Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    On Monday night / Tuesday morning, I started getting this error. I did some research online, and sure enough, when I checked my /var/db/main directory, I found that objects.db had grown to over 50 megabytes. Additionally, it was growing at about a megabyte an hour. I followed some instructions to resize the /var/db partition to 500 megabytes to buy some time, but this didn't really do anything. The errors stopped showing up, but most of my apps stopped working. Checking the logs, I found that everything was logging that the DB quota was exceeded.

Last night, I doctored the phone, and everything's working just fine. I even signed in to my existing webos account. I've been (compulsively) checking the /var/db/main/objects.db file, and while its size fluctuates, it's never gone above 5.1 megabytes. Here's what I had to do after doctoring:

1. Set the clock back to June 1st, 2013
    2. Install the app catalog update
    3. Try to sign in to my google accounts. Fail. Curse a lot.
    4. Apply the google sync fix patch*
    5. Sign back in to all of my accounts

*Now, I didn't have the palm SDK on hand, and I am in a hotel with awful wifi, so I couldn't really apply the google sync patch as intended. But, I did have novaterm. So, in novaterm, I used vi to manually "apply" the patch. And by manually apply, I mean I opened those three files and made the changes myself. Not a great solution, sure, but I can sign back into my google accounts!
    My touchpad started doing this a few days ago. Reboot works for a few hours but warning comes back. There must be a fix to this. Could it be related to the Google gmail problem? (sticking the device in a loop trying to log in?)
    Does removing apps help? I have a fw that I never use.

It seems to be happening to more users. I am hoping for a fix, soon????
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    There are threads on here devoted to this dating back to at least 2011, perhaps 2010. But with the community shrinking faster than a wool sweater in a hot washer/dryer I wouldn't hold my breath... At least not for a permanent solution.

I do want to sincerely say that I very much admire and am grateful for the dedication and ingenuity of many of the webOS faithful here who have sustained us through their innovation and hard work after we were left hanging by HP. However, this one seems to be over the edge. The only fixes to date have either set the clock back a bit or move the goal posts. Certainly nothing geared to my level of knowledge like a simple installable patch seems to be anywhere on the horizon. Unless something like that happens in the next 12 hours, I must (sadly and reluctantly!) move on. I need a phone.

Whether it be on a TV, tablet, or phone though, I look forward to a reborn webOS for us non-techies in the near future!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    crazybirdman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mohaynes View Post
    +1
    +1
    Last night I deleted a bunch of apps (mostly games) that I rarely if ever use. It,s been about 12 hours now an no return of the dreaded warning.
    Weird thing is I haven't installed an new app in almost a year.???
    I'll keep you posted.
    Today in the morning the "application database is almost full" message starts on my Pre3 too :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
    Assuming you have Preware installed this is the only premanent solution, there is no patch yet; it uses Xecutah/XTerm; Tailor is useful to view results but not essential to the solution. It should work on a TouchPad also. TouchPads have twice the memory allocated to the MojoDB compared to a Pre3, so are less likely to get the error. You will need a magnifying glass to read the XTerm screen results and command lines. Type carefully and inspect each command line before pressing Return. I also recommend cutting the E-Mail tracking down to only 1-Day to help avoid this problem, if you do not do this procedure.

Original Credit to Dkirker; modified, clarified and enhanced by jrwolff; tested succesfully on a Pre3 by jrwolff:

MojoDB (Application Database) Partition Resize - Pre3

For Command Lines Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.

#Pre3 File System Mount Point Size/Used Called/Purpose
    #/dev/mapper/store-root / 559.1M/428.3M
    #/dev/root /boot 31.0M/13.4M
    #/dev/mapper/store-media /media/interval 12.8G/1.4G <== (Source of Space) (Fat32 File System - USB Drive)
    #/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb /var/db 135.0M/116.1M<== (Expansion Target) /dev/mapper/mojodb (db8: Application Database)
    #/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache /var/file-cache 127.5M/67.3M (Stores Contact Pictures & E-Mail Attachments)
    #/dev/mapper/store-log /var/log 23.2M/15.8M
    #/dev/mapper/store-var /var 62.0M/19.2M
    #/dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update 62.0M/19.2M (Mounted on /var)
    #/dev/loop0 /opt 124.0M/80.2M

# BEGIN

# Make sure that the Battery is Fully Charged for this Procedure.
    # Turn Off All Radios and Place the Phone in Airplane Mode to Prevent Interruptions and Data File corruption.

# Check Current Partition Usage (Pipe to "more" to Control the Display):
    df -h | more (To Enter the Pipe "|" Symbol On the Pre3 Keyboard: Sym P)
    # OR
    df -h /dev/mapper/store-media
    df -h /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Resize & Increase the /var/db (/dev/mapper/mojodb) MojoDB Partition from 135MB to >=768MB:

## Part 1 - Shrink the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) "USB Drive" File System Partition Size from 12.8G

# Stop the cryptofs Service; i.e., "pause" it.
    pkill -SIGUSR1 cryptofs

# Unmount the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) "USB Drive" File System Partition.
    umount /media/internal

# Check the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) USB File System for Errors.
    f s c k.vfat -r /dev/mapper/store-media
    # Eliminate spaces for the "f s c k" command name; added to get past the mechanized moderator.

# If there are any Differences between Boot Sector and Backup, then Copy Original to Backup (Option 1).

# Shrink the USB Partition (Replace "12.8G" with the new reduced amount of space, Recommend 12.0G; the Partition is 12.8G by Default)
    # Note: Wait for the 100% Complete message and a prompt.
    resizefat -v /dev/mapper/store-media 12.0G

# Reduce the USB Logical Volume Size; i.e., Make the "Physical" Disk Smaller. (12.0G is the **SAME** number as above.)
    # Note: Type "y" after Reduce Media WARNING and prompt.
    lvreduce -L 12.0G /dev/mapper/store-media

# Remount the /media/internal (/dev/mapper/store-media) "USB Drive" File System Partition.
    mount /media/internal

# Restart the cryptofs Service.
    pkill -SIGUSR2 cryptofs

# Recommended: Do A Full Device Restart; after Rebooting Continue with Part 2 below.

## Part 2 - Increase the /var/db (Application Database) Encrypted File System Partition Size

# Recommended: Use Tailor to easily Confirm the actual amount of Unused Memory Space & Use that Number less 8MB with lvextend below.

# [Optional: After Rebooting and using Tailor, Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.]

# Stop the MojoDB Service.
    /sbin/stop mojodb

# Unmount the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System Partition.
    umount /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Extend the (/dev/mapper/store-mojodb) MojoDB File System By Adding 768MB (12.8G-12.0G).
    # The Plus sign (+) is important because it Adds the newly available space to the existing space.
    lvextend -L +768M /dev/mapper/store-mojodb

# Extend the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) Encrypted File System Size Up To the New Limit Now Available.
    cryptsetup resize /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Resize the Underlying /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) Encrypted File System.
    resize2fs -f -p /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Remount the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System and Partition.
    mount /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Restart the MojoDB Service.
    /sbin/start mojodb

# Exit XTerm/Xecutah
    exit

# Do A Full Device Restart.

## Part 3 - After Rebooting, Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.

# Verify that the New File System/Partition Size of /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) is >= 971.9M.
    df -h /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
    df -h /var/db

# Check the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System for Errors.
    f s c k.ext3 -n -f /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb

# Exit XTerm/Xecutah
    exit

# Use Tailor to Confirm that there is minimal Unused Memory Space, like 8MB.

# Turn Off Airplane Mode and Turn On Radios (Wi-Fi, Data Connection, etc.).

# FINISHED.

=======================================================================================

My TouchPad Info Before Changes:

#TouchPad File System Mount Point Size/Used Called/Purpose
    #/dev/mapper/store-root / 559.1M/453.2M
    #/dev/root /boot 31.0M/22.5M
    #/dev/mapper/store-media /media/interval 27.6G/1.9G <== (Source of Space) (USB Drive)

#/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb /var/db 247.0M/50.3M <== (Expansion Target) /dev/mapper/mojodb (db8: Application Database)
    #/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache /var/file-cache 127.5M/117.0M (Stores Contact Pictures & E-Mail Attachments)
    #/dev/mapper/store-log /var/log 23.2M/8.1M
    #/dev/mapper/store-var /var 62.0M/48.0M
    #/dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update 62.0M/48.0M (Mounted on /var)
    #/dev/loop0 /opt 124.0M/80.2M

---------------------------------------

Good Luck!
    W... o... w...

This scare my heart, but works!!!

Thank you, very much!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Wow seems like an epidemic lately. Knocks on wood....
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    Ok. Interesting turn of events. After delivering the eulogy for my phone a few posts above, I was all set to get a new one today. I had as much stuff backed up as I could over the last day (the USB drive plus some other stuff either emailed, exported, or retyped by hand).

Before I was going to head out to the store, I did a "Full Erase". The phone rebooted and I got the familiar first screen asking for a language choice. I selected English and proceeded to go through the initial setup and log back into my HP Profile. Well, it looks like everything is back to normal! I followed the developer.palm.com certificate update instructions and got that back to normal as well.

There are still some things to address, like patches and the like (e.g., can't log into Google accounts yet; Weather Channel app needs to be patched again; need to do the full-screen Pre 3 workaround for many apps, etc.), and I still need to install Preware and as many homebrew apps as I can recall. I also need to add all the USB stuff back. But all my emails are back (less the Google accounts that I haven't yet added back), as are all the typical HP Profile things (my bookmarks, calendar events, memos, etc.).

Best I can tell, my phone is back to normal. I don't recall anyone on here getting the dreaded "application database" notifications and fully recovering, but I can't be the only one, can I? And certainly I can't be the only one who recovered without taking extraordinary measures like resizing partitions, etc. can I?

Of course, I may get the warning message again today, tomorrow, or soon, but so far, it looks like my beloved Pre3 is cured. I hope I didn't just jinx things by saying that!

BTW, can someone remind me what to do/patch to get Google accounts back please?
    -carldc

PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Wow, it must be an epidemic. I might need to put on my tinfoil hat, but I too started getting the database almost full message out of the blue in the last few days.

Is it Uncle Leo, coming back from the grave to ruin my life one more time? Or an HP plot to reduce the user count so they can justify killing off the last of their services to the OS faithful? More likely, this OS was not designed with the idea that we would be still running the same phones so many years later

I have no problem nuking the Pre 2, but is there now a Gmail issue using the device as well? Will a full erase solve the problem?

Sigh
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    What the hell? My Veer started on this just yesterday. Epidemic or self-destruct mechanism?
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Wow, it must be an epidemic. I might need to put on my tinfoil hat, but I too started getting the database almost full message out of the blue in the last few days.

Is it Uncle Leo, coming back from the grave to ruin my life one more time? Or an HP plot to reduce the user count so they can justify killing off the last of their services to the OS faithful? More likely, this OS was not designed with the idea that we would be still running the same phones so many years later

I have no problem nuking the Pre 2, but is there now a Gmail issue using the device as well? Will a full erase solve the problem?

Sigh
    Google changed their contact feed to require https. It also affects password changes and new account setups. See my patch thread for the fix.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/12/2014 at 08:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Got it. Thanks much!
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    Next morning update. All is not completely well, though the problem is not with the phone...
    I fired up WOSQI to reinstall Preware. I put my Pre 3 in dev mode and connected to my computer ("Just Charge"). WOSQI recognized the Pre 3, but when I clicked on the globe icon to search for Preware and other apps and patches, it came up blank: "No Programs Found". I tried the "Reinstall Novacom drivers" option to see it that was the problem. It seemed to reinstall, but that didn't help (plus, the installation download was only 5-something Mb, and I seem to remember it was 200-something in the past -- am I imagining that?).
    I managed to find an old Preware self-installer at preware.org which worked, so I DO have Preware. That brings up the next problem -- only 500+ apps are showing, where I had several thousand on Preware before all this. I remembered App Tuckerbox, but it failed to register my device.
    I'm mostly concerned with the WOSQI problem. Has anyone come across this? It's never failed me before, but I've tried it on two computers now and still no apps listed. I'd much appreciate any help there.
    One good thing is that I did manage to get the Google and Weather Channel patches reinstalled via Internalz Pro.
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    I noticed on a thread discussing Preware that someone else got the database full message. It appears to be even more widespread.
    I'm beginning to wonder if there is some behind-the-scenes connection to the Palm feeds announcement and the troubles with WOSQI and App Tuckerbox.
    I know none of these could cause the database full error by themselves, but could there be something to tie all these together?
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Next morning update. All is not completely well, though the problem is not with the phone...
    I fired up WOSQI to reinstall Preware. I put my Pre 3 in dev mode and connected to my computer ("Just Charge"). WOSQI recognized the Pre 3, but when I clicked on the globe icon to search for Preware and other apps and patches, it came up blank: "No Programs Found". I tried the "Reinstall Novacom drivers" option to see it that was the problem. It seemed to reinstall, but that didn't help (plus, the installation download was only 5-something Mb, and I seem to remember it was 200-something in the past -- am I imagining that?).
    I managed to find an old Preware self-installer at preware.org which worked, so I DO have Preware. That brings up the next problem -- only 500+ apps are showing, where I had several thousand on Preware before all this. I remembered App Tuckerbox, but it failed to register my device.
    I'm mostly concerned with the WOSQI problem. Has anyone come across this? It's never failed me before, but I've tried it on two computers now and still no apps listed. I'd much appreciate any help there.
    One good thing is that I did manage to get the Google and Weather Channel patches reinstalled via Internalz Pro.
    Preware was down and should now be back. That may have been why WOSQI couldn't find anything.
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    Last I checked, WOSQI wasn't finding anything even after I got Preware working. I'll check again.
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    Yes. WOSQI is working again. Not sure why, but that not working bothered me more than anything (even after getting Preware back by another route).
    -carldc