Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know HP has a lot on its plate for a while getting webOS up to snuff, but I would really like to see something like the following pen inputs done, for me it would make a toy into a tool.

A closer look at the HTC Flyer's screen, stylus, and Scribe -- Engadget

HTC Flyer parades its many unique qualities in latest video from the company -- Engadget

Is anyone else as jazzed as I am about the prospect of pen input on a tablet? How would you use it?

Imagine a meeting agenda, I snap a photo of it with my rear facing camera and then use my pen to take notes in the margins, just like I would normally!
    Last edited by japomani; 03/31/2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Everything is coming full circle: first we needed capacitive screens because styli were stupid, now we need capacitive styli because fingers aren't precise enough.

I only have one more word to say on the matter, and that is WACOM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

I only have one more word to say on the matter, and that is WACOM.
    ...and HP aready use it on laptops.
    Yeah everyone uses wacom on convertible laptops so why couldn't HTC? I think this pen has a Battery!?!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I definitely agree. In the past 2+ years, I have never wavered in my loyalty to Palm and my belief (still) that WebOS is the best mobile OS (for my needs).

But that said, and pending reviews, etc... I'm very likely going to be getting one of these (in wifi version) when it lands. For my work, the ability to drop my bound meeting notebook and move to an all-digital world for meeting and interviews notes (I do a lot of market research interviews in the healthcare world) is just spectacular.

I always take decent notes but I am rarely good about referring back to them when I should, because it's too difficult to organize the notes well. I also usually record many of the meetings / interviews (with the interviewee's permission of course) so the integration between notes and recordings will be helpful as well -- for those times I wasn't so great at actually capturing the notes in my handwriting.

Now I'll almost certainly stay with WebOS for my phone and I'll also almost certainly get a touchpad for home use, but I really need something just like this for work and I'm sure HP might get there with a next-gen tablet (since they're already using WACOM in the Win7 tabs...) but I don't want to wait another 12-18 months for the technology to make its way into WebOS tabs (if ever).
  6.    #6  
    I definitely agree. In the past 2+ years, I have never wavered in my loyalty to Palm and my belief (still) that WebOS is the best mobile OS (for my needs).

But that said, and pending reviews, etc... I'm very likely going to be getting one of these (in wifi version) when it lands. For my work, the ability to drop my bound meeting notebook and move to an all-digital world for meeting and interviews notes (I do a lot of market research interviews in the healthcare world) is just spectacular.

I always take decent notes but I am rarely good about referring back to them when I should, because it's too difficult to organize the notes well. I also usually record many of the meetings / interviews (with the interviewee's permission of course) so the integration between notes and recordings will be helpful as well -- for those times I wasn't so great at actually capturing the notes in my handwriting.

Now I'll almost certainly stay with WebOS for my phone and I'll also almost certainly get a touchpad for home use, but I really need something just like this for work and I'm sure HP might get there with a next-gen tablet (since they're already using WACOM in the Win7 tabs...) but I don't want to wait another 12-18 months for the technology to make its way into WebOS tabs (if ever).
    +1

I am surprised that there is not more traffic on this thread. Does that mean people don't anticipate using this tablet as a tool? Is it just a gaming platform for most people?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I would love to be able to write as well on a tablet as real paper, but I'm afraid it's just a dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    I would love to be able to write as well on a tablet as real paper, but I'm afraid it's just a dream.
    It's not. Tablet computers came with active digitizers that you could take perfect notes and sketches with before Apple revolutionized tablets and turned them into casual gaming and web browsing machines. You should look for a ThinkPad x200 or something.
    I don't see HP using a Wacom digitizer in it's current iteration for any webOS devices. The reason being that they'd either have to have two digitizers (instead of using the Wacom for touch) or be limited to two touch points. I have a Wacom digitizer in my HP EliteBook and I absolutely love having the pen for taking notes or doing sketching, but I don't think the touch aspect of the Wacom stuff is really ready yet.

Also, to note a little about the Wacom digitizer for convertible tablets, the pen does NOT use any batteries, and does not rely on touching the screen to function. I believe the furthest I've received input from the screen was with around 100 sheets of paper stacked on top of the screen. The active digitizer sits below the screen, so that it doesn't mess with the image quality, so if they wanted to work with Wacom they MIGHT be able to get a digitizer without the touch component that would work great.
    As a math teacher having students being able to write equations with a styli rather than using a bunch of context pop-ups to write equations on a screen would be a dream. Pizeoelectric self powering would be even better. And if the styli were sturdy enough to survive my middle school class...oooh. At least the touchPad has gorilla glass.
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    I was so let down when the rumor of a Pen layer on the Touchpad didnt come true...but a Windows 8 TabletPC w/ a webOS layer is the biggest WIN in my book.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  12.    #12  
    here is another article on the topic, I think the idea is building in popularity

Switched On: Pen again -- Engadget

And another

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Being a Palm user and fan from way back, I loved the graffiti capability - used it ALL the time. When it had to be changed on the Treo, fine, I learned a new set of symbols. Keyboards and on screen type are certainly more accurate, but not as fast in lots of situations. This ability would move the tablet into serious workspace, if you ask me. Yes - bring it - look at the people glomming on to it with the iPad. Why in the heck did it ever go away? It could have been one of the defining marks for WebOS. So...put me "yes"
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Oh my goodness--totally bring the stylus back! Fingers are great but there are times when nothing beats the clarity and accuracy of a stylus. Granted we would want to have both, because if you can have only one (and this ain't "Highlander") then finger > stylus. However, finger+stylus > everything.
    Ok, just tried Graffiti on WebOS via the PalmOS Graffiti app running on Classic... no luck. Long shot.

The other thing I can try is an old pen/notebook combo that used to work with PalmOS. You wrote notes, and it would sync with Memos/Datebook/etc. The PIM apps weren't the default PalmOS ones, you needed to overwrite them with modified versions? I'll dig up the stuff to see.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Would definitely use a stylus! Hope that this becomes a possibility (3rd party or otherwise) with the Touchpad. I have a HP tm2 convertible laptop and the stylus makes the experience uniquely useful.
    love my wacom digitizer on my hp tm2 and hoping it makes it in the touchpad....even if its the touchpad 2.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I truly think this would be a productivity and EDUCATIONAL BOON!
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    +1. I'll buy whatever tablet has it probably but I would love it if the touchpad gets this ability.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Here is an article from '02 about different digitizers utilized by Tablets.

Tablet PC Talk - Digitizers and Styli - Differentiating the Tablet PC

Used both Wacom and Finepoint digitizers since '06, in both convertible PC and slate PC forms. I'm not sure I would buy a new tablet unless it did come with a digitizer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast