Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is huge news, I think. Amazon just beat Apple and Google to the punch: Amazon Cloud Player goes live, streams music on your computer and Android -- Engadget

Given HP bought cloud/music related services, it seems they are heading in this direction as well. I'll guess Amazon will be free to to make their own app (or just make it very HTML5 friendly... I should just check on my phone...) but will HP leverage it for advertising? Amazon is a huge name not to ignore that could help them to some extent...

I'm feeling like I'm falling off the webOS train.
    Idk, maybe in June? We know Amazon's finally coming out with a Kindle app at least when the tablet launches, and it would be silly not to include it on the phone as well, especially since the resolution will be higher on the Pre3 than on current devices. So it's not like Amazon has abandoned webOS completely....I'd like to see it, myself.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    It's kinda cool. To play the music in the cloud player you must buy the music from amazon. (ex. if you have already bought the music from amazon previously you can't play on your phone)

There are a going to be a pleathra of services like this and they will get cheaper and cheaper. (ex. soundclound, playlist, MOG, mSpot, Rdio, spotify)

I bet when kindle comes so will Amazon App and Amazon Music App.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's kinda cool. To play the music in the cloud player you must buy the music from amazon. (ex. if you have already bought the music from amazon previously you can't play on your phone)

There are a going to be a pleathra of services like this and they will get cheaper and cheaper. (ex. soundclound, playlist, MOG, mSpot, Rdio, spotify)

I bet when kindle comes so will Amazon App and Amazon Music App.
    You can buy the music from anywhere, you just have to upload it to Amazon first unless you buy it from Amazon, where you can have it saved there automatically (which does not count against your quota).
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    I think that's what the Melodeo acquisition was for right? So I doubt.

Still hoping for Amazon video playback.
    Well I "bought" a free MP3 album from Amazon, to find out the web player requires Adobe Flash and you need flash to up/down load as well. **sigh**. Wonder if they will open the API?
    --Chris

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
    You can upload your music and play on any computer but the android app can only play songs newly purchased from Amazon music.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    You can already do this on WebOs with zumo drive, you can get 2 gig for free.
    PSN
    Twitter
    Palm Centro - Palm/HP Pre+ w/webos 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    I think that's what the Melodeo acquisition was for right? So I doubt.

Still hoping for Amazon video playback.
    Is there any reason why we couldn't have more then one choice? Plus I thought Ruby being on the Amazon board would have clout to get these things for WebOS like he did with Kindle app?
    Quote Originally Posted by techfellow View Post
    This can already be done using a NAS and you can have terabytes instead... I don't know why everyone wants to pay someone to hold their own information. My whole house is the cloud, I can access it from anywhere I go.
    I'd love a WebOS app that will allow me to stream my music. I'm uploading my iTunes library on it as I write this.
    I never understood why software companies (like Amazon) don't release their software everywhere. Why exclude a platform since all you care about is being software on someone elses hardware/OS. They just need to release an app so we can pay them. Making the app costs little and let us pay, we want to use any service like this. Release it on all platforms and just sit back and enjoy the money.

And yes, I work for Amazon and I hate that besides the MP3 store, we (the webOS world) don't get any Amazon products like Android and iPhone has.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by techfellow View Post
    Well, 5GB > than 2GB for one But for anyone that is an amazonmp3 shopper, it's basically unlimited. Doesn't have to work for you, but one of the reasons to use it over zumo drive. Also, the interface is better (not the uploading though).

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    This can already be done using a NAS and you can have terabytes instead... I don't know why everyone wants to pay someone to hold their own information. My whole house is the cloud, I can access it from anywhere I go.
    Cause not everyone wants to run a home cloud. I don't like ampache. Subsonic isn't out here for webOS. Orb sucks. And not everyone wants a machine on at home all the time.

With that said, personally, I may going w/ my own solution in the long run. Or just switch to a device that lets me slap a 32GB mSD card in it.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Didn't read it, but if anyone is expecting privacy on any public free cloud service, they've been smoking some good stuff. Regarding my music... I don't care. It's why my financial documents haven't found their way onto google docs yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    not everyone wants to run a home cloud. I don't like ampache. Subsonic isn't out here for webOS. Orb sucks. And not everyone wants a machine on at home all the time
    Well I'm not sure what you know about NAS's, so with that said.. My NAS uses as much energey as a 60 watt bulb in operation and you don't need programs like ORB, which is to stream from a PC, to access your info. My nas has a built in server, so you can access files through a browser from anywhere.
    Last edited by Stevesrjr86; 03/29/2011 at 04:57 PM.
    You are 100% right, about the ability to do this from your NAS and/or computer. Until someone breaks in (or worse, you have a fire) and you lose your computers and NAS. For me, I'll probably do this as a backup for my apps. I do the same thing through Picasaweb with my photos. I'm paying google $50/year for 200GB to store photos and video that are irreplaceable.

P.S. Amazon isn't the only way to backup though. If you are tech savvy (and it sounds like you are) and back-up anywhere off-site regularly, you'll be fine. This is the solution though for the people who don't do that and have 10s of gigabytes of music files, not 100s of gigabytes of files.

Not ripping on the validity of your post, just putting some thoughts down in the context of the topic about the concept of offsite storage and backup, not offsite access and streaming!!

Edit -- as context, personally I'm running a Windows Home Server with ampache right now (and using the Ampache webos Apps), but again, ampache / NAS streaming / WHS streaming solutions aren't for everyone. For me, I'll do this for the combination of backup benefits and access and I'll probably shut down my ampache server. For me too, the ideal answer on my Pre would be 32 or 64GB of on device storage since I'd prefer to listen from my device and not stream at all. Why be limited to bandwidth or wifi coverage?
    Last edited by greenawayj; 03/29/2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Maybe because it cost money to create software and support it. Webos userbase is probably so tiny right now. Why do you think there is only one active fan site?
    True but webOS is the easiest to port to of all mobile OS. Even if we are small, i'm almost positive that if a service like this came to webOS, they'd get enough of us to use it that it would justify the cost of porting it over. Angry Birds was done in a few days, how difficult can it be to take an Android app and make it work on webOS. Also, the webOS market is horrible, it's so empty, there are major gaps for products like this. They would be the most viable solution, like the Amazon MP3 store is on webOS.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I think a WebOS version may well be in the offing. Quite a few of the initial news reports, including the BBC reported that, "Cloud Player works with Blackberry, Palm and Android mobiles, although there is no support for Apple's iOS."

If you do a search in Google for "BBC Cloud Music Player Palm", you'll see it in the search results but when you go to the source article, it now just says Android.

Could be a genuine mistake but I suspect that the Blackberry and WebOS versions will be coming soon.
  19.    #19  
    Well I'm not sure what you know about NAS's, so with that said.. My NAS uses as much energey as a 60 watt bulb in operation and you don't need programs like ORB, which is to stream from a PC, to access your info. My nas has a built in server, so you can access files through a browser from anywhere.
    I didn't say anything about power draw, just that some people don't like leaving things on. Or only have access to DSL for broadband. Or if you're me, the only NAS worth buying costs too much for what I want for home use.

There are plenty of reasons why people don't want to run their own server. Again, this mostly benefits an Amazon user, as it's essentially free for them, but it's still fairly cheap for what you get... if you don't have a ton of music already.

The news is still big though, especially since it's now out that Amazon hasn't gotten the OK from the record labels, they just went all in claiming they don't need a license for end users "personal use" heh. It will certainly be interesting how that pans out.
    There is another alternative, anyone heard of pogoplug. I was gonna get one of these little devices a while back and there is an app in the catalogue for accessing the files on it. A mate I know has one and he says it works very well with his iphone for streaming all types of media plus it has unlimited storage capability (sort of). Works like a NAS and can be attached to your printer as well!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast