Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Test 5: all patches installed, but UberKernel removed and using Palm Default kernel
    After reboot: 338mb/0mb
    After playing music: 402mb/0mb
    After closing app: 392mb/0mb

Seems like UberKernel is not the issue...

If i keep letting the music play memory usage continues to increase. I'll do this and report results on this post shortly.

OK. I re-launched the app without a phone reboot, and let music play for another 20 minutes.
    After app-relaunch: 392mb/0mb
    After playing music: 447mb/0mb
    After app close: 442mb/0mb.

I guess the last option here before a re-doctor is to remove all patches AND UberKernel and try this... If i have time i'll try that tomorrow.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 03/26/2011 at 08:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I tested this some while on a flight for about 2 hours. I have a Pre- with 2.1. I barely saw any memory usage in Govnah. Maybe 5-10mb which was cleared after I closed the music player.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I've been having issues as well, that seem to be a memory leak. I thought it was kernel related (AV8B) but I will keep my eye on my Pre with UK after using Dr. Podder
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    I've been having issues as well, that seem to be a memory leak. I thought it was kernel related (AV8B) but I will keep my eye on my Pre with UK after using Dr. Podder
    I'm guessing from your avatar that you're on a vzw pre plus?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    I tested this some while on a flight for about 2 hours. I have a Pre- with 2.1. I barely saw any memory usage in Govnah. Maybe 5-10mb which was cleared after I closed the music player.
    Thanks for testing this. I'll have to try and find other pre- folks who can do the same and report their results.
    Here are some more data points.

Device: Sprint Palm Pre -
    Version: webOS 2.1.0
    Date Installed: 03/25/2011
    Kernel: None installed
    Patches: None installed

Test 1:
    Airplane mode, music app, music: John Legend & The roots
    After reboot: 236/0
    After playing music for 45 mins: 235/0
    After closing music app: 235/0

Test 2:
    Airplane mode, music app, charging, music: Adele
    After reboot: 232/0
    After playing music for 35 mins: 232/3
    After closing music app: 232/3

Test 3:
    3G, music app, music: A Fine Frenzy
    After reboot: 232/7
    After playing music for 55 mins:
    233/32
    After closing music app: 233/32

It doesn't seem like the music app is leaking anything, but there's still a chance it could be bad music!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post

Test 1:

Test 2:

Test 3:
    233/32

It doesn't seem like the music app is leaking anything, but there's still a chance it could be bad music!!

Thanks for your tests. Good to have more data on this.

One question i have about the Pre-, is how the 256MB memory changes this. Basically that phone has no memory to leak, so maybe this isn't a valid test...?
    The 256 on Pre- can't possibly make any difference.

At least not to the extent that the memory usage of applications would be handled differently.

The Sprint Pre- would of course complain earlier than the Pre + or Pre 2 because of it's lesser memory.

Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Thanks for your tests. Good to have more data on this.

One question i have about the Pre-, is how the 256MB memory changes this. Basically that phone has no memory to leak, so maybe this isn't a valid test...?

Last edited by DumbPreCommenter; 03/27/2011 at 07:46 PM.
  9.    #49  
    The 256 on Pre- can't possibly make any difference.

At least not to the extent that the memory usage of applications would be handled differently.

The Sprint Pre- would of course complain earlier than the Pre + or Pre 2 because of it's lesser memory.
    um, ok. You seem quite certain about this assertion. Can you please back this up with some concrete reasoning?

Perhaps the memory leak doesn't affect Pre- devices because any additional memory usage must be absorbed by Compcache (since 232MB essentially means you have 0mb free out of 256mb ram because of how the system handles physical memory). So instead of the leak filling up the physical memory it tries to fill up compcache, but is dumped by that process. This is speculation based on the two reports in this thread that the Pre- is not susceptible to this problem. There are reports from at least 3 Pre+, and one Pre2 user who has this problem.
    It was really just a conjecture.

I didn't account for compcache, so maybe the tests should include turning off compcache since, as you correctly stated, it could be concealing actual memory leaks on the Pre-.

I will re-run the test with: no kernels, no patches and no compcache.

Thanks!

um, ok. You seem quite certain about this assertion. Can you please back this up with some concrete reasoning?

Perhaps the memory leak doesn't affect Pre- devices because any additional memory usage must be absorbed by Compcache (since 232MB essentially means you have 0mb free out of 256mb ram because of how the system handles physical memory). So instead of the leak filling up the physical memory it tries to fill up compcache, but is dumped by that process. This is speculation based on the two reports in this thread that the Pre- is not susceptible to this problem. There are reports from at least 3 Pre+, and one Pre2 user who has this problem.
    Last edited by DumbPreCommenter; 03/28/2011 at 02:37 AM.

Test 1:

Test 2:

Test 3:
    233/32

Lol @ bad music. Good choices
    here by the way
    I'm proposing a more rigorous test methodology to help verify this problem.

1. Turn off all phone radios.
    2. Restart phone. Let it sit for 5 minutes after it is fully booted to ensure that all programs are loaded.
    3. Verify that phone radio is off, if not turn it off. Dismiss any tasks, or calendar reminders.
    4. Launch Govnah using the app launcher. Turn off the screen for at least 1 min to ensure that garbage is collected. Turn the screen back on and write down the memory usage value.
    5. Launch the built in music player and choose "Shuffle all". Let it play over speaker for 20 minutes with the screen off. Do not do anything else on the phone while music is playing! Turn the screen on, pause it.
    6. Switch to govnah. Turn off the screen for at least 1 min to ensure that garbage is collected. Turn the screen back on and record memory usage.
    7. Close the music player. switch back to Govnah. Turn off the screen for at least 1 minute. Turn the screen back on and record the memory usage.

I will be trying this next to verify my problem. If that shows the issue i'm going to try EPR, then do the above again. This should completely rule out any patch influence.
    Potential monkey wrench:
    http://forums.precentral.net/2918575-post1497.html

Govnah is not intended to be left running like this. It can and will suck the battery per the webOSInternals folks.

You might want to monitor ram by using Terminal and simply running the FREE command and then collecting the data in these steps where you say to go to Govnah.

Does anyone know if this affects webOS 1.4.5? I will be happy to do these tests using 1.4.5 and report back what my Pre Plus experiences.
    My results using Pre Plus on 1.4.5
    324mb starting state after reboot 5 min settle in etc.
    played music 20 mins with screen off
    345mb after screen off 1 min
    Tossed Music player out and screen off another 1 min
    333mb final value.

Looks like minimal creep at best. I can repeat with longer durations or other options as desired.
    Always had music playback problems, both on my Pre and Pre Plus.

Frequently when I pause the player, go to another app or answer the phone, music won't resume when I go back. Sometimes it's not even opening an app, just leaving my phone charging and going back to the music player when I'm on my way to work. I always had to go back a song and go forward before it'll start playing again. Sometimes even that doesn't work, I need to throw the Music Player card away and restart it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Just wanted to add my info. I have had times where 2.1.0 flies and has no problem on my pre minus, but there have been other times that it gets so bogged down that i can barely restart my pre. THe one thing about this is that i NEVER use the built in music app.

Kernel: UberKernal Screenstate 500/1000
    Patches: A bunch

Test:
    No connections, music app running per suggested test
    After reboot: 220/0
    After playing music : 2218/0
    After closing music app: 213/0

This doesn't make sense to me that it would go down in usage but its what happened...
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Just wanted to add my info. I have had times where 2.1.0 flies and has no problem on my pre minus, but there have been other times that it gets so bogged down that i can barely restart my pre. THe one thing about this is that i NEVER use the built in music app.

Kernel: UberKernal Screenstate 500/1000
    Patches: A bunch

Test:
    No connections, music app running per suggested test
    After reboot: 220/0
    After playing music : 2218/0
    After closing music app: 213/0

This doesn't make sense to me that it would go down in usage but its what happened...
    I don't think it matters which music app you use, they all use the built-in audio system (at least thats my understanding from DanPLC of Music Player Remix).

That is strange that your memory usage went down... This is another Pre- without the problem it seems.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Potential monkey wrench:
    http://forums.precentral.net/2918575-post1497.html

Govnah is not intended to be left running like this. It can and will suck the battery per the webOSInternals folks.

You might want to monitor ram by using Terminal and simply running the FREE command and then collecting the data in these steps where you say to go to Govnah.

Does anyone know if this affects webOS 1.4.5? I will be happy to do these tests using 1.4.5 and report back what my Pre Plus experiences.
    I don't think Govnah sucking battery really affects the outcome, but it would be fine to close it and re-launch when wanting to check memory usage.

I was trying to get a Terminus working on 2.1 this AM, but i'm having no luck. My experience on 1.4.5 was that this was not an issue, so no, i don't think this will affect you.

Edit: posted about getting terminus to work on 2.1 here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...k-2-1-pre.html. any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 03/29/2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    This may just be anecdotal evidence, but I've found that leaving Music Player Remix up on my 2.1 Pre- (UK 64MB compcache) just kills the phone's performance. It seems to get worse over time. When I've had it up for hours with a podcast paused, the phone gets really buggy until I get rid of the Music Player. It also eats up battery much quicker. When I don't have the Music Player Remix open, my phone has no issues at all.

Not sure if that helps, just relaying what I've found.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by veelo2 View Post
    This may just be anecdotal evidence, but I've found that leaving Music Player Remix up on my 2.1 Pre- (UK 64MB compcache) just kills the phone's performance. It seems to get worse over time. When I've had it up for hours with a podcast paused, the phone gets really buggy until I get rid of the Music Player. It also eats up battery much quicker. When I don't have the Music Player Remix open, my phone has no issues at all.

Not sure if that helps, just relaying what I've found.
    I would love to know if this happens for all music applications, or only Music Player Remix. Could you try this with the built-in music player? Try it with Koto, or the new Audiophile player?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'll give it a shot and let you know.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast