Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I was reading a review of the new Gnome 3 over on Dedoimedo (great website by the way), and I couldn't help but notice something.

The search bar in Gnome 3:

looks an AWFUL lot like the "Just Type" bar:

Just saying.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 03/28/2011 at 12:43 PM.
    Wow, that is ugly. Hold fast to Gnome DO.

Ubuntu introduced that look in the Netbook Remix (besides some of the functionality already being in place), but the search bar is new.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Wow, that is ugly. Hold fast to Gnome DO.

Ubuntu introduced that look in the Netbook Remix (besides some of the functionality already being in place), but the search bar is new.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah that is just the corner, here is what the full thing looks like.
    http://blog.fpmurphy.com/blog-images/gnome3-10.png

Dedo has a pretty good rant about it on his site (link in OP). I am willing to try a new look, but I am upset about losing right-click functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post

Dedo has a pretty good rant about it on his site (link in OP). I am willing to try a new look, but I am upset about losing right-click functionality.
    LOL whut? Ubuntu, STOP. First the buttons, now right-click? I DONT WANT A MAC. I know it's not Ubuntu, but they build it using Gnome...I hope they hold off on Gnome 3 for...ever.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    There are only so many styles in which to do a search bar, so I wouldn't say this is a rip-off at all. The Playbook, however, is a completely different story.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    There are only so many styles in which to do a search bar, so I wouldn't say this is a rip-off at all. The Playbook, however, is a completely different story.
    There are many styles to do a search bar, which is why I think this one is a complete rip-off. Sure its possible that they just came up with the same idea, but think about it...

1. search bar with round ends (aka pill)
    2. magnifying glass on the right
    3. left justified text followed by ellipses (three periods)
    4. clicking on the pill makes the text disappear for what you type in it (see here)

That's a little TOO similar to me. Oh well I guess its true what they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    There are many styles to do a search bar, which is why I think this one is a complete rip-off. Sure its possible that they just came up with the same idea, but think about it...

1. search bar with round ends (aka pill)
    2. magnifying glass on the right
    3. left justified text followed by ellipses (three periods)
    4. clicking on the pill makes the text disappear for what you type in it (see here)

That's a little TOO similar to me. Oh well I guess its true what they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
    Wouldn't that mean the Just Type bar is a ripoff of Firefox?

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wouldn't that mean the Just Type bar is a ripoff of Firefox?
    Well by golly I think you are right. Everyone is ripping them off then.
    There's only so many ways to style a search bar...

All this really does it just allow you to search for applications and documents, right? When it can launch and search an application and do quick actions, I'll believe it's a copy. However, the general trend in the Ubuntu UI right now is to make it more touchscreen-friendly. That style of search bar is touchscreen-friendly. It's just the style, not the functionality that is similar.
    The most important question is... does it really matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    The most important question is... does it really matter?
    No, cause I'm trying to figure out what distro to go to when Gnome 3 goes live. I guess Mint...they said they wouldn't use the Gnome shell. I really don't want to go to KDE of XFCE.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    No, cause I'm trying to figure out what distro to go to when Gnome 3 goes live. I guess Mint...they said they wouldn't use the Gnome shell. I really don't want to go to KDE of XFCE.
    I am using LinuxMint Debian Edition. It is awesome, faster than the standard Ubuntu-based edition, and its a rolling release so you never have to re-install it. I highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    You know I can't wait to try out 3.0 ('erm, GNOME 3.0 not webOS 3.0...) when I have a moment to set it up. I just can't wait to install such a webOS-like graphics environment on my PC!

Really, guys, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'm flattered that so many think webOS is as good looking as I thought it was (and is, mind you) to the point that copying it has become mainstream! Rounded corners with a black top bar that has (from left to right) application, time and system information. The search box is really just the BEGINNING of how similar this is to webOS!