Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    This weekend I am going to try it again and I'll screen shot the log that way anyone with more knowledge than me can tell me if I am doing something wrong. I also think I'll probably need a little help with the db quota thing too.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
    So is post #171 still the best fix for this right now?

also, is there a list of files you can delete to help with this? (thought I remembered seeing that somehwere)
    Doctoring or resetting, here's a checklist!
    Yes!

That options in #171 brought my Pre 3 back to my life!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Yesterday, both my FrankenPre2 and my Pre3 got the dreaded "...database full..." message.

I didn't manage to get WOSIQI working before it forced a restart on the Pre3, so had to log back in and restore profile and re-apply patches for appstore, Google , add Preware, Internalz, AUSMIT, etc. eventually got it running. Now trying to use post 171 but after carefully doing all the steps and believing that all were successful, my new df -h shows 12.8 on media internal, and 971.9 on cryptodb, 132 available on store-root. But Tailor shows 12.0 for media internal, with 8mb unused? I get a "jailed" message in Tailor, and my df -h shows many /usr/palm/jail/... entries. Mostly regarding "tweaks". Is this normal?

Seems like a lot of contradictory info. If this makes sense to anyone let me know. It's late so maybe I can try it again tomorrow and see if something works differently next time.

Don't have photo's, music or videos in any quantity, and haven't even used my FrankenPre2 in over a week, (was on vacation)

Maybe I should use WOSQI so I can copy results to notepad.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    That sucks. Are they on different Palm profiles?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That sucks. Are they on different Palm profiles?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yeah, different profiles. The frankenpre was off for a week, but the Pre3 I'd been traveling with, and using normally. Both had been updated the week before last with the new Google 1.2 patch. Dunno what suddenly causes this but getting frustrating. Second time on the Pre3. That's why I want to try to expand the partition and see if this prevents whatever is happening from forcing another reset.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    My phone says it "can't find mount point" anytime I type anything to do with store-cryptodb, is that bad?
    Doctoring or resetting, here's a checklist!
    I suggest to repeat all steps... again, since begin...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    Since I did not see this fully documented anywhere yet (only saw some parts of it here and there), I wanted to share my experiences with trying to overcome (and solved so far!) the following dreaded "application database is full" warning message I received on my Pre3 (AT&T) on 4/11:

> The application database is full.
    > You must restart your device. This
    > will clear the database. After restart, sign in to
    > your webOS Account to restore backed up data.

I did not do the restart ("Restart Now" button) as the above warning message recommended, but instead followed the following forum posts and wiki page to adjust the /media/internal and /var/db partition sizes (thank you for these posts!!!):

The famous post #171 in this thread:
    "The application database is almost full"?

Post #202 in this thread:

MojoDB Partition Resize - WebOS Internals

Everything went well for the first day after resizing the partitions, but then I ran into the even more DREADED "db: quota exceeded" error message, which I did not find a solution to in the forums yet, except to do a full device reset, which I wanted to avoid. The "db: quota exceeded" error message caused the following problems on my Pre3:

- Cellular data stopped working completely without any kind of error message (even toggling Airplane Mode and Phone > Prefs > Network > "Data Usage" various ways did not help restore cellular data), but Wi-Fi still worked.

- Sending and receiving Text messages stopped working without any error message, but I could still read existing Texts.

- Sending and receiving Email stopped working, but I could still read existing email. When I tried to save a Draft, then I got the "db: quota exceeded" error message.

- Photos app stopped updating so it did not show any of my new photos and screen captures, but Internalz Pro could see them.

- Saw repeated 'Failed with error "db: quota exceeded", code -3962' and "db: quota exceeded (-3962)" messages in my /var/log/messages with Muffle System Logging patch not installed.

After reading the following threads on "quota exceeded", I did not see a solution except for a trip to the Doctor or full device reset, which, again, I wanted to leave as a last resort, especially since I still had access to the command line and file system:

Email account quota exceeded and can't delete accounts:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...-accounts.html

Databsae [Database] error -3962 "db: quota exceeded":
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-exceeded.html

Post #221 by FatalException on 04/10/2014 with the same quota exceeded problem I was seeing, but again, no solution except for a trip to the Doctor:

I finally came across the following BUG report that gave me some hope of something new to try:

[BUG]db8 errorText in reached the maximum size
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17136

with the key section saying:
    > Each kind owner has a database quota.
    > If you look in /etc/palm/mojodb.conf,
    > you'll see that (as of webOS 3.0.2)
    > we set the standard quota as
    > 62,914,560 (60MB [or 60*1024*1024]).
    >
    > System kinds have a 225MB
    > [or 225*1024*1024=235,929,600] quota.
    > DB8 data is stored in /var/db,
    > a separate ext3 partition.

My Pre3's /etc/palm/mojodb.conf file has the following Quotas:

Code:
    	"quotas" : [
    		{"owner":"*","size":20971520},
    		{"owner":"com.palm.*","size":78643200}  <<<
    which is 20MB (=20,971,520/1024/1024) and 75MB (=78,643,200/1024/1024), respectively.

My largest /var/db/main/ database sizes, when viewed in Internalz, were:
    - objects.db = 74.6MB
    - indexes.db = 23.5MB

so I can see that I am reaching that 75MB quota file size limit, which is probably causing those "db: quota exceeded" error messages.

I increased that 78643200 (=75MB) quota value in /etc/palm/mojodb.conf to 235929600 (=225MB) using Internalz to see if that would help (earlier I had increased my /var/db partition size from 135MB to 512MB, so there should be enough room to handle this larger quota limit) and then restarted by Pre3.

Like magic, everything started working again.
    I first saw my Cellular Data signal come back, then I checked out the Photos app and all my new photos and screenshots showed up. I tested Email (set it to keep 3 days worth instead of my previous 1 months setting) and my new email showed up. Sending email and texts worked too.

I hope my Pre3 that I really like and have only been using for 6 months keeps working, and my experience described above will help someone else.

Don't be afraid of the command line -- copy and paste with the "Web OS Quick Install" (http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-5-0-a.html) Linux Commandline (under the Tools menu) is your friend. So are these forums! Thank you, everyone who sharing your experiences here, so that our devices can live (survive) another day, week, month, year...

Now I'll have to keep an eye out on the file size of /var/db/main/objects.db and try to find out what is causing it to grow. It has already grown from 74.6MB to 76.0MB (increase of 1.4MB) in about 5 hours after doing the above and I don't even get that many texts/emails per day (maybe a dozen or so).

I wonder if there is a way to see what is taking up the space in objects.db and trim it down somehow. Too bad Impostah does not show a database's size (or am I missing seeing this option?). Any ideas? Is there Mac app that can read objects.db? More stuff to research...

Update:
    5 days after doing the above, everything is still working well on my Pre3. objects.db is down to 74.1MB in size, so that database can shrink in size, which is good.

I wanted to give an update to my above post, which can also be viewed in more detail in the Databsae [Database] error -3962 "db: quota exceeded thread, just in case someone is not familiar with this other thread.

My Pre3's object.db and indexes.db files in /var/db/main/ started climbing in size due to (I think) Google's constant login requests for Contacts. These files really increased in size in 4 days by over 20MB and in a month by over 50MB!! In May and June, these files stayed at a fairly consistent size and only increased by about 2MB per month. If I would have done nothing, I am pretty sure I would have run into that dreaded "application database is full" warning message again.

To make a long story short, these are the steps I took to reduce my Pre3's object.db and indexes.db file sizes, which were the 2 biggest files taking up most of the space in /var/db:

1. Install the latest Google sync https fix patch (gsync-n.n.patch) in order to stop object.db and indexes.db from increasing in size even further (I had v1.1 of this patch and updated it to v1.2)

2a. Manually purge the database using the following command in Web OS Quick Install's Tools > Linux Commanline or your favorite Linux terminal app:
    Code:
    luna-send -a com.palm.configurator -f -n 1 luna://com.palm.db/purge '{}'
    2b. If you run into "Cannot allocate memory" and/or "bdb: Lock table is out of available lock entries" errors like I did when using purge, then increase maxLocks in /etc/palm/mojodb.conf from 6000 to 20000 (the default value on the Touchpad) using Internalz Pro (thank you jl85 for this tip!); then reboot and try the purge again

3. WAIT a half a day or so for webOS to automatically purge the database again and compact it, which it should have been doing all along, but for some unknown reason, stopped doing (or give the compact command a try and let us know how it works)

This is in addition to adjusting the partition sizes and increasing the quota value described in my previous post, in db: quota exceeded post #10, and in post #171.

Doing the above steps made the following file size changes on my Pre3:

Before the purge:
    - object.db: 105MB
    - indexes.db: 33.8MB
    - (Combined = 138.8MB

After the purge and waiting for compact:
    - object.db: 25.7MB
    - indexes.db: 12.0MB
    - (Combined = 37.7MB)

Since I had to manually do the purge command myself, this makes me wonder if something is not setup or configured correctly on a Pre3, like was discussed in db: quota exceede post #18 and in post #259 earlier in this thread:

- No "purgeWindow" command in /etc/palm/mojodb.conf

- I noticed that the 24h value in /etc/palm/activities/com.palm.db/com.palm.db.purge.json did not seem to cause the purge command to run automatically, or it somehow stopped working for a while on my Pre3

- Possible infrastructure issues (see post #259)

For now, I'll be keeping an eye on the size of the files in /var/db/main/, especially objects.db and indexes.db, and am glad I have a way to reduce their size again when needed.

Thank you again so much, jl85, for all of your help in keeping my Pre3 alive and working well! I was almost starting to think there for a little bit that it was almost the end of life for my trusty and wonderful Pre3, but not any more...

Now if someone could get the Preware feeds working again so that it shows the latest patch updates and any other new items, that would be wonderful! I did not know this was broken until I read the following posts:

Having a webOS SSL certificate updater app would be really nice too!

Update 8/9/2014:

My Pre3's object.db and indexes.db files in /var/db/main/ continue to drop in size on their own, reaching their lowest values I have ever seen:

- object.db: 3.51MB
    - indexes.db: 6.80MB
    - (Combined = 10.31MB)

Looks like the Purge command is working on its own.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 08/17/2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Fix typos, fix links, add update
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Third time this year I'm fighting the database almost full issue. I wish we knew what's causing it to fill up. I've eliminated an email address, and am down to sync-ing just the last two weeks, whereas previously I was syncing a full year on four accounts on my Pre2, and on the first install of my Pre3.
    Limit E-Mail to 1-day, not 2-weeks. Depending on the number of messages this would easily explain your problem. I have no experience with the Pre2, but if you are willing, try the procedure in Post #171, on your Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barebuns View Post
    Third time this year I'm fighting the database almost full issue. I wish we knew what's causing it to fill up. I've eliminated an email address, and am down to sync-ing just the last two weeks, whereas previously I was syncing a full year on four accounts on my Pre2, and on the first install of my Pre3.
    If you have a Google account, make sure to have the patch installed for it. I had all kinds of funny issues as well until I installed the patch.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I'll echo Herrie. Never had the database too full error until the whole google change came up. No matter what i did, it came right back. Then this patch was updated and I have never had the issue again.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I'll echo Herrie. Never had the database too full error until the whole google change came up. No matter what i did, it came right back. Then this patch was updated and I have never had the issue again.
    I would get this error and also TMC on my Veer regularly while I didn't get those before for almost 2 years
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    If you have a Google account, make sure to have the patch installed for it. I had all kinds of funny issues as well until I installed the patch.
    ^ i did this and removed my hotmail account, i setup hotmail to forward to my gmail account and use only gmail on my pre3/tpad and havent had any issues for a hell of a long time now.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    This is in addition to adjusting the partition sizes and increasing the quota value described in my previous post
    It means one has to follow the steps in post #171 AND these. Or following "only" these updated steps of yours 1. 2a. 2b. 3. will help in some way? I got the error twice already, and since trouble always comes in threes I'm a bit concerned..
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    I think I am missing a step in using the MojoDB Partition Resize.

When I try the "umount /media/internal" command I get "umount: can't umount /media/internal: Devise or resource busy"

I have everything on the phone turned off (GPS, bluetooth, WiFi, network, etc.). Is there anything else I need to do? My warnings have gone from "almost full" to "full", so I fear I am running out of time.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how to kill the processes which were hanging it up.
    So I got the Application Database error message this morning and am going through the wiki steps, but am too getting the device or resource busy error. How can I kill the processes?

EDIT: Nevermind, after a few resets it went through. I've got a corrupted calendar database though, if you can help with that, see my other thread.
    Last edited by broncot; 09/26/2014 at 08:10 AM.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    It means one has to follow the steps in post #171 AND these. Or following "only" these updated steps of yours 1. 2a. 2b. 3. will help in some way? I got the error twice already, and since trouble always comes in threes I'm a bit concerned..
    Sorry for my late reply -- my Pre3 has been working well since my last post here in late July 2014 (over a year ago), so I have not been back here in a while. You have to follow all of the steps, which include:

1. Resize partitions:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rtition_Resize
    (or http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki...rtition_Resize)

2. Increase quotas value:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/DB_quota_exceeded
    (or http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki/DB_quota_exceeded),
    but only do this AFTER resizing the partitions in step 1 above

3. Increase maxLocks value from 6000 to 20000 (the default value on the Touchpad) in the same file where quotas was increased

4. Install Google Calendars Sync Behaviors patch (probably the most important step for avoiding issues in the future). This now replaces the famous and very helpful "Google sync https fix" patch (gsync-1.2.patch) by Grabber5.0

5. Finally, the purge command, if needed, that is in my post that you partially quoted:

This looks like a lot of work, but is not that bad if you are careful and follow the instructions exactly. It would be nice if someone could write a patch for the quotas and maxLocks changes to make this easier and, ideally, automate the partition resizing...

Update June 7, 2016:
    My Pre3 is still working well after making the above changes way back in July 2014 (almost 2 years ago)
    Last edited by UI Designer; 06/07/2016 at 11:21 AM.
    This morning, I got the application database is almost full message. Problem: the application database is NOT almost full. /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb is only using 32.1 of 135 MB. I've looked through /var/db and can't find any large files, log files or otherwise.

In /var/db/main, the indexes.db file is 6.0M and the objects.db file is 7.5M. Seems like nothing to worry about there either.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I'm wondering if I can safely ignore the message... I guess I'll wait and see if it recurs.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    I've seen it on one device but can't remember which one it was.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums