Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    metadoctor your device with a VAR partition size of 2gb and you will never, ever, ever, EVER have this problem again.

Such an easy fix, dunno why people are still scratching their heads over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I completely understand. My only advise is to set up save/restore and set it up for auto-save every day. I've managed to keep my losses minimal by using this utility.

-Jeremy
    Totally agree. I did a save/restore yesterday, thankfully. Now I just have to find the time to reinstall preware and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    metadoctor your device with a VAR partition size of 2gb and you will never, ever, ever, EVER have this problem again.

Such an easy fix, dunno why people are still scratching their heads over it.
    Hmmm...maybe I will look into it. Haven't had the patience thus far to wade into all the linux command line stuff. (Don't know if it's necessary for metadoctor, but I chose not to do Tailor because of that.)

Thanks!
    Could you tell me how to resize the VAR patition to 1 gb? and I had install TAILOR.
    thank a lots!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    The only way to fix this problem forever is to increase the size of the /var partition to 1gb on your webos device.

2 ways to do this:

1) Create a custom Doctor with Meta-Doctor and go into the Makefile and enable the resizing of the VAR partition to 1gb.

2) Download the app "TAILOR" in Preware and resize the VAR partition to 1gb.

This way its 10 times as big and unlikely to ever fill up.
    Last edited by mitchell; 06/08/2012 at 05:59 AM.
    Stay Away from this Reboot
    I was driving and didn't look carefully so I hit Reboot, now I can't log back into the profile.

I created this Thread if anybody know how to fix it, please let me know in there
    The issue is fairly well documented on this thread: The issue is the /var/db partition getting full, not your /media/internal which is the space reported by "Device Info".

There are a couple things you can do, but there's no real *fix* for this:

Download wTerm or Xterm from Preware and go in and delete the LOG files created under /var/db, these can take up considerable space and make it fill up faster.

Download Tailer from Preware and increase the space on /var/db. Tailer is not available in the public feed (As you've discovered already) and it requires beta feed access. Tailer is not stable enough for the public feed so it is inherently risky, so be careful if you choose that path.

I'm not sure this makes any difference really. I've tried all sorts of various settings here on how much email to keep and it doesn't seem to impact the issue. Keep in mind that this issue is sporadic at best. I've had it happen twice in a month and I've gone over a year without it happening as well. Just because it doesn't happen again right away does not mean you "fixed" it.

-Jeremy
    It had been awhile since I received the "database is almost full" message, but received it tonight and not too happy about it. I know I have seen it in the past, but for some reason I am not able to located the /var/db directory in Internalz Pro (or Internalz). In the preferences I checked the option to show hidden files and still not seeing this directory. What am I not doing correctly. Like I said, I know I have seen it in the past but not sure why I am not seeing it now - have a Verizon Pre (2.24). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Could you tell me how to resize the VAR patition to 1 gb? and I had install TAILOR.
    thank a lots!
    Has anyone used Tailor to resize the var partition to solve this issue? If so, it would be greatly if you could provide specific instructions on how you did it. Have Tailor installed but can't seem to locate the var partition on Tailor in order to resize it. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this front.
    Tailor isn't equipped to resize the /var/db and /var/file-cache partitions (/var is a completely separate partition), as they are cryptofs partitions and require one extra step. I am looking at modifying Tailor to allow the resize of those partitions. I am also looking into adding a patch to prevent the device from forcing users to reset and restore their device when this condition is hit.

I need to get a webos-internals article written up.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Tailor isn't equipped to resize the /var/db and /var/file-cache partitions (/var is a completely separate partition), as they are cryptofs partitions and require one extra step. I am looking at modifying Tailor to allow the resize of those partitions. I am also looking into adding a patch to prevent the device from forcing users to reset and restore their device when this condition is hit.

If a solution (Tailor) or a patch was developed to prevent this issue from happening I would gladly pay $50 for it (for the piece of mind). Happened to my VZW Pre 3 again tonight. At my wits end re: this issue and am starting to think about replacing the Pre 3 (which I love 99% of the time). But sick of dealing with this issue causing me to start from square one after I get my phone set up just like I like it. So damn maddening.

Why can't anyone figure out what the source of the problem is and develop a solution for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    thank a lots!
    Does the custom MetaDoctor really resolve this issue? I have seen conflicting posts re: the viability of this approach as a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Yep. I saw that thread, your post, and Rod's reply. The only difference is that I had a subdirectory /temp/ which had an additional objects.db. So, I was thinking that it might not be the primary one and thus be ok to delete.

Either way, the point is moot. This morning the notifications about the database were back and they weren't taking the proverbial "no" (via Restart Later) for an answer. Hope against hope, I deleted the objects.db in the /var/db/temp folder. The phone restarted itself and wiped (or maybe in a different order). So, if the deletion even happened, it's not clear whether it had any effect.

Ah well.

I gotta say though that this kind of thing has really soured me. We all have busy and stressful lives and as much as I LOVE webOS (even volunteered for Phoenix as an attorney), I just don't have time (and spare blood pressure) for my main communication device to go sideways. And the fact that HP won't fix something like this is just... ugh.
    Totally agree. This issue has happened to me three times (and after 3 doctorings) this week. Love WebOS but I don't even want to try adding up all of the hours I have spent dealing with this issue (and with no apparent resolution). I have been a longtime/loyal Palm/WebOS - various Treos, original launch Pre, Pre 2, Touchpad, and now Pre 3 - where the issue is rearing its head on a regular basis (I also volunteered to assist the Phoenix group from a legal assistance standpoint). The repeated nature of this issue is going to bring this long relationship to an end. The new Samsung Galaxy S3 is looking like a better option every day.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

So Tailor isn't even an option then? Is Meta-Doctor the only way to fix this?
    This happened to me again last night. Not even giving me "the database is almost full" warning anymore - Just getting "database is full you must restart your phone." Starting to think the issue is being triggered by the Shortcut Launcher app. Hadn't had any issues for about a week and started creating some shortcuts with Shortcut Launcher and then it hit me. For those that have experienced this issue are you also moderate to heavy users of the Shortcut Launcher app?
    Right, don't touch the .db files, but do delete the log files.

-Jeremy
    Deleting the log files doesn't do the trick. I have been doing that and I still got the dreaded "database is full" restart your phone message the other day. I have tried pretty much everything that has been mentioned by folks in the various threads discussing this issue and none of these solutions work. I am somewhat surprised that - with all of the smart people in the webOS community - that no one has found a solution to this issue. I am not a tech neophyte by any means, but when it comes to coding/app development I have never attempted anything along these lines. I am desparate for help on this front. Been a lifelong Palm/webOS user and love my Pre 3 (when not dealing with this issue), but afraid to "recustomize" my phone because it always seems to happen about a week after I get the phone just the way I like it (i.e., patches, Shortcut Launcher app icons, etc.). Total bummer.
    I had the same message on my Pre3 !!! I ignored it all day today cause I wanted to read upon the best solution. My Pre3 became inresponsive and I had to reboot it and now it won't boot....it's stuck on the webOS boot logo screen for hours... I think I have to doctor it but its a pain in the *** cause I have not backed it up in a while !!! why why why !!!!

Vas

Edit: After several retries I managed to get the phone on usb mode to run the Doctor. It will be a waste of a day for me now resetting everything, setting up all my apps, syncing profiles etc....
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 08/11/2012 at 03:52 AM.
    For the fourth time my Pre3 has just started displaying "Application database is getting full."
    As recommended, I've done a back-up, I've copied all the files on the USB to my computer, I've taken screenshots of the app launcher and I've done a back-up using the homebrew save/restore.

Now I am just waiting for the inevitable Pre3 crash and the 5 hours to get it up and running again

Please, please homebrew community, can you come up with a fix, as I really like webOS and I can't bring myself to switch to an Android or iPhone, which I'm sure doesn't have this issue!!??

Is the problem to do with partitioning of the Pre3 usb?
    Can the developer of Tailor write an app to fix?

Can WebOSnation do a poll to see the extent of WebOS users having this issue.
    From this thread it's obviously just not me having this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
    For the fourth time my Pre3 has just started displaying "Application database is getting full."
    As recommended, I've done a back-up, I've copied all the files on the USB to my computer, I've taken screenshots of the app launcher and I've done a back-up using the homebrew save/restore.

Now I am just waiting for the inevitable Pre3 crash and the 5 hours to get it up and running again

Please, please homebrew community, can you come up with a fix, as I really like webOS and I can't bring myself to switch to an Android or iPhone, which I'm sure doesn't have this issue!!??

Is the problem to do with partitioning of the Pre3 usb?
    Can the developer of Tailor write an app to fix?

Can WebOSnation do a poll to see the extent of WebOS users having this issue.
    From this thread it's obviously just not me having this issue.
    try the suggestion in this post

[patch in preware] Disk Cache mod

the message should go away ....... for a while, easy enough to repeat if it occurs again, hopefully wont happen too quickly, its nto a fix but a useful selfrepair.

works for tpad/pre3.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    try the suggestion in this post

[patch in preware] Disk Cache mod

the message should go away ....... for a while, easy enough to repeat if it occurs again, hopefully wont happen too quickly, its nto a fix but a useful selfrepair.

works for tpad/pre3.
    Hi GeekPeter

Great to see a fellow Brit help out on WebOS - much appreciated!

I went to your link.

Being a non-techie I'm a little concerned by some of the postings saying email went blank/grey and music was affected as a result of the patch you suggested.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on this and what if any are the potential side effects of installing the patch?

ta
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Not sure if it will help, but other threads have mentioned this and I got my TP working by deleting the downloadhistory.db file from /var/luna/data. Mine was around 40MB in size. After that I've had no trouble. That was around 4 months ago!
    Quote Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
    Hi GeekPeter

Great to see a fellow Brit help out on WebOS - much appreciated!

I went to your link.

Being a non-techie I'm a little concerned by some of the postings saying email went blank/grey and music was affected as a result of the patch you suggested.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on this and what if any are the potential side effects of installing the patch?

ta
    the patch is faultless and fine, the issue that person had was simply having too much email be it the mails or attachments or both, I delete all I mentioned if I get a database nearly full warning and all is well, you can avoid the email bit if you wish, but the rest yeah delete those.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast