Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Its clear that its only happening to hardcore users, so either its just having a LOT of apps or a specific app/patch thats running out of control.

I think its just because we have a lot of apps.
    if it was simply a function of # of apps, then after doctoring and re-installing and restoring with save/restore wouldn't the issue resurface immediately?

I suggest routinely deleting your browser cache, text messages, call logs to prevent the database to fill up.
    Do we know these are all stored in /var/db? If these are contributing factors then, again, why doesn't the issue resurface immediately after a restore of the device back to the exact state it was before? All of these things get restored with the device so if they were filling up /var/db then it should immediately fill back up when they are restored.

Before we get all OCD lets first see if 1gb fils up. If not, then why bother exploring why it was filling up before?
    Because if it's a bug in a single app or combination of app/patch wouldn't it be a lot easier and less dangerous to recommend simply deleting an app rather than re-partitioning the device? Meta-doctoring is not a simple task and has it's own risks/problems and "Tailor" is not in the public feeds and not considered stable/safe.

-Jeremy
    Today I got hit by this too on my Touchpad. Is there a "certain" fix/workaround for this?

I dont want to delete and resync everything again. Palm support suggested that. I really hate that everything comes down to "do a partial delete and re-sync". How about NO? Too much time to setup everything again...

What is interesting is that I use my Pre3 far more than my Touchpad. Ok I got a lot of apps installed but isn't that the whole point? I'm considering using Tailor to re-partition but any more info on how to debug this further?

Thanks
    Vas
    Have had this happen to my Verizon Pre 3 twice in the last week. Extremely frustrating. Any other Pre 3 users experiencing similar issues. HP Touchpad seems unaffected.
    Its clear that its only happening to hardcore users, so either its just having a LOT of apps or a specific app/patch thats running out of control.

I think its just because we have a lot of apps.

I dont see it ever using up 1gb. If you use up 1gb of database files, your device is going to be so sluggish that it wont even be usable anyways.

I suggest routinely deleting your browser cache, text messages, call logs to prevent the database to fill up.

Before we get all OCD lets first see if 1gb fils up. If not, then why bother exploring why it was filling up before?
    I don't think it is a # of apps issue. Don't have alot of apps on my 16 GB Verizon Pre 3 (which is where this problem keeps reoccurring) but do on my Touchpad (where I am not having issues). Think the problem is being caused by a specific app or patch (or combination of the same).
    it happened to me after the OTA upgrade to 224. I Ignored it for a few days. Then one day the phone just crashed and reset itself to factory. After I flogged in to my profile everything synced back up and I've been fine. So I'm not sure but it almost seemed like there was extra junk in the database from the OTA
    This happened to me again tonight - one day after webdoctoring my Pre 3 and using an completely new webOS profile. So can scratch that one off as the cause of the issue. Had reinstalled a number of patches and uberkernel so think it is related to a patch (or combination of patches). Someone recommended sharing the apps, patches, etc. of people who are experiencing this issue to assist in identifying a culprit of this problem. Willing to go through the effort of sharing info if others are to come to a resolution. Not sure what else to do at this point. Seems to happen everytime I get my Pre 3 setup exactly the way I like it. Maddening. HP is not going to be of assistance on this front so we're on our own to work this issue out. Thoughts?
    This issue occurred on my Pre3 after installing Wifi File Sharing. I am not blaming this app, just trying to help figuring out what is the cause for the problem (I re-installed all patches and most of the apps (but no Wifi File Sharing) after doctoring and after 6 weeks everything seems to be ok so far).
    After doctoring and reinstalling all of my apps on my Verizon Pre 3, I decided to install most of the patches I had prior to crash. I decided not to install Uberkernel, any of the advanced device menu/system preferences patches, or patches that alter the system operation in a material way (e.g., patches relating to logging, or speeding up the system - buttah, hyper card, etc.). So far so good. My Pre 3 no longer preheats with heavy usage or when on touchstone.
    In the last day or two, I've started getting the message "Application database getting full" on my HP Webos Pre3.

I have used Archive and Internalz to see which folders in my USB partition might have a large file(s).

However, my "device info" shows that I have 3.7GB available out of a total 8GB memory. Therefore I cannot understand why I'm getting the message "Application database getting full"?

I see my .palm folder has about 1GB, not sure what this folder is for.

Is the Application Database outside of the USB drive and therefore not accessible?

I read a forum page about using the Tailor app, in beta version, by Rod Whitby, to investigate the data partitioning, but I cannot find this app in Apps, Preware nor Uberapp.

I've done my back-up and save/restore.
    I've also deleted photos and memos that are not essential.

Has anybody else experienced the above issue and managed to resolve it?

cheers
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I was getting this issue on my Pre3 and it asked me to agree to clear my data, which in turn reset my phone. (so beware of that) After that, I set the sync time for my Microsoft Exchange account and also other email accounts from all the time to 7 days, I haven't gotten this issue since then.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
    In the last day or two, I've started getting the message "Application database getting full" on my HP Webos Pre3.

I have used Archive and Internalz to see which folders in my USB partition might have a large file(s).

However, my "device info" shows that I have 3.7GB available out of a total 8GB memory. Therefore I cannot understand why I'm getting the message "Application database getting full"?

I see my .palm folder has about 1GB, not sure what this folder is for.

Is the Application Database outside of the USB drive and therefore not accessible?

I read a forum page about using the Tailor app, in beta version, by Rod Whitby, to investigate the data partitioning, but I cannot find this app in Apps, Preware nor Uberapp.

I've done my back-up and save/restore.
    I've also deleted photos and memos that are not essential.

Has anybody else experienced the above issue and managed to resolve it?

cheers
    The issue is fairly well documented on this thread: The issue is the /var/db partition getting full, not your /media/internal which is the space reported by "Device Info".

There are a couple things you can do, but there's no real *fix* for this:

Download wTerm or Xterm from Preware and go in and delete the LOG files created under /var/db, these can take up considerable space and make it fill up faster.

Download Tailer from Preware and increase the space on /var/db. Tailer is not available in the public feed (As you've discovered already) and it requires beta feed access. Tailer is not stable enough for the public feed so it is inherently risky, so be careful if you choose that path.

Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    I was getting this issue on my Pre3 and it asked me to agree to clear my data, which in turn reset my phone. (so beware of that) After that, I set the sync time for my Microsoft Exchange account and also other email accounts from all the time to 7 days, I haven't gotten this issue since then.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I'm not sure this makes any difference really. I've tried all sorts of various settings here on how much email to keep and it doesn't seem to impact the issue. Keep in mind that this issue is sporadic at best. I've had it happen twice in a month and I've gone over a year without it happening as well. Just because it doesn't happen again right away does not mean you "fixed" it.

-Jeremy
    I'm not quite sure how to use xterm (or wterm). Are there some guidance notes on Webosnation or elsewhere?

I already have Internalz Pro insatlled - can I use this to delete the LOG files?

By the way how do I identify what are the LOG files?

cheers
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Just an FYI - if you navigate (Internalz Pro) to /var/luna/data check the size of the 'downloadhistory.db' file. Mine was 40MB when I had a problem installing/updating apps and by deleting this and restarting everything went back to normal.

This is documented in another thread, but I can't remember which one.

If you are unsure about deleting this file, just copy it somewhere else and restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Just an FYI - if you navigate (Internalz Pro) to /var/luna/data check the size of the 'downloadhistory.db' file. Mine was 40MB when I had a problem installing/updating apps and by deleting this and restarting everything went back to normal.

This is documented in another thread, but I can't remember which one.

If you are unsure about deleting this file, just copy it somewhere else and restart.
    cheers
    I'm not quite sure how to use xterm (or wterm). Are there some guidance notes on Webosnation or elsewhere?

I already have Internalz Pro insatlled - can I use this to delete the LOG files?

By the way how do I identify what are the LOG files?

cheers
    Yeah Internalz works too... Just navigate to /var/db and look for files that have "log" as part of the file name. It's really low risk since your device is about to get wiped anyhow. You have to act fast before it completly fills up and forces a reboot on you.

Btw the /var/luna/data mentioned by NK_Newbuy is not related to this specific issue. You need to look at /var/db.

-Jeremy
    This has been happening for a few days with my ATT Pre3. Gotten to the point where, this morning, while actually reading this thread, it told me to reboot and that the phone would be wiped. Fortunately (for now) it gave me a "Restart Later" button which worked.

Internalz Pro shows a var/db/temp folder which has an "objects.db" file that is over 76 MB. var/db/main has a couple db files that are around 15 MB and some that are much smaller. Anyone (Jeremy?) know if it's OK to delete the big one in the "temp" folder? Any chance that I can avoid wiping?
    Hi Circadia

I would advise you don't move or delete the objects.db file, unless of course anybody more technically expert than me says otherwise.

I had the same problem, asked Rod Whitby, but decided to move the objects.db before his reply came (too eager I guess).

Within about 10 minutes my Pre 3 "crashed" and I had to restore all the back-ups I fortunately did with Save/Restore in Preware and the official "Back-up" program. So I got back 99%, but after 2 hours!

Anyway here's my question and the reply from Rod below - which is under the thread "Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing"

My conclusion ( though not helpful): it must be another file but don't now which - someone else mentioned downloadhistory.db, in var/luna/data but this file was in KB not MB for me so I am confused

However I have just noticed another file in var/db/ called log.0000000099 which is 2MB at the moment! I will keep an eye on this to see if it grows. I bet this is the culprit file. Anybody else reckon so????

Here is my original post, and, good luck:-
    "
    Originally Posted by NK_Newbury
    Hi Rod

I downloaded Internalz Pro and followed instructions in Post 101 in forum thread "Not Enough Space to Download" after 3.0.4. The downloadhistory.db file was about 0.8MB and I moved it from "data" folder to "usb" partition.

However I also looked at the "/var" partition.

I have noticed some big files which I do not understand what they are and whether they are causing the Application database to get full too?

Large files:
    in /var/db/main:-
    indexes.db 32MB;
    objects.db 68MB;

I also found a file called installHistory.db but this is only 75KB - I doubt this is the culprit.

Are the two large files above the culprits?
    If so what should I do with them?

cheers
    /var/db is your DB8 database. Removing those two files would be pretty much equivalent to doctoring your device."
    Hi Circadia

I would advise you don't move or delete the objects.db file, unless of course anybody more technically expert than me says otherwise.

I had the same problem, asked Rod Whitby, but decided to move the objects.db before his reply came (too eager I guess).

Within about 10 minutes my Pre 3 "crashed" and I had to restore all the back-ups I fortunately did with Save/Restore in Preware and the official "Back-up" program. So I got back 99%, but after 2 hours!

Anyway here's my question and the reply from Rod below - which is under the thread "Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing"

My conclusion ( though not helpful): it must be another file but don't now which - someone else mentioned downloadhistory.db, in var/luna/data but this file was in KB not MB for me so I am confused

However I have just noticed another file in var/db/ called log.0000000099 which is 2MB at the moment! I will keep an eye on this to see if it grows. I bet this is the culprit file. Anybody else reckon so????

Here is my original post, and, good luck:-
    "
    Originally Posted by NK_Newbury
    Hi Rod

I downloaded Internalz Pro and followed instructions in Post 101 in forum thread "Not Enough Space to Download" after 3.0.4. The downloadhistory.db file was about 0.8MB and I moved it from "data" folder to "usb" partition.

However I also looked at the "/var" partition.

I have noticed some big files which I do not understand what they are and whether they are causing the Application database to get full too?

Large files:
    in /var/db/main:-
    indexes.db 32MB;
    objects.db 68MB;

I also found a file called installHistory.db but this is only 75KB - I doubt this is the culprit.

Are the two large files above the culprits?
    If so what should I do with them?

cheers
    /var/db is your DB8 database. Removing those two files would be pretty much equivalent to doctoring your device."
    Right, don't touch the .db files, but do delete the log files.

-Jeremy
    Yep. I saw that thread, your post, and Rod's reply. The only difference is that I had a subdirectory /temp/ which had an additional objects.db. So, I was thinking that it might not be the primary one and thus be ok to delete.

Either way, the point is moot. This morning the notifications about the database were back and they weren't taking the proverbial "no" (via Restart Later) for an answer. Hope against hope, I deleted the objects.db in the /var/db/temp folder. The phone restarted itself and wiped (or maybe in a different order). So, if the deletion even happened, it's not clear whether it had any effect.

Ah well.

I gotta say though that this kind of thing has really soured me. We all have busy and stressful lives and as much as I LOVE webOS (even volunteered for Phoenix as an attorney), I just don't have time (and spare blood pressure) for my main communication device to go sideways. And the fact that HP won't fix something like this is just... ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Yep. I saw that thread, your post, and Rod's reply. The only difference is that I had a subdirectory /temp/ which had an additional objects.db. So, I was thinking that it might not be the primary one and thus be ok to delete.

Either way, the point is moot. This morning the notifications about the database were back and they weren't taking the proverbial "no" (via Restart Later) for an answer. Hope against hope, I deleted the objects.db in the /var/db/temp folder. The phone restarted itself and wiped (or maybe in a different order). So, if the deletion even happened, it's not clear whether it had any effect.

Ah well.

I gotta say though that this kind of thing has really soured me. We all have busy and stressful lives and as much as I LOVE webOS (even volunteered for Phoenix as an attorney), I just don't have time (and spare blood pressure) for my main communication device to go sideways. And the fact that HP won't fix something like this is just... ugh.
    I completely understand. My only advise is to set up save/restore and set it up for auto-save every day. I've managed to keep my losses minimal by using this utility.

-Jeremy