Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Could be bad music?! 8o)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I had installed the Advanced System Menus - Framework. My device is non-WR though, so i should have installed the VZW version of it. For whatever reason the "framework" version installed fine. When i tried to remove it though, it wouldn't remove with preware. EPR got rid of it fine.
    i am on a sprint pre- and used the legacy device version for everything. are you on a vzw device. i thought that was for pre2 devices
    What happens when you force garbage collection in JSTop?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    What happens when you force garbage collection in JSTop?
    Basically nothing. The memory usage level stays the same, or decreases by a few MB.

I've also tried monitoring memory usage (sort by memory usage) with JStop, but it doesn't show anything useful (that i can tell, anyway).
  5.    #25  
    I'm proposing a more rigorous test methodology to help verify this problem.

1. Turn off all phone radios.
    2. Restart phone. Let it sit for 5 minutes after it is fully booted to ensure that all programs are loaded.
    3. Verify that phone radio is off, if not turn it off. Dismiss any tasks, or calendar reminders.
    4. Launch Govnah using the app launcher. Turn off the screen for at least 1 min to ensure that garbage is collected. Turn the screen back on and write down the memory usage value.
    5. Launch the built in music player and choose "Shuffle all". Let it play over speaker for 20 minutes with the screen off. Do not do anything else on the phone while music is playing! Turn the screen on, pause it.
    6. Switch to govnah. Turn off the screen for at least 1 min to ensure that garbage is collected. Turn the screen back on and record memory usage.
    7. Close the music player. switch back to Govnah. Turn off the screen for at least 1 minute. Turn the screen back on and record the memory usage.

I will be trying this next to verify my problem. If that shows the issue i'm going to try EPR, then do the above again. This should completely rule out any patch influence.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 03/25/2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Edit: Clarified the procedure.
    Could you post this in the offical Support Forum?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by venox View Post
    Could you post this in the offical Support Forum?
    Happy to, but not sure what you're talking about. PM sent for more information. I'll post it here when i get an answer back.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i'm also having problems with memory. i have an o2 pre plus, upgraded to 2.1. i have no patches installed, no over-clocking, just the "stock" 2.1 that metadoctor installed for me.

my phone seems to get more and more sluggish over time. i sometimes get "too many cards" error, which i never once had on 1.4.5. it seemed to happen mostly when i was running spotify. the stock music player sometimes skips and pauses here and there. i use spotify more often though, so it's possible that they both suffer the same issues.

all this seems to be consistent with a memory issue in the system audio.

i'm doing some similar tests to what you've done (observing available memory with govnah whist playing music) and i'll report back with my findings.

thanks for kicking off this thread, NickVTPre. hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

i can't offer any help with WORM and things like that. i'm a programmer and have dabbled with webos development, but this sort of thing is beyond my powers at this stage.
  9.    #29  
    I performed two tests this AM following the procedure that i outlined in this post:http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2919798.
    Here are my results:

Test 1: Fully patched system. The list of patches i have installed is listed on post number 14 or 15 i believe.
    After reboot: 345MB/0MB, started playing music at 9:26am
    After playing music: 418MB/0MB, stopped playing music at 9:48am
    After closing program: i did not add this step in the procedure until after this test was done.

Test 2: Removed all patches with EPR, perfomed full reboot.
    After reboot: 332MB/0MB, started playing music at 10:26am
    After playing music: 394MB/0MB, stopped playing music at 10:47am
    After closing program: i modified my methodology again here, so i did not do this step until after i played music again for 20 more minutes. After playing music from 10:48 to 11:06 my memory went to 426MB/0MB. After closing the app memory usage went to 417MB/0MB.

I realize that changing the methodology midstream is not the best way to get consistent results, so i will try to test again without changes.

I would say these initial results show that this is not patch related.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    okay i've been playing music for about 40 minutes now.

memory began at about 390. this is just after a reboot.
    now it is at 483 and the phone is becoming unresponsive.

i just noticed that the music has stopped. perhaps i'd bumped the pause button on the headphones when i went out for coffee. no idea how long i was playing music for then! at least 25 minutes though.

i'll reboot and try the same thing with spotify and report the results.
  11.    #31  
    Followed my methodology in post 25 exactly.

Test 3:
    No patches installed, used built in music player.
    After reboot: 334mb/0mb
    After music plays: 398mb/0mb
    After app close: 388mb/0mb

This is definitely pointing to a non-patch related issue with webos audio...

The questions are:
    - how do we pinpoint the cause?
    - what can be done about it?
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    memory after reboot: 370MB
    after launching spotify: 391MB
    after playing music for 35mins: 450MB
    after quitting spotify: 430MB

something fishy is going on!

as NickVTPre says, how do we pinpoint it and what is the cause? i don't know what to do from here, off the top of my head.
    yeah, my music players all seem to slow down and stutter, lag on the play/pause, etc after being open for a little while. really frustrating, actually
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryebread6790 View Post
    yeah, my music players all seem to slow down and stutter, lag on the play/pause, etc after being open for a little while. really frustrating, actually
    Can you quantify this a bit better? What device and what os version?
    Then follow the method in post 25 and report your results. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Can you quantify this a bit better? What device and what os version?
    Then follow the method in post 25 and report your results. Thanks!
    Should I change my overclock back to the palm default? palm pre-, 2.1.0

I'll edit this post after I do the check.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryebread6790 View Post
    Should I change my overclock back to the palm default? palm pre-, 2.1.0

I'll edit this post after I do the check.
    I'm not sure it matters. You could try both ways and report results. I did mine overclocked. I'll try with the palm kernel to see.
    K, sum ting wong. Pre 2 giving TMC (lol, side note, pre "auto-corrects TMC to TIC, lol HP doesn't want to admit it) Anyhow, I'll get tic after using pre 2 for a while. Will try not to open music app and see if it is related.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    K, sum ting wong. Pre 2 giving TMC (lol, side note, pre "auto-corrects TMC to TIC, lol HP doesn't want to admit it) Anyhow, I'll get tic after using pre 2 for a while. Will try not to open music app and see if it is related.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Thanks for the post. If this is happening on the Pre2, this is (sort of) good news, in that it means the problem is with the 2.1 code, and not hardware specific.

Please use the procedure in post #25 (http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2919798) when you test this so that we can all be reporting results from similar tests.

Edit: the reason this is a good thing is that folks who have officially supported devices can report this problem on the palm support page and get some traction for a fix.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 03/26/2011 at 12:05 AM.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i'm also having problems with memory. i have an o2 pre plus, upgraded to 2.1. i have no patches installed, no over-clocking, just the "stock" 2.1 that metadoctor installed for me.
    I sent you a PM to this effect, but just in case you read this post first: I think you have an officially supported release of 2.1...? If so, please post this issue to the official Palm Support page so that we can get some feedback on this issue from HP. (Palm.com : Support). That link may or may not work for you, but you can definitely google "palm support" and get it too.
  20.    #40  
    Test 4: all patches installed, using "palm default" kernel settings on UK 2.1.0-18
    After reboot: 341mb/0mb
    After music playing: 402mb/0mb
    After app close: 392mb/0mb

I have not verified that this is the case with the palm kernel. I will do so tomorrow.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast