1.    #1  
    Sooo... I already did the sync with the replacement Pre (tho service is not hooked up).

Found the old Pre in the couch of a friend's house.

I've turned the old Pre on and disabled wifi and all other radios. It's working fine.

How can I disable the secure erase feature from wiping the data on my old Pre, which I would prefer to use due to it's condition?? Is this possible??

I have no laptop nor other internet connection for the next 2 or 3 weeks... So I'd prefer to switch back to my old Pre instead of my Pixi for this time.
    When you connect the old phone, it would erase itself anyway. But send a PM to HardbeatZ to see if he has any ideas.

Did you get your replacement as an insurance claim, or did you just purchase another one? If it's an insurance claim, the ESN of your old phone will be marked as lost/stolen and wont work again (as a phone). If you want to use your old phone now, it will restore apps and configuration from your profile. All of your USB data will probably be erased by the remote procedure.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    When you connect the old phone, it would erase itself anyway. But send a PM to HardbeatZ to see if he has any ideas.

Did you get your replacement as an insurance claim, or did you just purchase another one? If it's an insurance claim, the ESN of your old phone will be marked as lost/stolen and wont work again (as a phone). If you want to use your old phone now, it will restore apps and configuration from your profile. All of your USB data will probably be erased by the remote procedure.
    Good idea on Hardbeatz....

No, I did not claim the phone as lost/stolen on ins., because I would never pay those crazy terms for phone ins, not to mention I've never used my Pre as a phone, only a gaming device / web tablet thingy. I did pick up a $20 replacement within a week or so of my loss.

Really... There's no reason I should need to reinstall apps (read: 15 huge games) and configs, since it's all right here on my Pre anyway. And as much as I'd love to just re-download that data... It's not possible without 3G, which I will just so happen to be without for the duration of my trip.
  4.    #4  
    Well, I finally called Pam Support..

They told me that if I've already used my Palm Profile on the replacement device, then the Remote Erase signal STOPS.

That doesn't seem to secure if you ask me. I like the fingerprint scanner idea more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Well, I finally called Pam Support..

They told me that if I've already used my Palm Profile on the replacement device, then the Remote Erase signal STOPS.

That doesn't seem to secure if you ask me. I like the fingerprint scanner idea more and more.
    Why?? It will erase anyway.. Since you signed into another phone with that profile

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Why?? It will erase anyway.. Since you signed into another phone with that profile

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well.. here's the deal... (I've actually got two separate accounts, been using the Meta-Doctor for the longest time on one account that I'd done the secure erase on, and the other line I'd been using a Pixi most recently)

I agreed with the techs that -- since I have an entirely new replacement Pre and have already activated it, then it wouldn't be able to give the "kill signal", if you will.

I was kinda upset with the tech's answer, because I wanted my data GONE after a "secure erase".. but at the same time, I simply re-found my own device and was able to keep using my same old data (kinda slow, tho) and not have to worry about riding a 4-wheeler down a dirt road to get a 3g signal.... so I was kinda happy that it didn't erase.

Well.. it took about 20 hours, and then I got some pop-up... telling me that I'd been "logged out of my profile", then it gave me the options "ok" or "cancel". I think I clicked cancel and then it deleted all my info anyway!!!

Makes me feel safer about the data... and I was able to just start a bull junk profile for the remainder of my trip that is quite speedy without overclock.

Getting 0.5 MB downlink in the boonies. Actually found one spot upstairs in the house that evdo works great. Thanks to the ##DEBUG# command... and webOS-Internal's freeTether, of course

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Well.. here's the deal... (I've actually got two separate accounts, been using the Meta-Doctor for the longest time on one account that I'd done the secure erase on, and the other line I'd been using a Pixi most recently)

I agreed with the techs that -- since I have an entirely new replacement Pre and have already activated it, then it wouldn't be able to give the "kill signal", if you will.

I was kinda upset with the tech's answer, because I wanted my data GONE after a "secure erase".. but at the same time, I simply re-found my own device and was able to keep using my same old data (kinda slow, tho) and not have to worry about riding a 4-wheeler down a dirt road to get a 3g signal.... so I was kinda happy that it didn't erase.

Well.. it took about 20 hours, and then I got some pop-up... telling me that I'd been "logged out of my profile", then it gave me the options "ok" or "cancel". I think I clicked cancel and then it deleted all my info anyway!!!

Makes me feel safer about the data... and I was able to just start a bull junk profile for the remainder of my trip that is quite speedy without overclock.

Getting 0.5 MB downlink in the boonies. Actually found one spot upstairs in the house that evdo works great. Thanks to the ##DEBUG# command... and webOS-Internal's freeTether, of course

Good stuff.

After this post, I went looking around for this... "##DEBUG#" thing, and came up with nothing..

--Btw, sorry for going off topic here..--

So what is this? I feel you on the Boonies. I'm right there with you. Hell, for Sprint, the signal line (from the Data Services map on their site) actually ends like 2 feet into our yard from the road. Haha. So signal is hit and miss. Some times I experience a super fast signal. Downloading an app at lightning speed. Then other times, a 3mb app will take about 10 minutes.
    hello there , if you look deep into it you will find that the remote erase only works through the sms for that phone its send a special sms that tells the pre erase yourself no internet conection involved.
  9.    #9  
    This is what I was told by the Palm techs.

Made sense, but at the same time... it was frustrating... becuase if somebody "stole" my phone, they'd just need to put it on a different line.

I'd assume that doing a "secure erase" is not enough to prevent sprint from allowing that ESN on another account/line....

I had the Pre originally on lineOne. I disconnected service. I used Meta-Doctor to use that same Pre / Profile. I lost phone. I re-found phone. I activated phone on lineTwo.

Anyway... I was actually "logged out of my Palm Profile" after about 20 hours. I don't see how this could happen if it were expecting a text message on an entirely different number...

I had tweaked some things in Govnah, as well... but I don't see how that would cause the device to bring that pop up and then log me out and erase all the data.

Very strange...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by totalj View Post
    After this post, I went looking around for this... "##DEBUG#" thing, and came up with nothing..

--Btw, sorry for going off topic here..--

So what is this? I feel you on the Boonies. I'm right there with you. Hell, for Sprint, the signal line (from the Data Services map on their site) actually ends like 2 feet into our yard from the road. Haha. So signal is hit and miss. Some times I experience a super fast signal. Downloading an app at lightning speed. Then other times, a 3mb app will take about 10 minutes.
    Sprint devices open the phone app and type ##DEBUG# on the keypad (not thumbboard). ATT uses *#DEBUG# or something similar. . . .

Basically, you just want to look for the RSSI values. CDMA and EVDO have separate RSSI values. The closer the number is to 0, the better.

You'll also be interested in ##EVDO# to force a specific band if you only want EVDO or CDMA or whatever... comes in handy if you're alternating back and forth between two weak signals.

Force roam patch is amazing, as well, but it was worth it to me to find the 1 spot and 1 angle (about 70 to 80 degrees on its side!) that this phone receives/transmits EVDO in an entire square mile. Sprint will have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Lucky me, I guess...