03/18/2011, 02:09 PM
Ok, so let me start out by saying that I have been using palm products since '99 with a pilot, then all the way through with all the treo models and now have the original pre (never had to replace it). I am one of many who hopelessly await a new device, however, have serious doubts about HP's ability to play in this space long term. The Pre 3 rivals the iphone 4 and by the time it comes out the iphone 5 will be out. HP would literally have to release the Pre 3 now and have something ready in the hopper for at or around the time the iphone 5 comes out. We know that this is not going to happen and I feel that because of this, as well as other operating systems agressively releasing products from now until the summer, HP might have a serious problem capturing the market share that they will need to continue this operating system in the long run. Not to mention they will continue to have a serious problem getting developers to build apps for the platform which is the easiest way to deflect consumer base these days (we love our apps!). Either way, I continue dangling on by a thread.
Ok, so onto my senario. My brand loyalty has never been challenged as much as it has this week. As I am growing more and more impatient and frustrated every day, I am faced with the fact that my wife and I (newly married) are going to join plans. I have been trying to get her onto webos since it has come out, but she never really needed to upgrade or cared. She has no brand loyalty to anyone, so this would not be a hard sell, she just hasn't needed to upgrade yet because she uses the phone for simplistic purposes. However now her current phone is broken and needs a new one right away. Perfect time for me to get her on a new platform as we have to join plans ... you would think.
So here's the deal ... I am with Sprint who will give me the best rates for being a premeire customer; however, I have no idea if they are going to be getting the Pre 3. I want my wife and I to have the same operating system, whatever it is. So I started exploring iphone providers and was really close to scrapping webos and Sprint altogether. I figured it didn't make sense to go with the pre 2 with Verizon since new phones are on the horizon. Android phones were another option, however, I must admit, I am mystified by the iphone. So if I were to switch at all it would be to go with good 'ole apple! So I almost made a plan to go to a verizon store this weekend and pick up two shiny new iphones and a family plan, however, here is what I did, let me know what you think:
I called sprint to see what they could do for me being a premeire customer. They offered me a pixi for free ... I am talking no activation, shipping, nada! They also offered me an unlimited family plan for $99/month with my corp discount. They obviously had no visibility into whether or not they would carry the Pre 3. I decided to take a chance and go with it. My logic here is give my wife the pixi so she can at least get onto the same operating system as me (one that I would step in front of a bullet for ... and my wife too of course!). I have 30 days to cancel the contract without getting assessed the cancellation fee, so if I happen to hear that Sprint will not carry the pre 3 within 30 days (which I am hoping to know either way by then) I can cancel and go with the iphone. If they will carry the 3, I wait til the summer and upgrade both our phones to the 3. It is also important to note that getting the pixi for free will not reduce my upgrade options since I am due for an upgrade now.
Do you guys think I made the right choice? I am to a certain extent putting my faith in webos to continue going forward, however, worst case I will just be out the contract cancellation fee for signing my wife up to Sprint and wasted time continuing to stay on webos. Would love to know your thoughts!