Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP needs to do a better job of branding. IMO bad mistake dropping the Palm name and not replacing it with a new brand. At least with Palm people know and recognise the brand. HP is big and ubiquitous but I can't for the life of me name one product of there's besides general products eg "HP printer" or "HP computer". Heck they still have Compact on some of their laptops. HP keeps pushing webos to consumers instead focusing on a brand with a great product. Apple doesn't go to consumers telling them to buy iOS. Instead they say go buy an ipad or iphone. Now compare that to Android. That's marketing an OS to consumers. Everyone knows the brand and the green robot logo. However most people don't know or care about the myriad of manufactures that have products with android on them.

HP seems like their trying to market webos like Android. But two problems are Android is manufactured by everyone and webos is a generic name.
    I agree. The Palm name should stay, the names Pre and Pixi should go. Veer should go.
    I think the larger mistake is keeping the Pre 3 name. It should have been renamed. But I think removing Palm name was a good idea and replacing it with the larger more known name is better. For instance, when I told my friend about the Palm Pre (minus) he laughed and said no one buys a Palm any more. He wasn't the only one who thought that, too. HP is a better name. Trying to build a new brand name would cost more money then it's worth.
    The Palm brand had no traction in the current smartphone space so I don't know if keeping the name would have done any good.

They definitely blew it with keeping the Pre name though.
    And that hasn't worked out all that well for them... apparently the 4 of us have the power to make the difference for HP. Go Figure...
    HP is determined to drop the Palm branding, so it's silly to discuss that. I DO wish they had gone with a different name for the Pre 3. First, it's not a great name. Second, the fact that they're coming out with the Pre 3 makes the Pre 2 seem even more outdated than it already is. If the Pre 3 was named the Flibberdygibbet, it would have less impact on the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    And that hasn't worked out all that well for them... apparently the 4 of us have the power to make the difference for HP. Go Figure...
    Thanks for that; good mid-day laugh.
    You are the one that pointed out the connection between failure and who they aren't listening to.
  9.    #9  
    People may say Palm is dead but at least they know the brand and know that the name means portable PIM device or smartphone. Ask someone about HP and I'm sure they'll think of printers. Maybe a desktop. I highly doubt a laptop. Definitely not cool devices. Or phones. Or tablets.
    They shoulda stuck with palm, it has as much or more recognition in the market than the HP name anyway. I agree pre/pixi/veer should be dropped. As long as they don't adopt HTC like naming conventions, I'm ok.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    As mentioned above, if HP can keep the Compaq brand for the business/enterprise market, they could've kept Palm for the mobile market. Most, if not all, consumers don't know that HP DID make smartphones before they bought Palm.

I'm totally OK with HP WebOS, they have to re-brand that but not necessarily the hardware.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I too agree. I got a Pre 2 and its kind of cool I got the last phone with Palm on it.

ET
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    They should have dropped Palm and definitely Pre and called it the HP XQZIT or something.

For most people Pre means a poorly manufactured phone shipped a couple of years ago and is now old and clunky, great OS, no apps. Never mind the Pre2 which hardly anyone has (I do!)

The Pre3 is a major leap forward and no-one should be put off from buying it due to a bad experience with a Pre1
    I wouldn't make a bit of difference if they had the name Palm. It didn't work before. And it has little good will now. It was a failing brand. Like Pontiac. It's gone. People should move on.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Brands can be resurrected.

Mini
    Pabst Blue Ribbon (one of my favorite 'everyday' beers)
    Old Spice
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Personally, I think they should've just called it the HP Palm, then Palm II, Palm III, etc. like back in the old days.

I think calling the device Palm would have given more of a nostalgia factor, for everyone who was using the Palm Pilot, III, V, or any others, rather than making people think of the more recent failures of Palm the company.
    ThePalm name would have differentiated it a bit more, HP means very little outside of pcs and printers, Palm is a mobile name and with a bit of luck I am hoping by the summer launch they have decided to keep it and use it as their mobile brand.
    the palm names means something to the small amount of people that are Palm lovers. It's just not nearly enough to matter. Those people will buy anything Palm makes.
    "palm" that name sounds familiar. can't picture where, but i swear i heard that name before. think. think. oh well, no sense in fussing over it now. it'll eventually come to me again
    I'm not worried about the "Palm" name. I was never a "fan boy" until webOS. I love the OS and don't care (to some extent) who owns it or what name is placed on it.

By "to some extent" I mean that If apple had bought webOS to replace iOshi.. I'd be on android.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast