Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    WebOS is based on linux, like Android, so I assume a similar boot time for the linux side of things. But then Android loads much faster.

E.g. On my 1ghz dell streak it takes about 30 seconds.

My 1ghz Pre2 takes 2 minutes.

I can't fathom why it takes 4 times as long.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    It is what it is. How come you arent saying.
    How come my android phone cant multitask well. Why cant it do basic functions without having to "touch" it so much. Why cant android do this or that. Why are you only complaining about webos cant do... battery and start up
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    The answer is obvious. You know how it's called webOS? Well the OS is on the web. Your phone downloads and installs the OS every time it boots.
    It's actually a good question.

I have an extra battery that I resist using due to that 5+ minute boot-up time.

Dagnabit. Even Windows 7 boots faster than my Pre. >_< I know, I know, hardware differences. But oh well.

In retrospect, what's the cold boot-up time for the Pre 2? Or maybe the TouchPad? That should be closer to my old Compaq specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    It is what it is. How come you arent saying.
    How come my android phone cant multitask well. Why cant it do basic functions without having to "touch" it so much. Why cant android do this or that. Why are you only complaining about webos cant do... battery and start up
    Thats a stupid reply and doesnt answer OP's question
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    WebOS is based on linux, like Android, so I assume a similar boot time for the linux side of things. But then Android loads much faster.

E.g. On my 1ghz dell streak it takes about 30 seconds.

My 1ghz Pre2 takes 2 minutes.

I can't fathom why it takes 4 times as long.

it is a good question, though android is based on componets of the linux kernel not fully at all, where as Webos is completly linux. My thoughts are that because Webos is still nowhere optimized to the point of where it should be as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    The answer is obvious. You know how it's called webOS? Well the OS is on the web. Your phone downloads and installs the OS every time it boots.
    This is not the answer. The only thing the phone is doing when it boots related to the web is accessing synergy services for changes and updates. Its not "downloadng and installing the os" lol.

For the answer to the Pre2 boot time, it takes about 2 minutes to cold boot and about 45 seconds to restart.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Thats a stupid reply and doesnt answer OP's question
    Thanks for your insightful answer.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    This is not the answer. The only thing the phone is doing when it boots related to the web is accessing synergy services for changes and updates. Its not "downloadng and installing the os" lol.

For the answer to the Pre2 boot time, it takes about 2 minutes to cold boot and about 45 seconds to restart.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Whatever, dude. it's called webOS. It's in the name. What are you an engineer?
    Whatever, dude. it's called webOS. It's in the name. What are you an engineer?
    You can't really be serious? Moon pies must come from the moon then, since it's in the name...

Back to the topic. I think once they get the OS ironed out a little more we'll see faster boot times. They have yet to utilize their newly acquired instant on technology, maybe they'll use it in WebOS.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I also have an old netbook loading Ubuntu UNR, which I assume also loads a pretty complete linux. This boots up in less than a minute, from a hard drive, which I assume is slower than SSD where webos gets it from.

I'm not 'complaining' i'd just like to understand where the hold up is.... For e.g. It could be doing a **** on the storage area everytime.

I'm not the kind of person to accept 'it is what it is'. That kind of thinking stifles creativity and invention.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Btw the asterisks are f s c k, the linux command.... FFS....

I've experienced this:
    After fresh doctored my device (Pre-) takes about 2 minutes to boot.
    After installing all apps and synchronizing all e-mails/contacts/..., it takes about 5+ minutes to boot.

Speculations:
    - cryptofs takes forever to initialize if the FAT partition is big (and even if it's not causing the long boot time, cryptofs should be removed! It makes the OS only slower...)
    - database initializations take really long: maybe all databases are loaded into RAM?! (but I don't think so)
    - ...?

Edit - no speculations, but facts:
    - from what I know all apps get rescanned every reboot
    - every reboot the App Catalog app gets reinstalled (at least in webOS 2.1.0)

other speculations:
    - the media/file indexer starts from zero and scans all files
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    You can't really be serious? Moon pies must come from the moon then, since it's in the name...

Back to the topic. I think once they get the OS ironed out a little more we'll see faster boot times. They have yet to utilize their newly acquired instant on technology, maybe they'll use it in WebOS.
    mmmm I want a moon pie now.

I don't think it has to do with anything needing ironed out or the OS being unoptimized or such... Loading data from the Flash memory to the ram only takes so much time. Being that it takes the Pre ridiculously longer than similar devices and OS's it leads me to believe that Palm is doing something specific during the boot that no one else does. I would guess it's some sort a system/file integrity scan. Perhaps it's syncing with palm profile or other synergy checks.

I wonder if it takes more or less time if you have no network. someone check, quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I've experienced this:
    After fresh doctored my device (Pre-) takes about 2 minutes to boot.
    After installing all apps and synchronizing all e-mails/contacts/..., it takes about 5+ minutes to boot.

Speculations:
    - cryptofs takes forever to initialize if the FAT partition is big (and even if it's not causing the long boot time, cryptofs should be removed! It makes the OS only slower...)
    - database initializations take really long: maybe all databases are loaded into RAM?! (but I don't think so)
    - ...?

Edit - no speculations, but facts:
    - from what I know all apps get rescanned every reboot
    - every reboot the App Catalog app gets reinstalled (at least in webOS 2.1.0)

other speculations:
    - the media/file indexer starts from zero and scans all files

Ok heres my question on this....WHY does the entire filesystem have to be rescanned? Is this like windows when it scans sometimes during bootup "Some of your files need to be scanned for consistency...."???
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Blackberry OS takes over TEN minutes to restart. Compared to that, I'd say webOS 2.1.0 is rather fast. My personal experinece is:
    Pre + with webOS 1.4.5 = 3.5 minutes (restart)
    Pre 2 with webOS 2.1.0 = 5.5 minutes (restart)
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    This is a serious problem and not just for webOS. A smartphone needs to be available to its user instantly. Most smartphones are relatively slow booting and this has gotten worse over the years. I remember people complaining about the Treo 680's almost sixty second boot up time five years ago. A lot of this is the fact that smartphone computing is relatively young as compared to desktop computing. Windows used to take about a minute to boot up but Windows 7 and Snow Leopard can take as little as twenty seconds to boot -- less if you are booting off a solid-state drive. The next big challenge for smartphone makers will be to optimize their devices for speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Ok heres my question on this....WHY does the entire filesystem have to be rescanned? Is this like windows when it scans sometimes during bootup "Some of your files need to be scanned for consistency...."???
    Good point. This is were different technologies I assume come in. The reason why HTC is able to get their newer devices to boot in 5 seconds is because it saves a hibernating version of it before powering down. This way it does not need to scan any files but the saved hibernating one. I think that WebOS's solution will lye in the new Instant On tech HP got a bit ago. That is, in the future.

And to everyone in these little arguments, don't be mean, you can disagree nicely. Different ideas create a better community so embrace other opinions. This is why companies like Kyocera created a good idea (the Sprint Echo) but failed to succeed at it because there may have been only a few point of views running the show. (No I am not saying I have never been unnecessarily mean before)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I'm not sure at this point. But what I know is that all applications are rescanned (appinfo.json files) and for example it marks PDK files (plugins, ...) as executable if they weren't.

I'm sure HP could use far more caching at things like that, and I hope they'll do that.
    The phone actually has to download, and install, the entire web every time it boots.

Well, not exactly the entire web though. 75% of the web aren't loaded because 1) Pr0n sites are mostly flash which doesn't work anyway and 2) Only very specific pr0n is needed for the correct working of webOS, and trying to overwrite Bootie is probably a very bad idea.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast