Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So one of the big things with webOS 2.x was the addition of true push notifications for 3rd party apps. Am I missing something, or are there no apps that yet utilize this feature. One app that I would expect to see it in above all the others would be HP's own Facebook app. All I see are timed notifications. Thanks in advance.
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1
    It's in the works, I've seen it already.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Good to know!
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    So one of the big things with webOS 2.x was the addition of true push notifications for 3rd party apps. Am I missing something, or are there no apps that yet utilize this feature. One app that I would expect to see it in above all the others would be HP's own Facebook app. All I see are timed notifications. Thanks in advance.
    I don't know who told you that push notifications were coming with webOS 2.x, but that was never announced by HP/Palm and it is not coming from HP/Palm for a while if ever.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I don't know who told you that push notifications were coming with webOS 2.x, but that was never announced by HP/Palm and it is not coming from HP/Palm for a while if ever.
    Isn't it one of the things Palm announced a long time ago but never implemented?

http://www.precentral.net/palm-introduce-push-services
    I think you guys are confusing push notifications with a dedicated service like the one Apple offers for push notifications. I haven't seen HP/Palm announce such a service, but with the addition of node.jsjsjs $services$ $in$ $2$.$0$, $it$ $should$ $be$ $possible$ $to$ $set$ $up$ $a$ $long$-$lived$ $connection$ $with$ $a$ $server$ $that$ $will$ $push$ $information$ $over$ $that$ $connection$. $I$ $think$ $that$'$s$ $how$ $the$ $email$ $app$ $can$ $sync$ $incoming$ $mail$ $from$ $gmail$ &$quot$;$As$ $items$ $arrive$&$quot$;.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I think you guys are confusing push notifications with a dedicated service like the one Apple offers for push notifications. I haven't seen HP/Palm announce such a service, but with the addition of node.jsjsjs $services$ $in$ $2$.$0$, $it$ $should$ $be$ $possible$ $to$ $set$ $up$ $a$ $long$-$lived$ $connection$ $with$ $a$ $server$ $that$ $will$ $push$ $information$ $over$ $that$ $connection$. $I$ $think$ $that$'$s$ $how$ $the$ $email$ $app$ $can$ $sync$ $incoming$ $mail$ $from$ $gmail$ &$quot$;$As$ $items$ $arrive$&$quot$;.

Isn't that what the article i posted was?
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Isn't that what the article i posted was?
    Using node.jsjsjs $for$ $push$ $notifications$ $is$ $different$ $from$ $what$ $Mojo$ $Messaging$ $Service$ $would$ $have$ $been$. $I$'$m$ $assuming$ $MMS$ $would$ $have$ $been$ $like$ $Apple$'$s$ $Push$ $Notification$ $Service$; $where$ $APNS$ $is$ $dedicated$ $to$ $push$ $notifications$, $node$.$js$ $services$ $permit$ $you$ $to$ $do$ $much$ $more$. $Because$ $node$.$js$ $services$ $are$ $long$-$lived$, $they$ $also$ $provide$ $an$ $opportunity$ $to$ $set$ $up$ $push$ $notifications$.

Using node.jsjsjs $for$ $push$ $notifications$ $is$ $different$ $from$ $what$ $Mojo$ $Messaging$ $Service$ $would$ $have$ $been$. $I$'$m$ $assuming$ $MMS$ $would$ $have$ $been$ $like$ $Apple$'$s$ $Push$ $Notification$ $Service$; $where$ $APNS$ $is$ $dedicated$ $to$ $push$ $notifications$, $node$.$js$ $services$ $permit$ $you$ $to$ $do$ $much$ $more$. $Because$ $node$.$js$ $services$ $are$ $long$-$lived$, $they$ $also$ $provide$ $an$ $opportunity$ $to$ $set$ $up$ $push$ $notifications$.

I think I'm remembering a different article pre central had actually. Because I remember a PC editor making a big deal about actual push notifiction because Palm had said it was coming n not just a MMS notifiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I think I'm remembering a different article pre central had actually. Because I remember a PC editor making a big deal about actual push notifiction because Palm had said it was coming n not just a MMS notifiction.
    By MMS I meant Mojo Messaging Services, not notifications of text messages.
    By MMS I meant Mojo Messaging Services, not notifications of text messages.
    That's what i ment as well, not SMS or Multi Media Message
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I know that in 1.4.5, with the YouView visual voicemail client, I wouldn't get my voicemail notifications. The only way to get the new voicemails (if I didn't have the app opened in the past 10 mins or so), was to open the app. It had to do with the amount of time Palm allowed apps to run in the background after closing. Now, in 2.1 on my Sprint Pre - , I always get my voicemail notifications and I never open the app. I think that's push, no? I just assumed they were allowing push notifications now in 2.0 and above because of this experience :]