Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been having an issue when playing music on my phone. I'm running a VZW Pre+ with 2.1. The problem happens regardless of whether i overclock with UberKernel, or run the stock kernel. It also happens using either Music Player Remix, or the built-in webOS music player. The problem persists when i remove all patches.

Here is the situation: After a phone reboot i load Govnah for memory monitoring. I load a music player and let it go for a while. The longer music plays the more the physical memory fills up (this happens without doing anything else on the phone). Once i hit 488MB the music stutters subtly, and the phone becomes unusable and laggy until i reboot. Closing the music app does not release the memory.

You can help produce more data on this problem by following the procedure listed here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2919798

Anyone experiencing this problem on a Pre+/- with an official release of 2.1 should report this on the official palm support page so that we can get some attention from HP.

Solutions:
    A partial fix for this issue has been uncovered with the help of oc80z. After playing music close the application. Launch JSTop and from the app menu choose "Garbage collect java script...". This may free up some of your RAM. It freed up 60mb for me.

Another thing which seems to make a very big difference is using the F104a kernel (this is a testing kernel, find more information here, this thread is NOT the place for questions about how to get testing kernels.) I recommend running a screenstate v2 governor. This has dramatically reduced my issues with lagging, and memory being consumed (somewhat). It is not necessary to run F104a at 1.1ghz, i'm running a 500/900 screenstate v2 profile and it works very well.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 04/14/2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added kernel recommendation
    you are onto something here...
    mmh. I thought I found the reason for stuttering audio when reading your post, but I cannot confirm the memory leak... I'm running a Pre- with 2.1. Overclocked to 800mhz, Compcache at 10240kb.

I rebooted, ran Govnah, played music for a while and this is the result:

Beginning:
    RAM / SWAP - 235 / 0

After some songs played:
    RAM / SWAP - 228 / 4

But maybe this is a random thing. Yesterday I experienced the same stuttering as you did. I was streaming music from home using Ampache and it was nearly impossible to listen. I deff didn't have these problems on 1.4.5.

Besides that, the battery drain is HUGE on 2.1. I have my phone running for like 3h now and battery is already at 77%. That's different to 1.4.5 as well. So maybe there's really sth wrong.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkloeckner View Post
    mmh. I thought I found the reason for stuttering audio when reading your post, but I cannot confirm the memory leak... I'm running a Pre- with 2.1. Overclocked to 800mhz, Compcache at 10240kb.

I rebooted, ran Govnah, played music for a while and this is the result:

Beginning:
    RAM / SWAP - 235 / 0

After some songs played:
    RAM / SWAP - 228 / 4

But maybe this is a random thing. Yesterday I experienced the same stuttering as you did. I was streaming music from home using Ampache and it was nearly impossible to listen. I deff didn't have these problems on 1.4.5.

Besides that, the battery drain is HUGE on 2.1. I have my phone running for like 3h now and battery is already at 77%. That's different to 1.4.5 as well. So maybe there's really sth wrong.
    Not sure, but things may be different with Pre- since it only has 256MB ram... Have you tried messing with your compcache levels? FYI those can only be temporarily changed with Govnah, a reboot will clear them, due to it being enabled by default in 2.1. Check the 2.1 upgrade wiki for instructions on making it permanent.
  5.    #5  
    Using the pandora 1.0.4 app i do not have a memory leak issue... Memory climbs slightly up and down, but does not increase infinitely...

Does anyone know if Pandora uses the webOS audio system? i would assume it does, but perhaps through private API's...?
    My phone gets stuck in the mud after playing music for an hour.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    My phone gets stuck in the mud after playing music for an hour.
    Can you follow the steps that i posted in #1 and see if your results are the same? Also, if you're willing to try Pandora and see if this does or doesn't happen, that would be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Have you tried messing with your compcache levels?
    Yes i did. Seems like bigger Compcache results in more issues. When setting it to 32mb I get some stuttering issues. Could that be? I will tinker with it a little more to see if that's the case.

Discovery for now: streaming via Ampache working perfectly fine @800mhz, 10mb compcache, Pre- with webOS 2.1. (RAM / Swap at steady 226 / 12)
    i notice some memory problems too, but with every app. I know i have only 256mb ram in My pre, but ram wont free up again or only very slow. From time to time i deactivate and activate compcache To fix this
    If Pandora does not give you memory problems, the issue is not with audio. It's with the media indexer that music apps use to get access to and manage your music.

By my own tests, it's slower than on 1.4.5 when it comes to adding new music (or at least, does it differently).

I can't say I've experienced my RAM filling up continuously (I only have 256mb), but I do have jstop on Auto Garbage Collection. I'll take it off today and give a look with Koto.

As for Compcache, I took mine down to 16MB. With compcache, it takes longer to access your memory...so I decided to get rid of holdovers with Auto GC and use a lower compcache, rather than raising it and having slower access.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11.    #11  
    OK, given that the media indexer is already known to have issues it seems plausible it has other issues too.

Is there a good way to pin this on that? My dev skills are near zilch, but i can follow instructions well. Is WORM the tool to use? How can i prove what is leaking?
  12.    #12  
    Anyone else having issues playing music on their Pre+ with 2.1? i'm considering a re-doctor, though i'm hoping for a save/restore update that backs up more stuff before i do this...

Right now my phone is pretty much worthless after playing music until i reboot.
  13.    #13  
    Using the pandora 1.0.4 app i do not have a memory leak issue... Memory climbs slightly up and down, but does not increase infinitely...

Does anyone know if Pandora uses the webOS audio system? i would assume it does, but perhaps through private API's...?
    Cancel this earlier post. Pandora seems to cause issues too. After playing a bit of pandora, then closing the app and leaving my phone alone for a couple hours my battery dropped over 30%. this is totally unheard of for where i am (good cellular phone signal, 3g off, wifi on, almost no cards open).
  14.    #14  
    OK. So i found this HP site about WORM: HP webOS Resource Monitor – HP Palm Developer Center, which seems to say that it can only be used for resource monitoring of apps that i create. Unless i'm interpreting that incorrectly, this is not useful.

I think my next step is to confirm that none of the patches that i have installed are causing the issue... I have doubts that this will help, since the issue only arises when i use music players.

I have the following patches installed:
    - Add Date MM DD 2.1.0-2
    - Advanced System Menus - Device Menu
    - Advanced System Menus - Framework
    - Advanced System Menus - Power Menu
    - Battery Percent as icon w/Advanced System Compatibility 2.1.0-1
    - Browser Scrollbar 2.1.0-2
    - Character Counter 2.1.0-17
    - Compose to email 2.1.0-1
    - Enter-key-for-new-line 2.1.0-1
    - GES3d - Black Theme
    - Improved photo naming Pre 2.1.0-3
    - New Card Button 2.1.0-3
    - Save Attachments to downloads folder 2.1.0-1
    - UberCalendar 2.1.0-11
    - Unthrottle download manager 2.1.0-18

I know that i have the wrong Advanced System Menus framework and patches installed, so i'll start there.
    Slightly OT, but re: the comments here on Compcache. I also thought that lower values or disabling Compcache would speed things up, but when I saw the command on the WebOS Internals Wiki to permanently set Compcache to survive a reboot I noticed the suggested command sets the cache to 32 mb. I tried 32, and I gotta say my 2.1 Pre minus with Thunderchief is just ridiculously fast and lag-free at that setting. Multitasking is a total joy. I'd be interested to hear if others have had the same experience.
  16.    #16  
    OK. So i found this HP site about WORM: HP webOS Resource Monitor – HP Palm Developer Center, which seems to say that it can only be used for resource monitoring of apps that i create. Unless i'm interpreting that incorrectly, this is not useful.

I think my next step is to confirm that none of the patches that i have installed are causing the issue... I have doubts that this will help, since the issue only arises when i use music players.

I have the following patches installed:
    - Add Date MM DD 2.1.0-2
    - Advanced System Menus - Device Menu
    - Advanced System Menus - Framework
    - Advanced System Menus - Power Menu
    - Battery Percent as icon w/Advanced System Compatibility 2.1.0-1
    - Browser Scrollbar 2.1.0-2
    - Character Counter 2.1.0-17
    - Compose to email 2.1.0-1
    - Enter-key-for-new-line 2.1.0-1
    - GES3d - Black Theme
    - Improved photo naming Pre 2.1.0-3
    - New Card Button 2.1.0-3
    - Save Attachments to downloads folder 2.1.0-1
    - UberCalendar 2.1.0-11
    - Unthrottle download manager 2.1.0-18

I know that i have the wrong Advanced System Menus framework and patches installed, so i'll start there.
    The Advanced System Menus Framework patch stuck. I knew it was the wrong version of it. I had to run EPR to get this uninstalled. Now i have no memory leak! I'm re-installing patches one by one to try and determine exactly which one was the culprit.
    What do you mean by it stuck? During install?
    Which one did you first try and what are you using now? Just curious.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    What do you mean by it stuck? During install?
    Which one did you first try and what are you using now? Just curious.

I had installed the Advanced System Menus - Framework. My device is non-WR though, so i should have installed the VZW version of it. For whatever reason the "framework" version installed fine. When i tried to remove it though, it wouldn't remove with preware. EPR got rid of it fine.
  19.    #19  
    This seems to be resolved... Must have been that ASM Framework patch... I'll report back tomorrow if things change.
  20.    #20  
    Cancel my previous post. This is not resolved. after about 45 minutes of music playing my memory usage went from about 400MB to now 470MB. the only apps that i loaded were MPR to play tunes, and then Govnah to watch memory usage.

This is so frustrating...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast