Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    use tailor to reduce your media/internal partition then try the second part as "normal".
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    use tailor to reduce your media/internal partition then try the second part as "normal".
    Thank you.
    That did the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwolff View Post
    resizefat -v /dev/mapper/store-media 12.0G
    When running this command via the xterm on my Pre3, it gets to 100% and then kills the xterm. Of course since the file system isn't mounted anymore, you can't launch another xterm. It works via novaterm just great.
    Of course xterm would crash. CryptoFS is sourced from the media partition.
    You should never resize or otherwise edit live (mounted) partitions. Too dangerous. It can even lead to irrecoverable inconsistencies which in turn would lead to absolute data loss.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Always use the installer ramdisk when editing disks. It's rescue mode for webOS. It's also the only place to run file system checks manually without things potentially blowing up.
    But it's weird, shouldn't resizefat complain about editing a live filesystem?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Of course xterm would crash. CryptoFS is sourced from the media partition.
    it's funny then that the original instructions mentioned doing it via xterm on a Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    it's funny then that the original instructions mentioned doing it via xterm on a Pre3.
    I had no problems using Xterm for the procedure. It did not blow up for me on any step, I took the precautions to turn off any distracting radios so E-Mail, for example, did not intrude on this very delicate process. See the prep instructions at the beginning of the procedure post.

Note: Although I listed ny TouchPad stats at the end of the procedure, I have not done this to my TouchPad as it does not seem to need it due to more space being available in the first place for the MojoDB.
    I turned off the radios and followed the instructions in the post. In retrospect, it makes sense why xterm was getting killed - there probably was a page fault and the needed blocks couldn't be read because the file system was unmounted. It would also complicate matters if some of the data needed was in the process of being moved around.

There was much less squinting when using novaterm too.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I'm getting this dreaded error after doctoring a few months ago. I'm running a verizon Pre2.
    Here is the df. Looks like the /dev/mapper/store-root is large and mojo db. what is the store-root file? Will the workaround fix this? Thanks for your thoughts.
    df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.5M 19.5M 37% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 394.2M 47.5M 89% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 394.2M 47.5M 89% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 180.0K 1.8M 9% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    62.0M 13.6M 48.4M 22% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-mojodb
    139.5M 100.6M 38.9M 72% /var/db
    /dev/mapper/store-filecache
    127.5M 84.3M 43.2M 66% /var/file-cache
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    23.2M 9.0M 14.3M 39% /var/log
    tmpfs 32.0M 164.0K 31.8M 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 16.0M 52.0K 15.9M 0% /var/run
    tmpfs 32.0M 12.0K 32.0M 0% /var/tmp
    tmpfs 246.4M 0 246.4M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    14.3G 2.4G 12.0G 17% /media/internal
    cryptofs 14.3G 2.4G 12.0G 17% /media/cryptofs
    tmpfs 32.0M 164.0K 31.8M 1% /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_fo
    rward
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    I'm getting this dreaded error after doctoring a few months ago. I'm running a verizon Pre2.
    Here is the df. Looks like the /dev/mapper/store-root is large and mojo db. what is the store-root file? Will the workaround fix this? Thanks for your thoughts.
    df -h
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    62.0M 13.6M 48.4M 22% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-mojodb
    139.5M 100.6M 38.9M 72% /var/db
    127.5M 84.3M 43.2M 66% /var/file-cache
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    23.2M 9.0M 14.3M 39% /var/log
    tmpfs 32.0M 164.0K 31.8M 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 16.0M 52.0K 15.9M 0% /var/run
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    14.3G 2.4G 12.0G 17% /media/internal
    cryptofs 14.3G 2.4G 12.0G 17% /media/cryptofs
    tmpfs 32.0M 164.0K 31.8M 1% /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_fo
    rward
    Well, I took the plunge. here is the post-procedure files. Looks like the partitions have changed. Not the friendliest of procedures and the pre 2's partition names are not exactly the same as those listed in http://http://www.webos-internals.or...rtition_Resize. We'll see if it worked!

/dev/mapper/store-root
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    62.0M 13.4M 48.6M 22% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-mojodb
    502.9M 89.0M 414.0M 18% /var/db
    127.5M 86.1M 41.4M 68% /var/file-cache
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    23.2M 9.1M 14.2M 39% /var/log
    tmpfs 32.0M 160.0K 31.8M 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 16.0M 48.0K 16.0M 0% /var/run
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    14.3G 2.3G 12.0G 16% /media/internal
    cryptofs 14.3G 2.3G 12.0G 16% /media/cryptofs
    tmpfs 32.0M 160.0K 31.8M 0% /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_fo
    rward
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Looks like it worked. Have to thank dkirker and others. I think if my pre 2 decided to erase itself while on my business trip I would have lost it. Can't believe Palm/HP didn't castch this problem. WebOS - elegant in many ways but couple of glaring issues.
    This week I started getting the "application database is almost full" notification on my 32GB Touchpad. I had previously gotten the "not enough space to download" notification and had done the delete "downloadhistory.db" and delete some of the attachments in /var/filecache as suggested by folks here:

Dreaded "Not Enough Space To Download" Issue - Help Requested

This helped to reduced my /var from 95% used to 83%, which I though would give me some time before I would get any more error messages. It didn't. So I figured I needed to take the bolder step of increasing the size of the application partition. Using the Linux Command Line tool in WOSQI, I followed the steps shown both here:

Workaround for Application Database is Full error | webOS Nation

and here:

MojoDB Partition Resize - WebOS Internals

As you can see from my attached "before" and "after" Xecutah screen shots using "df -h | more", I was able to successfully decrease the size of /media/internal partition from 27.6GB to 27.0GB. However, when I did the steps to increase the /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb, I got the following two errors and it did not increase it.

The first error occurred at step "lvextend -L 512M /dev/mapper/store-mojodb". It said:

Extending logical volume mojodb to 512.00 MB
    Insufficient free space; 32 extents needed, but only 1 available

The second occurred at step "resize2fs -f -p /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb". It said:

The filesystem is already 65536 blocks long. Nothing to do!

As you can see from both the before and after screen shots, cryptodb is not 65536 blocks long. It remains 247MB and 85% full. I don't think I'm in imminent danger at 85%, but the notification is now popping up continuously.

Any help on what might need to be done differently since this is a Touchpad would be appreciated. Does it have something to do with the fact that I am starting with a larger available total GBs on this device that would require adjusting any of the commands?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    This week I started getting the "application database is almost full" notification on my 32GB Touchpad. I had previously gotten the "not enough space to download" notification and had done the delete "downloadhistory.db" and delete some of the attachments in /var/filecache as suggested by folks here:

Dreaded "Not Enough Space To Download" Issue - Help Requested

This helped to reduced my /var from 95% used to 83%, which I though would give me some time before I would get any more error messages. It didn't. So I figured I needed to take the bolder step of increasing the size of the application partition. Using the Linux Command Line tool in WOSQI, I followed the steps shown both here:

Workaround for Application Database is Full error | webOS Nation

and here:

MojoDB Partition Resize - WebOS Internals

As you can see from my attached "before" and "after" Xecutah screen shots using "df -h | more", I was able to successfully decrease the size of /media/internal partition from 27.6GB to 27.0GB. However, when I did the steps to increase the /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb, I got the following two errors and it did not increase it.

The first error occurred at step "lvextend -L 512M /dev/mapper/store-mojodb". It said:

Extending logical volume mojodb to 512.00 MB
    Insufficient free space; 32 extents needed, but only 1 available

The second occurred at step "resize2fs -f -p /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb". It said:

The filesystem is already 65536 blocks long. Nothing to do!

As you can see from both the before and after screen shots, cryptodb is not 65536 blocks long. It remains 247MB and 85% full. I don't think I'm in imminent danger at 85%, but the notification is now popping up continuously.

Any help on what might need to be done differently since this is a Touchpad would be appreciated. Does it have something to do with the fact that I am starting with a larger available total GBs on this device that would require adjusting any of the commands?

Thanks in advance!
    What is the output of this command?

lvdisplay /dev/store/media

What was the out put of this step?

lvreduce -L 12.2G /dev/mapper/store-media

The error you give suggests that step failed. (df -h won't tell you the lvm size, but lvdisplay will.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    dkirker,

Thanks for your quick reply! It's such a great thing to have experts who understand these things like yourself willing to help novices like me who know just enough to be dangerous

In answer to your questions:

Attached please find the output of lvdisplay /dev/store/media

Regarding the lvreduce command, I didn't list that output in my post because when I did that first step of the process (media partition reduction) it appeared to work properly (the command line screen scrolled with multiple lines indicating % progress until it reached 100% complete) and the df -h afterward showed the partition size change from 27.6GB to 27.0GB (see previous screen shots).

Also, if this matters, the value I used in the lvreduce command was 27.0, not 12.2, since my Touchpad has a larger media partition.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dkirker,

I could see from the lvdisplay that you had me do that the media partition resize hadn't actually worked, so I tried it a couple more times using WOSQI's Linux command line with no success. I then found Tailor, which worked great. Once I got the media partition reduced, the cryptodb increase went through easily using your instructions. I'm at 28% used (down from 85%)! Woo Hoo!!

Thanks for putting the process here so that I could do this myself. Quite a relief that I can put off disaster (at least for another day)
    dkirker likes this.
    That's what's funny about it:
    I have my Pre3 reset and put on the Touchstone since July (after my last travel outside my country).
    A week or so ago it suddenly showed the error. I did NOTHING with it inbetween. So how can the filesystem get clogged up, if you just leave it sitting on the charger, with nothing installed?

Manmanman, those are the moments I am happy, I don't use this as a main driver anymore.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    dkirker,

I could see from the lvdisplay that you had me do that the media partition resize hadn't actually worked, so I tried it a couple more times using WOSQI's Linux command line with no success. I then found Tailor, which worked great. Once I got the media partition reduced, the cryptodb increase went through easily using your instructions. I'm at 28% used (down from 85%)! Woo Hoo!!

Thanks for putting the process here so that I could do this myself. Quite a relief that I can put off disaster (at least for another day)
    Yeah, FWIW, those instructions were written for a Pre3. I haven't tried a Touchpad yet. Things are a tad different, as you have discovered.

My hope was to integrate all of this into Tailor, and it would just auto do this stuff. But, that takes time that I don't have at the moment. (But I should add it to my list that I am keeping here: http://github.com/dkirker/me/wiki ! )

Glad it worked!

A quick little tour into filesystems...

"df -h" will display how much free space is on the partitions. But, underneath the partition is a thing called an LVM (Logical Volume Management) volume. It pretends to act as a physical disk. Below that is the actual disk (an x-GB chip). The physical disk is broken into logical volumes, which are then partitioned. The first step when shrinking is to ALWAYS shrink the partition, then the logical volume (with lvshrink). You have to shrink the logical volume for the media drive before you can grow the cryptodb's.
    Did you know:

Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    That's what's funny about it:
    I have my Pre3 reset and put on the Touchstone since July (after my last travel outside my country).
    A week or so ago it suddenly showed the error. I did NOTHING with it inbetween. So how can the filesystem get clogged up, if you just leave it sitting on the charger, with nothing installed?

Manmanman, those are the moments I am happy, I don't use this as a main driver anymore.
    You had previously used this device, correct? If you had, and then wiped the data, there is a chance that some residual stuff remained on the /var/db partition. It seems kind half baked...

Yeah... I filed bugs for this. They were ignored. (Go figure... ) So, I actually figured out what was wrong. Frankly... the cryptodb partition should exist on the /media/internal partition as a cryptofs type thing. (You'll notice that "df -h" shows /media/cryptofs and /media/internal as having the EXACT same free and used parameters. This is because /media/cryptofs is a sort of virtual partition. It is encrypted, and is really just a file, but shares the same "area" as /media/internal.) I've been tempted to do that to my Pre3. But, I figure giving it a 512MB partition is probably safe. I wear my /media/internal partition to < 100MB free all too often...

Anyway!! This concludes this rambling. :P
    Did you know:

Remy X likes this.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast