Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ok, so let me start out by saying that I have been using palm products since '99 with a pilot, then all the way through with all the treo models and now have the original pre (never had to replace it). I am one of many who hopelessly await a new device, however, have serious doubts about HP's ability to play in this space long term. The Pre 3 rivals the iphone 4 and by the time it comes out the iphone 5 will be out. HP would literally have to release the Pre 3 now and have something ready in the hopper for at or around the time the iphone 5 comes out. We know that this is not going to happen and I feel that because of this, as well as other operating systems agressively releasing products from now until the summer, HP might have a serious problem capturing the market share that they will need to continue this operating system in the long run. Not to mention they will continue to have a serious problem getting developers to build apps for the platform which is the easiest way to deflect consumer base these days (we love our apps!). Either way, I continue dangling on by a thread.

Ok, so onto my senario. My brand loyalty has never been challenged as much as it has this week. As I am growing more and more impatient and frustrated every day, I am faced with the fact that my wife and I (newly married) are going to join plans. I have been trying to get her onto webos since it has come out, but she never really needed to upgrade or cared. She has no brand loyalty to anyone, so this would not be a hard sell, she just hasn't needed to upgrade yet because she uses the phone for simplistic purposes. However now her current phone is broken and needs a new one right away. Perfect time for me to get her on a new platform as we have to join plans ... you would think.

So here's the deal ... I am with Sprint who will give me the best rates for being a premeire customer; however, I have no idea if they are going to be getting the Pre 3. I want my wife and I to have the same operating system, whatever it is. So I started exploring iphone providers and was really close to scrapping webos and Sprint altogether. I figured it didn't make sense to go with the pre 2 with Verizon since new phones are on the horizon. Android phones were another option, however, I must admit, I am mystified by the iphone. So if I were to switch at all it would be to go with good 'ole apple! So I almost made a plan to go to a verizon store this weekend and pick up two shiny new iphones and a family plan, however, here is what I did, let me know what you think:

I called sprint to see what they could do for me being a premeire customer. They offered me a pixi for free ... I am talking no activation, shipping, nada! They also offered me an unlimited family plan for $99/month with my corp discount. They obviously had no visibility into whether or not they would carry the Pre 3. I decided to take a chance and go with it. My logic here is give my wife the pixi so she can at least get onto the same operating system as me (one that I would step in front of a bullet for ... and my wife too of course!). I have 30 days to cancel the contract without getting assessed the cancellation fee, so if I happen to hear that Sprint will not carry the pre 3 within 30 days (which I am hoping to know either way by then) I can cancel and go with the iphone. If they will carry the 3, I wait til the summer and upgrade both our phones to the 3. It is also important to note that getting the pixi for free will not reduce my upgrade options since I am due for an upgrade now.

Do you guys think I made the right choice? I am to a certain extent putting my faith in webos to continue going forward, however, worst case I will just be out the contract cancellation fee for signing my wife up to Sprint and wasted time continuing to stay on webos. Would love to know your thoughts!

Thanks,
    Chris
    my guess is we will hear within 30 days about carriers for the new phones
    Pretty hard to tell you if you made the right choice or not... it's your choice. But I honestly have no doubts that there will be a webOS device on Sprint. It's a subjective call that only you can make, but I'd have done the same thing. Others will tell you it was a mistake. In the end, I'm expecting a good outcome for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Pretty hard to tell you if you made the right choice or not... it's your choice. But I honestly have no doubts that there will be a webOS device on Sprint. It's a subjective call that only you can make, but I'd have done the same thing. Others will tell you it was a mistake. In the end, I'm expecting a good outcome for you.
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If she likes the Pixi, you are a hero - if she doesn't, you'll be sleeping on the couch next to the dog for a while.

Having said that, it appears, honestly, that you were just trying to give her what you feel would be the best phone you knew of, that you could help her with, since you knew WebOS well.

"Good intentions" should go a long way in getting you off the couch and back into the bedroom much sooner, if she doesnt like the Pixi.

As an aisde, its a difficult place that current WebOS users are in, these days, if they are looking for a new device - currently, the choices are very slim - and that really isnt fair, and it certainly is an unjust reward for "brand loyalty", for sure - it would have been a much easier decision for you, it seems, if the Veer and Pre3 had been released by now, to good acclaim.

HP, are you reading this???

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I think at this point they are between a rock and a hard place. They may have a good idea of what carriers the phones are coming to, and could probably tell us today... but if they did, and it didn't pan out, we'd have another 2/9 debacle.
    However, every day that they don't announce carriers they lose customers...
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

As an aisde, its a difficult place that current WebOS users are in, these days, if they are looking for a new device - currently, the choices are very slim - and that really isnt fair, and it certainly is an unjust reward for "brand loyalty", for sure - it would have been a much easier decision for you, it seems, if the Veer and Pre3 had been released by now, to good acclaim.

HP, are you reading this???

It would have been an easy decision for me if the Pre 3 was available now, not the Veer. To me the Veer is a completely useless device and I think it is going to do horribly.

Here's why (not going to make a statement like that without backing it up): People care very very much about 'capability'. What I exactly mean by that is even if people are not going to use functions they still like to know they will have it. This happens with cars, tvs, computers, even freakin suitcases. Take something like the front facing camera, something that the veer doesn't have. People may never even use this once, but just knowing that other top of the line phones out there have it but the Veer does not have the capability, this might be a deal breaker. Let's face it, as much as some people hate the iphone and what it stands for, it did set a major bar and continues to with each major enhancement. It is an industry leader and everybody is going to be comparing a competing phone that they are thinking of buying to what the iphone has the 'capability' to do ... or what the iphone competitors who have emulated the iphone have the capability to do. Not saying the Veer does not have a market, but what I am saying is it is not even close to large enough to even make a dent in webos's market share, especially with the pre 3 coming out soon after. If you took a poll of webos enthusiasts (newbies or old schoolers) looking to buy a new webos device I would go out on a limb to guess that 95% would wait for the 3. I put the Veer in the same category as the Pre 2 right now, which is pointless. Not sure if anyone else agrees.
    Can't say I agree. I'll be getting a veer if it connects to the TouchPad like the Pre 3 will.

And to the OP - I would have made the same move. Good luck on making your moves in the future.

~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    No equivocation from me - I think you made an outstanding choice given your immediate situation. As for me, I like my iPhone 4 but.... the Veer could make me come back to webOS. The Pre 3 really doesn't interest me at all, strangely enough.
    It probably would have been a easy decision for you if Sprint had a Pre 2 on the shelf.

It's hard to understand why Sprint didn't want to have the Pre 2 in there line up. I mean Sprint has all this user base with these aging phones. Even if they didn't have a huge amount of people purchasing them new, they would always sell some to people who's phones are dying. I mean it's better than having them switching networks just to have a WebOS device.

Just my thoughts.
    You don't need Sprint to have the Pre 2 if you want a Pre 2 on Sprint.

-- Sent from my Sprint Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    If your wife keeps the pixi, how will you upgrade her to a Pre 3 when it is released this summer? Will you pay full price for hers?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    If your wife keeps the pixi, how will you upgrade her to a Pre 3 when it is released this summer? Will you pay full price for hers?
    Yes, full price for hers and discounted price for me ... still better case scenario than getting 2 full price iphones right now.
    I would have bought a used Sprint Pre or Pixi on Ebay or Craigslist and saved the upgrade for new gen hardware. You can find them for $30-80. Think about it this way, your upgrade is worth ~$200, why settle for a $40 phone? I know new Verizon Pixi's have regularly been selling for $40-55 NEW!
    Am I summing this up right?
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    ...Sprint...offered [my wife] a pixi for free...I decided to take a chance and go with it...Do you guys think I made the right choice?
    The Pre 3 and Veer are coming out this summer.

Now your wife will have a Pixi until 2013? Or pay full price ($599?) this summer?

You could buy a used Pre on eBay for almost nothing and have no commitment.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/18/2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    I would have bought a used Sprint Pre or Pixi on Ebay or Craigslist and saved the upgrade for new gen hardware. You can find them for $30-80. Think about it this way, your upgrade is worth ~$200, why settle for a $40 phone? I know new Verizon Pixi's have regularly been selling for $40-55 NEW!
    Like I said in my original post, this did not take away from my upgrade option. So I am still eligible this summer. That was a major factor in this decision.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Am I summing this up right?
    The Pre 3 and Veer are coming out this summer.

Now your wife will have a Pixi until 2013? Or pay full price ($599?) this summer?

You could buy a used Pre on eBay for almost nothing and have no commitment.
    Wait, wouldn't she still have to sign a contract with Sprint for the service even if she got the phone online?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I woke up this morning and am feeling very impulsive! Someone try to talk me out of getting 2 new iphones today with Verizon ...
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I say more then likely the pre3 will be coming to sprint. And if u want to go to iOS that's your call but as a avid webOS lover and user myself. And owning a iPod touch, first gen iPad. I dislike iOS to webos greatly and I'm definitely gonna stick it out for a pre3. It's a good platform and all but webos is definitely the better os.
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    I woke up this morning and am feeling very impulsive! Someone try to talk me out of getting 2 new iphones today with Verizon ...
    If you want one of us to talk you out of it, are you really sure you want them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast