Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I am going to have to concur there is a major issue with playing music (Pandora) and 2.1...

This was seriously in less than 5 minutes... The phone actually completely locked up on me this time, which is a first. Memory 487/Swap 103MB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I don't think Govnah sucking battery really affects the outcome, but it would be fine to close it and re-launch when wanting to check memory usage.

I was trying to get a Terminus working on 2.1 this AM, but i'm having no luck. My experience on 1.4.5 was that this was not an issue, so no, i don't think this will affect you.
    I can't get Terminus to work on my Pre Plus - LOL. So far as I can tell that app sucks on 1.4.5 - but it's the only real option for 1.4.5 right now - correct?

I did notice that after I turned back on all the other services (no longer in airplane mode) the phone's memory use has shot up to 435mb so the creep is minimal compared to the creep for many other items. (on 1.4.5)
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I can't get Terminus to work on my Pre Plus - LOL. So far as I can tell that app sucks on 1.4.5 - but it's the only real option for 1.4.5 right now - correct?

I did notice that after I turned back on all the other services (no longer in airplane mode) the phone's memory use has shot up to 435mb so the creep is minimal compared to the creep for many other items. (on 1.4.5)
    Your post seems mainly off topic... I started a thread for getting Terminus to work on 2.1, which is here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...k-2-1-pre.html.

As far as terminal goes, there is "Terminal" for 1.4.5 which is fully functional to my knowledge. Please post other terminal related threads in a different place. No offense intended, but i want to keep this thread on-track.
    Your post seems mainly off topic... I started a thread for getting Terminus to work on 2.1, which is here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...k-2-1-pre.html.

As far as terminal goes, there is "Terminal" for 1.4.5 which is fully functional to my knowledge. Please post other terminal related threads in a different place. No offense intended, but i want to keep this thread on-track.
    I disagree with your objection. I mentioned Terminal forgetting that it did not work for 2.1 I didn't bring Terminus into the conversation - my point in responding on that point was that I (and some others) have not been able to get the tool to run so there may be issues using it.

The context of all of this was that using a terminal window (whoever supplies) is a better moustrap for resource monitoring than Govnah. Govnah's own creator has advised against running it for long times due to potential for battery drain (and maybe memory)? And yes I saw your thoughts on starting it fresh rather than leaving it running which could fix this objection - have you updated the process and results with this change yet?

The other points in the post were directly on topic and about the results I'm seeing using your method on 1.4.5 for comparison. Lastly the point I tried to make overall is that the creep I see is minimal compared to other demands on memory that I am seeing from synergy etc. I would be curious if this holds true on 2.1 and how this relates to the memory leak condition that you appear to have uncovered in 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacster View Post
    I am going to have to concur there is a major issue with playing music (Pandora) and 2.1...

This was seriously in less than 5 minutes... The phone actually completely locked up on me this time, which is a first. Memory 487/Swap 103MB
    I can attest this is not happening on 1.4.5 as far as I see. I started at 435/0 and ended at 438/0 after 20 mins. Very interesting results guys - and this is consistent across multiple apps and multiple hardware - do all of these use a common API?

Do any other apps that leverage the media api's also have the problem - for example - Angry Birds may not be a music player - but if it leverages that same mechanism to play sounds I wonder if it leaks memory in the same way.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I disagree with your objection. I mentioned Terminal forgetting that it did not work for 2.1 I didn't bring Terminus into the conversation - my point in responding on that point was that I (and some others) have not been able to get the tool to run so there may be issues using it.

The context of all of this was that using a terminal window (whoever supplies) is a better moustrap for resource monitoring than Govnah. Govnah's own creator has advised against running it for long times due to potential for battery drain (and maybe memory)? And yes I saw your thoughts on starting it fresh rather than leaving it running which could fix this objection - have you updated the process and results with this change yet?

The other points in the post were directly on topic and about the results I'm seeing using your method on 1.4.5 for comparison. Lastly the point I tried to make overall is that the creep I see is minimal compared to other demands on memory that I am seeing from synergy etc. I would be curious if this holds true on 2.1 and how this relates to the memory leak condition that you appear to have uncovered in 2.1
    I do appreciate the gusto, so keep it up.

I'm hoping that the thread i started on Terminus for 2.1 will get some traction, at which point i'll update the method in post 25 to use terminus, or terminal, or whatever app works.

I'm afraid that opening and closing Govnah will affect the memory readings by loading and closing an application, which is more of an issue than just leaving it open to suck battery.
    I do appreciate the gusto, so keep it up.

I'm hoping that the thread i started on Terminus for 2.1 will get some traction, at which point i'll update the method in post 25 to use terminus, or terminal, or whatever app works.

I'm afraid that opening and closing Govnah will affect the memory readings by loading and closing an application, which is more of an issue than just leaving it open to suck battery.
    You may have a point. The problems of one may outweigh the other. I have done all of my tests on 1.4.5 with the same method you are using on 2.1 in order to avoid polluting the results. I can try using terminal and compare but I think that I'm not seeing enough change in memory to really see much either way. The results are hard to compare also since I would be loading a different program in memory (Govnah vs. Terminal).
    I'm proposing a more rigorous test methodology to help verify this problem.

1. Turn off all phone radios.
    2. Restart phone. Let it sit for 5 minutes after it is fully booted to ensure that all programs are loaded.
    3. Verify that phone radio is off, if not turn it off. Dismiss any tasks, or calendar reminders.
    4. Launch Govnah using the app launcher. Turn off the screen for at least 1 min to ensure that garbage is collected. Turn the screen back on and write down the memory usage value.
    5. Launch the built in music player and choose "Shuffle all". Let it play over speaker for 20 minutes with the screen off. Do not do anything else on the phone while music is playing! Turn the screen on, pause it.
    6. Switch to govnah. Turn off the screen for at least 1 min to ensure that garbage is collected. Turn the screen back on and record memory usage.
    7. Close the music player. switch back to Govnah. Turn off the screen for at least 1 minute. Turn the screen back on and record the memory usage.

I will be trying this next to verify my problem. If that shows the issue i'm going to try EPR, then do the above again. This should completely rule out any patch influence.
    After Step 4:
    356/0
    After Step 6:
    394/0
    After Step 7:
    394/0

hmmm, then it went to 421/0 (after taking screen shot), 417/0 (another screen shot)

govnah_2011-29-03_144640.png

govnah_2011-29-03_144735.png

Again, using a Sprint Pre 2.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    After Step 4:
    356/0
    After Step 6:
    394/0
    After Step 7:
    394/0

hmmm, then it went to 421/0 (after taking screen shot), 417/0 (another screen shot)

govnah_2011-29-03_144640.png

govnah_2011-29-03_144735.png

Again, using a Sprint Pre 2.
    I would suggest trying again with all radios turned off. If a 'net connection is available background processes may run to fetch mail and other things and change memory usage...

It does look to me like the same problem is present on your Pre2 though.
    Take 2...

After Step 4:
    352/0
    After Step 6:
    408/0
    After Step 7:
    391/0

3-04-352.png
    3-26-408.png
    3-28-391.png

Then restarted the music player for another 20 min...

After Step 6:
    437/0
    After Step 7:
    428/0

3-49-437.png
    3-50-428.png

EDIT: turned on radios, opened email, sent screen shots, closed email and it is now sitting at 454/0

EDIT 2: Granted I have the radios back on, but with only Govnah and the music app as active cards, I am now up to 482/0 nearly an hour later.
    Last edited by sinime; 03/29/2011 at 05:43 PM.
  11.    #71  
    Take 2...

After Step 4:
    352/0
    After Step 6:
    408/0
    After Step 7:
    391/0

Then restarted the music player for another 20 min...

After Step 6:
    437/0
    After Step 7:
    428/0

EDIT: turned on radios, opened email, sent screen shots, closed email and it is now sitting at 454/0
    Looks like about the same order of memory loss that i see...

Too bad you don't have an official device, i'd ask you to report this on the palm support forum...
    LOL, I have govnah running in exhibition mode (I didn't when running the test earlier, but I swear the memory jumped up 4-5 MB when it switched songs a minute ago. I hit next and the memory didn't seem to change. It's floating at 487 - 488 as I type.
    This is a Sprint Pre- running 2.1.0 with UK Screenstate 500/100 and Compcache at default 2.1.0 levels (10MB):

1. 215/0
    2. 228/4
    3. 228/3
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  14.    #74  
    LOL, I have govnah running in exhibition mode (I didn't when running the test earlier, but I swear the memory jumped up 4-5 MB when it switched songs a minute ago. I hit next and the memory didn't seem to change. It's floating at 487 - 488 as I type.
    That number (488ish) is consistent with my experience too. Once my phone hits that it seems to start subtly stuttering during music playback, and gets really laggy. I haven't noticed if the compcache is getting loaded up (the y part of the "X/Y" memory reading), but it might.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    This is a Sprint Pre- running 2.1.0 with UK Screenstate 500/100 and Compcache at default 2.1.0 levels (10MB):

1. 215/0
    2. 228/4
    3. 228/3
    malpha: do you notice any difference in phone performance after running music for a while? The reason i ask is, the memory levels aren't clearly indicating a leak, so if we can figure out why the Pre- isn't effected maybe the same approach can be used on the Pre+/Pre2.
    Well, with the Pre-, there going to be performance issues running multiple apps. With this test, having only the music app opening and radios off (so no notifications or anything), I didn't have any performance issues. Launcher and everything was still smooth (I did the second tests after abou 40 minutes).

However, when I'm using my phone like normal, yes. I have notifications coming in that using Ringtone sounds and generally those cause the media player to pause a second when they come in, but that is the biggest performance issue. I wish you could set notification alerts to use System Sounds, but pick your own System Sound for each app. Oh well.

Of course, if I open a web browser or game, it will slow down more, but other apps don't really affect it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    malpha: do you notice any difference in phone performance after running music for a while? The reason i ask is, the memory levels aren't clearly indicating a leak, so if we can figure out why the Pre- isn't effected maybe the same approach can be used on the Pre+/Pre2.
    I was using Koto player on my 2.1 pre- for about 2 hours while playing racquetball and then checked precentral and found this article. Before playing and after playing i did not notice any change in the overall stability of my device nor did govnah or jstop show anything uncanny going on. It seems to only be pre 2 related so far. I can conduct any test you guys would like me to do if need be...
  18.    #78  
    OK. with some help from oc80z i now know how to get memory usage from novaterm. Anyone who has the SDK installed should be able to do this too.

Basically:
    - Make sure novacomd is running (using either activity monitor on OSx, or Task Manager in Windows). If it isn't running search for "start-novacomd", and run it.
    - find and launch Novaterm (once it launches it should say that your phone is connected. If not you need to run "start-novacomd".
    - type "free" without quotes. It will report the memory usage of your phone.

I'm repeating my procedure from post 25 but instead of Govnah i'm using novaterm to get memory usage. The results are in the screen shots i've attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19.    #79  
    I have what seems to be a partial solution, thanks again to oc80z. After playing music for a long time, the memory fills up. The swap doesn't seem to, strangely...

Anyway, once finished with music close the app, launch jstop and manually garbage collect. This freed up about 60mb for me, which likely makes the phone usable again. I'll post this to the first post as well.

The issue is not fixed, but i'm not optimistic that this can be patched... I think this will need to get fixed in the next webos version.

We still need this issue reported to the official HP support forum by anyone with a supported device running 2.1.
    I don't think it matters which music app you use, they all use the built-in audio system (at least thats my understanding from DanPLC of Music Player Remix).

That is strange that your memory usage went down... This is another Pre- without the problem it seems.
    just to add though, i have experienced very strange performance issues on my pre. i just don't know what caused it. i would have nothing open and it would just not want to do anything, hard to even restart the phone.

EDIT: I'll have to keep a closer eye on what i'm doing before the phone locks up and memory usage goes wild.
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 03/30/2011 at 01:16 AM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast