Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Hi everyone, if there's anyone still reading this...

This morning I suddenly got the "application database is almost full" message on my (un-doctored, preware installed) HP Pre3.

I looked up the error, but was at work so I couldn't do anything except run a System backup. The message showed up three or four times, and then suddenly shut down my phone without me pressing anything. And now it's locked in a Luna restart loop, and won't do anything except show me the blinking HP logo for hours.

I've tried connecting it to my computer (QuickInstall and Doctor say that there's no device connected), restarting it, pulling out the battery, changing SIM cards, leaving it for ages, basically everything possible to just get out of the restart loop.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to save the phone? Or even just get to a point where I can play with the settings or do something else recommended earlier in this thread... I'd really appreciate any useful advice at this stage! Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
    ## Part 3 - After Rebooting, Use Xecutah, From there: Start XTerm.

# Verify that the New File System/Partition Size of /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb) is >= 971.9M.
    df -h /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
    df -h /var/db

# Check the /var/db (/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb = /dev/mapper/mojodb) Encrypted File System for Errors.
    f s c k.ext3 -n -f /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
    My only comment here is that I would suggest stopping mojodb and umounting /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb before running a check on the volume (even when specifying no changes to be made, as directed with -n). After the check, it's a simple matter to mount the filesystem again and start mojodb.

Thanks so much for this. I temporarily beefed up my IMAP period, and I have a lot of email coming into my account. I was looking for something which was just outside my normal 2-week window, but forgot to roll the setting back. A week or so later (today), I got hit with the "getting full" issue, and took immediate action to rectify the situation. For a *nix hacker like me, this was all very logical, and the procedure worked like a charm. The hardest part was reading the tiny font on my Pre3...LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalibu View Post
    This morning I suddenly got the "application database is almost full" message on my (un-doctored, preware installed) HP Pre3.

I looked up the error, but was at work so I couldn't do anything except run a System backup. The message showed up three or four times, and then suddenly shut down my phone without me pressing anything. And now it's locked in a Luna restart loop, and won't do anything except show me the blinking HP logo for hours.
    Did you manage to make any headway with this? I have an almost-bricked Pre3 on my desk (different issue). Just wondering whether you were finally able to gain access to the device in USB mode perhaps.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I think I am missing a step in using the MojoDB Partition Resize.

When I try the "umount /media/internal" command I get "umount: can't umount /media/internal: Devise or resource busy"

I have everything on the phone turned off (GPS, bluetooth, WiFi, network, etc.). Is there anything else I need to do? My warnings have gone from "almost full" to "full", so I fear I am running out of time.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how to kill the processes which were hanging it up.
    Last edited by dgcorn; 04/06/2014 at 08:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    It always scares the hell out of me to mess with command prompts. Thanks for the step-by-step dkirker - I think I may have saved the Pre3 for another day.
    My wife's Veer started getting the "application database is full" error message, and before I could get to it the phone reset. So, since I had done this successfully on my Pre 3 and TP, I figured I might as well adjust her mojodb size anyway so that it didn't happen again.

I used Tailor on device to reduce the size of /media/internal by 600Mb, but when I went to try to increase cryptodb using the instructions by D. Kirker on the Webos Internals Wiki and got the error message that no such file exists?

Is mojodb in a different location on the Veer than it is on the Pre 3 and TP?

Any help on modifying the commands to work for the Veer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    It always scares the hell out of me to mess with command prompts. Thanks for the step-by-step dkirker - I think I may have saved the Pre3 for another day.
    Well, it may not have gone off without a hitch afterall. Since doing the resizing of the partitions, I have had a couple issues. First, the icon for H+ does not show up on the top bar all of the time like it used to. Second, and most importantly, I can only send and receive text messages intermittently.

In order to unmount media/internal I had to kill two unknown processes (909 and 4048). I'm not sure if that makes a difference one way or the other.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalibu View Post
    Hi everyone, if there's anyone still reading this...

I've tried connecting it to my computer (QuickInstall and Doctor say that there's no device connected), restarting it, pulling out the battery, changing SIM cards, leaving it for ages, basically everything possible to just get out of the restart loop.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to save the phone? Or even just get to a point where I can play with the settings or do something else recommended earlier in this thread... I'd really appreciate any useful advice at this stage! Cheers
    Mine just did the same thing this morning, except it never warned me and just said it was full and that I had to reboot and log back into my profile. Since then its stuck in the boot loop. Anyone have a suggestion or keyboard sequence to force a different boot option?
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    I got the message yesterday and the pre2 did a full reset. I managed to get Preware working again but lost some apps to "403" response. I also can't log into Yahoo, LinkedIn or Google now (the google sync patch won't install with webOS saying the internals are down or something). I think this phone is becoming more trouble than its worth, but will give it a few days before throwing in the towel.
    Good luck to all on this
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hulickr View Post
    Mine just did the same thing this morning, except it never warned me and just said it was full and that I had to reboot and log back into my profile. Since then its stuck in the boot loop. Anyone have a suggestion or keyboard sequence to force a different boot option?
    UPDATE: I was eventually able to activate recovery mode by doing the battery pull, and then plugging in USB, holding volume up and inserting the battery (which is a pain to do on a pre3 since the volume buttons are not easily activated when the back cover is off ) How To Recover - WebOS Internals

I could start the doctor at this point and it restored.

Quick recap while fresh in my mind, for anyone encountering this recently:

-Logged back into my profile,
    -added back passwords for existing accounts (of course I couldn't log into my Google account, since that requires a patch since last week, but I added my other account passwords.
    -Turn off network time and set the date back to last year.
    -Add the App Catalog update.
    -Set the network date/time on again.
    -Restored the app catalog.
    -Then update the app catalog again.
    -Then update the apps that failed to update from my profile.
    -Used WOSQI to install Preware.
    Since I had not installed save/restore on my phone yet, (Shame on me) I now have to remember what patches and Preware apps I had settled on during the first couple weeks after I got my new phone. :-(

At least I have it working again, I seem to only have lost today's sms conversations (from my FrankenPre which is thankfully still active on a different profile,)

Don't really know what caused it in the first place. Will have to study this thread more to see if I can prevent it, I only had a few apps installed and the phone was only a month old.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    I think this phone is becoming more trouble than its worth, but will give it a few days before throwing in the towel.
    Good luck to all on this
    I'm right there with you. It may be time to move on.

I got the database full error, and did the workaround. deleted a bunch of unneeded log files and such, but i still can't send or receive text messages, or emails.
    Anyone else have this problem or know a fix for it?
    Have you tried signing in with a new profile temporarily to see if the problem is cause by something in your profile?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It's worth a shot. How do i do that? And would it erase my data?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I followed the the step-by-step dkirker- all worked fine but.... now cannot add/delete to calender, memo, contacts, send texts and despite full reboot still got msfg that database is full. Using Pre3 v 2.2.4. Its a 8Gb & says 0.7G available. I have a 1-2G of music that I could release. would this help &/or what is the solution?

Pre resizing the dev/mapper/store-crytodb was 135.0M = 93% used , post was 85%

The dev/mapper/stroe-media was 5.5G pre then 4 posy but with only 652M spare

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    It's worth a shot. How do i do that? And would it erase my data?
    Generally, yes, but I lost track of who was who and thought your data already got erased. There are ways to switch profiles without erasing the phone, but that would not help if the problem lies there because the data would still be there. If you do, make sure you have a current backup. Don't do it unless you are sure you want to.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    eh, i don't know. Sounds like nothing is working for people. If Doctoring doesn't help, and it's tied to my profile, it seems that it'll be a problem I'm stuck with as long as i stick with my Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    Well, it may not have gone off without a hitch afterall. Since doing the resizing of the partitions, I have had a couple issues. First, the icon for H+ does not show up on the top bar all of the time like it used to. Second, and most importantly, I can only send and receive text messages intermittently.

In order to unmount media/internal I had to kill two unknown processes (909 and 4048). I'm not sure if that makes a difference one way or the other.

Any ideas?
    Same issue here:

Lack of consistent text;
    Switching from Wi-Fi to cell data failed (need to switch to airplane mode and back again, with Wi-Fi off);
    Inconsistent BT connection to touchpad;
    All email stopped (in/out; all accounts)

In short, time for The Doctor.

While I did back up the entire USB partition, all of that was preserved, and thanks to Matt's patch here: [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in), setting the phone up again was pretty straightforward. (Tip: follow Adam's guide, here: The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation.)

As for your earlier mention of command prompts, I guess I'm the opposite (except for reading tiny fonts): I've been a hacker since before the PC came to market, learning to program on Litton minicomputers in the 1970's. I also spend a good deal of my consulting time on Linux. To me, a gui is just a clever way of masking a number of (hopefully) seldom used options and displaying a more pleasing interface to the user, but not necessarily a more functional one. ;-)
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    eh, i don't know. Sounds like nothing is working for people. If Doctoring doesn't help, and it's tied to my profile, it seems that it'll be a problem I'm stuck with as long as i stick with my Pre2.
    I just joined the club! Got the "almost full" notice this morning several times on my Pre 3. Got a "full" notice as I am typing this. Everything I've read here suggests that this is a one-way ticket to a new phone (especially for a non-techie like me). The one thing I remember seeing here some time ago is not to do an immediate restart. That seems to send a lot of people into a restart loop (or some other disaster). I did manage to hook up to my computer this morning and save everything possible in USB Drive mode.
    I'll be going to the AT&T store tomorrow to look at Android or Windows phones. Anyone have any suggestions for one that's small (4.5" or smaller screen) but relatively new and feature-rich?
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    I just joined the club! Got the "almost full" notice this morning several times on my Pre 3. Got a "full" notice as I am typing this. Everything I've read here suggests that this is a one-way ticket to a new phone (especially for a non-techie like me). The one thing I remember seeing here some time ago is not to do an immediate restart. That seems to send a lot of people into a restart loop (or some other disaster). I did manage to hook up to my computer this morning and save everything possible in USB Drive mode.
    I'll be going to the AT&T store tomorrow to look at Android or Windows phones. Anyone have any suggestions for one that's small (4.5" or smaller screen) but relatively new and feature-rich?
    One of the reasons I left my frankinpre2 behind a year ago.

Went to an iPhone 5 then a 5s it's Rich in webOS features
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Sinking fast. Email doesn't work. Can't delete memos. No [H+] icon (or any phone icon), though phone still works. I went to the AT&T store this afternoon. The Galaxy SIII Mini feels really good in my hand. S4 feels too big. I wish they had the S4 mini. iPhone is not entirely out of the question (my wife likes hers). I'll have a new phone by tomorrow afternoon.
    TouchPad still works fine so I'm not entirely out of the webOS environment.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)