at or delete/fix my var/db is only 11% full, using 25.6mb
This on my Sprint Pre2. I also have a 32GB TP & a 64GB TP with CM9/webOS. Unless my Pre2's Palm profile is somehow being affected by one of my TP's, this doesn't make any sense to me either.

What it is being indexed in the file again? I don't have many pictures or text messages, but I do have 6 email accounts, 3 which probably have quite a few emails in them. Do you think that can be affecting this file?
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0