Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Ok. Interesting turn of events. After delivering the eulogy for my phone a few posts above, I was all set to get a new one today. I had as much stuff backed up as I could over the last day (the USB drive plus some other stuff either emailed, exported, or retyped by hand).

Before I was going to head out to the store, I did a "Full Erase". The phone rebooted and I got the familiar first screen asking for a language choice. I selected English and proceeded to go through the initial setup and log back into my HP Profile. Well, it looks like everything is back to normal! I followed the developer.palm.com certificate update instructions and got that back to normal as well.

There are still some things to address, like patches and the like (e.g., can't log into Google accounts yet; Weather Channel app needs to be patched again; need to do the full-screen Pre 3 workaround for many apps, etc.), and I still need to install Preware and as many homebrew apps as I can recall. I also need to add all the USB stuff back. But all my emails are back (less the Google accounts that I haven't yet added back), as are all the typical HP Profile things (my bookmarks, calendar events, memos, etc.).

Best I can tell, my phone is back to normal. I don't recall anyone on here getting the dreaded "application database" notifications and fully recovering, but I can't be the only one, can I? And certainly I can't be the only one who recovered without taking extraordinary measures like resizing partitions, etc. can I?

Of course, I may get the warning message again today, tomorrow, or soon, but so far, it looks like my beloved Pre3 is cured. I hope I didn't just jinx things by saying that!

BTW, can someone remind me what to do/patch to get Google accounts back please?
    I like your dedication I use to have it

Still use my TP but feel I gave up when I let my pre2 go to the great TS in the sky well it's still on my desk

Enjoying your posts
    My lady's Pre 2, just two weeks after it's initial installation, came up yesterday, "The application database is full. Press Continue to restore your phone from backup" or something quite similar. It then did a full erase, rebooted, and forced us to start over. F'ing weird.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Is there a way to mass-delete old calendar entries, I never delete them and I've got thousands of them..
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    I like your dedication I use to have it

Still use my TP but feel I gave up when I let my pre2 go to the great TS in the sky well it's still on my desk

Enjoying your posts
    I'm getting there, too. My TP is essentially a picture frame in my office, though I still use it every so often. I have an old Palm Pixi on a touchstone on my desk, too, as a clock-alarm (and occasional mp3 player).

I doubt my Pre3 will live out the year as my phone. If at&t picks up the S5 mini this summer, I think that's my next phone. I don't want one of these huge 5" screen things that dominate the market right now. I like the mini line's small form. I tried out an SIII mini in the at&t store on Friday and it fit really nicely in my hand. Just a tad larger than the Pre3, but thinner and much lighter. I was convinced that would be the phone I owned as of today. I didn't expect the (what seemed to be) miraculous recovery my Pre3 made yesterday afternoon. I think the old gal deserves one more go-round.

It's been a long, strange trip. I'm still convinced that webOS would be the best mobile OS if it had kept up with the times. There are still features that are far superior to even the latest iterations of Android and iOS. However, with each passing day I feel like I'm missing out on more and more in many other areas.

My hope is that webOS proves a hit on these new LG TVs and that they, or someone else gives it another go on tablets (and maybe even cellphones). I have an older LG TV with their old Netcast interface. I like the TV, but Netcast is nothing to write home about. Their new webOS TVs are the front-runner for my next set purchase (whenever that may be).
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    It's working now, it must have been all the emails I was downloading before. I've limited to only download the past day, not every one from the beginning of time.
    How do you do this on the Pre3, I've read this

Show Email: Set how many days? worth of messages to retrieve from the server. The options are: 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, and All. on this Palm support article Palm Support : Setting up email accounts

but I don't see those options ANYWHERE.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    How do you do this on the Pre3, I've read this

Show Email: Set how many days? worth of messages to retrieve from the server. The options are: 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, and All. on this Palm support article Palm Support : Setting up email accounts

but I don't see those options ANYWHERE.
    On the Pre3, email retention period is set like this:

1. Open email.
    2. Swipe down from top left to open the menu.
    3. Select Preferences & Accounts.
    4. In the Accounts section, tap the account you want to manage. This opens the Account Settings panel.
    5. Go to the Sync section, and tap the SHOW EMAIL dropdown to select your desired retention period.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisR View Post
    5. Go to the Sync section, and tap the SHOW EMAIL dropdown to select your desired retention period.
    My Sync section is empty, there's nothing to tap.
    My Sync section is empty, there's nothing to tap.
    Hmmm... Carrier and firmware version? I'm using 2.2.4 on AT&T. Perhaps some database schema or data has been lost already?

You might want to try deleting your account (assuming it's IMAP, this should not be a big deal), rebooting, and then recreating it. This would also give you an opportunity to allow the database to trim down, and might buy you some time on the whole "database almost full" issue.
    Success on my 16Gb Pre³! I started to follow the directions on Xecutah -> Xterm, but the small text and crappy text entry was pissing me off. I followed all of the directions using linux command line on WOSQI 4.5 and had no
    problems. Went from 97% on var/db to 15%. Hopefully this fixes stuff for a bit.

I sometimes think about getting a Samsung Galaxy S5, Nexus 5, or HTC One M8, but the Pre³ is just perfect for
    me. I love its simplicity! I bought original Sprint Pre on launch month, went to FrankenPre² and love my Pre³.
    My roommate pays $130 a month to have a brand new phone on contract with Verizon every 2 years, that's
    crazy. Straight Talk is $42 a month!
    Google Translate
    In the case of HP Veer my girlfriend was receiving this message multiple times on the same day. The other day the message was similar but this time thought this should be re-validated in Palm profile after rebooting the device.
    Restarted and the phone's profile is erased and thus all applications not in sync with catalog (Preware). When the device is restarted began to ask him all the data again. He turned to validate the profile and has since made ​​him no longer to receive the message.

Spanish version
    En el caso del HP Veer 2.2.4 de mi novia le estaba apareciendo este mensaje varias veces el mismo día. El otro día el mensaje fue similar pero esta vez decia que debería volverse a validar en el perfil de Palm tras el reinicio del dispositivo.
    Reinició y se borró el perfil del teléfono y con ello todas las aplicaciones no sincronizadas con el catalogo (Preware). Cuando reinición el dispositivo este le empezo a pedir todos los datos de nuevo. Se volvió a validar en el perfil y desde entonces ya no le ha vuelto a aparecer el mensaje.

I also have a HP Veer but has never appeared this warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisR View Post
    Hmmm... Carrier and firmware version? I'm using 2.2.4 on AT&T. Perhaps some database schema or data has been lost already?

You might want to try deleting your account (assuming it's IMAP, this should not be a big deal), rebooting, and then recreating it. This would also give you an opportunity to allow the database to trim down, and might buy you some time on the whole "database almost full" issue.
    I'm also using 2.2.4 and it's on the mobile operator 3. I'm always sooo scared to remove/uninstall stuff on this phone cos you don't always get to have it back again and I wouldn't risk losing my gmail account.. I'll see how frequent the message is then decide.

EDIT: Great. As feared the damn thing won't recognise my gmail account anymore and give me the "unknown error", I'm using the two step verification process so I'm aware of the different passwords, I'll try with this patch [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in) to see if it works.

Donald is working on an easier solution that may not involve as much command line expertise, but for now, this works quite well and all you need to sacrifice is some space on your USB drive.
    Easier solution will come??
    Last edited by crowning73; 04/15/2014 at 10:20 AM.
    it took almost a week but the dreaded message is back on my touchpad. :-(
    Edit
    Did a reboot last night and so far no message, what gives?
    Last edited by tracks914; 04/16/2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Since I did not see this fully documented anywhere yet (only saw some parts of it here and there), I wanted to share my experiences with trying to overcome (and solved so far!) the following dreaded "application database is full" warning message I received on my Pre3 (AT&T) on 4/11:

> The application database is full.
    > You must restart your device. This
    > will clear the database. After restart, sign in to
    > your webOS Account to restore backed up data.

I did not do the restart ("Restart Now" button) as the above warning message recommended, but instead followed the following forum posts and wiki page to adjust the /media/internal and /var/db partition sizes (thank you for these posts!!!):

The famous post #171 in this thread:
    "The application database is almost full"?

Post #202 in this thread:

MojoDB Partition Resize - WebOS Internals

Everything went well for the first day after resizing the partitions, but then I ran into the even more DREADED "db: quota exceeded" error message, which I did not find a solution to in the forums yet, except to do a full device reset, which I wanted to avoid. The "db: quota exceeded" error message caused the following problems on my Pre3:

- Cellular data stopped working completely without any kind of error message (even toggling Airplane Mode and Phone > Prefs > Network > "Data Usage" various ways did not help restore cellular data), but Wi-Fi still worked.

- Sending and receiving Text messages stopped working without any error message, but I could still read existing Texts.

- Sending and receiving Email stopped working, but I could still read existing email. When I tried to save a Draft, then I got the "db: quota exceeded" error message.

- Photos app stopped updating so it did not show any of my new photos and screen captures, but Internalz Pro could see them.

- Saw repeated 'Failed with error "db: quota exceeded", code -3962' and "db: quota exceeded (-3962)" messages in my /var/log/messages with Muffle System Logging patch not installed.

After reading the following threads on "quota exceeded", I did not see a solution except for a trip to the Doctor or full device reset, which, again, I wanted to leave as a last resort, especially since I still had access to the command line and file system:

Email account quota exceeded and can't delete accounts:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...-accounts.html

Databsae [Database] error -3962 "db: quota exceeded":
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-exceeded.html

Post #221 by FatalException on 04/10/2014 with the same quota exceeded problem I was seeing, but again, no solution except for a trip to the Doctor:

I finally came across the following BUG report that gave me some hope of something new to try:

[BUG]db8 errorText in reached the maximum size
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17136

with the key section saying:
    > Each kind owner has a database quota.
    > If you look in /etc/palm/mojodb.conf,
    > you'll see that (as of webOS 3.0.2)
    > we set the standard quota as
    > 62,914,560 (60MB [or 60*1024*1024]).
    >
    > System kinds have a 225MB
    > [or 225*1024*1024=235,929,600] quota.
    > DB8 data is stored in /var/db,
    > a separate ext3 partition.

My Pre3's /etc/palm/mojodb.conf file has the following Quotas:

> "quotas" : [
    > {"owner":"*","size":20971520},
    > {"owner":"com.palm.*","size":78643200} <<<

which is 20MB (=20,971,520/1024/1024) and 75MB (=78,643,200/1024/1024), respectively.

My largest /var/db/main/ database sizes, when viewed in Internalz, were:
    - objects.db = 74.6MB
    - indexes.db = 23.5MB

so I can see that I am reaching that 75MB quota file size limit, which is probably causing those "db: quota exceeded" error messages.

I increased that 78643200 (=75MB) quota value in /etc/palm/mojodb.conf to 235929600 (=225MB) using InternalZ to see if that would help (earlier I had increased my /var/db partition size from 135MB to 512MB, so there should be enough room to handle this larger quota limit) and then restarted by Pre3.

Like magic, everything started working again.
    I first saw my Cellular Data signal come back, then I checked out the Photos app and all my new photos and screenshots showed up. I tested Email (set it to keep 3 days worth instead of my previous 1 months setting) and my new email showed up. Sending email and texts worked too.

I hope my Pre3 that I really like and have only been using for 6 months keeps working, and my experience described above will help someone else. Don't be afraid of the command line -- copy and paste with the "Web OS Quick Install" (http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-5-0-a.html) Linux Command Line (under the Tools menu) is your friend. So are these forums! Thank you, everyone who sharing your experiences here, so that our devices can live (survive) another day, week, month, year...

Now I'll have to keep an eye out on the file size of /var/db/main/objects.db and try to find out what is causing it to grow. It has already grown from 74.6MB to 76.0MB (increase of 1.4MB) in about 5 hours after doing the above and I don't even get that many texts/emails per day (maybe a dozen or so).

I wonder if there is a way to see what is taking up the space in objects.db and trim it down somehow. Too bad Impostah does not show a database's size (or am I missing seeing this option?). Any ideas? Is there Mac app that can read objects.db? More stuff to research...

Update:
    5 days after doing the above, everything is still working well on my Pre3. objects.db is down to 74.1MB in size, so that database can shrink in size, which is good.
    tracks914 and Rnp like this.
    I had this very same problem with my Pre3 beginning in early March. I also had some strange symptoms such as the phone refusing to connect to VZW for data purposes. Oddly enough turning Bluetooth On/Off fixed that problem (I normally have Bluetooth off). Other symptoms were: E-Mail stopped completely; Phone calls were no longer being recorded in the history log; Messaging stopped and messages could not be deleted; Calendar entries could not be edited or deleted; New Photos could not be viewed (except by Internalz Pro). In other words, anything that used the mojodb could not modify/enlarge it at all. I was pretty sure there was a quota limit issue with the DB but did not know where to change it.

About the only interesting thing I got from the above experience was that the battery lasted much longer with no data coming in from E-Mail and messages. This is probably due to the fact that the Notification flasher was not being triggered. I know there is a patch to turn it off, but I like the notification feature so I don't have that patch installed.

Many thanks to UI Designer for tracking this vital piece of information down. I have edited my Post #171 in this thread to add a new Part 4 to the instructions which includes the vital missing link about expanding the quota limit.

I hope this will give Pre3 users what they need to be able to continue using this great phone.
    Last edited by jrwolff; 04/23/2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
    Oddly enough turning Bluetooth On/Off fixed that problem (I normally have Bluetooth off). Other symptoms were: E-Mail stopped completely; Phone calls were no longer being recorded in the history log; Messaging stopped and messages could not be deleted; Calendar entries could not be edited or deleted; New Photos could not be viewed (except by Internalz Pro). In other words, anything that used the mojodb could not modify/enlarge it at all
    I got the same issue, the symptons exactly as described, unfortunately the phone shut down by itself and it forced me to re-singup to my palm profile deleting most of the stuff, now I got almost everything back, but the calendar isn't working entries cannot be modified, can't be made nor deleted. If anyone has a clue give us a shout. Turning bluetooth on doesn't solve the issue unfortunately.
    I got the same issue, the symptons exactly as described, unfortunately the phone shut down by itself and it forced me to re-singup to my palm profile deleting most of the stuff, now I got almost everything back, but the calendar isn't working entries cannot be modified, can't be made nor deleted. If anyone has a clue give us a shout. Turning bluetooth on doesn't solve the issue unfortunately.
    I suggest that you follow all of the instructions in Post #171 to fix everything permanently or else this will definitely come back again. The simple edit to the mojodb.conf file fixed all application symptoms. The Bluetooth toggle just fixed the incoming Data problem with VZW, nothing else. I found that by accident within a couple of days of everything stopping.

By the way, an interesting observation on my Pre3 prior to increasing the quota limit was that the size of indexes.db was 73.9MB, but objects.db was way up to 150MB. This makes me think that the quota limit applys to the indexes.db size and not to the objects.db size. After applying the larger quota limit and everything turning back on, I noticed an increase in the indexes.db size to 74.xMB, but objects.db remained at 150MB. (I enlarged my partition to 971MB over a year ago.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
    I suggest that you follow all of the instructions in Post #171 to fix everything permanently
    Unfortunately not for me, way too much command line expertise, two billion things could go wrong for someone like me, I'd rather have that problem coming back again to be honest. For now if someone has a solution to fix the non-modifiability of the calendar kindly post your options.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Ok. Interesting turn of events. After delivering the eulogy for my phone a few posts above, I was all set to get a new one today. I had as much stuff backed up as I could over the last day (the USB drive plus some other stuff either emailed, exported, or retyped by hand).

Before I was going to head out to the store, I did a "Full Erase". The phone rebooted and I got the familiar first screen asking for a language choice. I selected English and proceeded to go through the initial setup and log back into my HP Profile. Well, it looks like everything is back to normal! I followed the developer.palm.com certificate update instructions and got that back to normal as well.

There are still some things to address, like patches and the like (e.g., can't log into Google accounts yet; Weather Channel app needs to be patched again; need to do the full-screen Pre 3 workaround for many apps, etc.), and I still need to install Preware and as many homebrew apps as I can recall. I also need to add all the USB stuff back. But all my emails are back (less the Google accounts that I haven't yet added back), as are all the typical HP Profile things (my bookmarks, calendar events, memos, etc.).

Best I can tell, my phone is back to normal. I don't recall anyone on here getting the dreaded "application database" notifications and fully recovering, but I can't be the only one, can I? And certainly I can't be the only one who recovered without taking extraordinary measures like resizing partitions, etc. can I?

Of course, I may get the warning message again today, tomorrow, or soon, but so far, it looks like my beloved Pre3 is cured. I hope I didn't just jinx things by saying that!

BTW, can someone remind me what to do/patch to get Google accounts back please?
    It's been almost two weeks, and except for losing a couple of old apps ("box.net client for webOS" for example), everything seems to be back to normal. Save/Restore helped with some data. Lost my "Track My Weight" data (but had that backed up elsewhere); lost my "UberRadio" station list; lost my "drPodder HB" feeds; had to reinstall "nDrive" and 2gb of maps. Life's so rough, isn't it?
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    This whole issue seems very curious to me, because from what I've read, and what I've experienced, I feel like the issue is not really about the size of the db's. It seems like it may be more an issue of recently ocurring infrastructure issues, perhaps the result of the deprication of core services that webOS relies on,or apps no longer being maintained, thereby causing log-flooding, which (by poor design perhaps) ends up filling log and db's and causing this issue to rear its head. (in my work world I never allow my logs to exceed a max entry limit to protect the system from this very issue. Oldest entries roll off and are lost, but at least I'll never be troubleshooting a dead system) Of course different systems have different needs and trade-offs, so I don't presume developer stupidity.

My Pre3 was only a month old, and had very few apps installed, with a fresh profile, and no photo's, music, or other files transferred to it. I never took the plunge to try to apply my FrankenPre2's profile to the new phone. Luckily, this was a blessing perhaps, as I really didn't lose much and I didn't risk my 4 year old shared TP and pre/frankenpre2 profile.

Now I can't recall if I may have chosen "all" in the new email retention settings on the new phone, so it "could" have been that. When I Dr'd it, I decided to use one month, for caution's sake. So far no recurrence with it. My TP has not ever experienced this, and its been set for "all" for many years now. I've also had the reduced logging/ muffle logs etc. patches on the TP, which perhaps has an impact on the likelihood of this occurring. I may not have applied all of these on the new Pre3 initially.

I wonder if some of you who have had this happen, and may have the wherewithal to have dug into the logs might be able to identify why seemingly recently, this has been occurring more frequently, especially on newly activated devices. While the logging should never have been allowed to overflow the db space, I wonder if we're not seeing this recently due to increasingly under-maintained core services / apps/ that can flood logs and hit limits that were never anticipated in a "properly" functional ecosystem.
    Last edited by hulickr; 04/24/2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: typo's
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    I experienced the same issue twice this month but never before. My cryptodb got full and I had to eventually resrtart the phone doing actually a forced full erase on the device. At first I thought that seems logical to get this message on my pre3 after two years of use. The strange thing is that after 20 days only, the message popped up again so I had to undergo the same process again.

What troubles me is that I had this phone for two years running flawlessly, having received many emails, plenty of messaging and calls without even erasing any of these data but recently, in just 20 days after the first full erase, I got the same message again.

I m certain that this is not a standard behavior and increasing the cryptodb storage is not the solution, it just delays the problem from reappearing. Without having the knowledge of webOS inner workings, and what cryptodb is used for, I would blame some patch I recently installed or the recent transition of some Google's services in using encrypted http protocol which in turn, now tells to webOS that this is encrypted content so cryptodb should be used for storing it.

I really do not know how to deal with it or what causes it. As first I doctored the phone in order to get rid off any possible patches that could cause it, then I increased the size of cryptodb and I observe its state daily while I try to do some clean up of any non important mail or message.

For the past 3 days things seem to be stable as follows:

_______________________ Total | Used | Free __________
    Day 1:
    /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb 645.7M | 23.0M | 622.6M 4% /var/db
    Day 2:
    /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb 645.7M | 25.4M | 620.3M 4% /var/db
    Day 3:
    /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb 645.7M | 24.1M | 621.6M 4% /var/db

For the coming days, I will stop cleaning up the inboxes to see how the cryptodb size will behave.