Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the patch is faultless and fine, the issue that person had was simply having too much email be it the mails or attachments or both, I delete all I mentioned if I get a database nearly full warning and all is well, you can avoid the email bit if you wish, but the rest yeah delete those.
    Hi
    I've inserted the "Disk Cache Mod" patch and deleted some of the files you recommended in your thread message. I have not deleted the "email" nor the "attachment" folders within /var/file-cache/ directory.

I'll keep an eye on those files to be deleted on a regular basis.

So far I've noticed no adverse effects on my email nor Music (remix) app.

Only time will tell if I get "The Application database is getting full" message resulting in the Pre3 crashing and rebooting/resetting again.

If I get this message then I will delete the "email" and the "attachment" folders within /var/file-cache/ directory and then re-create these folders.

Ta muchly, really appreciate your help on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
    Hi
    I've inserted the "Disk Cache Mod" patch and deleted some of the files you recommended in your thread message. I have not deleted the "email" nor the "attachment" folders within /var/file-cache/ directory.

I'll keep an eye on those files to be deleted on a regular basis.

So far I've noticed no adverse effects on my email nor Music (remix) app.

Only time will tell if I get "The Application database is getting full" message resulting in the Pre3 crashing and rebooting/resetting again.

If I get this message then I will delete the "email" and the "attachment" folders within /var/file-cache/ directory and then re-create these folders.

Ta muchly, really appreciate your help on this.
    you can wipe the mail etc but as you've guessed and read the big clue for a "full" email situation is the blank grey screen when launching the mail app, the main things to delete will be what you just deleted earlier, check and delete those first any time it happens, esp the messages they often appear quite quick.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    So I got hit by the Database full issue on my AT&T Pre3 these past few days. I have tried everything i can think of to fix this (detailed below), but nothing works. I have done a FULL ERASE and a webOS Doctor and get the "database is full" error immediately upon activation, before downloading any apps or entering any synergy passwords. I think my last resort is to try and turn off my Profile Backup and do another restart. just dont want to do that just yet since i do have some really on calendar entries and contacts in my Palm Profile.

Things I have done:
    Changed my Email to sync 1 day only.
    Then actually removed my email accounts after that didn't work
    Deleted the data in both /var/file-cache/attachment and /var/file-cache/email
    Cleared up about 6 gigs of data on my device by moving off photos and videos
    Deleted all text messaging conversations
    Removed almost all synergy accounts
    Used AgendaZ to clear up any "undefined calendar" events that I had in my calendar (which is surprisingly many)
    Ultimately did a webOS Doctor
    When that didn't work, did a FULL ERASE to clear out my USB drive.
    Then, per geekpeter, also tried deleting message and *.gz within /var/log, as well has filenotify.db3 and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data. still no luck

At this point, my Pre3 is useless. I am using my older Pre2 with a different profile but don't want to give up all my paid apps. Unless I can figure something else out, I am going to turn off my Backup and then try another Reset. I will luckily have my old calendar entries still on my TouchPad, and I can try "export all contacts" (as I documented in this tip) and just import them into Google (which I really should have done a long time ago).

So, anyone have any other thoughts? HELP!

Adam
    Last edited by Audemars02; 09/16/2012 at 09:01 AM.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    So I got hit by the Database full issue on my AT&T Pre3 these past few days. I have tried everything i can think of to fix this (detailed below), but nothing works. I have done a FULL ERASE and a webOS Doctor and get the "database is full" error immediately upon activation, before downloading any apps or entering any synergy passwords. I think my last resort is to try and turn off my Profile Backup and do another restart. just dont want to do that just yet since i do have some really on calendar entries and contacts in my Palm Profile.

Things I have done:
    Changed my Email to sync 1 day only.
    Then actually removed my email accounts after that didn't work
    Deleted the data in both /var/file-cache/attachment and /var/file-cache/email
    Cleared up about 6 gigs of data on my device by moving off photos and videos
    Deleted all text messaging conversations
    Removed almost all synergy accounts
    Used AgendaZ to clear up any "undefined calendar" events that I had in my calendar (which is surprisingly many)
    Ultimately did a webOS Doctor
    When that didn't work, did a FULL ERASE to clear out my USB drive.

At this point, my Pre3 is useless. I am using my older Pre2 with a different profile but don't want to give up all my paid apps. Unless I can figure something else out, I am going to turn off my Backup and then try another Reset. I will luckily have my old calendar entries still on my TouchPad, and I can try "export all contacts" (as I documented in this tip) and just import them into Google (which I really should have done a long time ago).

So, anyone have any other thoughts? HELP!

Adam
    did you also goto /var/log and delete the message file and all the message .gz archives? you can also delete any other .gz log-type file in there as well.

theres also filenotify.db and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data to delete as well.
    did you also goto /var/log and delete the message file and all the message .gz archives? you can also delete any other .gz log-type file in there as well.

theres also filenotify.db and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data to delete as well.
    I can try, but would the size of those matter even after a full erase and a webos doctor?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    I can try, but would the size of those matter even after a full erase and a webos doctor?
    ive had application full and both those .db files were < 10mb, and other times larger each while others have had much larger, its a collective thing i would have thought, between them and other files, its just down to deleting stuff that wont labotomize your device.

if unsure the emulator can be a decent test device before you do it to the real thing, if you have virtualbox runnign with either phone or touchpad running, as their automatically set for dev mode on, you can run webos-quick-install (which will find device: Emulator) and install preware/preware apps like InternalZ direct to the emulator, then navigate around as you did on the real device, and try deleting some files you suspect can be removed, if it goes bang after a restart/reboot then you only wrecked the emulator and not the real one.

EDIT: in fact the last time i wrecked my emulated touchpad install, it didnt totally die, it just seemed to go back to factory default settings/setup, easily rectified if it was totally ruined, just keep a fresh backup to copy.

even managed to install Enyo Network Drive Mapper by giving the emulated web browser a direct link to the ipk on my box.com account (or dropbox, forget which, then just install via preware) and this let me copy many apps from my real touchpad to the emulated one.

Network Drives - Enyo Network Drive Mapper

tried that. still no luck!

Like any of my work:
    tried that. still no luck!
    full device restart after that?
    full device restart after that?
    of course!

Like any of my work:
    maybe look around for any unnaturally large files in /var, looks like you have something out of the norm which tends to fix my issue, if you have something else and fidn it, its definatly worth finding out and posting in here for future reference.
    maybe look around for any unnaturally large files in /var, looks like you have something out of the norm which tends to fix my issue, if you have something else and fidn it, its definatly worth finding out and posting in here for future reference.
    whats the best / fastest way to look for big files aside from going folder by folder?

Like any of my work:
    whats the best / fastest way to look for big files aside from going folder by folder?
    info folders closer to root perhaps then go farther up the tree, narrowing down the folder sizes, mostly on the root folders with issues the most like /var
    So... The partition in question is /var/db. That holds the mojodb for ALL db8 based apps (email, media indexer, things like Koto, etc). It is a measly 100MBs... I think I uploaded my notes to webos-internals (but I need to go check). If someone pings me on Twitter tonight PST (like, after 9pm), I can upload what I have (I may need to test them on a device first).

Someday I want to integrate it into Tailor.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Ok, I've read all this thread. I haven't been able to see my e-mail for a week now on both my Pre3 and Touchpad. They show up as new e-mails but can't see the content. I went to /var/log and erased 2 log file I had (those were the only log file, actually the only file outside the temp and other capets). I restarted the phone and then it asked me to restart again (leaving me no options) and re-enter into my accounts. Is restarting now...
    English... Confirm English... Accept... Sign in to my account... Restoring my backed up data... (didn't knew this was going to happen! I would have preferred to make meta-dr instead, or did I do good?)... Setup Complete... Restarting again... Syncing e-mail (930) accounts and restoring apps (168) (man just had a call, hearing the at&t tone and looking at the background gives me the butterflies... I'm confused, I feel like I'm with a new Pre3 )... OK!!! I CAN READ MY E-MAILS AGAIN!!! Ok, but I've read some people had the issue back within 24 hours, so I have to wait and see... Please, if you have any advice on how to avoid this problem further on, let me know. TO BE CONTINUE... Man!!! Robotek isn't restoring! Love that game in my Pre3 better that my TouchPad! I'll have to get it back!... TO BE CONTINUE... Ok, so... yes... problem persist about 24hrs later . Interrupting this a while (need to ask @geekpeter somethings). TO BE CONTINUE... OK... So I did everything I was asked for and the problem persist... Will keep you posted if anything arises. TO BE CONTINUE...
    Last edited by ajguns; 09/23/2012 at 03:42 PM.
    apptucker for robotek, also regarding your log files, did you also remove the .gz files with the same names as your logs, i forget where it is atm but i ended up finding a folder in there somewhere as well that contained a crapton of images, thumbnail/small preview type stuff, deleted those as well as i hadnt noticed them before.

usually deleting messages, messages1.gz etc helps the most along with deleting filenotify.db3 and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data

their usually my biggest suspects, im guessing anything that sits in /var in general thats useless/bloated fills things up, until it can get sorted automagically 1 day, were just stuck trying things manually (on files we know are safe to remove) and hoping we dont break anything.
    apptucker for robotek, also regarding your log files, did you also remove the .gz files with the same names as your logs, i forget where it is atm but i ended up finding a folder in there somewhere as well that contained a crapton of images, thumbnail/small preview type stuff, deleted those as well as i hadnt noticed them before.

usually deleting messages, messages1.gz etc helps the most along with deleting filenotify.db3 and downloadhistory.db in /var/luna/data

their usually my biggest suspects, im guessing anything that sits in /var in general thats useless/bloated fills things up, until it can get sorted automagically 1 day, were just stuck trying things manually (on files we know are safe to remove) and hoping we dont break anything.
    Hi geekpeter;
    So yes, app tuckerbox is great! I'll get it when I'm sure I have secured this issue.
    I do not know where those .gz files are. All I saw in var/db was 2 log.##### file. I erased them and the rest is in my "comment".
    I do see the var/luna/data files you mention but they are just 3KB, 228KB and 357KB. I do not know what help would it be to delete these small files. However, in my limited knowledge on this kind of stuff (and it's very limited) and trying to solve this annoying issue, I have come to believe that some problem solver would be in the var/file-cache folder. In there you'll find /attachment which weights 5.70MB; /backuptempdir 8KB (don't event look at this one); /contactphoto 6.39MB; contactvcard 8KB (don't bother); email 49.7MB Now this is worth looking at; /lost+found and /mediathumbnail 16 and 208 KB each (naa... don't waste your time). Now, I believe the /file-cache could be part of the issue because I've checked out the files contained in it and they are a bunch of photos and e-mail signatures from companies and clients I work with (mine included sometimes). I think it is safe to delete the content of this folder but I hope you can take a look at it and let me know your thoughts. OOOHHH! Just found the .log and .gz files you're referring to (I think); They're located on /var/log. Should I erase them one by one or erase the entire folder at once? Although the whole folder only weights 3.05MB (not much). That's all I saw at the /var folders that I think it's interesting. So, please see if this helps at all and let me know which files or folders I've mentioned are safe to erase and if you have something else your own that would help.
    Another thing that I was thinking about: is it possible for a HB DEV to make a patch to increase the app .db so that one don't have to meta-dr and wipe our smartphones? Some say that it is just 100MB and increasing it to 1GB or 2GB (the bigger the better. The bigger the better...) would delay this issue until our phones are just plain unusable (may I say I take good care of my Pre3? I think I'll suffer this again on a 1GB increase ). This would be so awesome. Would gladly pay through specific donation for this.
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Last edited by ajguns; 09/23/2012 at 02:04 AM.
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    look in /var/log you will see "messages" and various messages.1.gz, messages.2.gz etc, delete all those, regarding filenotify and downloadhistory, even small their worth deleting.

in /var/file-cache delete the "attachment", "email" and "mediathumbnail" folders, the recreate them, their subfolders will be auto created when required.

tbh dont touch anything in /var/db
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/23/2012 at 03:04 AM.
    look in /var/log you will see "messages" and various messages.1.gz, messages.2.gz etc, delete all those, regarding filenotify and downloadhistory, even small their worth deleting.

in /var/file-cache delete the "attachment", "email" and "mediathumbnail" folders, the recreate them, their subfolders will be auto created when required.

tbh dont touch anything in /var/db
    Hould I delete the klog_1.txt.gz and such files? And everything that has log in it, right?
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
    Hould I delete the klog_1.txt.gz and such files? And everything that has log in it, right?
    ive sometimes deleted the other .gz files, wasnt always required tho, usually the messages ones did the trick as their way bigger than the others, my other ones are typically <50k in size while messages is far far larger, just try the messages gz files and see if that works first.
    ive sometimes deleted the other .gz files, wasnt always required tho, usually the messages ones did the trick as their way bigger than the others, my other ones are typically <50k in size while messages is far far larger, just try the messages gz files and see if that works first.
    What about the log files? Should I delete them all? And, then after deleting all, I have to restart the phone?
    Ok. Did just as you said with the /var/file-cache /attachment /email /mediathumbnail folders and the var/luna files you've mentioned. Still cannot see my e-mails. Haven't erased the log files though they all weight some couple of hundreds KB. Anything else you may think of?
    I think some Hombrew Developer should start working on that "increase applications data base to 1 or 2 GB" patch...
    Last edited by ajguns; 09/23/2012 at 03:45 AM.
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast