Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I've been doing some thinking lately about HP's drive to bring WebOS to the PC, and I think that they may be going about the wrong way. Recently in the interviews with Jon Rubenstein he stated that WebOS will run in its own environment. Obviously less than ideal and less than what we all want.

I don't see Synergy integration with existing Microsoft applications happening due to, if anything, the fact that Microsoft has its own competing platform. So the question is how could WebOS for the PC be made better? I think the answer lies in Applications as a widget. This could benefit WebOS in multiple ways.

Imagine having the WebOS email and messaging apps running as widgets on your dekstop? They are already designed to work at a low resolution on a small screen so they will not take up much space, but would offer far more features than current desktop widgets. Widgets, or gadgets as Microsoft calls them, on Windows have been an absolute joke since their introduction in Windows Vista anyway.

So the question to answer is how would HP make this work? I think there is a relatively simple solution to this one. HP could develop a framework that would allow applications to run in a "native" WebOS environment without the restriction of being tied to the WebOS GUI itself. Packaged with this framework could be the App Catalog along with the basics like email and messaging.

I see this being the best way HP could deploy WebOS onto PC's because having WebOS run in a Window is going to be nothing more than a cute little toy, but applications running on their own could be very useful to people.

What do you all think? Am I crazy, or do I have a good idea here?
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Sprint Palm Pixi
    on a desktop, I personally would not be interested in using webos to view my email unless they figured out a way to thread conversations.
    Well, i think that my idea is going to work best...

WebOS is going to be like a "skin" on top of Windows 8, not Windows 7. As Microsoft is reaching for full touch-y-ness compatibility in their forthcoming (i.e. 2012.) operating system.

By skin, I am referring to an HTC Sense' similar UI layer ontop of Android.

Which can only happen within Windows 8.

The WebOS within a 'window' is a nominal substitute for their future work onto Windows 7.
    There are several layers to this issue. One is the "webOS experience" that Leo talks about. I see that to be that the TouchSmart interface would be adapted to work like webOS - tossing cards, etc. Every time I play with a TouchSmart PC I long for that "experience".

The second is the notion of running webOS apps and services that Ruby seems to be indicating. I can see some value in having my webOS email app running on my PC, because that solves the issue of wanting to sync my phone with my PC - which I currently do with Pocket Mirror. Hello Palm, desktop sync is what put you on the map to begin with. Lots of us still want to do that!!!

But, I think the bigger win is the INTEGRATION of apps and services in the manner of what they are doing with TTS between the Pre3/Veer and the TouchPad. If it makes sense that I can answer a call on my TouchPad, I will also want to do that on my laptop or desktop PC.

If I want to pass a movie stream from my tablet to my phone, I would also want to do that from my PC. If I want to pass a URL from... you get the idea. I want to be able to use my apps, data, and capabilities on any device in my personal ecosystem (note to HP, I want to do that with non-HP devices, too).

I still can't visualize how they could do this. Is it in a browser? is it a widget? Is it a browser that contains widgets? Is it a widget that contains other widgets? argh, my head hurts.

But, the bottom line is that I want my profile, apps, content, data, etc to follow me between devices. And I want them to be integrated seamlessly so I can move between them without always needing an internet connection, or to think about how to get from one screen to another. What would they need to do to make that work, and how would that be implemented on a Windows device?
    I've said this before in another thread similar to this one but innovation has to be a driver in the development in WebOS. That's the difference between being "cool" over being a "me too" technology. WebOS came out of the gate being a cool technology due to it's innovative multitasking card scheme. But they can't rest on those laurels.

I've suggested coming up with a WebOS protocol since if you think about it would be a natural progression of a web based OS that uses the cloud and aims to be used and accessed on all types of devices.

It should be a secure protocol to create an easier more efficient way to harness and leverage the power of WebOS. It would solve a lot of the future headaches that are to come with having WebOS on many different devices using different versions of said OS.