Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Speed is not really webOS's problem...honestly, you could get by with 800mhz. I'll probably take it down to 800mhz myself.

Memory is the problem. The difference between 1Ghz and 1.1Ghz is not that much and I had the problem of memory not freeing up (not entirely audio related) on 1Ghz UK.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Speed is not really webOS's problem...honestly, you could get by with 800mhz. I'll probably take it down to 800mhz myself.

Memory is the problem. The difference between 1Ghz and 1.1Ghz is not that much and I had the problem of memory not freeing up (not entirely audio related) on 1Ghz UK.
    I agree with you on this. So if F104a is working better for people, could it be because of a difference in memory management? I know that it has Screenstate v2, which is not in UK, but i can't imagine that would affect memory... I can't find a changelog for F104a. Any idea if/how it might affect memory?
    I know F105 has the VDD2 running at 200mhz. I'm not sure if this is in Uber or F104. Since this is essentially a memory OC then it might make whatever process that's reclaiming memory run a little faster than the other kernels. This is just a theory of course.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I know F105 has the VDD2 running at 200mhz. I'm not sure if this is in Uber or F104. Since this is essentially a memory OC then it might make whatever process that's reclaiming memory run a little faster than the other kernels. This is just a theory of course.
    I'm confused about VDD2, i thought that was processor voltages...?
    Do you know how to see if a kernel is using the 200mhz you're talking about? I see that Govnah has VDD2, but it shows three processor voltages for me. (with Uberkernel).
    VDD1 is processor. Here's a good explanation of VDD2 http://forums.precentral.net/2828130-post835.html What does the frequency say under system voltage? It should be to the left of the voltages.
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    VDD1 is processor. Here's a good explanation of VDD2 http://forums.precentral.net/2828130-post835.html What does the frequency say under system voltage? It should be to the left of the voltages.
    Sorry, i must be missing something. Is this related to the Kernel i have installed and viewable in Govnah, or should i be doing something from the CLI?

Update: figured it out, duh on me. System voltages for UK with a 250/800 screenstate profile are listed as 44 36 30. What does this tell you about how fast the memory is running?
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 04/08/2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Be sure to look under 'System Voltage' and not 'CPU Voltage'. There should only be one frequency & voltage listed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ah.... this could be making sense. With webOS 1.4.5 I ran stock F105 just fine. When I went to 2.1.0 I found F105 to be flakey. Lot's of lockups and massive slowdowns. I tried AV8R which was better, but F104A has been the best. By default F104A holds VDD2 at 44 (1150mV), whereas the others drop to lower voltages. Even with F104A I have been getting some lockups so I am trying changing ONLY one variable and that is setting VDD2 to 46.

All my attempts at playing with VDD1 did not help stability.

Does anyone know what the stock Palm kernel sets VDD2 to?
  9.    #109  
    For some reason compcache is not being initialized properly, or something, when i reboot. To get it to work i have to open Govnah, disable compcache, then enable it. Once i do this i get no stutter once my memory usage hits 488!

I've posted this on the uberkernel thread, though this issue happens with the palm default kernel for me too. Hopefully someone there can pick up the issue and address it. http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...10#post2932510

This doesn't solve the memory leak issue that this post is about, but it seems to fix the stutter that i had been getting. Not sure about other performance issues, but we'll see.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    For some reason compcache is not being initialized properly, or something, when i reboot. To get it to work i have to open Govnah, disable compcache, then enable it. Once i do this i get no stutter once my memory usage hits 488!

I've posted this on the uberkernel thread, though this issue happens with the palm default kernel for me too. Hopefully someone there can pick up the issue and address it. http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...10#post2932510

This doesn't solve the memory leak issue that this post is about, but it seems to fix the stutter that i had been getting. Not sure about other performance issues, but we'll see.
    rwhitby identified this as an issue with switching profiles in Govnah. He had me go to the profiles screen in Govnah, app menu, disable profile, reboot. Then once it booted i selected the profile that i wanted. compcache initialized properly, but I am still experiencing stutter, however, so this has not solved the issue.
  11.    #111  
    Installed F104a today. Set it to a screenstate v2 500/800 profile with all parameters stock. I'm going to run this a few days and see how it goes. Then i may start tweaking voltages a bit.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 04/10/2011 at 10:58 PM.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Installed F104a today. Set it to a screenstate v2 500/800 profile with all parameters stock. I'm going to run this a few days and see how it goes. Then i may start tweaking voltages a bit.
    I experimented a bit with the two default profiles for F104a (one is an ondemand 500/1100 and the other is a screenstate 500/1100). The ondemand was giving me issues where the phone would ramp up to 1.1ghz while it was off and then battery drain in a hurry. The screenstate governor seems to work fine. I created a 500/900 for the sake of processor life and have been enjoying it ever since.

My music still stutters occasionally, but for the most part it is smooth sailing. My memory usage still seems to get quite high, but after closing the app quite a bit is reclaimed, and the device performs well.

As a closing post on this issue i'm going to perform the methodology that i originally proposed and post the results here.
  13.    #113  
    Final test results.
    Using Pre+ on Verizon with 2.1 installed, Govnah 0.7.27 with F104a-35 in a ScreenState v2 500/900 governor.

After reboot: 360/0mb started music playing at 9:37pm
    After playing music: 404mb/0mb stopped playing at 9:57pm
    After closing app: 401mb/0mb.
    After sitting for a few minutes the phone memory decreased again to about 396mb/0mb.

This is a little less memory being consumed than i've seen before, though not much. Could be due to the size of the mp3's that were loaded.

Unless i notice ongoing issues with playing music i am discontinuing this thread. I will update the first post with the recommendation to use F104a.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456